GameStop deal on Star Wars Trilogy

tdphillips

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
May be a repost, can't find it though.

The original SW trilogy (ep. 4-6) will be coming out on 9/15 on DVD according to my local Gamestop. They are having a deal trade any 3 used DVDs and get $20 off. Every 3 DVDs you trade gets you an additional $20 on the trilogy, so if you buy more than one, you can get quite a bit of credit.

It may be YMMV, but typically GameStop deals aren't.

hey, at least they finnayl put Haden Christiansen back in it. Wow, i cant believe they forgot to put him in when it first came out...

[quote name='Sartori']It's funny that you get to use the word "original", yet it means absolutely nothing in this case.[/quote]

Maybe not "original", how about the "re-released Special Editions"?? :wink:

[quote name='tdphillips']Maybe not "original", how about the "re-released Special Editions"?? :wink:[/quote]

Or the 'WTF?!? Why the hell did Greedo just fire? Get that shithead Lucas on the phone NOW!!!' Editions.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='tdphillips']Maybe not "original", how about the "re-released Special Editions"?? :wink:[/quote]

Or the 'WTF?!? Why the hell did Greedo just fire? Get that shithead Lucas on the phone NOW!!!' Editions.[/quote]

That is precisely why I jumped for joy when I recently found a cheap set of widescreen tapes of the "actual" original trilogy. It isn't near the near the image quality of these new dvds, but the quality of the movie is leaps and bounds above Star Wars: Ep. 4-6 Redux.

Thankfully, a friend of mine owns the Definitive Collection editions on laserdisc, and he was nice enough to make DVD-R copies of the original trilogy for me. 2.35:1 @ 16:9 enhanced, 2.0 Dolby Surround, Commentary track, and Chapter Selections. Best part, these are the original versions! :)

I'll still pick up the DVDs in September, though. They did a great job on picture and sound remastering.

Time to pick up a few buy 2 get 1 free DVDS from my local used game store (Game X Change). They sell them for about $4, so I should be able to pick this up pretty cheap. Anyone else that lives near one should check it out too. They'r in NW AR and E OK.

Are you sure there are no exclusions to the DVDs we can trade in. There are many horrible and cheap DVD movies that can be bought from the bargain bin for $4 or less. They are not far removed from behing plain old VCD discs and have ugly artwork. Gamestop would buy that stuff?

[quote name='Requiem']Are you sure there are no exclusions to the DVDs we can trade in. There are many horrible and cheap DVD movies that can be bought from the bargain bin for $4 or less. They are not far removed from behing plain old VCD discs and have ugly artwork. Gamestop would buy that stuff?[/quote]

Can't say about GameStop, but Electronics Boutique scanned my dvds and rejected several of them, and I assume Gamestop does the same. Basically, they usually don't take any dvds that have a suggested retail value or $5.95, and they don't take any Digital Leisure dvds.

[quote name='rebenns'][quote name='Requiem']Are you sure there are no exclusions to the DVDs we can trade in. There are many horrible and cheap DVD movies that can be bought from the bargain bin for $4 or less. They are not far removed from behing plain old VCD discs and have ugly artwork. Gamestop would buy that stuff?[/quote]

Can't say about GameStop, but Electronics Boutique scanned my dvds and rejected several of them, and I assume Gamestop does the same. Basically, they usually don't take any dvds that have a suggested retail value or $5.95, and they don't take any Digital Leisure dvds.[/quote]

I was at a Local Gamestop(Costa Mesa, CA) and they had this Vietnamese DVD there so I'm pretty sure that they would take in just about any DVD.

[quote name='droptopmetro'][quote name='rebenns'][quote name='Requiem']Are you sure there are no exclusions to the DVDs we can trade in. There are many horrible and cheap DVD movies that can be bought from the bargain bin for $4 or less. They are not far removed from behing plain old VCD discs and have ugly artwork. Gamestop would buy that stuff?[/quote]

Can't say about GameStop, but Electronics Boutique scanned my dvds and rejected several of them, and I assume Gamestop does the same. Basically, they usually don't take any dvds that have a suggested retail value or $5.95, and they don't take any Digital Leisure dvds.[/quote]

I was at a Local Gamestop(Costa Mesa, CA) and they had this Vietnamese DVD there so I'm pretty sure that they would take in just about any DVD.[/quote]

This is according to my local GS and they made no mention of exclusions. Now I wouldn't take any DVDs in from droptopmetro studios or burned copies or anything like that.

[quote name='tdphillips']Maybe not "original", how about the "re-released Special Editions"?? :wink:[/quote]

You can't even call it that, since these are different versions.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']actually Han shoots first in this set according to IGN[/quote]

Where did you see this Casey? I just checked all of IGN's articles, and they say that it is going to only include the 1997 remakes. It was the original in which Han shoots first.

Hmmm, it would be a decent deal if they take those $1 DVD's you can find at the dollar store ;) But my luck, I would buy them and they wouldn't and I would be stuck with some craptastic DVD's.

I do have some legit DVD's that I could part with....although, I could probably get $20 selling them on EBAY

At my Gamestop (central OK), there is an exclusion list. I'm going to try and acquire this list. I'll post it if I can get it tonight.

[quote name='Derwood43']At my Gamestop (central OK), there is an exclusion list. I'm going to try and acquire this list. I'll post it if I can get it tonight.[/quote]

If that's true at all Gamestops I stand corrected. My local one said "any" so I assumed "any". If anyone could get the list and post it that would be very helpful to some people.

btw, there are a ton of movies on DVD, so even if there is an exclusion list, there probably will be alot of real cheapos that slip through the cracks.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='CaseyRyback']actually Han shoots first in this set according to IGN[/quote]

Where did you see this Casey? I just checked all of IGN's articles, and they say that it is going to only include the 1997 remakes. It was the original in which Han shoots first.[/quote]

I had the link but now cannot find it. I made sure to check it as I knew someone would ask about this. It was when news first came out about the set. The part about Han shooting first is just kind of stuck in there. They had said that they were going to have this set fix some of the changes fans hated most(like han not shooting first)

I could be wrong though, as one thing I have learned is never trust IGN (like SC:pT is online for GCN)

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']do they have a full screen version and can you trade in only one dvd for some credit, and when does this deal start[/quote]

I don't have a clue if they have both FS and WS, you'd have to call. I think you can trade any # of DVDs, but you can only take advantage of the 3 for 20 by trading 3, and it has already started.

[quote name='tdphillips'][quote name='Derwood43']At my Gamestop (central OK), there is an exclusion list. I'm going to try and acquire this list. I'll post it if I can get it tonight.[/quote]

If that's true at all Gamestops I stand corrected. My local one said "any" so I assumed "any". If anyone could get the list and post it that would be very helpful to some people.

btw, there are a ton of movies on DVD, so even if there is an exclusion list, there probably will be alot of real cheapos that slip through the cracks.[/quote]

when a store that does trade ins says any, they mean any thats not on a hidden list we make up.

There are both wide and fool-screen versions of Star Wars coming out, but I have no idea whether GS will be selling both, I imagine they will be.

[quote name='guardian_owl']There are both wide and fool-screen versions of Star Wars coming out, but I have no idea whether GS will be selling both, I imagine they will be.[/quote]

Last time I was at work, I only saw the WS version listed. I'll keep an eye open and post if a FS version is added.

I was at WALMART, they sell DVD's for $1. They were pretty piss poor, I only remember that John Travolta movie "Buy in the Plastic Bubble"

But, buy 6 of these, get $40 off. IF they accept them. They looked like pretty generic DVD's.

[quote name='Derwood43']At my Gamestop (central OK), there is an exclusion list. I'm going to try and acquire this list. I'll post it if I can get it tonight.[/quote]if you look at the fine print where they show the prpmo, it mentions that only dvds from certain studios will be accepted. All i can remember is that New Line, Columbia, & Miramax were on the list

bread's done
Back