GameStop employees = clueless

Oh noes! They don't know about every damn game that comes out!

Christ man, do you know about every game that comes out?

I think not. Cut them some slack.

Only Gamecrazy has it instore, but it's limited, like 1 copy per store. Also Fry's I think. I had to order from EBgames.com to get mine.

I don't really trust GS/EB employees, not since I asked if they were getting in Ultimate Block Party on PSP and the manager said the computer told him it was cancelled. Which is exactly why 7 stores within 50 miles have it and it's on the site.

[quote name='Kuros']Oh noes! They don't know about every damn game that comes out!

Christ man, do you know about every game that comes out?

I think not. Cut them some slack.[/QUOTE]
Considering they said it was a Japan only release, they must know something about it.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']You should have asked the employee to check for it in the computer.[/QUOTE]
Last I checked, the Silent Hill Experience isn't listed (at least specifically) in the system. :(
There's a generic "Silent Hill" preorder sku for psp if I remember correctly, but nothing for Experience. Sucks, was hoping to get my discount on it. :p

I'm so sick of hearing people bitch about Gamestop employees. I work at a GS I'm amazed at how many customers we get who are just like the OP and act like they know everything. Why is it our fault we didn't know about a game our stores didn't even get? It's not. Why are Gamestop employees held to such a higher standard than everyone else? When I eat at a Burger King or something and they mess up my order, I don't go online and start a thread about it. I'm no Gamestop promoter either. Personally, I think Gamestop is a shitty company to work for. It just pisses me of that they're the company everyone loves to hate for no reason.

Another thing people don't realize is you don't have to know a damn thing about videogames to work at a Gamestop. It helps, but it's far from a prerequisite. Employees have to know how to sell product. They have to be able to sell subscriptions, reservations, GPGs, and so on. When the manager I work for was hired, he didn't know a thing about videogames, but he's a very good salesman.

Believe me, if we didn't have to ask every single customer if they want a GS card or want to reserve a game, we wouldn't (well, at least I wouldn't). But whenever I ring up a transaction and I don't ask a customer about a res, sub, or GPG and my boss hears then I get to hear about it. So if you're tired of hearing about reservations and such or think the employees suck, contact the DM, or better yet, stop shopping there.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I'm so sick of hearing people bitch about Gamestop employees. I work at a GS I'm amazed at how many customers we get who are just like the OP and act like they know everything. Why is it our fault we didn't know about a game our stores didn't even get? It's not. Why are Gamestop employees held to such a higher standard than everyone else? When I eat at a Burger King or something and they mess up my order, I don't go online and start a thread about it. I'm no Gamestop promoter either. Personally, I think Gamestop is a shitty company to work for. It just pisses me of that they're the company everyone loves to hate for no reason.

Another thing people don't realize is you don't have to know a damn thing about videogames to work at a Gamestop. It helps, but it's far from a prerequisite. Employees have to know how to sell product. They have to be able to sell subscriptions, reservations, GPGs, and so on. When the manager I work for was hired, he didn't know a thing about videogames, but he's a very good salesman.

Believe me, if we didn't have to ask every single customer if they want a GS card or want to reserve a game, we wouldn't (well, at least I wouldn't). But whenever I ring up a transaction and I don't ask a customer about a res, sub, or GPG and my boss hears then I get to hear about it. So if you're tired of hearing about reservations and such or think the employees suck, contact the DM, or better yet, stop shopping there.[/QUOTE]

:cry:

I got my gripes about Gamestop/EB but my god I swear there is at least 3-4 threads started every day about GS/EB. I still think a general "GS/EB Rant Thread" should be started... fuck..... I'm done suggesting... I'm DOING it.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']
Believe me, if we didn't have to ask every single customer if they want a GS card or want to reserve a game, we wouldn't (well, at least I wouldn't). But whenever I ring up a transaction and I don't ask a customer about a res, sub, or GPG and my boss hears then I get to hear about it. So if you're tired of hearing about reservations and such or think the employees suck, contact the DM, or better yet, stop shopping there.[/quote]

When people whine about GS employees, most of them are really complaining about GS policies. You don't usually hear about "clueless" employees like the OP. Most of the time you hear about people complaining about GS the company. Most of us know by now that GS sets policies that wouldn't be acceptable in most other industries and markets. They take advantage of arbitrage situations in a used games market for most of their earning, taking advantage of uninformed customers in ways that wouldn't happen in a used car market, for example. Most customers just don't do the research required to find actual market price for used games. Don't take the employee bashing personally.

[quote name='mbstuff']When people whine about GS employees, most of them are really complaining about GS policies. You don't usually hear about "clueless" employees like the OP. Most of the time you hear about people complaining about GS the company. Most of us know by now that GS sets policies that wouldn't be acceptable in most other industries and markets. They take advantage of arbitrage situations in a used games market for most of their earning, taking advantage of uninformed customers in ways that wouldn't happen in a used car market, for example. Most customers just don't do the research required to find actual market price for used games. Don't take the employee bashing personally.[/quote]

The thing is though, I see people bashing the employees all the time. I've seen it plenty here and at other websites (especially gamefaqs). Like I posted in the other thread, I understand people who have issues with their policies, and I agree with most of them. I try not to take bashing employees personally, but when I see it constantly it begins to wear out its welcome and I get irritated.

Just because one employee didn't know about one game doesn't mean every employee working for the company is the same way. My coworkers and I pride ourselves knowing that we do have videogame knowledge and we take our jobs seriously and it's why were always at the top of our district.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I had a customer storm out of my store with his 6-8 year old daughter saying "screw them" because we told them we don't have a public restroom (which we don't, but people still don't get it).

[quote name='jfunkdpg']The thing is though, I see people bashing the employees all the time. I've seen it plenty here and at other websites (especially gamefaqs). Like I posted in the other thread, I understand people who have issues with their policies, and I agree with most of them. I try not to take bashing employees personally, but when I see it constantly it begins to wear out its welcome and I get irritated.

Just because one employee didn't know about one game doesn't mean every employee working for the company is the same way. My coworkers and I pride ourselves knowing that we do have videogame knowledge and we take our jobs seriously and it's why were always at the top of our district.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I had a customer storm out of my store with his 6-8 year old daughter saying "screw them" because we told them we don't have a public restroom (which we don't, but people still don't get it).[/QUOTE]

Amen brother!!! I'm seriously getting tired of hearing these same stories over and over again.If you really want to bash something it should be government service like postal office,dmv,tax and etc.Those place are 10x worser.Everytime I enter a gamestop/eb I been getting excellent service.They treat me nice,find the game I wanted and never hassle me on returns.Sure,I'm may have some bad experiences,but it not gamestop fault it just a bad employee.We can't let the bad apple ruin everything.Seriously,stop making these same threads every single day or week.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']Why are Gamestop employees held to such a higher standard than everyone else?[/QUOTE]

I think it comes from places like Gamecrazy, Gamestop and EB Games are all places the focus JUST on games, so people assume because you work in a place like that and there is only one focus, you should know your stuff inside out. I do agree with you though many places that sell video games don't always have people who know 100% about video games. I worked with one guy at TRU who kind of played games but not really. He was an amazing salesman though, really nice, customers loved him and he was fun to work with. He eventually picked up on a lot of the information we were giving him and so on about the basics of the game systems so he could at least work with that.

On the other hand it is nice to work with people in general you feel confident with, that you all know as much about games as the other.

Also some not ALL Gamestop/EB employees can be really snotty about knowing so much about games that it also brings them in even more high regard because to just a parent and kid walking in they sound like they know EXACTLY what are talking about.

One guy at a Gamestop that I go to every other week told my girlfriend that Hori Screen Protectors were only released in Japan. (we were looking for them for her DS). Sure she knew it wasn't true because her friend had got them a while back, but it's just that little bit of wrong information that may make certain customers (casual/parents) not want to come in later on. Simply because they research and find the information to be false. On another occasion a close friend of mine asked the same employee if they had Guitar Hero, and he said it was only released in Japan. My friend said "No that was actually Guitar Freaks". The guy kept telling him it was a Japanese release only for that game.

I do feel the pressure sometimes as well working in a video game section in a store to always be up to date, because some other gamer is going to ream me because I didn't know the EXACT specs of the Xbox 360, or not believing we won't be getting a certain game in. I totally understand where you are coming from but again it is nice to actually be up on your information as you are your friends at work are. I do feel really annoyed as well when people bash on TRU R-zone employees, since I am one and I work with some really great guys who know their stuff. Not all of us are fucking stupid.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I'm so sick of hearing people bitch about Gamestop employees. I work at a GS I'm amazed at how many customers we get who are just like the OP and act like they know everything. Why is it our fault we didn't know about a game our stores didn't even get? It's not. Why are Gamestop employees held to such a higher standard than everyone else? When I eat at a Burger King or something and they mess up my order, I don't go online and start a thread about it. I'm no Gamestop promoter either. Personally, I think Gamestop is a shitty company to work for. It just pisses me of that they're the company everyone loves to hate for no reason.

Believe me, if we didn't have to ask every single customer if they want a GS card or want to reserve a game, we wouldn't (well, at least I wouldn't). But whenever I ring up a transaction and I don't ask a customer about a res, sub, or GPG and my boss hears then I get to hear about it. So if you're tired of hearing about reservations and such or think the employees suck, contact the DM, or better yet, stop shopping there.[/QUOTE]

indeed.

and besides OP, its NOT in the gamestop computer.

I agree with jfunkdpg, I don't expect employees anywhere to know everything, that is just asking way to fucking much. I work at RiteAid and I don't know shit about most of the products.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']I walked into my local GameStop yesterday looking for Konami's Silent Hill Experience for PSP, and was told it was a Japanese-only release.

http://www.konami.com/gs/gameinfo.php?id=177

F-tards...[/QUOTE]

So, if it's apparently only a Gamestop / EB website exclusive, wouldn't that make you an f-tard for expecting to find the game there?

Oh wait, you didn't know that it was a website only release for their chain? Just like they didn't know it was released out of Japan?

Oh, the irony!

[quote name='Roufuss']So, if it's apparently only a Gamestop / EB website exclusive, wouldn't that make you an f-tard for expecting to find the game there?

Oh wait, you didn't know that it was a website only release for their chain? Just like they didn't know it was released out of Japan?

Oh, the irony![/QUOTE]

Its any employee of any store to know everything about what they sell. If its videogames, they should know what systems and games the customer already owns. Duhh. Its not our problem you don't know that PS2 does NOT read Xbox games, and that there is no Mario Kart on Xbox.

Gamers are an intelligent but also moody lot it seems. We also have a passion about our "hobby" many take gaming as a life style. Gamestop/EBgames are monster corporations, they hire the biggest idiots or biggest jerks and few know about games, and they rip us off horribly....and for many people they have no choice but to go to these stores because it is all they have near them. This causes alot of resentment and anger in an already touchy group of people.

There are good gamestop/ebgames employees, I have even had friends that work in game stores. But most people that work in these stores have issues and the company itself is just horrible.

And finally it SHOULD be expected that if you work for a company you know about the product you are selling. If I go to a burger king and asked waht came on the whopper I would expect they could awnser me. At a gamestop I expect them to know about games....something that they rarely do....and again even when they do it seems the people are rude assholes who act as if they are better then everyone else.

[quote name='MSI Magus']
And finally it SHOULD be expected that if you work for a company you know about the product you are selling. If I go to a burger king and asked waht came on the whopper I would expect they could awnser me. At a gamestop I expect them to know about games....something that they rarely do....and again even when they do it seems the people are rude assholes who act as if they are better then everyone else.[/QUOTE]

So, asking a question to Burger King which sells only 10 different products is the same as walking into a gamestore and asking a question about a game that has numerous sequels on different systems, and with thousands of games IN the actual store? Thats the same? No, its not.

[quote name='gizmogc']So, asking a question to Burger King which sells only 10 different products is the same as walking into a gamestore and asking a question about a game that has numerous sequels on different systems, and with thousands of games IN the actual store? Thats the same? No, its not.[/QUOTE]

Did I say I would expect them to know every single game they sell? Did I say these two situations were the exact same? No I did not.

Honestly, you just seem to have a problem with anyone with any kind of complaint against one of these companies, and you seem to just be really rude in general.

All I said was that I expected them to know their product. That simple, bottom line. I have bought games before like Bombastic which the employees have no freaking clue about and it not only doesnt bug me, but I have taken a moment for a few of them to tell them about the title when they are gamers...and as a result sold a few games to them which they have told me they were happy with. But I DO have a problem with a teenage girl working in the store who doesnt even freaking know what system Halo is on or launch dates for the major systems or their own damn warranty policies.

When you are working in a store specializing in a certain type of product you should actually know something about that product, gamestop and ebgames employees often dont.

[quote name='MSI Magus']. But I DO have a problem with a teenage girl working in the store who doesnt even freaking know what system Halo is on or launch dates for the major systems or their own damn warranty policies.

When you are working in a store specializing in a certain type of product you should actually know something about that product, gamestop and ebgames employees often dont.[/QUOTE]

There is a reason for these two points:

1) The reason they got a teenage girl working in there, sometimes even an attractive one, is to get the lonely, nerdy, EB / Gamestop regulars to buy shit. An attractive girl can talk sales out of anyone, as long as she is trained to say certain things. Ask any girl who works in an EB / Gamestop, male customers will come to them the most.

2) If they hire gamers, gamers that know alot of shit, it's harder for those gamers to actually DO THEIR JOB. Let's say you really had to push the shit out of a game you knew sucked. Most gamers wouldn't, Gamestop / EB gets less sales on that game, the company gets pissed because it paid for extra advertising, and everyone loses. Most "gamers" don't understand the difference between a job and a hobby, and need to check their personal preferences at the door. Some do, those people should be applauded.

I don't expect them to know about every single game in the store. I do expect them to know the basics, know the huge, hot selling games, but why should I care that they don't know about some digital comic on PSP? What I expect from them is fast, efficent service, so I can get in, get my purchase, and get out in a reasonable amount of time.

[quote name='Roufuss']There is a reason for these two points:

1) The reason they got a teenage girl working in there, sometimes even an attractive one, is to get the lonely, nerdy, EB / Gamestop regulars to buy shit. An attractive girl can talk sales out of anyone, as long as she is trained to say certain things. Ask any girl who works in an EB / Gamestop, male customers will come to them the most.
.[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is that they're basically strippers that keep their clothes on.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So what you're saying is that they're basically strippers that keep their clothes on.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Sometimes you'll get the odd girl that really knows their games, but at EVERY EB / Gamestop around here the girl is hired just for eye candy, and just to smile and look nice and push a preorder and a subscription.

LOL Roufuss, a few gamers who work at one or more of the EB/GS stores here have TOLD me how much a new release they're forced to push from corporate is gonna SUCK while they're pushing it.

Of course, I think on those days, the store manager wasn't working. But still, its good to know that a gamer working at a game store will tell you when a new release is going to be utter crap and to steer clear.

@ Roufuss

I really don't agree with your first point too much although, it probably does happen and I just don't relaize it.

Your second point I wholeheartedly agree with. As a gamer myself I would feel bad for allowing shitty devlopers to thrive while good games with developers who work hard get nothing for their toils.

ive known the 'token girl' thats worked at gamestops and hardly knows anything but u know why I think they get hired there ?

Because the employees that hired her are lonely.

And I think alot of the gamestop employees are dicks because they just wanna play games and goof off instead of work.

And im not buying that its ok for them to not know about something if ur not lazy and ur clueless to a game your suposed to be helpful and go over to the computer on your own ask the other employees on ur own without being asked to do so.

Anytime ive ask for something at eb they know how to do things without asking I wonder if its easier to work for gamestop than eb.

[quote name='Roufuss']

2) If they hire gamers, gamers that know alot of shit, it's harder for those gamers to actually DO THEIR JOB. Let's say you really had to push the shit out of a game you knew sucked. Most gamers wouldn't, Gamestop / EB gets less sales on that game, the company gets pissed because it paid for extra advertising, and everyone loses. Most "gamers" don't understand the difference between a job and a hobby, and need to check their personal preferences at the door. Some do, those people should be applauded.

[/QUOTE]

i hate having to push games like madden and americas army. but ill take gamestop over other retail jobs anyday.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Did I say I would expect them to know every single game they sell? Did I say these two situations were the exact same? No I did not.

Honestly, you just seem to have a problem with anyone with any kind of complaint against one of these companies, and you seem to just be really rude in general.

All I said was that I expected them to know their product. That simple, bottom line. I have bought games before like Bombastic which the employees have no freaking clue about and it not only doesnt bug me, but I have taken a moment for a few of them to tell them about the title when they are gamers...and as a result sold a few games to them which they have told me they were happy with. But I DO have a problem with a teenage girl working in the store who doesnt even freaking know what system Halo is on or launch dates for the major systems or their own damn warranty policies.

When you are working in a store specializing in a certain type of product you should actually know something about that product, gamestop and ebgames employees often dont.[/QUOTE]

Its not gonna happen, especially in America. How many 'true' gamers want to work at a videogame store and deal with children and the pressure of 'sell x amount of pre-orders or youre fired''? VERY few. Sure, it SEEMS like an awesome job, but its not.

Now tell me how many people in the fastfood industry SPEAK proper english? 2%? If anything we should be bitching about that. I hate trying to order a Whopper with no mayonaise and extra tomatos and somehow ending up with a taco...

[quote name='jfunkdpg']I work at a GS I'm amazed at how many customers we get who are just like the OP and act like they know everything. Why is it our fault we didn't know about a game our stores didn't even get?[/quote]
Although not ALL Gamestop employees are complete idiots, many of them exist. At both Gamestops in my area the employees are highschool kids.

But honestly if you have a real problem just demand the DM's number. They will either give you what you want or you'll get it through the DM.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']
But honestly if you have a real problem just demand the DM's number. They will either give you what you want or you'll get it through the DM.[/QUOTE]

According to Gamestop, at least the ones out here, they are no longer allowed to give out the DM's number, and you have to go through the proper channels and use the 1-800 # provided on Gamestop.com.

[quote name='Roufuss']According to Gamestop, at least the ones out here, they are no longer allowed to give out the DM's number, and you have to go through the proper channels and use the 1-800 # provided on Gamestop.com.[/quote]

They did that to me at Circuit City and I just kept getting Indian people who had very thick accents, I tried 3 times then gave up.

[quote name='gizmogc']
Now tell me how many people in the fastfood industry SPEAK proper english? 2%? If anything we should be bitching about that. I hate trying to order a Whopper with no mayonaise and extra tomatos and somehow ending up with a taco...[/quote]

I agree! This really drives me crazy! Especially when tacos aren't even on the menu.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']They did that to me at Circuit City and I just kept getting Indian people who had very thick accents, I tried 3 times then gave up.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this whole "let's have our customer support out of India where we can pay them $1 an hour" thing great?

You know what I bet the problem is here. People in California, Flordia and the other big areas are out of touch with how the rest of the world works. They think that everyone who works a crap job is an illegal or atleast doesnt speak English, and that no one could ever suffer through a minumn wage job.

The rest of us live in reality. We know and have experienced this stuff, not only in person, but we ourselves have had to work these jobs. Honestly look through these topics, the people upset with gamestop and other stores are all from smaller states, the people insulting other people and defending these corporations are from palces like California.

[quote name='MSI Magus']You know what I bet the problem is here. People in California, Flordia and the other big areas are out of touch with how the rest of the world works. They think that everyone who works a crap job is an illegal or atleast doesnt speak English, and that no one could ever suffer through a minumn wage job.

The rest of us live in reality. We know and have experienced this stuff, not only in person, but we ourselves have had to work these jobs. Honestly look through these topics, the people upset with gamestop and other stores are all from smaller states, the people insulting other people and defending these corporations are from palces like California.[/QUOTE]

Uhh, yeah, you just figured it out. California is out of touch. If we want reason and a un-narrow outlook and perception of the world we should look to the smaller states. Hmm, let's look to Kansas and other states where the population is more or less homogenous to tell us about how the "real world" works. 'Cause living in California and other large states is akin to living in a cocoon.

I think people need to realize that when they say stuff like "_____ suck" they're generalizing EVERY SINGLE employee... which is a fallacy.

YOUR local GameStop's employees might suck, and so might the in the nearby area but that doesn't mean they all suck.

We have two EBs here and one of them has the nicest employees ever while the other one has some morons. Would if be fair for me to say... EB employees suck? No, because that's only half true.

bread's done
Back