Gamestop.com/EBgames.com Promo Codes

d4rk

CAG Veteran
Gamestop/EBgames (online) codes and Special Offers

(Last Update: May 10th, 2011)

Valid Promotional Codes (as of 4/3):

VSHIP
- Free value shipping on orders of $24.99 or more. Offer excludes game consoles. Expires 4/30 - Doesn't seem to stack with PUR and CAG16 at the same time. This is the successor to the now defunct SAVER code. Not valid on preorders.
CAG16 - 16% off all in-stock used games & dvds. Online only. Other restrictions may apply - Will usually stack with Edge 10% discount for a total of 26% in savings on pre-owned games. Supposedly does not work with PUR.
FREESHIPORDER20 - Free value shipping on in-stock game orders of $20 or more. Continental US only. While supplies last. Not valid with other offers or bundles. Expires 6/5/11 - does not seem to stack with CAG16. Will work with PUR discount.
15SAVE
Receive 15% off the purchase of in-stock Xbox 360 or PS3 games totaling $79.99 or more after PUR discount. Offer excludes consoles and DLC. Expires 5/15/11. Stacks with PUR 10% off for 25% off (roughly). Games can be New or Preowned.

Other Offers

PUR/Edge Discount
- If you have a qualifying Gamestop/EBgames card which gets you 10% off in store on used products, you can use the same card online to receive a similar discount. Unfortunately, this doesn't always stack neatly with promos and can sometimes be a pain in the ass. There is a section specifically to input your card number on the cart page.
Free Shipping - In-stock items only. Consoles and downloads not included. Online only - Supposedly applies automatically when you have two qualifying products in your cart. Fine print says it can't be stacked with other offers, but who knows. This is value shipping, thus pretty much identical to VSHIP.

Recently Expired Codes

SAVER
- Pretty much identical to VSHIP but stacked with CAG16 perfectly.
20PRE - Was 4% better than CAG16.
10FREE - This was a 10 from 80 code with free shipping.

FAQ

Q) A code you say is valid isn't working or stacking with other promos as it's supposed to.
A) Read the error you're getting. If it says the code isn't valid it either is no longer valid or you entered it wrong. If it says that it can't be applied on that order read the fine print and make sure you're using it right. If you didn't make a mistake with either of those steps, try adding it and other promos in various orders (and with varying amounts of items in your cart, adding the rest later). Sometimes you have to jury rig it, Gamestop's promo system is notoriously screwy.

Q) I have a 10/20 dollar off unique promo code from a previous purchase that no longer works, but according to the expiration date it should.
A) Gamestop shut down almost all of those promotion codes after a couple of them were found to be buggy and have unlimited uses (they're intended to be a 1 time thing). Very few, if any, are still functional. Some people have had success in having the codes honored after talking with customer support. Typically if you arrange it in advance they'll take the code from you by email after you've placed your order then retroactively give you the discount. Don't hold me to this though, you'll have to go through customer support so it's YMMV.

Q) Will my pre-owned games bought online from Gamestop/EBgames come with a proper instruction booklet and case?
A) Maybe, but don't count on it. The quality of the discs is reportedly lower than in-store merchandise as well. Some people have gotten around this issue by bringing them to their local Gamestop and convincing the management to swap out for different discs and/or cases. This is also YMMV.

Q) Can I use in-store credit online?
A) Yes, easily. You will need the card number and its pin (which is concealed via a scratch off barrier on the back). Please keep in mind however that you will be charged sales tax for online purchases made with store credit even if Gamestop doesn't tax in-store credit purchases in your state.

Q) These deals suck. Gamestop sucks. I remember when they used to have good promos. So on and so forth, etc.
A) Yup.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ackbar7']So I was wondering if this code works for anyone else:
SM3HG6BFX
It is one of the $20 off codes I got with Mario galaxy 2 awhile back. I used it once months ago and just tonight it took it again. Picked up Tiger Woods 11 for 2.49 after it. Very nice deal, wondering if it was like the $10 code a couple of days ago, or in fact if all of the $10/20 codes from last year are now 1 times use codes for everyone. Good luck guys.[/QUOTE]

Nope the code didn't work for me. Thanks anyways.

[quote name='ackbar7']Damn, sorry. Worth a try I thought.[/QUOTE]

You know, I should mention that I tried the code, and while it appeared to work at first, the last step before confirming the order shows an error message (specifically about being "not valid with other offers").

I'm thinking about capturing a screenshot and forwarding it to Gamestop.com's CS and find out why it's not working. I did the same thing when a direct email coupon code of theirs wasn't working for me, and they eventually refunded me the amount of the coupon.

I'll do it tomorrow when I have more time, but it might be worth a shot for anyone else thinking about getting $20 off for something... hoping to get a Move Controller myself.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I'm thinking about capturing a screenshot and forwarding it to Gamestop.com's CS and find out why it's not working. I did the same thing when a direct email coupon code of theirs wasn't working for me, and they eventually refunded me the amount of the coupon.[/QUOTE]
The caveat to that would be, if it's a unique code given to a customer when they purchased a game, it would make sense that it wouldn't work for other people.

I couldn't get akbar's code to work either but during the last $10 off code people were reporting codes they had used were reactivated. Might be worth hanging onto that code yourself ackbar7 and see if it works again for you down the road.

Yeah, I was lamenting having deleted a few of the emails with codes that I had used. It'd be nice to be able to use them again.

I removed the code from my previous post. Since it is not working it is not worth the risk of GS banning me. Sorry guys.

I am not that worried about it really. If I get banned at GS, life will go on. And as I have said before about GS, I think we often give them more credit than they deserve when it comes to figuring out and dealing with problems online.

Let me know if emailing them about it helps, it took the code but said this at checkout:

The coupon entered will not provide a discount based on the current contents of your shopping cart.

Says you have to have $20 in your cart and I had $30, have to wait and see I suppose.

:lol:So the 'expired' codes are working to some extent again. between that 171HWHT4 code that worked to take $10 off orders, my code I had from pre-ordering Red Dead Redemption and that B2G1HALFOFF that glitched I've had fun raping Gamestop a bit.;)

Whoever was/is in charge of those $10 and $20 online codes should probably be fired. I just used a $20 code for the 2nd time. Thanks to those CAGs that pointed this out. I tried about 8 different $10 off codes and 1 other $20 off code and none of the other ones worked. I'm pretty happy I never ever delete emails. :p Pro-tip: Search your mail client for "Gamestop"+"coupon" :p

I ended up buying Sonic Colors for $9.99 instead of $29.99. I couldn't really figure out anything to buy, but this game seems sort of half-decent for a Sonic title.

I just remembered that once a long while back they sent me two $10 codes instead of one $10 code for absolutely no reason. Man, I'm really missing those codes now. Gotta love GS for their awesome errors.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Whoever was/is in charge of those $10 and $20 online codes should probably be fired. I just used a $20 code for the 2nd time. Thanks to those CAGs that pointed this out. I tried about 8 different $10 off codes and 1 other $20 off code and none of the other ones worked. I'm pretty happy I never ever delete emails. :p Pro-tip: Search your mail client for "Gamestop"+"coupon" :p

I ended up buying Sonic Colors for $9.99 instead of $29.99. I couldn't really figure out anything to buy, but this game seems sort of half-decent for a Sonic title.

I just remembered that once a long while back they sent me two $10 codes instead of one $10 code for absolutely no reason. Man, I'm really missing those codes now. Gotta love GS for their awesome errors.[/QUOTE]

Did they cancel the order? I would do this, but I don't want to be charged or have the order canceled.

Aw.

The coupon entered will not provide a discount based on the current contents of your shopping cart. You may continue checkout without a discount or read the coupon description below and make the appropriate changes to your shopping cart or shipping method selected. Coupon description :

Coupon:SM3HG6BFX - $20 off your next online purchase. Excludes consoles. Order must be at least $20. May not be combined with other offers. Expires 4/28/2013

I was excited too. Thought I'd pick up a second copy of Okamiden with the preorder bonus from GS.

I just checked some of my old $10 off codes that I KNOW I never used, and those are giving me the "Oops...code invalid" message. The email they sent them in says they don't expire until 4/28/2013. They better not have deactivated all codes because of this shit.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I just checked some of my old $10 off codes that I KNOW I never used, and those are giving me the "Oops...code invalid" message. The email they sent them in says they don't expire until 4/28/2013. They better not have deactivated all codes because of this shit.[/QUOTE]
They made all of those 4/28/2013 codes expire on 12/31/2010. I know because I went to check mine that I got with Red Dead Redemption about two weeks before New Year's and it was coming up as expiring sooner.

This was after checking a thread on CAG where some other folks found out their codes with far off expiration dates had had that date moved up to New Years of 2010 as well.

So when my code suddenly became one of the multiple use ones about a week ago I had no qualms about letting the folks in the one social group I'm in on CAG use it MULTIPLE times. They fucked me out of being able to use a code I paid for a game to get, then I was going to let others fuck them out of $10/$20/$30/etc.

Just another reason I'm actually kinda glad DickStop banned me cuz they pull this sort of shady shit all the time, between the newsed games, the horrible prices for scratched up shit and now the code garbage.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They made all of those 4/28/2013 codes expire on 12/31/2010. I know because I went to check mine that I got with Red Dead Redemption about two weeks before New Year's and it was coming up as expiring sooner.[/QUOTE]

Ya know, I actually saw that before the holidays when I was contemplating buying something from GS.com (but ended up buying from Gamefly because even with the $10 code, GS was still a rip off). It showed in my cart that the coupon expired on 12/31/2010, but I just figured it was a website glitch (since they've been known to have several).

If this turns out to be true, I'm seriously going to feel like walking into one of their stores and stealing something. That's fucking horseshit to change expiration dates and not send any kind of notification. Those codes were shitty enough as it was since you couldn't stack them with anything and they were more of a "discount" than a "credit". But to wipe them out when I still have the fucking email that says it expires on 4/28/2013 is rotten to the core.

I just sent GS support an email about it, and depending on how that goes, I might write my Attorney General about this shit. There was no fine print in my email about reserving the right to change the terms of the promotion. I hate it when people cry "bait & switch" on forums, but I wouldn't have bought all those games if I knew my coupons would have a shelf life 2.5 years shorter. They might as well have just mugged me.

If I remember correctly though, the original expiration date was a major league typo. It was something like 4/28/20013. So you had over 18k years to use them originally.:lol:

So they went from major typo to pissing quite a few people off.

Either way I used another one of the one time codes that glitched to allow multiple uses and grabbed Red Dead Redemption for $20 shipped. So I still got to use the $10 discount, even though it was someone else's.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I remember correctly though, the original expiration date was a major league typo. It was something like 4/28/20013. So you had over 18k years to use them originally.:lol:

So they went from major typo to pissing quite a few people off.[/QUOTE]

All 3 emails I received with these coupons say 4/13/2013. No typo. They either make this good, or I'll go out of my way to fuck them over. I truly hate this piece of shit, conniving company.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I just checked some of my old $10 off codes that I KNOW I never used, and those are giving me the "Oops...code invalid" message. The email they sent them in says they don't expire until 4/28/2013. They better not have deactivated all codes because of this shit.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem on an order, just get on the phone with customer service. They sorted it out for me.

I just checked my two unused codes ($10 and $20 off respectively), one expiring in 2012 and the other in 2013 and both generated their appropriate discounts for me in my cart. I will hang on to them for now until I find something I want to get.

[quote name='dedgeu2']I just checked my two unused codes ($10 and $20 off respectively), one expiring in 2012 and the other in 2013 and both generated their appropriate discounts for me in my cart. I will hang on to them for now until I find something I want to get.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, when did you obtain those codes? (ie. when did you place your original order?) Mine were from back in June, so I don't know if they just decided it had been "long enough" for those ones or what.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Just out of curiosity, when did you obtain those codes? (ie. when did you place your original order?) Mine were from back in June, so I don't know if they just decided it had been "long enough" for those ones or what.[/QUOTE]

Yes I got mine around the same time. The $20 off coupon came from my Mario Galaxy 2 order. The $10 off was sent to me about a week prior to that one.

I was also able to use my old code I got from SMG2 to get DJ Hero 2 for free. I added a 1.99 filler game, got 2 off with my power card then 19.9x with the coupon. Order came out to 0.00 and has already shipped.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Did they cancel the order? I would do this, but I don't want to be charged or have the order canceled.[/QUOTE]

No they didn't cancel my order. They sent it right away. Their code redemption databases are so fucked up that invalid used codes still work and some valid unused codes expired 2 years early. Why in the motherfuck do you think that GS would be smart enough to catch my order and cancel it? ;) Seriously;););)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ya know, I actually saw that before the holidays when I was contemplating buying something from GS.com (but ended up buying from Gamefly because even with the $10 code, GS was still a rip off). It showed in my cart that the coupon expired on 12/31/2010, but I just figured it was a website glitch (since they've been known to have several).

If this turns out to be true, I'm seriously going to feel like walking into one of their stores and stealing something. That's fucking horseshit to change expiration dates and not send any kind of notification. Those codes were shitty enough as it was since you couldn't stack them with anything and they were more of a "discount" than a "credit". But to wipe them out when I still have the fucking email that says it expires on 4/28/2013 is rotten to the core.

I just sent GS support an email about it, and depending on how that goes, I might write my Attorney General about this shit. There was no fine print in my email about reserving the right to change the terms of the promotion. I hate it when people cry "bait & switch" on forums, but I wouldn't have bought all those games if I knew my coupons would have a shelf life 2.5 years shorter. They might as well have just mugged me.[/QUOTE]

It is kind of annoying when people cry bait and switch and it really isn't. But in your case I think it really is bait/switch and that you should follow up on it and complain. This is the legal definition of bait and switch. You should call the Attorney General or Better Business Bureau or something.

GAMESTOP: "Hey come buy our games and we'll give you $10 off your next order. ...HAHA too slow fuck you":bomb:

The $20 code I used twice still says TODAY, "$20 off your next online purchase. Excludes consoles. Order must be at least $20. May not be combined with other offers. Expires 4/28/2013"

I want to use my code a lot more but I stopped at 3 times. Makes me wonder how many times it can be used. I wouldn't mind picking up a bunch of nearly free $20 games. lol

I tried using my $10 code yesterday and received the "Oops!" message. It's weird because I was going to use the code a couple of weeks ago and the code applied but I never made the order. I'll call customer support later on and see what they say. I still have the original e-mail with the 2013 expiration date.

I wish I had known of this sooner... I would've jumped on the Deathsmiles LE after all, and that odd Wizard of Oz DS game. And a hell of a lot of Rock Band track packs. And other neat things that are OOS. :( But I've had two orders of fun so far and will consider another. Here's hoping they aren't canned...

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']No they didn't cancel my order. They sent it right away. Their code redemption databases are so fucked up that invalid used codes still work and some valid unused codes expired 2 years early. Why in the motherfuck do you think that GS would be smart enough to catch my order and cancel it? ;) Seriously;););)[/QUOTE]

Seriously, right? I've yet to get a response to my email, so it looks like if I don't want to be ripped off, I'll have to take the time to call. Just what I was hoping to do today. :roll: I'd love to point out their own ineptitude to them, but I don't want to be a whistle blower on people who placed orders. But it is ridiculous that used coupons are valid and unused ones are not.

At this point, Gamestop should just wipe out their whole fucking system and start over. I don't know how they could possibly know which codes are valid and which aren't. Unless they can manually look up whether or not I used my codes, they'd just have to take my word for it. Jesus, what a moronic company.

Sadly they have the right to cancel their coupons at any time, regardless of reason.

They cancelled my $10 (or it expired at the end of the year) but I just used my $20 the other day. I was pretty pissed until I realized I can use my $20 off multiple times.

When you guys used yours multiple times did you use a different account or doesn't it matter?

I love how its still hard to find a good deal at Gamestop even with a $20 coupon.

[quote name='Lancezos']Sadly they have the right to cancel their coupons at any time, regardless of reason.[/QUOTE]

The emails I received do not stipulate that, and I received zero notice informing me of any changes. I understand the "we reserve the right..." blanket coverage bullshit that allows them to change anything at any time, but none of those terms are in my email. Gamestop used the promise of these coupons to drive up sales (and who are we kidding...they did it because it's the only way they could compete with Amazon), gave a concrete expiration date, and then decided they were only good for 6 months instead of the 3 years they originally stated. You can't possibly be defending that kind of business practice.

Funny story: I decided not to use two of my $10 codes because they really weren't much of a deal, and now they aren't working at all and yet thanks to you guys, I just checked my $20 code and it worked. I wish I had one of those $30 codes (what game did they have that for again? I forget), but Dead Space 2 for $45 is more than enough for me. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm not defending them. I think they are a very unprofessional company. They pack all there UPS ground shipments in express envelopes and print their invoices on UPS labels (they can't even afford boxes or paper to ship their items).

My point was any company has the right to cancel any offer especially if people are taking advantage of it.

Can someone post the codes you guys are using to get free stuff/insanely cheap stuff? The only code I have is $20 off your next purchase when you spend $20.

[quote name='mxpowar']I second this. A sandbox-style JRPG is an interesting idea in theory, but Crea-Tech (the developers ) forgot to include a plot (a must for an RPG!) and decent graphics (I felt like I was playing a late-gen SNES/early-gen PS1 game.[/QUOTE]

I strongly disagree; if you're going into Metal Saga thinking you're going to get an experience like one of the Final Fantasies, you'll be be disappointed, but free of those expectations, the game is solid.

Rather than moving from Point A to Point B as part of an amusement park ride, the game hands you a world and lets you figure out what you want to do in it. You can go looking for boss characters (Bounties), you can try to go into an area with enemies way above your level, or you can just poke around the map looking for more tanks to salvage.

Sure, there's not much of a plot, but I think that's the point. If you don't want to sit through long cutscenes and instead just want to put together a team of three heavily customized tanks and a dog with a bazooka on his back, Metal Saga is the game for you.

As for "late-gen SNES" graphics go, well, we didn't even have textures on our polygons back then! But yes, Metal Saga's graphics aren't great. You're either the kind of person to whom that matters, or you aren't.

Whaaa?? Did a mod clean this thread out or something? If discussion of glitches on Gamestop.com is frowned upon then I guess there shouldn't be any threads created about Gamestop at all, lol.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Whaaa?? Did a mod clean this thread out or something? If discussion of glitches on Gamestop.com is frowned upon then I guess there shouldn't be any threads created about Gamestop at all, lol.[/QUOTE]
:DNot saying a word, since it'll likely just disappear anyway.:roll:

[quote name='Japakneez']Bump.

SAVER was recognized but during final checkout it become invalid. I also noticed that my edge discount via powerup card is now working but it doesn't stack with other coupon codes like before. It will take 10% off, but then additional codes are applied after the discounted price :([/QUOTE]

This happened to me as well but managed to get the free shipping discount anyway. Probably a dumb question but for SAVER to be used, your order has to total $25 right? Is that total prior to using $xx off codes?

The reason I ask is because I picked up PS3 Red Dead Redemption and another $9 DS game. Before I applied my $20 off code, the total was about $36.96. I applied my $20 off code, plus SAVER and the total came to $19.96. I got the invalid SAVER error during checkout due to the total being less than $25 but I still got free shipping/handling anyway.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I said that I purchased a few items for a good price and I get my post wiped.[/QUOTE]

not trying to be a dick about it but all you people trying to exploit the system is why the deal which was a good one on its own merits got canned for everyone else.

the code doesn't work today, I ordered mine last night and it went through because it was legitimate. But you guys who were exploiting the site caused the deal to get taken down and now no one else gets it.

Thanks punks

[quote name='dedgeu2']This happened to me as well but managed to get the free shipping discount anyway. Probably a dumb question but for SAVER to be used, your order has to total $25 right? Is that total prior to using $xx off codes?

The reason I ask is because I picked up PS3 Red Dead Redemption and another $9 DS game. Before I applied my $20 off code, the total was about $36.96. I applied my $20 off code, plus SAVER and the total came to $19.96. I got the invalid SAVER error during checkout due to the total being less than $25 but I still got free shipping/handling anyway.[/QUOTE]
You got the free shipping anyway because it's calculated based on PRE discount total in your cart, I believe. There is a current promotion going on that's stacking with these promos where as long as you have $20 worth of games or accessories pre discount in your cart you'll get the value shipping for free. So that's why you received the free shipping.

It happened last week with one order and this week with one order for me.
[quote name='retrad']not trying to be a dick about it but all you people trying to exploit the system is why the deal which was a good one on its own merits got canned for everyone else.

the code doesn't work today, I ordered mine last night and it went through because it was legitimate. But you guys who were exploiting the site caused the deal to get taken down and now no one else gets it.

Thanks punks[/QUOTE]
Since when is $15 off of $80 worth of games a 'good deal'? That was the deal, wasn't it? Buy two $39.99 games and get $15 off, right? Between price drops and shopping on Amazon.com you can find MUCH better deals than ANY of the ones GS has had recently.

But many of us who 'exploited the system' had VALID $10 off codes that we pre-ordered and bought games from GS to get. Those codes were not set to expire until 2013(March 28th, 2013 in my case), yet MANY of us had the expiration date moved up to December 31st, 2010. Was that fair? Not to us, since we ignored any likely better deals that Amazon and other sites/stores may have had to get those future use codes, secure in the knowledge that they would still work when we wanted them to.

Could we have gone about getting the discount we were stripped of a bit differently? Yes we could, but then there was also the chance that GS would DENY us the chance to use those codes on what we wanted to use them on.

So you may consider it 'exploiting' the system, but we look at it as getting back a discount code that was stolen from us.

[quote name='retrad']not trying to be a dick about it but all you people trying to exploit the system is why the deal which was a good one on its own merits got canned for everyone else.

Thanks punks[/QUOTE]

Wait, so your mad at me because I used a $20 code to purchase BF bad co. 2? Last time I checked gamestop gave these out as preorder bonuses.

So you may consider it 'exploiting' the system, but we look at it as getting back a discount code that was stolen from us.
Well that'd be well and good, but I do recall a certain post of yours on this thread that was reveling in how you pulled one on ol' Gamestop.

So yeah, I do think you consider it exploiting the system. Is it? Beats me, but lets not talk out of both sides of ours mouths there brotha

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']Well that'd be well and good, but I do recall a certain post of yours on this thread that was reveling in how you pulled one on ol' Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point, but do you not think Gamestop is thinking they "pulled one on the ol' consumers" by changing coupon expiration dates from 2013 to 2011, wiping out God knows how many legitimate discounts. The way I see it, they drew first blood.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']Well that'd be well and good, but I do recall a certain post of yours on this thread that was reveling in how you pulled one on ol' Gamestop.

So yeah, I do think you consider it exploiting the system. Is it? Beats me, but lets not talk out of both sides of ours mouths there brotha[/QUOTE]
Yeah. But as was already said they drew first blood by negating MY $10 code that I pre-ordered a game from them to get. I could've easily had RDR from Amazon with a bigger discount code AND received release day shipping, which I had to pretty much beg GS to give me at all.

Although I preordered from them because I had a ton of credit with them at the time.

But to me a deal is a deal is a deal, whether it's a glitch or not doesn't matter one bit to me.

I think it is funny to blame us when GS's promotions don't work like that are supposed to. Yep, it is my fault that GS had to stop a promotion that they programmed poorly. And really, when I find I can get some decent new games for anywhere from 3-15 dollars I am going to take advantage of it. Any true cheapass would.

bread's done
Back