GameStop employee denied new Wii U return

WhatsYoFlava

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
So I preordered and picked up my Wii U Deluxe on launch date from my local Gamestop. It's been sitting at at home unopened this whole time.

Today I decided to just return it because I believe I could literally walk into most stores and buy it again at a later time and Pikmin doesn't come out until May. I go in my local store and the employee is unboxing it to make sure everything checks out. As he is doing that, he realizes that I bought it on launch date and then tells me since Nintendo doesn't put a seal on the Wii U consoles, there's no way of telling if it has been used or not. So I have to wait to hear back from his district manager the next day on whether or not I can return it. He takes down my information and tells me he will call me tomorrow and find out.

I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it since there were several customers behind me but I asked him if the console looked used to you? He tells me he can't really say since there isn't a seal. I'm at a disbelief at this point so here I am waiting to get a phone call to see what the district manager says. So now I have a slightly opened Wii U due to the employee inspecting it. The return policy clearly states 30 days for unopened merchandise with receipt.

I'm curious to see how you guys would handle this situation if I get a call back later denying the return.

I would've pitched a fit right then and there. It's not my fault they didn't put a random GS sticker over the openings on the outside of the box to clearly indicate whether the box had been opened or not. Either follow your clearly stated return policy or give me the DM's number and I'll call him myself. I'm not one to typically make a scene, but when it's something that I am clearly in the right, I will do what I have to. In your case, I would call the customer service number ASAP. It'll get forwarded to the DM and you'll get a response much quicker than you are going to currently get.

I returned a Wii U I bought on launch day yesterday at Gamestop and I had no problems returning it. The employee opened up the box to check if everything was there and then proceeded to refund my money. Seems that the employee who served you was being a bit unreasonable.

[quote name='Warner1281']I would've pitched a fit right then and there. It's not my fault they didn't put a random GS sticker over the openings on the outside of the box to clearly indicate whether the box had been opened or not. Either follow your clearly stated return policy or give me the DM's number and I'll call him myself. I'm not one to typically make a scene, but when it's something that I am clearly in the right, I will do what I have to. In your case, I would call the customer service number ASAP. It'll get forwarded to the DM and you'll get a response much quicker than you are going to currently get.[/QUOTE]I called the customer service number and they told me there was nothing he can do. Only the manager could decide that.

Trying to find their corporate number and email...

[quote name='Neo Queen Serenity']I returned a Wii U I bought on launch day yesterday at Gamestop and I had no problems returning it. The employee opened up the box to check if everything was there and then proceeded to refund my money. Seems that the employee who served you was being a bit unreasonable.[/QUOTE]Damn. I figured it was the employee... I was thinking about just trying to return it at another store. If I knew returning was gonna be this much of a hassle, I would've never bought it from GS in the first place.

I'm honestly baffled as to why Nintendo didn't put a seal on it. I can honestly understand his worry (because lets me honest, it'd be really easy to return a bricked console), but he should have given you your money back since this was Nintendo's decision, not yours.

thats nothing i returned a 360 to walmart sealed in box the way it came.... opened it up right in front of them there was no packing list and they said it was not theirs

even though it said ONLY AT WALMART LOL

Former employee and manager at GS only thing he had to do was check to see what was inside the box ask the manager and refund. Didn't have to give you the extra step. I can see if they didn't have the money or you didn't have a receipt.

im sure youll be able to get a refund. and yea i would have left that store and went directly to the next nearest gamestop i could find. sounds like an issolated employee issue. possibly

[quote name='slidecage']thats nothing i returned a 360 to walmart sealed in box the way it came.... opened it up right in front of them there was no packing list and they said it was not theirs

even though it said ONLY AT WALMART LOL[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing with a xbox360. I bought it from walmart took it home and hooked it up for one day and played it and brought it back the next day to return. The people working customer service took like 45 minutes to process the return because they kept saying a memory card was missing. I kept telling them nothing was missing from the xbox and after a long while they opened another unit to check it contents.

TC sounds like he is getting burned on the return policy but it also sounds like he bought the console just to flip and price gouge people. So I call it good ole street justice.

I won't feel that bad for someone who is a gamestop employee and gets stuck with an item he was going to ebay anyway.

[quote name='needler420']I did the same thing with a xbox360. I bought it from walmart took it home and hooked it up for one day and played it and brought it back the next day to return.[/QUOTE]

Wait...how was that the same thing? :booty:

The problem I think they are facing is the returns from individuals that bought the Wii U for grey market sales. Still not something he should have denied, but it's the fact right now. This system did not hype the same.

I'm not saying the OP did this but in my opinion if you buy something to resell and you judged the value poorly then you should eat those costs.

Again not calling out the OP but for people that find themselves in this position you should just man up and eat the costs and sell it for as much as you can even if it means a loss.

I'm sure somewhere in the country we have people who preordered and picked up 50+ of these and had to return a huge majority.

Anyone know Nintendo's reasoning for not putting a seal on this system? Every other system they have released have all had some sort of seal on the outside packaging, right?

[quote name='Josef']Anyone know Nintendo's reasoning for not putting a seal on this system? Every other system they have released have all had some sort of seal on the outside packaging, right?[/QUOTE]

That's my question. It seems like this will make the system prone to fraudulent returns.

I'm sure from their point of view nobody in their right mind could possibly return a Nintendo product. That's just crazy, so who needs a seal?

I have not read all of these comments, so I may be repeating something.

While you might get lucky and the employee, actually, gave the DM your info, DO NOTTTTTTTT trust GameStop employees to give the DM your info!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough!!!!!!!!! Call other GSs around the area and ask if the store you bought it from shares the same DM and ask them for the DMs number. Don't tell them why.

Try to find the district manager's info on your own!

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I have not read all of these comments, so I may be repeating something.

While you might get lucky and the employee, actually, gave the DM your info, DO NOTTTTTTTT trust GameStop employees to give the DM your info!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough!!!!!!!!! Call other GSs around the area and ask if the store you bought it from shares the same DM and ask them for the DMs number. Don't tell them why.

Try to find the district manager's info on your own![/QUOTE]You were dead right on that. I didn't get a call today...

Needless to say I went to another Gamestop and got it returned. The employee at this store just took a slight glimpse of what was inside and checked the serial on the box and I was good to go. He did question me on why I didn't take it back to the original store on the receipt. Just told him I was in the area.

I did get a bad vibe throughout the whole process though. It felt like as if he thought I was some criminal or customer attempting return fraud. I could just tell by the way the he was interacting with me. Maybe they're getting a lot of returns due to resellers?

Now I'm deciding on whether or not I should still try to get in touch with the DM to tell them the situation with the denied return at the first store...

The original employee you were dealing with may have been balls deep in the fact that all DM's are stressing GameStop stores to sell-thru Wii U's, and are ranking them based on units sold. A returned unit just takes away from that score.

Either way, refusing to return the system for something like is just ridiculous. Next time you find yourself in a situation like that, what I would recommend is buying something in store for a dirt cheap price and using the feedback number to speak your mind. Believe it or not, DM's read those daily and reach out to store management about any issues posed.

Just an idea :) Glad you got your money back though! That first employee was a fucktard.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Glad everything worked out. On a separate note..... I like that avatar.[/QUOTE]

Thanks if you meant my avatar!:D

Good thing you didn't wait around and let them play with your money!

[quote name='Josef']Anyone know Nintendo's reasoning for not putting a seal on this system? Every other system they have released have all had some sort of seal on the outside packaging, right?[/QUOTE]
To answer your question, no. I know my NES, SNES N64 didn't have seals on them. Never bought a Gamecube, and I don't remember on the Wii box.

[quote name='SlammedNiss'] Never bought a Gamecube[/QUOTE]

I know the Gamecube(the one had LOZ:CE bundled in) I bought had a seal on the box. Because I remember it tore a piece of the box off while pulling the seal off.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']To answer your question, no. I know my NES, SNES N64 didn't have seals on them. Never bought a Gamecube, and I don't remember on the Wii box.[/QUOTE]

That was a much different era. Return policies weren't anywhere near as liberal as they are now and it was common practice for most retailers to have a restocking fee for electronics.

I can't believe I never noticed this but... I just checked our 2 Wii (early versions) and 2 GC (both black) boxes, and none have stickers on them. All of our Sony and MS console boxes have stickers though.

Weird, I never noticed that lack of a sticker on a box until I got the Wii U. I always figured every console had them.

[quote name='WhatsYoFlava']...If I knew returning was gonna be this much of a hassle, I would've never bought it from GS in the first place.[/QUOTE]

This is probably the best advice in this thread.

I wonder if a lot of the Wii U's popping up at retail stores are due to customers returning their units from the failed flip opportunities.

[quote name='Donut2922']I wonder if a lot of the Wii U's popping up at retail stores are due to customers returning their units from the failed flip opportunities.[/QUOTE]

lol.. You would think, I really think Nintendo dropped the ball on not naming the system, at least don't make it look similar.

[quote name='Donut2922']I wonder if a lot of the Wii U's popping up at retail stores are due to customers returning their units from the failed flip opportunities.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that's part of the reason but I'm guessing Nintendo also produced a lot more units this time.

[quote name='skiizim']I'm pretty sure I remember Nintendo portable systems do have a sticker.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they all certainly do have a sticker on them, and boy were they irritating stickers that just didn't come off without ripping parts of the box with it.

I have a similar situation. With the twins my current consoles are enough for my free time. Problem is, I have no clue where the packing slip is so I guess I'm keeping it.

bread's done
Back