Gamestop not telling Trade in Values w/o games anymore

regisphilbi0

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Gamestop is crap. I went today to see how much credit I could get for a couple games . The guy there was like, "I'm sorry, we don't tell the Trade in values for games unless you bring the games with you." He said this was to "stop competitiors" from knowing there trade in values. Thats a bunch of crap- its so people will takie a bunch of games to find out how much they are worth and on the spur of the moment trade them in. Its stupid and annoying. SHAQ-FU U GAMESTOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with gothic... Its these poor cheap gamers who are too stupid and ignorant that trade in their games... I saw one kid a few months back trade in a 1 month old nintendo GBA SP and 5 games for 30 bucks... I told him not to do it right in front of store personell... Ofcourse the guy behind the desk didn't like me saying that, but the stupid kid still did it... NEVER EVER TRADE IN ANY GAME...

[quote name='Ataxonu']I agree with gothic... Its these poor cheap gamers who are too stupid and ignorant that trade in their games... I saw one kid a few months back trade in a 1 month old nintendo GBA SP and 5 games for 30 bucks... I told him not to do it right in front of store personell... Ofcourse the guy behind the desk didn't like me saying that, but the stupid kid still did it... NEVER EVER TRADE IN ANY GAME...[/quote]
I disagree slightly. On RARE occasion, one can get decent trade-in values. I recently got $12 for LotR:TT for XBox... I only spent $20 on it, used it for about two months, and then traded it. It was much cheaper than renting it, and I was tired of it... plus it was easier than selling on Ebay.

Was this guy's name perhaps Ernest Buxton? He used to be the manager of my local Gamestop until he got canned for being a poor manager. This was a tactic he implemented all the time. AFAIK, this is not a Gamestop policy, nor was it ever.

I think I'm going to refer to my lower sphincter as the Earnest hole from now on.

No, maybe Buxter hole. Yeah, that sounds better!

I wouldn't fault them for not giving prices over the phone. It's a waste of employee time and very easy for the competition to gather info. If their physically in the store I don't see what the problem is, though. Competitors will find out your trade values eventually so there's no reason to be pricks about giving out pricing, but there's no reason to make it easy for them by doing it over the phone.

Used games suck unless you're shopping for something like non-GH Caslevania: SOTN's, Suikoden II etc. Even then when you find a gem you wonder WTF people do to their games. I have to give props to EB here... someone traded in an Intelligent Qube and it was in mint gem shape. They guy at the counter refused to sticker it and just put it behind the counter. When I told him I was a collector he whipped it out and I paid $37 for it on the spot (Discount card YAHOOO!) so used games aren't always bad. I want to thank some idiot for trading that game in for $12!!!!

You are generally a complete tool for selling games used, they're bedning you over and giving it to you without the courtesy of any lube.

I tend to trade in my games when I either don't like them or know I'm not going to play them anymore for any reason. Neither of those situations happens very often, but when it does, it's just more convienient for me to go to Gamecrazy, EB, Gamestop, etc. to sell them than to put them up on eBay, Half, Amazon, etc. and then handle all the shipping costs and payment methods for potential buyers. It's just too much time and effort, and I've got other things to do (like play video games! ;) ).

[quote name='bmulligan']someone should start a sticky thread with Gamestop trade-in values list.[/quote]

That's a good idea, but trade in prices change so much...it would be a lot to keep updated. Values change almost everyday.

I actually called one shop a couple years back to get a trade in value, and they said the same thing. It wasn't Gamestop, it might have been EB.
This concept isn't necessarily uncommon though, and I can see some reason for it. If someone calls up and says I have Game A for trade, and he says Okay, I'll give you 15 bucks for that, and then the guy goes in and the game is in crappy condition, I could see a conflict occuring there.
And yes, a lot of it is where they want you to make the 'impulse' sale, which is again, not limited to GameStop or video game stores [check out all the candy/magazine counters right by the register in virtually any store.]
Also, the condition of the game/manual/case I'm sure has an effect on the trade value, which of course they'd need to see the game to judge.
While I don't trade games in often, I'd rather try to sell/trade over the net to other gamers, many people are very 'casual' gamers, and don't want to hassle. They go to EB/GS, offer a game, and get ten bucks off their next game. Whereas at a garage sale or pawn shop, which are probably the most common/recognized other non-internet based game sale forums, they might get three bucks cash. And many people aren't 'collectors', like we are--they buy a game, play it, finish it/get bored, want something new. You have to admit, the majority of people who post on single-theme message boards like this one are not the 'average consumer.' Nothing wrong with that, or with not being a collector. My parents just got into DVD, and the only DVD's they own are the ones we gave them--they get theirs from Blockbuster and Netflix, and can't imagine why I want to actually own 100+ dvd titles. I know people who trade in their car every 2 years, that's the same kind of thing, and they're taking a beating on the depreciation those first couple years.
So while this is an inconvenience, I don't see it as some evil thing only GS does, and of course, any store wants your business, especially if they are giving you service, so they aim their policies in that direction.
I trade/sell some of my games, depending on
A. collectibility
B. replayability [rather, will _I_ ever replay it?]
C. fun
D. how much I'd get for it. If I bought a game for 80 bucks, and would get 2 for it, I'll just keep it or give it to my brother or a friend or someone. Or donate it, and take a tax writeoff of 40 bucks or so.

And I don't think a sticky about trade prices in general would do all that well either--a lot of it would be store dependent, based on their stock levels, their buying market, etc. It might be good as a general benchmark, [as in, Roughly how much might I expect if I traded in XX?, to tell me if it's even worth my time], but don't expect to get exactly what the thread says.

On a side note Ebgames is letting you trade in your old GBA SP +35 dollars to get the retro one, or you can trade in a GBA non sp + 65 dollars get the SP one, then you could do the previous trade. This would cost you 100 + the price of the non GBA sp. Nice trade in deals across all stores!! :)

thats weird most times I call in they tell me the trade in value, unfortunately there are lazy ones who will reply "We're not allowed to tell you the trade in prices over the phone."

bread's done
Back