Gamestop Labor Day Yellow Tag Blowout

jt2k3

CAGiversary!
(Im back from the dead)

Gamestop will be having a yellow tag labor day videogame blowout. Thursday night each store's label printer will print up new stickers for 500 games to be retagged for Friday morning, and the beginning of the labor day game blowout sale.

The list of games will not be known until coorporate sends the stickers through thursday night, but get to your local GS this weekend for some hella deals :D

I almost never go by Gamestop anymore since I moved last year. Unfortunately, I probably won't have much choice but to shop at Gamestop after the chain finishes swallowing EB Games whole in the next few months. :cry:

Nephilim, are you seriously telling me that if I type u instead of you, you would be unable to comprehend the meaning of his sentence? It's not like people speak correctly anyways, much less type in shorthand. (ie I hafta go to the mall, I can't go till five, etc.) The whole point of an informal post on a message board is to get your idea across in as little time as possible. Now, I usually don't use shorthand but I don't denigrate others for using it unless it becomes utterly incomprehensible. Don't sweat the small things.

PS If you seriously cannot understand a sentence because u is used instead of you, you have serious reading problems and this message board is not your solution.

[quote name='badtzm']i went to a ocuple of gamerushes in dallas and they have no idea about that sale =([/QUOTE]
That makes perfect sense, this is is going on at GameSTOP not GameRUSH.

Check the OP.

[quote name='shrike4242']That makes perfect sense, this is is going on at GameSTOP not GameRUSH.

Check the OP.[/QUOTE]

haha
that is funny..........

[quote name='greenbags125']Nephilim, are you seriously telling me that if I type u instead of you, you would be unable to comprehend the meaning of his sentence? It's not like people speak correctly anyways, much less type in shorthand. (ie I hafta go to the mall, I can't go till five, etc.) The whole point of an informal post on a message board is to get your idea across in as little time as possible. Now, I usually don't use shorthand but I don't denigrate others for using it unless it becomes utterly incomprehensible. Don't sweat the small things.

PS If you seriously cannot understand a sentence because u is used instead of you, you have serious reading problems and this message board is not your solution.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I hate the shorthand also. I perceive it (whether true or not) as laziness. It also takes me a lot longer to read through all the U's, 2's, B's, etc because my brain just isn't wired for shorthand. It's like listening to someone speaking English but throwing in French and Spanish from time to time.

You mentioned that most people don't "speak properly" either. However, bad English is different from using a different form altogether. A good analogy would be talking to someone and having them say "I'm going to g h a t a n (go home and take a nap)." You'd be like "Dude, I know it's a tiny bit slower, but just say you're going home to take a nap so I don't have to stop and decode all that."

Also, the shorthand just comes across as childish. I have no logical reason, I just picture a 12-year-old with his peanut butter sandwich next to the keyboard every time I read the shorthand. It's like hearing someone say "Me go to store today!" You'd be like "what are you, a toddler?"

I don't really want to join the flame wars, but I did want to give an even-tempered reasoning as to why some of "us" don't like the shorthand.

[quote name='chosen1s']For what it's worth, I hate the shorthand also. I perceive it (whether true or not) as laziness. It also takes me a lot longer to read through all the U's, 2's, B's, etc because my brain just isn't wired for shorthand. It's like listening to someone speaking English but throwing in French and Spanish from time to time.

You mentioned that most people don't "speak properly" either. However, bad English is different from using a different form altogether. A good analogy would be talking to someone and having them say "I'm going to g h a t a n (go home and take a nap)." You'd be like "Dude, I know it's a tiny bit slower, but just say you're going home to take a nap so I don't have to stop and decode all that."

Also, the shorthand just comes across as childish. I have no logical reason, I just picture a 12-year-old with his peanut butter sandwich next to the keyboard every time I read the shorthand. It's like hearing someone say "Me go to store today!" You'd be like "what are you, a toddler?"

I don't really want to join the flame wars, but I did want to give an even-tempered reasoning as to why some of "us" don't like the shorthand.[/QUOTE]

I totally understand. My main point is that sometimes on aim, since you have to type something fast before the other person loses interest, using shorthand that everyone knows is not wrong or incorrect. Im not talking about img2des (Im going to the store) but simple ones like wtf (what the f---), b4 (before), u (you), etc. I just can't stand people complaining about others who use shorthand when its perfectly understandable when they do use it.

[quote name='greenbags125']I totally understand. My main point is that sometimes on aim, since you have to type something fast before the other person loses interest, using shorthand that everyone knows is not wrong or incorrect. Im not talking about img2des (Im going to the store) but simple ones like wtf (what the f---), b4 (before), u (you), etc. I just can't stand people complaining about others who use shorthand when its perfectly understandable when they do use it.[/QUOTE]

My fear about such a writing style is that people who become used to it, rather than writing out fully, will suffer when they get older. Don't believe me? Take my cousin for example. He types in short hand and I personally can't stand it but that's my opinion.

When he's writing papers, however, he has difficulties writing things in full - he naturally defaults to shorthand because that's what he's accustomed to. Can he change such behavior in the future? Of course - if he really wants to. Is it easier to not start in the first place - I believe so.

BTW, we've gotten supremely way OT.

[quote name='Ecofreak']My fear about such a writing style is that people who become used to it, rather than writing out fully, will suffer when they get older. Don't believe me? Take my cousin for example. He types in short hand and I personally can't stand it but that's my opinion.

When he's writing papers, however, he has difficulties writing things in full - he naturally defaults to shorthand because that's what he's accustomed to. Can he change such behavior in the future? Of course - if he really wants to. Is it easier to not start in the first place - I believe so.

BTW, we've gotten supremely way OT.[/QUOTE]

I type pretty fast and accurate so I never really grew accustomed to shorthand. However, most of my friends on aim use shorthand and I really don't mind. For some its a habit. However, they sometimes forget to write in full for reports or essays, and their grades take a sharp dive. I guess it usually depends on the speed at which you type. Slower typers use shorthand, fast typers don't.

[quote name='greenbags125']I type pretty fast and accurate so I never really grew accustomed to shorthand. However, most of my friends on aim use shorthand and I really don't mind. For some its a habit. However, they sometimes forget to write in full for reports or essays, and their grades take a sharp dive. I guess it usually depends on the speed at which you type. Slower typers use shorthand, fast typers don't.[/QUOTE]

I also don't believe that's necessarily true, as I believe I can type quite fast even though I don't use shorthand.

I'm curious how much time you save by typing short hand, and is it worth it when compared to the time spent revising sentences because they were not done properly in the first place. My guess - the cons far outweigh the pros, and just isn't worth it IMHO.

[quote name='Ecofreak']BTW, we've gotten supremely way OT.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Let's get back OT, or I can easily slam this one shut and someone can make a new one. Up to all of you.

I find this type of shorthand a little annoying sometimes because of the fact that some of the things I just don't understand. Then I feel like an idiot because I'm not "hip" to the lingo. What does "AIm" mean by the way?
But to berate someone because they prefer to use this type of lingo is just immature, and is probably an expression of the individuals own insecurities and their need to insult someone in order to make themselves feel superior.

Lets get back to the topic.

Most of the internet language i cannot understand because there is so much its impossible to keep up with all of it, also people are constantly inventing new words so who knows. Also it makes me feel like i am getting old because i am not "hip" to every internet word and phrase out there, lol.

[quote name='rebenns']Does anyone at least know if these sale games will be for new, used, or both?[/QUOTE]

We are no sure as of yet all we know for sure is that games are going down via yellow tags and it is starting friday.

Okay, this may not be as big as I planned. Whoever posted was correct earlier and I apologize.. after reading the Package for the info on the sale, its supposedly suppose to be a few weeks worth of price changes that gamestop had held back and there doing it all at once and making them in yellow tags to make them look like "OMG NEW SALE" type look to drive in business and kill off inventory thats slow moving.

thats kinda lame, oh well still check in, I had a store manager ask me for some USED GBA SP's today to transfer for this sale, but I dont know if that speicfically will be on it tommorow, it includes games, accessories, dvd movies i believe.

[quote name='greenbags125']Nephilim, are you seriously telling me that if I type u instead of you, you would be unable to comprehend the meaning of his sentence? It's not like people speak correctly anyways, much less type in shorthand. (ie I hafta go to the mall, I can't go till five, etc.) The whole point of an informal post on a message board is to get your idea across in as little time as possible. Now, I usually don't use shorthand but I don't denigrate others for using it unless it becomes utterly incomprehensible. Don't sweat the small things.

PS If you seriously cannot understand a sentence because u is used instead of you, you have serious reading problems and this message board is not your solution.[/QUOTE]

A few abbreviations are fine, but Green and White's posts did not have just a few. He was also rude. I don't think I am the only one here found his posts hard to read and pointless. Cheapy must have banned him for a reason as he has a new user ID now. He made a post a page back with his new ID and no Chat Room gibberish. I appluaded him and welcomed him to the fourms. Hopefully we will gain a valueable member.

I do feel that the Forum community is just that, a community. If someone moves into the neighborhood and acts like a jerk and annoys everyone, they are going to get some static. This static will hopefully make them conform to the community or leave.

I rest my case, goodwill to all, and let's get back to some cheap videogame deals.

[quote name='PezRadar']Okay, this may not be as big as I planned. Whoever posted was correct earlier and I apologize.. after reading the Package for the info on the sale, its supposedly suppose to be a few weeks worth of price changes that gamestop had held back and there doing it all at once and making them in yellow tags to make them look like "OMG NEW SALE" type look to drive in business and kill off inventory thats slow moving.

thats kinda lame, oh well still check in, I had a store manager ask me for some USED GBA SP's today to transfer for this sale, but I dont know if that speicfically will be on it tommorow, it includes games, accessories, dvd movies i believe.[/QUOTE]

Ruh-Roh, this may have been over-hyped after all. :whistle2:(

[quote name='PezRadar']Okay, this may not be as big as I planned. Whoever posted was correct earlier and I apologize.. after reading the Package for the info on the sale, its supposedly suppose to be a few weeks worth of price changes that gamestop had held back and there doing it all at once and making them in yellow tags to make them look like "OMG NEW SALE" type look to drive in business and kill off inventory thats slow moving.

thats kinda lame, oh well still check in, I had a store manager ask me for some USED GBA SP's today to transfer for this sale, but I dont know if that speicfically will be on it tommorow, it includes games, accessories, dvd movies i believe.[/QUOTE]

I told you i work there and thats what we got from corporate. Im glad i didnt have to work today and change all the prices on the games and give them new stickers since there is like 200+ price changes on stuff.

I go to work at 1 tomorrow, so I'll swing by Gamestop before work. I'm not one to bash game stores ;) but I seriously doubt I will see any signs of a sale.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']Wait, they have sales now? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yea...to us they are universal price drops ;)

[quote name='Kain Vincent']Wait, they have sales now? ;)[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I feel ashamed to have been an employee of them for a year and a half (left in June bitch!!!). At least EB HAS sales, and usually they're good. They'll probably disappear when the merger is finalized, however.

[quote name='rooter']Gamestop OWNS EB when it comes to used merchandise. For one, I find better stock of used games at Gamestop's and two Gamestop has stickers that actually are easy to take off, when I buy used games at EB the cases are usually RAPED with impossible to cleanly remove stickers.[/QUOTE]

apparently youve never heard of goo gone. by this stuff its like 2 bucks at target and will take out any sticker and goop left behind.

[quote name='InuFaye']I told you i work there and thats what we got from corporate. Im glad i didnt have to work today and change all the prices on the games and give them new stickers since there is like 200+ price changes on stuff.[/QUOTE]

Uh price changes occur friday morning.. I work there too :roll:

awesome selection at the GS i went to yesterday. BoF IV, 2x BoF III, Super Puzzle Fighter, original FF VII, longbox Resident Evil, both Bust a Move and Bust a Move 2 ( or groove, whichever is the expensive danc game), and Thousand Arms.

thing is, i picked up this mint condition complete non-GH Twisted Metal 2 for $2.99. i bring it up, pay and everything, and when i'm leaving i check it out, and it's a GH version without a manual. i told the guy i wanted the other copy, he's like, "it's a display copy", and i said, "then i want to return it." so he pulls out the manual and hands it to me, and i didn't feel like talking to the guy any more, even though i still have a GH copy. dealing with an asshole for less than $3 isn't worth it.

Ok, i stopped at gamestop on my way home from kmart, didnt buy anything at GS, i saw metroid prime 1 for 4.99 not sure if it was new or used, other than that just a bunch of crapola games, they had beyblade for like 11.99 which is actually not a bad game. They had your standard football games for 3.99 and 2.99 but the only price that really jumped out at me was the 4.99 for metroid prime, and that auto modilista game was 12.99 or something like that. There really was hardly anything with yellow stickers in the GC section.

They had a few DS games for 19.99, mostly the EA sports ones though. There was a used copy of puyo pop fever ds for 24.99, but thats regular price not discounted, just mentioning it cause its a hard game to find.

There was no n64 stuff marked down, and i didnt look at the ps1 section cause its all disc only in envelopes and i dont want disc only games.

I went to my GS this morning, and the only yellow tags I saw reflected the current price of the games. I asked the manager if they were having a sale, and he said, "Not that I know of."

Waste of time at my Gamestop. Hopefully YMMV.

They were still in the middle of putting stickers on the games as I was browing each section. Nothing really jumped out at me as a stellar deal though accept for MP for $5 as mentioned above. They were marking down just a lot of sports and mediocre games $5 or $10 here, but since GS usually has relatively high used game prices, the overall small decreases really just didn't translate to much to me as anything worth getting excited about.

Did pick up a mint copy of Rhapsody for $40 though. That was the highlight of my GS trip. K-Mart is definitely have a much better Labor Day sale. I'd recommend going there first to see what you can find.

Don't expect a lot of great rpgs or other stellar games being marked down relatively low. This sale just seems more of an attempt to liquidate stock of old sports and relatively average games. It wouldn't hurt to go look as I'm sure each GameStop may have a different selection. Just at least at my local one, nothing really seemed as a really "good" deal.

Ok, just got back. I can only report on GBA and Gamecube as that is all I checked.

NHL 2005 $19.99
2 other EA sprts games $19.99

A few universal price drops on crappy stuff.

GBA

One game went from $35 to $29.99.

A bunch of Spongebob videos and Yu Yu stuff went down

They were still putting prices up, but said that they were done with GBA and Gamecube, but who knows.
Wow, that was fun.

[quote name='Engineer_J']I have seen it happen twice, it is gradually, not the day before up and down the day after and not on 44.99 games, but like GTA 3 PS2, Splinter Cell X-Box and a few others were 4.99 for a long time, then they all started to go up to 6.99, a few weeks later B2G1 free sale and now they are all back to 4.99, I fully believe they do that because they know a sale is coming[/QUOTE]YUP. I work there now and that is pretty much exactly what happens.

[quote name='geotech']All this for some used games? ugh...[/QUOTE]

What did you expect from a GameStop "Sale?"

At least with EB we get some decent price reductions...instant or after rebate.

From what I saw most of the yellow tagged games still had their old tags up and the prices were identical on 95% of the games... fucking bs sale.

bread's done
Back