Gamestop credit question (Update)

Strell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
288 (100%)
I know this is going to get me a lot of shit, but I need to ask it anyway.

If you go into GS and get credit from trade-ins, etc, and they give you a receipt that says "You have XX.XX in credit," do you HAVE to have THAT specific receipt in order to redeem it? (Note: I never got a giftcard, I don't know if that is normal practice or not, never done trade-ins before.)

I left on a week's vacation, and I thought I had the receipt in my wallet, but I can't find it. I'm sure it is somewhere, but I wanted to ask if they could pull that sort of thing up - like does it link to my name/address and is in their computer, or do I HAVE to have the receipt in order to show proof. I.e., does the proof of credit only appear on my side with the receipt, or does it reside in GS's computer? Likewise, if the latter is true and it IS in their computer, do I have to go back to the same GS or is it shared amongst all the stores?

Yes, losing the receipt was stupid, but I'm pretty sure I'll find it, and despite how stupid this question is, I can take the risk of asking it...

/needs new DS/GBA games soon...

Update: I found the receipt. Well, I find pieces of it. Some of you might have read the post about a 10% coupon I got in the mail that GS employees pretty much told me to piss off with (found here ). After that episode I got pissed and tore up the coupon - with the receipt in it. So I checked my trash and lo and behold, there was the receipt. Luckily it was only into about 4-5 pieces, the barcode is still easily readable. I showed it to someone after I repaired it and they didn't even see the rifts.

I'm updating also because it clearly says on the receipt that "if lost or stolen, cannot be replaced." So that puts my question to rest.

Anyway, a good ending. Imma go get Capcom Collections, Trauma Center, and Trace Memory now. :)

You just need to make sure you hold on the the receipt that had the bar code on it.

No, we don't store stuff in the computer, mostly to prevent bad employees from doing bad things. If you have your other receipts, they may be able to track it down. Just go in and ask.

My friend the only two ways to redeem the credit is with that receipt or if you bought something with the credit they may be able to track it at the store you bought the games at with the Gamebucks number at the bottom of that receipt.

I was able to do the second method before but I made sure I went to the same store.

Mr. Madness,

If he remebered the date that he traded in the items, could that store look it up and cross reference the paperwork where he gave them his information and signed
(they make customers do that here in Jax, FL area Gamestops) and give him the credit that way ?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just feel for the guy.

If you still have the receipt from the trade-in, they can call the corporate office and have them track it down, and in most cases, will redeem the old credit and re-issue it for you.

i've only had credit once at GS and they told me not to lose the receipt they gave me because that's my only proof of credit. it's a pretty stupid system since they don't store the credit in their computer and also don't give you a card like EB does.

wow.. i may never ever try to get credit there.. you can't purchase a gift card with the credit so you can have a tanglable proof of it? that seems stupid

I was worried about a similar issue with FYE, as I had a credit slip from them that was starting to fade (good old thermal paper receipt), so I decided it was time to turn it in before it became an issue.

Might be worth taking a photocopy of the receipt, so worst case, you could go back to that copy if the receipt disappears. They might or might not take it, though some proof is better than none.

Hey, I have some advice for keeping stuff like this safe.

Take a trading/playing card (preferably Japanese Pokemon card, because they are stiffer) and put them in a clear plastic sleeve (the loose kind).

Then fold up your reciept and put in the the plastic sleeve with the card. You can also put insurance cards, membership cards, student IDs, or any other paper that you need to protect.

Then just slide it in your wallet where you would put a credit card!

Credit from one gamestop works in any gamestop..

If you lose your credit slip and still have your receipt you can go into gamestop and show them that and they can either.. A) if its really long ago contact a DM to pull up your credit (takes about 24 hrs most likely) or B) If its fairly recent, they can do a journal lookup and find your credit amount and then call the help desk to pull it up along with checking in any trade-in logs

bread's done
Back