Gamestop: Free Nintendogs Virtual Gift 10/28-10/30

Waste of trip to 4 different stores for me (ebgames, gamestop, media play, target), didnt find the demo at any stores, all had the older version demo stations with nintendogs and advance wars, media play didnt even have a DS kiosk at all.

one of the GS near me had this, but heres a funny story (at least to me) of what went down:
walk in with ds in bark mode, finds some one named xbox360, then attempt to connect with the ds with the gift (already in bark mode), it refuses to connect with my ds. The employee there then pulls out a used ds to see if it was my ds or not. When he starts it up with my copy of nintendogs in it, the counter goes up one, but oddly the dog i meet looks like mine (take into account i cant see the name, as the clerk has the ds). So i go home thinking it just didnt want to work. Turns out i somehow meet myself in bark mode, something i have to think isnt supposed to be possible. So no gift, just a strange tale for me

[quote name='Krunks']one of the GS near me had this, but heres a funny story (at least to me) of what went down:
walk in with ds in bark mode, finds some one named xbox360, then attempt to connect with the ds with the gift (already in bark mode), it refuses to connect with my ds. The employee there then pulls out a used ds to see if it was my ds or not. When he starts it up with my copy of nintendogs in it, the counter goes up one, but oddly the dog i meet looks like mine (take into account i cant see the name, as the clerk has the ds). So i go home thinking it just didnt want to work. Turns out i somehow meet myself in bark mode, something i have to think isnt supposed to be possible. So no gift, just a strange tale for me[/QUOTE]

That's like something out of the Twilight Zone. :lol: not sure why that happened...weird indeed

D'oh. My Gamestop's had a Chihuahua owned by someone named Joey. (Probably the manager as well.) No present, but there was a disturbing recorded message "...Joey is cool..." and I had it looping for a bit. I didn't have the Chihuahua breed unlocked yet, so it wasn't a wasted trip. What was weird though, was that the Nintendogs DS was turned off while the other was was on. Don't know why. So I just turned it on myself and it went straight into the distribution mode.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Stopped by a GS in Cerritos, CA and the guy had no clue on what i was talking about. There was 2 DS units but they were off.[/QUOTE]
You should have turned them on. Likely they would have been AW:DS and the first Nintendogs demo, but you still should have tried it. I didn't expect mine to have them at all, and they did. I think I'm heading somewhere near a GameStop, so I might go in and see what happens. If you can link with more than one of those kiosk demos and whatnot.

Oh, the voice message was really stupid. Something like "OMG my name is Haylie Duff and like I love playing Nintendogs and I hope you do too YATTA ^_^!!!" I don't remember. Is there a way to replay the message after linking?

If anyone wants to hear about the back story slightly of this, here it is.

GameStop basically didn't really communicate too well to Nintendo that they were going to be doing it this weekend. So my poor fiance and about 14 others today had to take over 400 calls from GameStops asking for the 'part' and generally troubleshooting so people could actually go into the store and download the glasses instead of the last dog owner's info. Course not all stores needed the troubleshooting part but ya know. ;p

I love miscommunications. :)

[quote name='Krunks']one of the GS near me had this, but heres a funny story (at least to me) of what went down:
walk in with ds in bark mode, finds some one named xbox360, then attempt to connect with the ds with the gift (already in bark mode), it refuses to connect with my ds. The employee there then pulls out a used ds to see if it was my ds or not. When he starts it up with my copy of nintendogs in it, the counter goes up one, but oddly the dog i meet looks like mine (take into account i cant see the name, as the clerk has the ds). So i go home thinking it just didnt want to work. Turns out i somehow meet myself in bark mode, something i have to think isnt supposed to be possible. So no gift, just a strange tale for me[/QUOTE]

I had something like this happen to my girlfriend and I. Theres a counter on the new version of the demo and it said we were the first to try and use it. I tried first and I got Haylie Duff's message and the sparkling glasses. Then when my girlfriend tried, she got my dog and my message. So I tried going back into it again and this time I got my girlfriends. It was replacing Haylie Duff's dog with whoever the last dog to use the system was. We showed the manager of the store, but I don't think he had any idea what we were talking about. He went into some story about how his dog bit someone and had to go to the pound.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']For anyone encountering a DS in Bark mode, hold down A, B, X, Y, L at once to switch it to Broadcast mode. You may have to reboot.[/QUOTE]

Whaddya know, it worked! Rep points for you! :)

Yeah, I was just joking. :)

Hopefully someone didn't actually try it (but I think you have to press that at the DS menu screen in order to delete everything)

You have to restart the demo to get haylie's dog

If you restart/reset like a normal nintendogs game, you will get haylie's dog. You have to restart the demo or else you will get the last person's dog, i am not sure if its restart or just simply reset, or if they mean the same thing! I dont know why this is either, but you can get an extra dog on your friends list if you walk up to the demo, use it, restart/reset, then get haylie's dog.

I am sure that after halloween this will still be availible, what you do is set the actual DS's date to october 30 2005, then you should still be able to get the download, you might even be able to get it without setting the date again.

This is useful for the people like me who wasnt able to find the proper demo station yet to get the download from.

I have a idea, so the staff at gamestop know nothing about this right?

I am thinking that the demo is set to use haylie's dog when the ds is set to halloween weeked,

EX. in may you can change the demo ds's date/time to halloween and you can get the gift, Just a idea.

[quote name='trunks982']doesnt that reset the game which deletes ur save?[/QUOTE]

Reseting the game requires you to hold A, B, X, Y, L, R, Select and Start while powering up the unit.

My previous instructions will allow you to get the special item and message, regardless of what day it is.

Ok, 2 more stores and no new demo stations, all had advance wars and the old nintendogs demo in them!

So thats 6 stores for me looking for this download, and i didnt even get it (of course those were 6 stores i would have wanted to shop at no matter what!)

We hit some trainer named "Ross" in the parking lot which unlocked the golden retriever for us. When we actually went into Gamestop, we got nothing. They said they were having trouble with it though.

So we pulled up to an EB and got Duff in the parking lot there.

I got my Haylie Duff message and sunglasses without any problem when I went on Friday. Then I powered off and put my wife's Nintendogs game in and tried connecting with that, but it wouldn't connect. I tried my own game again and it wouldn't connect. My conclusion then was that you can only connect once per DS unit.

Anyway, as far as how long the message thing will run, the email I got from Nintendo said 10/28 - 10/31 IIRC.

I checked my Gamestop and they told me one of them got the email too, but they had no demo to use for the giveaway and said they were pretty certain none of the ones within an hour drive had received anything. Very poorly handled IMHO.

My local Gamestop had it. The friends counter on the display unit said two before I connected (using my wife's pink DS), so I would think that more than one person can get it from each display. I stopped at EB and they had it too. I was the first person to do it at that store.

Anybody who's having trouble at Gamestops, check EB Games. Like I said above, that's where I got my "virtual gift." I didn't even have to leave the car and the DS display is at the far end of the store.

[quote name='SaraAB']Im the one who went to 6 different stores and didnt get anything!!! This was VERY poorly handled![/QUOTE]

I would've called ahead after the first or second incident.

They were all in the same neighborhood, im talking like 2 min from each other, easier to drive then to navigate phone systems until you get some employee, whom will not even know what you are talking about.

Except for the last 2 stores, those were in a different area, but i wanted to go to KB toys to snag some stuff from the sale, so it was not a wasted trip, and just stopped at 2 extra stores along the way.

[quote name='ryanbph']3 gamestops and nothing...poorly handled by nintendo and gamestop[/QUOTE]

Go back and read my post before you jump to conclusions.

Nintendo was NOT at fault here. GameStop POORLY communicated the dates on this.

Even George Harrison I hear is going to be putting a word or two in to GameStop about this. ~_~

Ill see what i can do about sending a complaint about this, problem is i have so many complaints to send to places that i dont think ill get around to all of them!

I took my wife with her DS to Gamestop today (10/31), and there's a poster advertising the free thingy from 10/28 - 10/30. We went inside and the lady said the promo's still going on and goes to make sure their DS is set up properly. My wife connects, but gets someone called "Daniel" and his black lab and his white record says 'I'm going to kick your ass haha haha" over and over. x_x. Well, I turn the demo off and power it on again and hold down all the buttons. Then I delete all the saved info from the cart. Took a few moments, but after that everything worked fine. Thanks Haylie!

[quote name='Requiem']THE George Harrison?? *gulp*[/QUOTE]

;p

I commented on it because it's pretty rare to see the PR guys jump on something like this.

[quote name='SaraAB']Thankfully i have EB games and Gamestop both within 5 min of each other where i live! I wonder what other gifts are availible through other kiosks![/QUOTE]

I can see it in the new now....

Suspicious looking driver found parking near gaming stores discovered to be downloading content on his nintendo DS from the nintendog displays in the store.

:lol:

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Reseting the game requires you to hold A, B, X, Y, L, R, Select and Start while powering up the unit.

My previous instructions will allow you to get the special item and message, regardless of what day it is.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is A,B,X,Y, L, and R to reset the game. No need to press select and start.

Plus it actually warns you that your about to delete the data, so no need to be concerned about an unexpected surprise.

[quote name='banpeikun']I took my wife with her DS to Gamestop today (10/31), and there's a poster advertising the free thingy from 10/28 - 10/30. We went inside and the lady said the promo's still going on and goes to make sure their DS is set up properly. My wife connects, but gets someone called "Daniel" and his black lab and his white record says 'I'm going to kick your ass haha haha" over and over. x_x. Well, I turn the demo off and power it on again and hold down all the buttons. Then I delete all the saved info from the cart. Took a few moments, but after that everything worked fine. Thanks Haylie![/QUOTE]

Is this for real?

Wow, this Daniel is a REAL loser.

I am a girl...

I know that it would not be worth my time to drive around to all the game stores in the area with the DS turned to bark mode, in this area NO one knows about these promotions (except myself it seems) and absolutly NO one plays their DS out in public, no one plays any handheld out in public actually, so its not like this area is horribly biased toward one particular system.

If people would just play the DS/GBA or whatever outside then maybe, just maybe i might be able to actually USE features of the DS.

Oh well it looks like all this will come to rest when the DS goes online, and i should be able to find someone at the local mcdonalds, provided a mcdonalds near me has nintendo wifi installed.

Alternatively, if any of you live in the Seattle area, you could always go to NOA since they have the demo (with the message) in the walk-in area. ;)

That kind of sucks how they took out the Haylie Duff thing and it only lasted for three days. They should leave it in Gamestop stores at least for 2-3 weeks

I still cant find a Gamestop around me! :(

bread's done
Back