Gamestop new price drops - Enslaved PS3/360 - $19.99

[quote name='nietzsche74']"We're sorry,

We tried to track down the PickUp@Store item you requested at the store you selected (and nearby stores if you chose that option) but did not succeed
."

Of course there it was, just sitting on the shelf, over an hour later.:wall:[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's the same response I've gotten every time I've tried to use the "PickUp@Store" service. I didn't go to the store afterward any of those times, though, so I don't know if they actually had them or not. If they did -- fuck 'em, if they don't want my money enough to pull the game off of the shelf and hold it for me, I'll just go elsewhere.

As for K-Mart . . . Eh, maybe I'll give it a try if I have time to get there on Sunday, but I'm placing my bets that I'll be disappointed just like I have every other time I've tried to take advantage of a K-Mart deal.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You're not imagining things. I too had a $10 off code from pre-ordering Red Dead Redemption and they changed the expiration date on that from 4/28/2013 to 12/31/10.

I tried right around New Year's to find something to order to kill off the code before it expired(three years earlier than it was supposed to:bomb:), but that effort was for naught.

So when that one $10 off code was working for multiple people about a month ago I used that to get $10 off a new/sealed copy of Red Dead Redemption for myself to make up for them shafting me on the $10 code they gave me and took away.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Ugh, so they aren't honoring those $10 coupons? I thought I read awhile back that if you called up CS they're fix it for you or something. Would love to get this game for $10.

I just finished playing the demo and have mixed feelings about it. Debating whether or not to buy it since it's still a really cheap price and the lowest it will be for a while probably. >.

[quote name='jughead']I guess I'm obligated to ask... Ps3 or 360?[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-enslaved-faceoff

None of the disadvantages of either version are real game-breakers and overall either version is recommended, but if you own both consoles and have the choice of which version to buy, the Xbox 360 release is the one to get: a generally higher level of performance must surely take precedence over the occasional streaming problem.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Namco-Bandai America: "Building Enslaved from the ground up will be worth SO much more than spending less money on localizing some Tales of games!"

*Four months later, Enslaved is selling for less than Tales of Vesperia, which came out two years earlier.*[/QUOTE]

I feel sorry for Namco, they make really good games, but they don't EVER promote them...

gotta say i was not interested at all on this game, my uncle bought it, he is a HUGE fan of Andy Serkis, so after he finished the game i was like what the heck im gonna give it a try, boy was i surprised, i had no idea the unreal 3 engine could create this graphics, there are moments the game just leaves you impressed, beautiful colors, great art, but whats a game without good gameplay? well for me the gameplay was awesome, fighting with that stick felt incredible fun, i might get some flame for this but this game facial animation is above and beyond any game, YES! even better than uncharted 2, you care for the characters and your always waiting for the next cutscene, i ended up buying the game, it was a very nice surprise and im glad i didn't pass on this, i wonder how many good games have i let pass :(

[quote name='dino88']Kmart carries an exclusive edition that comes with a comic book. It has a different barcode and if I remember correctly Amazon wasn't accepting this edition. I could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

How the hell did K-mart manage to get an exclusive for anything?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You're not imagining things. I too had a $10 off code from pre-ordering Red Dead Redemption and they changed the expiration date on that from 4/28/2013 to 12/31/10.

I tried right around New Year's to find something to order to kill off the code before it expired(three years earlier than it was supposed to:bomb:), but that effort was for naught.

So when that one $10 off code was working for multiple people about a month ago I used that to get $10 off a new/sealed copy of Red Dead Redemption for myself to make up for them shafting me on the $10 code they gave me and took away.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Well, they honored mine after the expiration date. You just have to place an order and email customer service and have them manually add the coupon or refund you 10 dollars.

[quote name='Jav0r']Well, they honored mine after the expiration date. You just have to place an order and email customer service and have them manually add the coupon or refund you 10 dollars.[/QUOTE]
But the thing is, you shouldn't have ever HAD to call. They should have just honored the coupons and left them active w/o shafting people who bought stuff from them to get those coupons in the first place.:bomb:

[quote name='Uracat']I'm trying to figure out what Enslaved and Jak & Daxter have in common other than that they are both video games. Jak & Daxter being one of my favorite games ever and Enslaved being one of my least favorite games of 2010.

If you don't play many games, then it's easy to lump them into the same categories without really thinking about it. It's like how I would probably not be able to tell the differences between a $100 bottle of wine and a super cheap value bottle. It stems from lack of experience. :)[/QUOTE]

It's been a long time since I played Jak but a few of things that reminded me of it were collecting orbs, riding the hover board and even Monkey's hair is sorta the same style.

[quote name='arcane93']For what it's worth:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-enslaved-faceoff[/QUOTE]

Well, with respect to your own likely neutrality, Eurogamer is a known 360 fanboy site, with statistical/aggregate review data to back that up. I wouldn't trust them nor Edge to ever tell me which version to buy. You very well could be right (as could Eurolamer) but that site's staff would take a collective dump on Ken Kutaragi's face if they had the chance.

I'm going to take the hail mary chance that my only local K-Mart might have Enslaved in stock (the place is a retail wasteland with little stock and nobody running things for questions), and if not, I'm grabbing it from Gamestop since I have credit after a few trades. I've had my eye on Enslaved for a bit.

[quote name='BWS1982']Well, with respect to your own likely neutrality, Eurogamer is a known 360 fanboy site, with statistical/aggregate review data to back that up. I wouldn't trust them nor Edge to ever tell me which version to buy. You very well could be right (as could Eurolamer) but that site's staff would take a collective dump on Ken Kutaragi's face if they had the chance.[/QUOTE]

Another comparison: http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head/verdicttie/head2head-enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west-analysis/

Their result was a tie as well. Personally, I'm getting the :360: version, though I am somewhat of a :ps3: fanboy.

I believe there is a demo on both Xbox LIVE and the PSN.

[quote name='takotchi']Another comparison: http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head/verdicttie/head2head-enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west-analysis/

Their result was a tie as well. Personally, I'm getting the :360: version, though I am somewhat of a :ps3: fanboy.

I believe there is a demo on both Xbox LIVE and the PSN.[/QUOTE]

Although the result of the review was a tie, all 3 staff members chose the 360 due to less screen tearing as opposed to the PS3 which has shorter load times. I'll be getting the 360 version.

God damn it! my ps3 version keeps glitching at the end I can't finish the chapter where you fuel up the sub. LAME I'm done with it. Was a fun game tho

[quote name='Toss']God damn it! my ps3 version keeps glitching at the end I can't finish the chapter where you fuel up the sub. LAME I'm done with it. Was a fun game tho[/QUOTE]

Knew PS3 version had some framerate issues, but never heard about this. The 360 version is considered the "superior" version, but really, it doesn't matter.

As for this game, I liked it a lot. I thought perhaps the story didn't wrap everything up like I wanted it to, and I'm not ready to say the story was as great as some others here have posted. I was much more drawn to the characters and their emotional struggles. Monkey and Trip are very likable throughout (couldn't stand the Pig-dude, though).

Got it for $25 over the holidays and glad I picked it up. Hopefully, more people give this one a shot.

On a sidenote, I hope Vanquish drops to $20 soon :)

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']Although the result of the review was a tie, all 3 staff members chose the 360 due to less screen tearing as opposed to the PS3 which has shorter load times. I'll be getting the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm getting the 360 version. Hopefully the loading is less of a problem if installed to the hard drive.

Of course the PS3 version isn't in stock or available online.

EDIT: Does Walmart price match? I've never done a price match before because there are few stores around here that sell games, but my GS is out of Enslaved for the PS3 and I'd like to pick it up at Walmart if possible...

[quote name='SynGamer']Of course the PS3 version isn't in stock or available online.

EDIT: Does Walmart price match? I've never done a price match before because there are few stores around here that sell games, but my GS is out of Enslaved for the PS3 and I'd like to pick it up at Walmart if possible...[/QUOTE]

WM will PM if you bring in a hardcopy of a salesflyer (not a printout--success rate depends on how lazy and incompetent your cashier is), AND the store has to be direct competition, as in, within 10-15 mi. radius.

(

This was a good game but the framerate issues got me annoyed after a bit. Otherwise it was an ok title, but definitely not worth full MSRP.

And the ending.....:puke:! Let's just leave it at that.:roll:

Man, I was hoping to see Splatterhouse drop to $19.99 also. I guess we will have to wait another month or so before that happens.

I was going to get this on the PS3 because I own Heavenly Sword on PS3.... but I think I am leaning towards the 360 version now...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This was a good game but the framerate issues got me annoyed after a bit. Otherwise it was an ok title, but definitely not worth full MSRP.

And the ending.....:puke:! Let's just leave it at that.:roll:[/QUOTE]

You know, I was no fan of the ending, but I've seen a whole lot worse. The ending for Enslaved isn't terrible. It just feels like there should be an Epilogue to Monkey and Trip's story (which there isn't). You cannot help but feel Ninja Theory just ran out of money towards the end, or just couldn't figure out how exactly to conclude it.

That said, you do get most of the answers you need. On a scale of 1 to 10, the ending is a 6-7. Personally, I thought HS' ending was better.

As for the loading issues on the 360 (I have the 360 one), I can say I didn't see all that much. I have an arcade so never installed and it ran just fine. There's loading in between but nothing close to the epic load screens of Mass Effect 2. Yowza.

[quote name='jjknap']I just looked at the Kmart ad, and Enslaved is not mentioned....is this going to be an instore sale?[/QUOTE]

The kmart rep said it himself. I think it was just recently approved so they may not have had time to get it in the ad when it was printed (usually they're printed a week or two in advance)

But then you could just pay the lolstop $5 premium for their excellent customer service. They even go out of their way to open it up and check that the disc is inside and works and play through the game at home before selling it to you as new! AWERSSOME

"New" at gamestop only means nobody has paid money for it yet.

For those still on the fence about getting this, if you wait and buy it from Kmart for $15 this coming week, then you can beat it and trade it into SecondSpin.com for between $12.75:ps3: and $13.25:360:, thus making this a super cheap rental.

Albeit I did this months ago when their TIV was $25 and I paid $25 for it from Amazon.

I just wonder if these are going to be like the 'price drops' we saw from GS for Kane & Lynch 2 and Front Mission Evolved, where the new prices went back up to MSRP($39.99 and $59.99 respectively) after a month.:roll:

[quote name='BWS1982']Well, with respect to your own likely neutrality, Eurogamer is a known 360 fanboy site, with statistical/aggregate review data to back that up. I wouldn't trust them nor Edge to ever tell me which version to buy. You very well could be right (as could Eurolamer) but that site's staff would take a collective dump on Ken Kutaragi's face if they had the chance.[/QUOTE]

First of all, I didn't state an opinion myself (would be pretty useless for me to do so, as I haven't played either version yet), I merely quoted the closing summary for the tl;dr crowd. So I'm not "right" or "wrong", I'm only linking to an article which may or may not be helpful in making a decision.

Secondly, given that they essentially called it a tie, I don't really get what you're complaining about. I'm aware of Eurogamer's overall bias, but in this particular case it seemed like they offered a pretty balanced assessment in which they spoke to the advantages and problems of both versions. Ultimately, it seemed like they were saying that both versions are ok, and that there aren't any absolutely game-breaking issues in either, which is the most useful thing that I took from the article.

Anyway, I offered it up for information; take it or leave it as you will.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Somehow this turned into the Enslaved thread, so I'll ask again - any opinions on Dungeon Raiders? It had zero reviews on MC.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I think this thread is the first I've even actually heard of it. And, as you note, there are no reviews on Metacritic (or anywhere else that I can find, for that matter). I'm thinking that likely says enough in and of itself.

Here's a review of the iPhone version. Looks pretty awful:

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/dungeon-raiders-review

For what it's worth, it looks like the iPhone version was pulled from the App Store at some point, though I haven't been able to find a reason why (it's just not available anymore).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']First of all, I didn't state an opinion myself (would be pretty useless for me to do so, as I haven't played either version yet), I merely quoted the closing summary for the tl;dr crowd. So I'm not "right" or "wrong", I'm only linking to an article which may or may not be helpful in making a decision.

Secondly, given that they essentially called it a tie, I don't really get what you're complaining about. I'm aware of Eurogamer's overall bias, but in this particular case it seemed like they offered a pretty balanced assessment in which they spoke to the advantages and problems of both versions. Ultimately, it seemed like they were saying that both versions are ok, and that there aren't any absolutely game-breaking issues in either, which is the most useful thing that I took from the article.

Anyway, I offered it up for information; take it or leave it as you will.
[/QUOTE]

And I thank you for the service, I was simply adding in a precaution/disclaimer through an overall lens. I realize it was an informative post not a subjective one (by yourself). My point simply centered on the fact that in a case where Eurogamer states a "tie" (maybe or maybe not in this case, sounds like not), it could really be a PS3-superior game labeled as "about equal"...This is based on the historical fact that if it was the other way around and the 360 barely had a slight edge, Eurogamer would pummel the PS3 version into the ground, not promote "approximate parity"...There's slant in everything they type, they're the Bloodmask's of journalism (for N4G members). In the case of Enslaved, perhaps that's all moot, but it's happened before.

[quote name='jer7583']The kmart rep said it himself. I think it was just recently approved so they may not have had time to get it in the ad when it was printed (usually they're printed a week or two in advance)

But then you could just pay the lolstop $5 premium for their excellent customer service. They even go out of their way to open it up and check that the disc is inside and works and play through the game at home before selling it to you as new! AWERSSOME

"New" at gamestop only means nobody has paid money for it yet.[/QUOTE]

yeah, gutted copies suck... however my friend's brother works at gamestop in southern california and he said that they aren't allowed to rent new/sealed games anymore and thus can only take home used/open ones to "try out". might be ymmv but atleast his gamestop is doin something right.

PS3 edition ruined the game for me. Framerate worse than a powerpoint presentation, sound effects cutting out entirely until you reset the game, and freezing 4 times during my playthrough.

[quote name='sneakysnake128']PS3 edition ruined the game for me. Framerate worse than a powerpoint presentation, sound effects cutting out entirely until you reset the game, and freezing 4 times during my playthrough.[/QUOTE]

You might have a broken PS3

[quote name='technicalstylez']yeah, gutted copies suck... however my friend's brother works at gamestop in southern california and he said that they aren't allowed to rent new/sealed games anymore and thus can only take home used/open ones to "try out". might be ymmv but atleast his gamestop is doin something right.[/QUOTE]

it should be a state law everywhere for any retailer that they cannot sell used media items as new. CDs, Movies, whatever. It's deceptive.

[quote name='sneakysnake128']PS3 edition ruined the game for me. Framerate worse than a powerpoint presentation, sound effects cutting out entirely until you reset the game, and freezing 4 times during my playthrough.[/QUOTE]

The Enlsaved edition ruined the game for me.

It was so boring and just not very much fun to play.

Also hope Splatterhouse drops further. $40 is too much.

Note to all who've been discussing the games:

There was a report that some of y'all are fighting over the quality of the games. Personally, I don't see it. It looks as if you folks are putting your opinions in as to whether the new prices are worth it.

In my opinion, that's being a good CAG. A game dropped to $40 may still be way too much if the game isn't good. Granted, Good and Bad are subjective, but most of you are giving reasons for why you find a game good or bad in here.

Now, another mod may disagree and consider there to be too much bickering. So please make sure you all keep your discussions appropriate, on topic and informative.

Thanks much!

Enslaved (Pre-owned & NEW) are both OOS online. I tried ordering the other night, but the SAVER promo code wasn't working with the used copy for some reason. Does it need to be a $20 purchase total for SAVER to work?

bread's done
Back