Gamestop.com- HUGE Restock of GBA Games

Jackie Chandler

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=135+6&No=0

Okay, so it's not much of a deal, but it's definitely something CAGs might want to know about. As opposed to the normal ten-ish shovelware games that Gamestop's website normally has, they have recently bumped that list up to 224 titles available to ship now. It seems like quite the update, and it might be a good time to pick up some GBA Pokemon, Zelda, or the HIGHLY underrated Megaman Battle Network games. :p

Of course, use CAG16 + Edge to get ~25% off, or make use of some of those $10 coupon codes I'm sure many of us have WAY more of than we need. ;D

[quote name='Jackie Chandler'] the HIGHLY underrated Megaman Battle Network games. :p
[/QUOTE]

It's a shame every MMBN game for GBA is out of stock, then. Well, it seems MMBN 5 is in stock, I was hoping after seeing this to snag 1 - 3.

Even after EDGE + CAG16, these prices still seem high on most games... and who knows the condition they will come in.

Drill Dozer is awesome for that price, though.

[quote name='animalspinners']It's a shame every MMBN game for GBA is out of stock, then.

Even after EDGE + CAG16, these prices still seem high on most games... and who knows the condition they will come in.

Drill Dozer is awesome for that price, though.
[/QUOTE]
Ah, my bad. Guess they aren't as unpopular as I thought, then. :p

Even if they come in questionable quality, though (without the cartridge- I doubt you'll be able to get one with a box), you could always try to find one in-store to swap it out with. Especially with the Pokemon games, you should be able to find some in-store. Speaking of which, the last time I saw a Pokemon Emerald in-store used was for $40- significantly less than the $28 asking price online WITHOUT coupon codes.

Game Crazy hasn't had GBA stock in a long time.. at least a year. They lowered all TiV's to $0.. sorry to squash your laughter

So what are the chances that a lot of these are bootlegs? I ask because I ordered Mario & Luigi PIT (DS) a couple months ago from GS.com, and sure enough it was a fake.

[quote name='Dendaman']So what are the chances that a lot of these are bootlegs? I ask because I ordered Mario & Luigi PIT (DS) a couple months ago from GS.com, and sure enough it was a fake.[/QUOTE]

Considering that the last 3 games I got had the following problems:

Splinter Cell Conviction with an ORANGE label (real game has black) that didnt work
Godzilla PSP that was in a "clear" UMD housing (all real games are in white)
Downhill Domination DEMO disc inside of retail case instead of full game.

I'd say the chances of GS taking/selling bootlegs to be quite high... :(

[quote name='Kaijuboy']
Godzilla PSP that was in a "clear" UMD housing (all real games are in white)
[/QUOTE]

I think all PSP games from Game Stop's website come in the clear UMD housing. Every one that I've bought has been like that. I've seen the housing for sale. I believe it's used as a replacement for the original white casing.

So... tempted... to... buy...yoshi's island, AGAIN. $9 is cheap, and 11.25 for zelda would be awesome too.

I've seen counterfeit GBA games at GameStops on a couple occasions, and usually I've alerted them to the fact and they take it out of the case. It's not a common thing, but it happens.

[quote name='scott2hotcott']I think all PSP games from Game Stop's website come in the clear UMD housing. Every one that I've bought has been like that. I've seen the housing for sale. I believe it's used as a replacement for the original white casing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, a lot of games Gamestop sells online tend to be resurfaced games. Only way to resurfaced a PSP game is to pop off the shell.

[quote name='Scorch']Game Crazy hasn't had GBA stock in a long time.. at least a year. They lowered all TiV's to $0.. sorry to squash your laughter[/QUOTE]

Sadly my local stores closed a couple months ago and both had at least 50+ titles (new)....

what are the odds that they sell pirated game? as in, somebody buys pirated game from hongkong on ebay and then selling it to gamestop.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']the HIGHLY underrated Megaman Battle Network games[/QUOTE]
Every Battle Network I played was nearly identical to each other. I know, they released different 'subtitled' versions of them (kinda like Pokemon Red/Blue, etc) but I'm talking about the game being virtually unchanged as the series went on.
Not to mention them being very boring.. =\
imo..

[quote name='Donnums']Ah son of a bitch, they had Ninja Five-O listed at $5 on there but it's unavailable.[/QUOTE]That game is so fun..

[quote name='david12795']if only they include box and manual...:([/QUOTE]
I don't see why people throw out that stuff; I had all my GBA boxes with the books still in them. Never looked at them a second time, but still.
I won't buy a used game from anywhere unless the book and case is still intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mahgin86']
I don't see why people throw out that stuff; I had all my GBA boxes with the books still in them. Never looked at them a second time, but still.
I won't buy a used game from anywhere unless the book and case is still intact.[/QUOTE]

It's not always the customer. Gamestop actively DESTROYED the box and manual of any GBA game that was traded in. To a collector, that's like a horrifying GBA holocaust.

If any of you are looking for specific titles we have GBA games in stock, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to take a look at our stock.

Most are loose and do not include box and manual, 99% of the time someone trades these in they come without the manual and box although when they do we keep them and sell them with everything.

We also carry lots of games for older systems ( I don't discriminate - yes I even have a virtual boy and games in stock) plus everything new of course.

Please keep in mind we are a local mom and pop store and not a corporate giant, we don't have the supply a GS has but I try and sell my stuff cheeper than GS and since we are local and a small operation we test everything prior to selling it to make sure it works and is authentic.

I can ship items however you are responsible for the shipping costs (the real shipping costs).

Any CAG's in the So Cal area feel free and drop by we always like new customers :)

Mero Games
2510 Las Posas Rd #F
Camarillo, CA 93010
http://http://www.yelp.com/biz/mero-games-camarillo

Was looking for FFV Advance but it's OOS. I'll just try in store, at least I'm guaranteed a pristine label that way. Any of you guys looking to expand your GBA library beyond main Nintendo franchises/SNES RPG ports/etc. should check out stuff like Drill Dozer, Sigma Star Saga, and Scurge Hive. A lot of great stuff that came out after the DS went completely under the radar.

[quote name='Donnums']Ah son of a bitch, they had Ninja Five-O listed at $5 on there but it's unavailable.[/QUOTE]

Good luck even finding that in store. In terms of rarity I'd say it's just about the Earthbound of the GBA library, and there are probably a handful available at GSes nationwide. I've been after it forever so I've ran the game through the store tracker for all sorts of places in hopes that people I know could pick one up, but there are just none out there. What's it gonna take for me to finally get to play it for less than $50+? :bomb:

[quote name='fwbweux']Was looking for FFV Advance but it's OOS. I'll just try in store, at least I'm guaranteed a pristine label that way. Any of you guys looking to expand your GBA library beyond main Nintendo franchises/SNES RPG ports/etc. should check out stuff like Drill Dozer, Sigma Star Saga, and Scurge Hive. A lot of great stuff that came out after the DS went completely under the radar.

Good luck even finding that in store. In terms of rarity I'd say it's just about the Earthbound of the GBA library, and there are probably a handful available at GSes nationwide. I've been after it forever so I've ran the game through the store tracker for all sorts of places in hopes that people I know could pick one up, but there are just none out there. What's it gonna take for me to finally get to play it for less than $50+? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I just sold a copy for a decent profit a few weeks back. It's an all-right game. Nothing to fret over though. I'm of the "catch and release" mentality. Once you have it, enjoy it, then let it back into the wild! Sooner or later you'll snag one.

[quote name='fwbweux']Was looking for FFV Advance but it's OOS. I'll just try in store, at least I'm guaranteed a pristine label that way. Any of you guys looking to expand your GBA library beyond main Nintendo franchises/SNES RPG ports/etc. should check out stuff like Drill Dozer, Sigma Star Saga, and Scurge Hive. A lot of great stuff that came out after the DS went completely under the radar.

Good luck even finding that in store. In terms of rarity I'd say it's just about the Earthbound of the GBA library, and there are probably a handful available at GSes nationwide. I've been after it forever so I've ran the game through the store tracker for all sorts of places in hopes that people I know could pick one up, but there are just none out there. What's it gonna take for me to finally get to play it for less than $50+? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

i actually found a copy of ninja five-O at my GS a few months ago for $4.99 i think. yay me!

[quote name='GDKN-403']I've seen counterfeit GBA games at GameStops on a couple occasions, and usually I've alerted them to the fact and they take it out of the case. It's not a common thing, but it happens.[/QUOTE]

I've done the same thing, but have received only blank looks from them, as if it's something no one would care about. I even returned a bootleg and they asked me what was wrong with it, as if it being a bootleg wasn't a good enough reason.

[quote name='rywateska']I just sold a copy for a decent profit a few weeks back. It's an all-right game. Nothing to fret over though. I'm of the "catch and release" mentality. Once you have it, enjoy it, then let it back into the wild! Sooner or later you'll snag one.[/QUOTE]

You see, I'm not so charitable with the catch-and-release thing ;) I've been beefing up the GBA library for the past year or so and I don't think I could bring myself to give up that game if I ever got a copy. If I want it again, who knows how much more it'll cost a few years down the line. Ebay is merciless :lol:

[quote name='lude21']i actually found a copy of ninja five-O at my GS a few months ago for $4.99 i think. yay me![/QUOTE]

I just checked the store tracker and amazingly (for the first time ever) one showed up. It's 55 miles from me but I'm too lazy to make the drive. A few months back I had one lined up from a friend in Denver but someone bought it one day before he went to GS to pick it up for me :bomb:

[quote name='Vegan']It's not always the customer. Gamestop actively DESTROYED the box and manual of any GBA game that was traded in. To a collector, that's like a horrifying GBA holocaust.[/QUOTE]

Hell, some Gamestop stores even toss out all of the used DS cases and put the carts in the clear glass case instead.

[quote name='fwbweux']

That's exactly why I spotted that. I meant to get it when it came out, but had zero idea it'd become so scarce. And I can't find it for less than $50 either...someday!

Decided to snag Pokemon Sapphire with one of my $10 codes... if it's a real copy and in decent shape (ie working and front label intact) I'll try ordering another game. A bit worried after getting a DOA ds game from them last week.

I remember getting

shining soul 2 off them years ago for 7.99 and though WTF that is a very rare game...

Got the game home popped it in and thought something doesnt look right

on the back of the game

NINTENDO IS SPELLED NINENDO (bootleg)

too it back to the store and they said there wasn nothing wrong with selling bootlegs and refused to give cash back

[quote name='slidecage']I remember getting

shining soul 2 off them years ago for 7.99 and though WTF that is a very rare game...

Got the game home popped it in and thought something doesnt look right

on the back of the game

NINTENDO IS SPELLED NINENDO (bootleg)

too it back to the store and they said there wasn nothing wrong with selling bootlegs and refused to give cash back[/QUOTE]

that wasnt gamestop, you at least have 7 days to return used games, if you paid with cash, you get cash back.

but yah, buyer beware when buying used gba games.

[quote name='dracula']that wasnt gamestop, you at least have 7 days to return used games, if you paid with cash, you get cash back.[/QUOTE]

Just because that is their policy doesn't mean it wasn't GameStop. Plenty of employees don't have a clue about the company's policies. Or the employee was just being a pain in the ass.

[quote name='Vegan']It's not always the customer. Gamestop actively DESTROYED the box and manual of any GBA game that was traded in. To a collector, that's like a horrifying GBA holocaust.[/QUOTE]
Really? That is so lame.. :roll:

[quote name='dracula']that wasnt gamestop[/QUOTE]
GameStop's had bootlegs by the dozen before.

pkmnlgboot.jpg
pkmnfrboot.jpg

mkscboot.jpg
fifaboot.jpg

castlevaniaboot.jpg
aw2boot.jpg

From time to time, they'll even have European versions of games in stock.

And on a note regarding OP's post, it's still not a good time to get Pokemon games from GameStop. For whatever reason, they're still ridiculously expensive.

[quote name='Tsukento']GameStop's had bootlegs by the dozen before.

pkmnlgboot.jpg
pkmnfrboot.jpg

mkscboot.jpg
fifaboot.jpg

castlevaniaboot.jpg
aw2boot.jpg

And on a note regarding OP's post, it's still not a good time to get Pokemon games from GameStop. For whatever reason, they're still ridiculously expensive.[/QUOTE]

of course gs has bootleg gba games, in fact if you look up a couple of posts i am suggesting that many/most of these games may be boots.

they do however offer a 7 day return policy for any used game. so if someone bought a used gba game, they would be able to return it so long as it is within 7 days and dont even need a reason. the other guy said that he couldnt return his game, or that the store wouldnt take it. GS would have taken it back. blah not fishing for a fight.

for a 4 dollar used game, well i guess you could say 'who cares if it is a boot?'. boots arent usually able to save games, but other than that, well for 4 bucks, still probably a bargain even if it is a boot.

[quote name='Tsukento']GameStop's had bootlegs by the dozen before.

And on a note regarding OP's post, it's still not a good time to get Pokemon games from GameStop. For whatever reason, they're still ridiculously expensive.[/QUOTE]
Wow- GAME CASSETTE? GAME? What kind of Gamestop employee bought those? XD

I just got a bootleg Field Commander (psp) in the mail from gamestop.com. I'm getting that (non-working) UMDouche back to a B&M location this evening.

I was going through the GBA list when I saw something that looked a little strange.

mkpacman.png

Huh.

Well, I can probably figure out what it really is if I look at its screenshots:

mkpacman2.jpg

Huh.

Should I be worried that GBA games in those pictures would've totally fooled me? I wouldn't have spotted the "Game Cassette" if it hadn't been pointed out, and I still don't know what's wrong with the rest of them.

[quote name='Vegan']Should I be worried that GBA games in those pictures would've totally fooled me? I wouldn't have spotted the "Game Cassette" if it hadn't been pointed out, and I still don't know what's wrong with the rest of them.[/QUOTE]
I've actually started buying more into my GBA game library recently, so I looked up how to tell if one is a bootleg. Apparently the best ways to tell if a game is a bootleg are if:

1. The "Gameboy Advance" logo at the top of the cartridge
A. Does not say "Gameboy Advance."
B. Is in a strange font.
C. Has a circle around it.
2. The cover art isn't original.
3. The cartridge is a strange color of plastic (often more black than real ones).
4. It's missing serial numbers on the back or there are various misspellings (I've seen Ninendo and Nintondo on the internet).
5. Or if it's supposed to come in a special cartridge and it doesn't (look at the Pokemon games).

[quote name='dracula']

they do however offer a 7 day return policy for any used game. so if someone bought a used gba game, they would be able to return it so long as it is within 7 days and dont even need a reason. the other guy said that he couldnt return his game, or that the store wouldnt take it. GS would have taken it back. blah not fishing for a fight.

[/QUOTE]

Despite their policies you sometimes have to argue with the employees to actually honor them. I received a defective game from their website before and the employee once tried arguing with me about not being able to return it in the store. I had them call up corporate and after waiting ten minutes I finally got a refund. Most of us would prefer not to go through that hassle.

bread's done
Back