Gamestop qualifies as small business for Amex small business Saturday YMMV

tmly

CAGiversary!
Feedback
70 (100%)
Sorry if this isn't technically a deal, but if you signed up for the AMEX small business $25 credit on Saturday, you can make your purchases at franchised Gamestops. I wouldn't have thought they'd be a small business, but they were on the list of small businesses on facebook.

check zip code on here:

http://www.facebook.com/SmallBusinessSaturday

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda ironic since they either bought out or destroyed all of their competition. Not really a small business kind of thing.

[quote name='kevgret']Are you sure they qualify? it's not listed when I put my zip code in.[/QUOTE]

They are listed on 2 of the zips near me. Are some gamestops franchised? I'll take a screen-capture just in case I run into problems.

[quote name='tmly']They are listed on 2 of the zips near me. Are some gamestops franchised? I'll take a screen-capture just in case I run into problems.[/QUOTE]

So this is a more of a YMMV thing and not for all gamestops.

I have a local CD store around me called tunes. They have three locations but only one is eligible for the $25 credit..

The one-time $25 statement credit offer is no longer available. You can still do your part to support small business. Get involved, spread the word and come out on the big day to shop small and help your community

If your not already signed up its to late.

[quote name='tmly']I like how CAGS have a moral compass all of a sudden.
[/QUOTE]

It's not so much a moral compass as it is that Small Business Saturday is kinda cool and if people were smart, they would actually support local small businesses, even if it is just a free lapdance at the local titty bar.

None of the Gamestops in my area are listed but that's all good. I have already purchased WAY TOO MANY games already, over 30 in the last week alone and thats not including XBOX Live Arcade. I am going to do the same thing I did last year and put the 25 bucks towards a Patagonia Better Sweater Hoodie. I am done buying games for awhile....well, that is until I see the next deal I cant pass up. Will probably be Monday now that I think about it, lol.

been nice to seen this earlier and been able to get the 25 bucks there is 3 pizza places i go all the time.. (just went to one tonight)

then again dont know if i can handle pizza two nights in a row

[quote name='confoosious']It's not so much a moral compass as it is that Small Business Saturday is kinda cool and if people were smart, they would actually support local small businesses, even if it is just a free lapdance at the local titty bar.[/QUOTE]

Well, seeing how my family eats out every night, I'm supporting small businesses at least 5 days a week. If I can use one of my 3 credits on Gamestop, I'm definitely going to do it.

[quote name='slidecage']been nice to seen this earlier and been able to get the 25 bucks there is 3 pizza places i go all the time.. (just went to one tonight)

then again dont know if i can handle pizza two nights in a row[/QUOTE]

Pizza two nights in a row might be too much? Wow, I have literally gone weeks eating nothing but pizza, lol.

For those that missed it, this is the 2nd year that AMEX has done this and they are planning on doing it every year from here on out. So at least now you know about it. Be ready next year. Its basically a free 25 bucks. One of the better CC promo's around.

[quote name='confoosious']i know people like to save money but kinda defeats the purpose of sbs. And also, f gamestop.[/quote]

+1,000,000

[quote name='tmly']I like how CAGS have a moral compass all of a sudden.

btw, do you know what Amazon has done to all businesses across the country?

http://www.facebook.com/SmallBusinessSaturday

Enter your zip code[/QUOTE]

Not the same thing. Amazon hasn't ACTIVELY done anything. If retail can't compete (which they can't), it's not their problem. Gamestop very actively tries to put everyone else out of business. They either buy the stores/chains or, failing that, open new stores as close to any competing stores as possible.

I have some weird eligible businesses here. A funeral home. Car Dealership. I guess you could get an oil change or something at the dealership but you would have to be hoping someone dies soon to use the funeral home.

[quote name='confoosious']I know people like to save money but kinda defeats the purpose of SBS. And also, F gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I agree. How the fuck does AMEX go about calling them a small business?

Check my local places, they're not listed here at least.

Got some blurays today at a local trade in store. Got this email almost instantly.
Dear: Nathan

Congratulations, you completed all qualifying transactions on your Card
ending in xxxxx. Expect a statement credit in 3-5 days.

Thank you for supporting Small Business Saturday®!

Small businesses are the heartbeat of our communities and supporting
them is a great way to help fuel the local economy. "Like" Small
Business Saturday on Facebook to stay informed about the Shop SmallSM
movement.

[quote name='mietha']Not the same thing. Amazon hasn't ACTIVELY done anything. If retail can't compete (which they can't), it's not their problem. Gamestop very actively tries to put everyone else out of business. They either buy the stores/chains or, failing that, open new stores as close to any competing stores as possible.[/QUOTE]
Gamestop is following the WalMart business model. There are four WM stores within 20 miles of my house, all of them SuperCenters. Why they need them spaced out a mere 5 miles or so apart from each other is beyond me, but something tells me they're not done opening new ones as of yet either.:whistle2:#

I didn't even realize Small Business Saturday existed until spotting an ad on TV at about 10:45 last night. What an opportune time, right? Just like that Aaron's Black Friday commercial I saw about half an hour to midnight on BF.

I will start off with I really do not like gamestop.

Could it be possible though that the gamestop stores listed as part of the SBS are private owned stores? I am not sure how the GS store model works but maybe the ones not listed are corp. owned. Maybe the stores listed for SBS are owned by an individual who instead of opening Bob's Games decided to franchise out with the gamestop name, so you'd be supporting a small business even with the gamestop name on it.

[quote name='iwannadie']Could it be possible though that the gamestop stores listed as part of the SBS are private owned stores? I am not sure how the GS store model works but maybe the ones not listed are corp. owned. Maybe the stores listed for SBS are owned by an individual who instead of opening Bob's Games decided to franchise out with the gamestop name, so you'd be supporting a small business even with the gamestop name on it.[/QUOTE]

GameStop Corp. does not have a franchise program. All of the stores are corporately owned and operated.

I know the family who owns our local GameStop, so I always buy my games there instead of something like Walmart.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']I know the family who owns our local GameStop, so I always buy my games there instead of something like Walmart.[/QUOTE]

Been drinking too much of that Cleveland water?

[quote name='confoosious']I know people like to save money but kinda defeats the purpose of SBS. And also, F gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Yet, everyone was shitting their pants with the $19.99 PS3 controllers. You guys crack me up with all the "so called hate"towards GameStop.

I used to work for GameStop and can tell you their benefits (medical, dental, etc) are way better than what you can get at wal-mart. Some employees may be turds, their deals may be soft, but they definitely make a difference for plenty of people who work for them and for the gaming industry as a whole. I knew one girl who worked for GameStop as a 2nd job just because of the benefits that she couldnt get at her 1st job.

So, don't like, don't buy and STFU.

[quote name='oasisboy']Yet, everyone was shitting their pants with the $19.99 PS3 controllers. You guys crack me up with all the "so called hate"towards GameStop.

I used to work for GameStop and can tell you their benefits (medical, dental, etc) are way better than what you can get at wal-mart. Some employees may be turds, their deals may be soft, but they definitely make a difference for plenty of people who work for them and for the gaming industry as a whole. I knew one girl who worked for GameStop as a 2nd job just because of the benefits that she couldnt get at her 1st job.

So, don't like, don't buy and STFU.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy.

I enjoyed a nice meal last night as a local eatery and amex gave me $25 for doing so.

[quote name='oasisboy']Yet, everyone was shitting their pants with the $19.99 PS3 controllers. You guys crack me up with all the "so called hate"towards GameStop.

So, don't like, don't buy and STFU.[/QUOTE]
You mean like the "benefit" of using a cash card that charges fees out the wazoo instead of getting a real check or the chance to do direct deposit?

http://kotaku.com/5153889/getting-paid-at-gamestop-not-as-simple-as-it-should-be

Yeah. Sounds like a GREAT company to work for.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean like the "benefit" of using a cash card that charges fees out the wazoo instead of getting a real check or the chance to do direct deposit?
http://kotaku.com/5153889/getting-paid-at-gamestop-not-as-simple-as-it-should-be Yeah. Sounds like a GREAT company to work for.:roll:[/QUOTE]That article is nearly 3 years old. Is Gamestop still doing this or are you clutching for any reason to bash Gamestop because that's what the nerd-raging CAGers do: Hate on Gamestop and Origin and EA and DRM and everything else except Steam, oh how people luv thems some fat Gabe Newell action. Yummy yum yum!! Everything sucks but that fat fucking liar and his Steam pipe!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean like the "benefit" of using a cash card that charges fees out the wazoo instead of getting a real check or the chance to do direct deposit?

http://kotaku.com/5153889/getting-paid-at-gamestop-not-as-simple-as-it-should-be

Yeah. Sounds like a GREAT company to work for.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone did a google search and didn't see the date of the article. Go find a newer article please, but don't forget to checkout on the $19.99 Dualshock 3 on gamestop.com

[quote name='DirkBelig']That article is nearly 3 years old. Is Gamestop still doing this or are you clutching for any reason to bash Gamestop because that's what the nerd-raging CAGers do: Hate on Gamestop and Origin and EA and DRM and everything else except Steam, oh how people luv thems some fat Gabe Newell action. Yummy yum yum!! Everything sucks but that fat fucking liar and his Steam pipe![/QUOTE]
Actually I don't even play PC games tyvm. So I guess that just blows a hole in your lil theory there, huh?

Don't you have some thread to go complain about hoarders/flippers stealing all the deals in?

bread's done
Back