Gamestop emailing me giftcard for unused PO's?

myl0r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
132 (100%)
Has anyone ever had this happen?
I just received a text and voicemail saying that I should go to gamestop.com/credit and follow the 3 steps there to see if I have unclaimed store credit on any pre-orders.
So I go there, give my last name and phone number, and they said they will email me a gift card for $22.50!
I have no clue where this store credit came from, so you other CAG's might wanna check it out.
Still waiting on the email. It says its a printable gift card.

You'd have to get the call or text message... so it's a waste for anyone to try it if they didn't get a call/message.

most likely
but considering it took me about 1 or 2 minutes on the website, I'd say it's at least worth your time

[quote name='myl0r']most likely
but considering it took me about 1 or 2 minutes on the website, I'd say it's at least worth your time[/QUOTE]

it's an automated system, I don't think they would "add" you to this site till they have already tried contacting you. If you were contacted, you would already know then.

You have to input the number they reached you with.

I know there was some guy on here who had preordered Duke Nukem Forever waaaaaaay back when. I wonder if he'll get his credit.

[quote name='Strell']I know there was some guy on here who had preordered Duke Nukem Forever waaaaaaay back when. I wonder if he'll get his credit.[/QUOTE]
That game is coming out....BELIEVE IN SOMETHING!

Got the same text, and just printed out my $14.66 Gift Card. I still have absolutely NO idea what this is from. What's even weirder is that a friend of mine who use to help me with trade-in's called me today, and said he had the same message, but two of them, for like $70 in credit total! He used to do a lot of trading for me, but as far as either of us could remember he had never even pre-ordered ANYTHING. I'm not complaining, I guess; I'm swinging by his place tomorrow to grab those, then I'll have a free unexpected $85 in credit...and my wife was just saying how she wanted a Wii Fit...perfect!

I think I did this last Thursday or Friday for a $5 unused reserve credit, but have yet to get an email. Anyone else here in the same boat?

Of course, isn't it the return policy that if you return something or cancel a preorder, you get your money back in whatever you paid with, NOT a gift card? This is a nice little scam they got going on here to ensure that your money stays with them. You should be able to get your money back in whatever you paid them with, especially if you still have the preorder slip.

they are cheating you! if you went into the store and they pulled up your info you could get that money in cash (assuming thats how you payed for it). Gamestop employees HATE it when you cancel something on them.

You just need to be able to give them the right info that you preordered the game with though (aka the correct phone number or last name ect.) also you must go to the store you preordered it at. don't let them sucker you into getting a gift card when you could have CASH$$$

trust me, I know that I can get the CASH back if that is what I used.
However, I know this $22.50 is not from the store that I go to now. I'm not sure where it came from, because a few months ago I checked with all 3 stores I used to go to, and none of them had anything on my account. So to me, an extra $22.50 in credit isn't a bad thing, since they could have just kept their corporate mouths shut and let that credit sit in the computer at some random store and I never would have found it.

If any of you guys have changed your phone number, you might want to try with that number on the site too. I have like 4 Gamestops near me and one of them had an old number of mine which had $5 from my Mario Kart Wii pre-order I never picked up. I would never have received a message since I don't have that number anymore.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Of course, isn't it the return policy that if you return something or cancel a preorder, you get your money back in whatever you paid with, NOT a gift card? This is a nice little scam they got going on here to ensure that your money stays with them. You should be able to get your money back in whatever you paid them with, especially if you still have the preorder slip.[/QUOTE]

I actually did that at a much further away EB Games that I put down $5 on God Of War II at. It was in a mall that also had a Gamestop right upstairs from it, so since Gamestop figured it was stupid to have more than one store in the mall they closed it.

They were kind of shocked when I pulled out this yellowed receipt that I had been keeping in the event I went back that way.:lol:

[quote name='phantasyx']they are cheating you! if you went into the store and they pulled up your info you could get that money in cash (assuming thats how you payed for it). Gamestop employees HATE it when you cancel something on them.

You just need to be able to give them the right info that you preordered the game with though (aka the correct phone number or last name ect.) also you must go to the store you preordered it at. don't let them sucker you into getting a gift card when you could have CASH$$$[/QUOTE]

How are they cheating or suckering anyone? This is a situation where people obviously have forgotten about these pre-order down payments, and GS found a way to use it to get them back into the store. If you go into a store, and an employee tries to tell someone they can't get their money back on a pre-order, then that's wrong. But in this case, GS is actually doing people a favor, which is rare for them. If they did not contact them, they wouldn't even know they had this money lying around in GS's hands.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']How are they cheating or suckering anyone? This is a situation where people obviously have forgotten about these pre-order down payments, and GS found a way to use it to get them back into the store. If you go into a store, and an employee tries to tell someone they can't get their money back on a pre-order, then that's wrong. But in this case, GS is actually doing people a favor, which is rare for them. If they did not contact them, they wouldn't even know they had this money lying around in GS's hands.[/QUOTE]

It's cheating because they tell them nothing about their real rights to get the money back in whatever they paid with.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']How are they cheating or suckering anyone? This is a situation where people obviously have forgotten about these pre-order down payments, and GS found a way to use it to get them back into the store. If you go into a store, and an employee tries to tell someone they can't get their money back on a pre-order, then that's wrong. But in this case, GS is actually doing people a favor, which is rare for them. If they did not contact them, they wouldn't even know they had this money lying around in GS's hands.[/QUOTE]
it's sad that some people have such a blind hate for Gamestop that they can not admit when they do something good.
I agree, Gamestop can be pretty crappy at times. But what they are doing here is a good thing for all parties. Like you said, it gets people back in stores. And it helps the person out by giving them store credit they didn't know they had. No need to hate

Apparently you people don't get it. Instead of the $5 reserve money they already have from you, if they give you a $5 or whatever amount gift card to spend, then you'll spend $55 more to get a game. That's what they're counting on with this. It has nothing to do with helping the consumer.

[quote name='myl0r']But what they are doing here is a good thing for all parties. [/QUOTE]

That's the key. This is credit that was tied up in their system, and they found a good way to make use of it. Saying that they are cheating you is pretty silly, considering that people obviously forgot about the pre-orders and were out the money, anyway. Let's see...what's better? GS contacting you and telling you that you can get a gift card for these pre-orders you never picked up...or you never knowing about it at all? I'll take the former, especially considering that I'm not a moron, and I know "my rights."

Honestly, I've never heard of any other store doing this. Has anyone else? I am sure that over the years I have forgotten about pre-orders somewhere, and I'm guessing they simply eventually pocketed the money when enough time past.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Apparently you people don't get it. Instead of the $5 reserve money they already have from you, if they give you a $5 or whatever amount gift card to spend, then you'll spend $55 more to get a game. That's what they're counting on with this. It has nothing to do with helping the consumer.[/QUOTE]

People have already said that it's beneficial to both parties. That's exactly what we were referring to. Once again, what's better? People knowing about this or not? Honestly, as the other guy said, some of you just find reasons to complain about GS. If you really feel a need to do that, actually complain about the dumb crap they do, like selling opened games as new. This isn't anything worth complaining about.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Apparently you people don't get it. Instead of the $5 reserve money they already have from you, if they give you a $5 or whatever amount gift card to spend, then you'll spend $55 more to get a game. That's what they're counting on with this. It has nothing to do with helping the consumer.[/QUOTE]
Somewhat. But no one is twisting your arm to spend more than your pre-order amount. Mine was for $22.50. I chose to buy Uncharted 2 because I had extra store credit. But I could have simply come in and bought a $20 game or a MS Points card.

I've pre-ordered a lot of stuff over the years from a lot of different places, big and small, and I've never had an employee explain in detail what I am entitled to if I don't pick the pre-order up. I don't see how this is any different, except in this case, GS is trying to use it to their advantage to get you to buy more stuff in their store. As the others guys said, this is money people had no clue they were even entitled to.

as an ex employee I can only say gamestop is trying to screw the shaq fu out of you. SOO many people have gotten fired over returning the THOUSANDS of customers forgotten pre orders into cash for themselves. they most likely got into some legal trouble over storing customers preorder money and our now still trying to entice you to buy more crap for a lousy 5 or 10 pre order money that they CHANGE to giftcard, forcing you to do business.

I dare you to try and tell me something different and how gamestop is great.

Well, I forgot about my ODST preorder that I fully paid off and never actually got. I didn't get a phone call but this thread reminded me to go to Gamestop and get it.

Thank you. About time someone noticed this. Nothing a company ever does is for the consumer. Get over yourselves, people.

And for most of you guys, you should just check out the link. I didn't receive a text or email and went to the link and I just found out I had $5 worth of credit somewhere. I'm pretty sure I know what store it's at and I know it's for SCIV, but I don't feel like going to the store to get it. I'll take a card mailed to me just fine.

I still disagree. I mean, yeah, you can call their motives, and it's probably right on the money, but the fact is they're giving the forgetful people back their money with no stipulation that it has to be spent on a new release.

What of the people who paid cash, I wonder? They don't get their money back, just a gift card? If that's true, then that would make me a little mad.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']

What of the people who paid cash, I wonder? They don't get their money back, just a gift card? If that's true, then that would make me a little mad.[/QUOTE]

I paid cash for that $5 preorder. I'm only getting back my $5 in credit. I don't mind much though. I shop at GS a lot so it's whatever.

Ugh, I have a new phone number and I know I preordered a couple of games that I forgot to back and refund. You think I can go to the actual Gamestop store and get my money back without receipt?

[quote name='DarkRider23']I paid cash for that $5 preorder. I'm only getting back my $5 in credit. I don't mind much though. I shop at GS a lot so it's whatever.[/QUOTE]
I would feel the same way, although I could see why others would be upset.

So... if you didn't accept the email or whatever, you could just take this as a friendly notification and cancel your preorder and get a normal refund?

They texted me about a week ago saying I had $20 in credit from old preorders I didnt pickup. I can only remember preordering one of them Harvest Moon games for the cow plush and I forgot what the other 3 games were.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I paid cash for that $5 preorder. I'm only getting back my $5 in credit. I don't mind much though. I shop at GS a lot so it's whatever.[/QUOTE]

Not me. Unless I'm making the cash/credit from stuff I got free(Fairytale Fights) or from stuff I bought with credit I got from games I got cheap/free(see prior), then I avoid Gamestop like the fuckin' plague.

Of course, apparently GS only likes when you are a Joe Shmoe and come in and trade week old new releases for $15 each and don't bring enough games to get in on promos and fuck yourself while they make all of the profit(like I found out yesterday when I tried hitting a second GS in two days to dump 2 more Fairytale Fights and a bunch of higher value PS3 games).

tl;dr version: If you're letting GS give it to you up the pooper good and not get in on their trade deals due to stupidity, you're a valued customer. If you're a smart customer and only trade games you got stupid cheap and know all about the promos and how to best take advantage of them you're not wanted as a customer.

I'm not the biggest GameStop fan either, but this thread makes me laugh. GameStop is horrible for reminding people about credit they'd probably forgotten they had? Seriously?

[quote name='rainking187']I'm not the biggest GameStop fan either, but this thread makes me laugh. GameStop is horrible for reminding people about credit they'd probably forgotten they had? Seriously?[/QUOTE]

If it was originally paid in the form of cash, then I'd say yes. I'd want the refund of the pre-order deposit in the payment form made. If I paid real money, I want real money, not stinkin' credit I can only use at Gamestop.:bomb:

[quote name='Strell']I know there was some guy on here who had preordered Duke Nukem Forever waaaaaaay back when. I wonder if he'll get his credit.[/QUOTE]

I had Starcraft Ghost preordered, then I moved and never got my money back for that.

[quote name='rainking187']I'm not the biggest GameStop fan either, but this thread makes me laugh. GameStop is horrible for reminding people about credit they'd probably forgotten they had? Seriously?[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they're horrible, I'm just trying to remind people that GameStop is a business and they sure as shit aren't doing this for the customer.

I got one too I have $24. I kind of remember what it was for. I won an NBA game for 360 two years ago and I didn't have a 360. Traded it in and put that toward a preorder because I couldn't find anything I wanted. I think I preordered Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Takawhatever 3 for ps2 then just forgot about it because I moved onto another game system. If its not that I don't remember then.

some of you dont realize how massive the amount of preorders people forget, Halo 3 for example came out what 2+ years ago? our store had well over $1000 of forgotten preorders, and that is just 1 game and 1 store, now times that by the 5000 stores and 100's of games that have been preordered beyond a year ago.

I bet you anything they got sued or are going to get sued. I hate gamestop, I will only trade them worthless games like nba 2006 for a dollar or something

[quote name='phantasyx']some of you dont realize how massive the amount of preorders people forget, Halo 3 for example came out what 2+ years ago? our store had well over $1000 of forgotten preorders, and that is just 1 game and 1 store, now times that by the 5000 stores and 100's of games that have been preordered beyond a year ago.

I bet you anything they got sued or are going to get sued. I hate gamestop, I will only trade them worthless games like nba 2006 for a dollar or something[/QUOTE]
I don't understand why they would get sued over FORGOTTEN pre-order money.
If they are denying people their money back, that would be one thing.

Bottom line is this-I find what they are doing to be a good thing for all parties. It benefits the consumer who would have lived the rest of their lives without their $5+ ever returning, and that person would have NEVER batted an eyelash over it, because they forgot about it.
You find what they are doing evil and repulsive.
Different strokes, give it a rest.

Haven't stumbled into the bragging rights thread for a while, but I received an email for a 10 dollar preorder I put down to get some freebie like 2 years back.

With that 10, my store credit is now 585.80, thanks gamestop lol

I ended up getting about $14 back, and had a buddy who got $70 in credit back for me. I am certain that he never did a preorder for me, so I am still befuddled by where this mystery credit originated....

This definitely seems fishy now, I got one for about $50 a while back, tried to use it today and it said it only had $5 on it. I haven't bought anything from GameStop since I got the call about this, so either they've seriously fucked up or are using really outdated information and tried to send me money I probably had on my Edge card months ago. But I don't even have $5 on my Edge card currently, so that one doesn't really make sense. The guy was nice about it and fell all over himself apologizing, but he tried to call some department and get it sorted out but they were closed till monday. I'm going back on monday, but I'm not real hopeful about it now.

EDIT: Damn looks like I'm out of luck. I thought the number looked familiar, it's the number of my old Edge card. The one I haven't used in two years. It apparently has had $5 on it all this time. I don't know where the hell they got the $50 total from.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back