GAMESTOP: Fatal Frame 1, 2, &3 (ps2)

jimivegas

CAGiversary!
I dont know if this is a good deal or not but I just did a search on fatal frame for ps2 on gamestop and all 3 of them are 19.99 each. I heard good things about these games but what has been your guys' experience with them? I called gamestops around my area and managed to get all 3 copies complete with case and manual.
1:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?Product_ID=19803

2:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=27670

3:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=39626

[quote name='4tygames']Fatal Frame 2 was updated and released as a "Director's Cut" for the Xbox. It is the superior version of the game with better graphics and Dolby 5.1 Surround! It also features a 1st person view, which makes for better controls and insanely scary action. Also has a arcade-type survival mode.

If you want to play FF2, play it on the Xbox.

That said, I'm planning to pick up FF3 this weekend![/QUOTE]

Hmm...this seems to suggest it's not playable on the 360

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

I already own the first one but have been wanting to pick up 2 and 3 for a long time. Unfortunately, whilst several Game Stops near me in Brooklyn, NY have had copies, they were selling for $40 apiece until sometime last year.

A couple of months ago they went down to $30, but I still really couldn't justify the purchases.

Now they're down to $20, and apparently they're all gone within at least 100 miles of me.

Argh!!!

For those of you who have an Xbox, I would highly recommend picking up 1 and 2 on the Xbox rather than on the PS2. Not only are the graphics significantly sharper, but Tecmo packed a lot of extras into the Xbox releases (extra costumes, FPS in 2, and alternate/different endings).

3 unfortunately only came out on the PS2. I was lucky to nab a new one of these for practically nothing a long time ago. A good series.

[quote name='gargus']Tell you what then, next time I see someone post a question or whatnot and I dont want to do it or cant answer it, Ill just shut up and keep on moving, you can do the same and everyone will be happy.

And for the record, I thought it said 14.99, not 19.99.

And quite a few are that cool. Ive gotten several items on here from fellow cags that sold to me damn cheap, one fella even bought me something because the promo wasnt sold in my area and volunteered to for just item cost and shipping. So dont speak for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Read my post. I said "most" CAGs; I'm not trying to speak for everyone. Clearly, you lucked out w/ one of the nicest people here. And if you did make a mistake on the price (which I don't believe, but that's beside the point), that's also your fault and not ours. Instead of getting all hissy b/c of a little criticism, you might want to brush up on your reading comprehension.

[quote name='gargus']Tell you what then, next time I see someone post a question or whatnot and I dont want to do it or cant answer it, Ill just shut up and keep on moving, you can do the same and everyone will be happy.

And for the record, I thought it said 14.99, not 19.99.

And quite a few are that cool. Ive gotten several items on here from fellow cags that sold to me damn cheap, one fella even bought me something because the promo wasnt sold in my area and volunteered to for just item cost and shipping. So dont speak for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously, that's pretty crazy. I don't see why you need to get all angry over him asking for more money. It's great some CAGs here are that kind but I don't think it's reasonable to think most of us here are going to be that generous.

I mean, the economy sort of sucks right now :)

[quote name='thelonepig']FF2 controls are terribly mixed up. It's a mess of a game to play and certainly not worth the hype it's generated, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Then go into the options and change them.

started playing part 1. the best 20 bucks i spent on a used ps2 game. just saying...i feel like all the paranormal shows on tv now bit off this game. what are the odds? anyhow, loving it.

[quote name='jamezuva']Hmm...this seems to suggest it's not playable on the 360

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360[/QUOTE]

For anyone interested, I have and played through Fatal Frame 2 on my 360, and it works perfectly. It's also the best horror game I've ever played, certainly tons better than the first (which I also have for XBox, and also works on the 360).

I own FF3 as well (terribly difficult to find when was searching for it about a year ago), and, while it may not have the same level of story and gameplay quality as 2, it's quite excellent as well.

Now if only someone would bring the 4th over from Japan...:cry:

[quote name='mkelehan']Then go into the options and change them.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I tried to. There didn't appear to be an option that would allow me to switch the analog controls, which is what screwed the game up to begin with. In addition to the controls, and I think this has already been touched on, the seemingly arbitrary hit register when taking pictures killed the game.

It was fun. I wanted to enjoy it more, but it became a chore to play after a third of the way in.

Very tempting.... I didn't want to spend too much on the first two games a few years back, so ended up getting the XBOX versions. But I still want 3...

[quote name='Trastan']For anyone interested, I have and played through Fatal Frame 2 on my 360, and it works perfectly. It's also the best horror game I've ever played, certainly tons better than the first (which I also have for XBox, and also works on the 360).

I own FF3 as well (terribly difficult to find when was searching for it about a year ago), and, while it may not have the same level of story and gameplay quality as 2, it's quite excellent as well.

Now if only someone would bring the 4th over from Japan...:cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Nintendo won't publish the game, so I gave up on it ever been released here. The English patch is supposed to work pretty well, so I'm trying to get an import copy instead.

Picked up FF 3 at my local Gamestop to complete my series. Thought I would have to bite the bullet someday and pay more than twice what I paid today. Condition NM with the case and manual too! Thanks OP :applause: And Thank you CAG :applause::applause:

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']What? Both of them are playable according to that list... For NA and JP 360s, that is. :p The only one that has problems is the second one, apparently.[/QUOTE]

I never said the 1st one was unplayable...I quoted someone else in reference to the 2nd game

[quote name='GUNNM']I bought part 1 and it has a PRE-OWNED sticker on the cover art
shitty[/QUOTE]

Yup, I had that on part 2. Went to another store and upgarde it to a perfect copy. God I hate that shit. I even saw a Fatal Frame with a Gamestop sticker on the manual. SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?

[quote name='karkyco']Yup, I had that on part 2. Went to another store and upgarde it to a perfect copy. God I hate that shit. I even saw a Fatal Frame with a Gamestop sticker on the manual. SERIOUSLY, WTF?!?[/QUOTE]
didnt have much of a choice was the only gamestop in my town with part 1

[quote name='kndy']Very tempting.... I didn't want to spend too much on the first two games a few years back, so ended up getting the XBOX versions. But I still want 3...[/QUOTE]

Yeah -- oddly, the Xbox versions are cheaper and they also happen to be the far superior releases of the titles. May be a lot of gamers just don't know they're on the Xbox. MS didn't do much to make gamers aware of the games when Tecmo brought them over.

I love the Fatal Frame series -- and the Xbox versions are fantastic (not to mention all the extras).

Too bad 3 never made the jump.

[quote name='moommoombaba']it's a shame that they canceled 4 on wii, come on port it to xbox or ps3 or sth[/QUOTE]

Sine it's published by Nintendo, we'll never see it in any form.

I've never tried this series, but I was debating on trying to find one.

If I was to only choose one out of the three, which should I go with?

[quote name='moommoombaba']it's a shame that they canceled 4 on wii, come on port it to xbox or ps3 or sth[/QUOTE]

As someone already mentioned, import it and play it on your Wii using the translation patch this team created: http://zero4.higashinoeden.com/ - I just finished the game with the patch the other day and it was fantastic. (this was my first Fatal Frame) ;)

Tricky thing is, it's hard to find a copy now cause everyone scrambled to import it once the translation patch was released in mid-January. Play-Asia has been sold out for weeks, and it's possible the game is no longer in production.

bread's done
Back