GameStop Console Trade-in Values

So how do we transfer content and saves on the 360 these days? I haven't done it in a long long time, do we still need transfer cables? or something else? Was going to trade in my old 360 in for a newer one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AJVtony831']Was going to do this but saw it was exclusive to Power UP Rewards...oh well[/QUOTE]

It's free to sign up for the regular membership. It's $15 if you want the magazine subscription and 10% off used games.

[quote name='life.exe']So how do we transfer content and saves on the 360 these days? I haven't done it in a long long time, do we still need transfer cables? or something else? Was going to trade in my old 360 in for a newer one.[/QUOTE]

Throw it on a usb drive or if you have gold put it all in the cloud.

The only reason I'm even considering keeping my Wii until the Wii U is released is because I'm wondering if there will be a way to transfer virtual console games that I've bought over to the Wii U. Is there any news on that?

so on the website it says get an extra 30% for console trade in's does this stack with these special values??? i.e. would a wii with 75 + 30(30% + 10%) = 105 be applied or just the 75???

[quote name='kayne2000']so on the website it says get an extra 30% for console trade in's does this stack with these special values??? i.e. would a wii with 75 + 30(30% + 10%) = 105 be applied or just the 75???[/QUOTE]

Cannot be combined with any other offer
On both offers.

Just automatically assume offers never stack unless it's the 10% PUR thing

[quote name='illmatic21']The only reason I'm even considering keeping my Wii until the Wii U is released is because I'm wondering if there will be a way to transfer virtual console games that I've bought over to the Wii U. Is there any news on that?[/QUOTE]

don't count on it.

You are better off attempting it yourself.
Honestly if it did someone probably would have made a post or even their own thread because that would be sick ass deal for a trade-in.

Since people have already traded-in a few consoles and have made no mention of it, it's safe to assume that no it doesn't.

[quote name='iduncurr']You are better off attempting it yourself.
Honestly if it did someone probably would have made a post or even their own thread because that would be sick ass deal for a trade-in.

Since people have already traded-in a few consoles and have made no mention of it, it's safe to assume that no it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

yea i figured. oh well worth asking

[quote name='illmatic21']The only reason I'm even considering keeping my Wii until the Wii U is released is because I'm wondering if there will be a way to transfer virtual console games that I've bought over to the Wii U. Is there any news on that?[/QUOTE]

Given they won't let you move from wii to wii, probably zero.

Past gen portability/interoperability of DLC is going to be a big question for all the next gen hardware....but given Nintendo's lack of focus on it with the Wii, I suspect they will just cut it off and start with a new system on the Wii U that is tied to an account and not hardware based.

[quote name='lt_homer']Throw it on a usb drive or if you have gold put it all in the cloud.[/QUOTE]

Is a black Slim Xbox any better than a well taken care of white Xbox?

When you install games on your HDD they're both whisper quiet, graphics are the same, Xbox LIVE is the same. Only difference is the internal wireless receiver, and the old external ones are dirt cheap now.

WTF. I just sent my PS3 in to Sony for repair. I could have traded it in for $150, got a brand new one for the same price ($99) that I'm paying to get a refurb. Ugh!

[quote name='XF Gator']Is a black Slim Xbox any better than a well taken care of white Xbox?

When you install games on your HDD they're both whisper quiet, graphics are the same, Xbox LIVE is the same. Only difference is the internal wireless receiver, and the old external ones are dirt cheap now.[/QUOTE]

I've had my Slim since October 2010 and haven't had a problem with it. I've logged at least 500 hours on it too.

[quote name='bassec']WTF. I just sent my PS3 in to Sony for repair. I could have traded it in for $150, got a brand new one for the same price ($99) that I'm paying to get a refurb. Ugh![/QUOTE]
they're charging 100 now? Well Gs doesn't take broken console, so you're still ahead.. :)

Something that some might find interesting:
In Puerto Rico the TIV for the PS3 is $200 & for the Vita is $175; the rest of the hardware TIV are the same.

I decided to trade in my Wii and 360 since I never play them anymore. Going to save the credit I got for when the Wii U launches. I'm hoping I can accumulate enough credit by then to cover the whole thing.

Never traded anything to GS before, I'm assuming they just give you a gift card? Also thinking about ditching the Wii, do I have to clear any data off it first? I bought some VC games using a credit card, is that data stored on the Wii itself somewhere?

Traded in my 4gb slim Xbox and an extra controller. $167.60 total. But the girl at the counter said it wouldn't let me have the deal as a free member, so I updated to PRO and lost $15. I thought the offer was for all PUR members. Oh well. I still made out with $151.71. And I can use the membership. I just hope what she said was true. Otherwise, I want my $!5 back. lol

Wait you have to be a member for this deal? Didn't read the fine print I guess. Well not worth it then if I have to pay $15 since I'd only do it for the Wii. :/

[quote name='rockstarnati']Traded in my 4gb slim Xbox and an extra controller. $167.60 total. But the girl at the counter said it wouldn't let me have the deal as a free member, so I updated to PRO and lost $15. I thought the offer was for all PUR members. Oh well. I still made out with $151.71. And I can use the membership. I just hope what she said was true. Otherwise, I want my $!5 back. lol[/QUOTE]

I want to trade in my 4GB slim as well and upgrade to the 250GB slim I bought from Best Buy a few weeks ago (refurbished).

Is there anything I should do to the 4GB before trading it in? I don't have any downloads on it except apps (Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc.).

Then do I need to do anything when I start up the 250GB for the first time or just log in? I want to make sure I can access my XBL account on the new system and that no one will be able to access it on the old one.

[quote name='heatison777']You dont have to be a Pro member, i did it without.[/QUOTE]

Dang. I told the lady it didn't say anything about being a pro member. She said the system wouldn't let her do it. I shot customer service an e-mail to try and find out for sure. Not a big deal though. What's done is done I guess.

[quote name='krashhole']Wonder if I can trade in a soft modded wii? Still functions like a normal wii, just has the homebrew app on it. The wii was given to me as a form of payment, and I dont even own a game for it. It's just sat in the closet for the past year or so.[/QUOTE]

Or you can do is just remove the HBC instead, just go to apps on the wii and just delete it...

[quote name='kevinc23']This will be my first time trading a console to Gamestop. So what is required to get the full $100??[/QUOTE]

all cords,cables and controllers.

[quote name='kevinc23']This will be my first time trading a console to Gamestop. So what is required to get the full $100??[/QUOTE]

Controller, power brink and av cables. You can keep the junk headset and LAN cable that come with the 360.

[quote name='flix1']Might be time to dump my phat original 60GB ps3.
[quote name='Anti Lifesaver']Please say you are joking?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
[quote name='colton1106']My original got the YLOD last week. So sad..[/QUOTE]
I wish I was joking.

Long story, but my phat 60gb ps3 runs hot. After about 10-15 minutes, the fan kicks into high gear ... its loud and I'm reluctant to play anything for long on it, expecting it to overheat and possibly YLOD, and that's why I transferred to a new slim. I actually bought a clearance ps2 to play the handful of ps2 games I purchased for my ps3.

I had been thinking about selling the phat ps3, but if I sell it to someone and it YLOD on them shortly after purchase, that would suck for both them and me, as I'm sure there would be some repercussions.

[quote name='GBAstar']I want to trade in my 4GB slim as well and upgrade to the 250GB slim I bought from Best Buy a few weeks ago (refurbished).

Is there anything I should do to the 4GB before trading it in? I don't have any downloads on it except apps (Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc.).

Then do I need to do anything when I start up the 250GB for the first time or just log in? I want to make sure I can access my XBL account on the new system and that no one will be able to access it on the old one.[/QUOTE]

I've only had one Xbox system myself but I think you can transfer your Xbox LIVE downloads and profile to the new Xbox. It's some sort of transfer option in the console settings I think. Then make sure you delete all that info off your old console so the new owner doesn't have any chance of purchasing stuff on your LIVE account.

put all saves on USB drive or something else.

then reformat the harddrive of the one you are trading in. make sure your profile isnt still on there

trade in

you will have to google have to transfer your licenses over. its a fairly simple and painless process.

[quote name='Donut2922']I've only had one Xbox system myself but I think you can transfer your Xbox LIVE downloads and profile to the new Xbox. It's some sort of transfer option in the console settings I think. Then make sure you delete all that info off your old console so the new owner doesn't have any chance of purchasing stuff on your LIVE account.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kayne2000']put all saves on USB drive or something else.

then reformat the harddrive of the one you are trading in. make sure your profile isnt still on there

trade in

you will have to google have to transfer your licenses over. its a fairly simple and painless process.[/QUOTE]

Okay thank you. Does the 4GB Slim have a hard drive? I always just assumed it was flash memory or something of the sort. Seems silly to put a physical 4GB "hard drive" in the console.

I have nothing to transfer really; I've only downloaded free apps and I think one free add-on for MW3. The rest is just game saves which would be no major loss. I just want to make sure my XBL account is deleted from the console so the next owner can't access it.

Once that is done my concern was being able to log into the new xbox using my old gamertag/XBL account.

thanks a ton OP! traded my junky old WII, 3 extra controllers and 2 nav controllers, wii sports, mario party 8 and a balance board and got $130, not too shabby for something I was thinking about putting on craigslist for $50 or so...

The slim has a 4gb internal drive. Whatever you have downloaded, you just go to your history and re-download it. Far as your profile, you just choose the option to recover your profile and it will place it on the new console.

[quote name='aleraiders']how much will they give me if i give them a fat 360 with no HD?[/QUOTE]

$100 as long as you have all the cables and 1 controller. They do not require the HDD.

It is a 4gb ram chip that is wired onto one of circuit boards in the 360, so it is not a spinning hard disk sort of thing but a permanently attached flash memory sort of thing. You can't copy your XBL account/gamertag (although you can recovering it from MS directly) to another device....You can only move it, such as moving off your unit and onto USB drive, and then moving it off the USB onto your new xbox...so you can't have multiple copies of it floating around...just one that can be moved around....if you go into system settings, then storage and then look under gamer profiles, you'll find it....You only have the option of moving it or deleting it, so you if you do either one, it should be off the old xbox for good.

[quote name='GBAstar']Okay thank you. Does the 4GB Slim have a hard drive? I always just assumed it was flash memory or something of the sort. Seems silly to put a physical 4GB "hard drive" in the console.

I have nothing to transfer really; I've only downloaded free apps and I think one free add-on for MW3. The rest is just game saves which would be no major loss. I just want to make sure my XBL account is deleted from the console so the next owner can't access it.

Once that is done my concern was being able to log into the new xbox using my old gamertag/XBL account.[/QUOTE]

ok yea it has a 4GB memory thing. just think of it has a HDD as that is what it is for all intents and purposes.

and any old USB drive can get your game saves off and your profile even.

but then yea for you just sounds like go into system settings and find memory and the harddrive and i think clicking Y brings up the choice to reformat the HDD. google it to be sure if you are confused. my memory might be slightly off.

[quote name='flix1']I had been thinking about selling the phat ps3, but if I sell it to someone and it YLOD on them shortly after purchase, that would suck for both them and me, as I'm sure there would be some repercussions.[/QUOTE]
If it's on eBay, as long as they already left you positive feedback from the deal then what's done is done.

As for other places like Craigslist, I view items sold on there as as-is and people should always try to test out the items before buying them. If they don't and it fails after the deal, you have no obligation to do anything for them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If it's on eBay, as long as they already left you positive feedback from the deal then what's done is done.

As for other places like Craigslist, I view items sold on there as as-is and people should always try to test out the items before buying them. If they don't and it fails after the deal, you have no obligation to do anything for them.[/QUOTE]

Feedback has nothing to do with buyer protection. This is exactly what disputes are for, to prevent shady merchandise from taking over.

I'm not a fan on eBay, paying $40+/month in fees, but the site works.

[quote name='XF Gator']Feedback has nothing to do with buyer protection. This is exactly what disputes are for, to prevent shady merchandise from taking over.

I'm not a fan on eBay, paying $40+/month in fees, but the site works.[/QUOTE]
Shady merchandise? If a seller sells a used item and it works both when they sell it and when the buyer receives it, then to me that's a done deal. If it starts acting up after two weeks to a month of the buyer having it, then it's their responsibility to figure out what to do with it.

It may sound mean, but even GS only gives you a week to test something out and make sure it's ok before you're SOL.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Shady merchandise? If a seller sells a used item and it works both when they sell it and when the buyer receives it, then to me that's a done deal. If it starts acting up after two weeks to a month of the buyer having it, then it's their responsibility to figure out what to do with it.

It may sound mean, but even GS only gives you a week to test something out and make sure it's ok before you're SOL.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter. Refund policy or not eBay's buyer protection policy basically gives a buyer 45 days from the date of payment to decide if they want to keep the item or return it. If they aren't happy for any reason all they have to do is lie and open a SNAD (Significantly not as described) dispute through the resolution center. Their excuse can be anything, wrong color, doesn't work, whatever; eBay isn't going to take the time or effort to substaniate the claim and they will rule in favor of the buyer almost every time.

[quote name='GBAstar']Doesn't matter. Refund policy or not eBay's buyer protection policy basically gives a buyer 45 days from the date of payment to decide if they want to keep the item or return it. If they aren't happy for any reason all they have to do is lie and open a SNAD (Significantly not as described) dispute through the resolution center. Their excuse can be anything, wrong color, doesn't work, whatever; eBay isn't going to take the time or effort to substaniate the claim and they will rule in favor of the buyer almost every time.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly why I decided to not even bother using my eBay account to try selling anything. It's far too focused on the potential liars...errr buyers. I know not every buyer is gonna be a scamming pos, but there's always that chance and that's what has scared me away from using them.

I could never trade in my consoles. I would find an older game in my house, and sadly realize I couldn't play it because I traded in the corresponding system. This would be a better deal for some if it was a bigger store like BBY instead of having your credit locked into GameStop. My 120Gb Elite, and 750Gb (Original 80GB MGS PS3) still runs like a champ. I also have a gaming PC so it's just nice to have so many options when you're looking for the cheapest price on a game. ;) Just my two cents.

Do the 360s require wireless controllers for the prices posted on the first page? Probably do but who knows

bread's done
Back