Gamestop removed OnLive vouchers from Deus EX: HR; Now Pulling Game From Shelves

Gamestop messed up big time on this one, really. Honestly, all copies of a game should be sealed regardless. What they're pretty much trying to do is monopolize things and not give the consumer (us customers) a choice by doing this. They're basically boycotting any competition in a sense in which return, others are going to do to them so it'll backfire. I just cancelled my gears 3 pre-order the other day, guess i'll go cancel my halo ce pre-order as well and just get those $5 back. I could do without an avatar item anyways :)

Ah who am I kidding, i'll probably get it off a fellow cag on here anyways. a pre order

I understand WHY GS did this, they are saying they don't want to actively promote a competitor, but that does not give them the right to flat out steal from their customers.

I simply cannot understand how GS thought this would be OK to do. Did they think no one would care or notice? Did they forget the internet exists and people use it as a way to communicate? Did they think they were untouchable, did they really get that full of themselves that they think they are above reproach?

This is bullcrap. I used to work at Gamestop when I was attending college and, although I never had any problems with them as an employer, their policies are getting worse and worse.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would buy a PC game from Gamestop though. I mean, there were multiple deals if you needed the game day 1. Or if you're in my situation, I've got such a huge backlog that I'm just going to wait for the Steam Holiday Sale.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Did they think no one would care or notice? Did they forget the internet exists and people use it as a way to communicate? Did they think they were untouchable, did they really get that full of themselves that they think they are above reproach?[/QUOTE]
I think they really are that stupid.

This was the last straw for me. Done with Gamestop. I hope OnLive crushes Gamestop's cloud service that they are unveiling. Has their been any news about OnLive and Square Enix's takes on this?

Why are you guys still buying NEW games from gamestop? Only once in a while, used deals might come up.

If I had any gamestop credit at all, I would flip the moment I see a chance to get equal credit at amazon.

I can see the point of GameStop not wanting to actively promote a potential competitor, but if they had any ethical base at all they would have sent the product back and not sold it at all rather than pilfer from their customers.

I can't believe it took something like THIS to happen for people to finally start to complain (and even look at the legality) about Gamestop selling opened games as new. I know it is more importantly about them removing an item the publisher included, but still this has brought that issue in focus as well. I HATE when gamestop does this, and I refuse to purchase any game from them that is not factory sealed. I could care less about their "guarantee" for the disc to be in "NEW" condition. To me, the game is NOT new unless it is sealed.

I completely understand their position "GameStop's policy is that we do not promote competitive services without a formal partnership." But it is COMPLETE CRAP and I hate when companys use thier t/c's to pick and choose how to operate, it's certainly within their "rights", but just total crap in terms of customer service. Gamestop is literally stealing from their customers and I do hope a class action is brought against them.

Was just at GameStop and mentioned this to my buddy thats the Store Manager there, he said they got an updated email and all gamestops are pulling PC copies off the shelf. They are being recalled and sent back to SE, SE approved the recall, so this solves the uproar I suppose.

The notice says they're also accepting returns with a receipt, so if any really cheapassgamers want to try to make it before their store gets the memo...

Wow. What is next? Best Buy starts opening TVs that include HDMI cables and pulls them out because it is hurting their ability to sell customers $100 overpriced cables? I am sorry, but you can't open a product, tear a component of it out, and then still sell it as new. Gamestop needs to go down for this!

Just had a thought.....I wonder if EA or valve had a "formal partnership" when they distributed the free steam copy of portal 2 in playstation 3 copies. Most likely not, and this is just another example of how Gamestop picks and chooses when they want to enforce their "policies" and rip off consumers.

[quote name='Taboner']Wow are they really gonna get away with this with a slap on the wrist and that's it?[/QUOTE]

Well and all the bad pubic relations. I mean this news is on CNN and NYT. Tons of gamers have read about it and are talking about it.

But then again, GS caters to soccer moms a lot... they probably did not hear about it... anyway.

Someone write their congressman?

[quote name='jdb230']Just had a thought.....I wonder if EA or valve had a "formal partnership" when they distributed the free steam copy of portal 2 in playstation 3 copies. Most likely not, and this is just another example of how Gamestop picks and chooses when they want to enforce their "policies" and rip off consumers.[/QUOTE]

Sure, go ahead and pick the option which makes them look like assholes.

The Portal 2 deal was announced months ahead of time. Even if they didn't have a partnership prepared, Gamestop had time to complain. This was announced... never. No one even knew until people started opening their copies.

[quote name='OregonDealz']

Someone write their congressman?[/QUOTE]

I know this sounds like hyperbole, but your state's Attorney General office would probably be a good place to start with this.
If today ends up being a slow news day, they may have heard about it already. But if they haven't, it couldn't hurt to compose a tastefully worded, thoughtful letter/email to the good old AG.

As we already covered : Gamestop hasn't "rolled out" their OnLive/Gakai similar cloud service yet, its still in the Beta.
So they pulled these Codes as a preemptive strike against the competition that only exists in their heads atm...

Its worth pointing out again (as someone already said earlier) They did this to PC customers frankly, because they could. A PC customer isnt going to be using the OnLive system or service. Chances are , they were going to trade/sell// or simply give away their voucher..

Basically . GS wouldn't dare do this to console customers. In fact if you guys recall. , they ran a pretty substantial promotion for DXHR w/ Eidos Where you could win some swag (including an "arm" and a home theatre ) If you pre-ordered from them. Which makes how Squenix & Eidos Montreal will react to all this so much more interesting seeing as how they DID partner for that promotion

[quote name='jdb230']Just had a thought.....I wonder if EA or valve had a "formal partnership" when they distributed the free steam copy of portal 2 in playstation 3 copies. Most likely not, and this is just another example of how Gamestop picks and chooses when they want to enforce their "policies" and rip off consumers.[/QUOTE]

Portal 2 is not sold in GSs digital service so they didn't have a problem with it. They are saying that because their digital service sells Deus Ex they don't want to have to compete with OnLive. Their reasoning is stupid because if you buy the PC version why would you buy the digital version on their service again?

Why would Gamestop complain about Portal 2? They didnt own Impulse at the time if I remember and was just getting into console digital distribution.

If anything, it was a perfect fit for Gamestop. Buy the game, keep the digital version, trade the copy into Gamestop is what alot of people did. Im sure they resold them then as "new" those weeks after when Portal 2 was discounted alot. The oblivious gamer probably didnt know it either.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Apparently from Gamestops facebook:
"Regarding the Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Codes: We don’t make a habit of promoting competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor’s coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist."

[/QUOTE]

fuck you gamestop. You violated the integrity of the "Sealed" Packaging. Most my games are New/Mint condition when I trade them in (to other respectable retailers), so I guess I should get full MSRP value at Gamestop for trade-in. This is why I don't mind screwing this company out of free shit and multiple title trade-ins from friends I know who work there.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']Was just at GameStop and mentioned this to my buddy thats the Store Manager there, he said they got an updated email and all gamestops are pulling PC copies off the shelf. They are being recalled and sent back to SE, SE approved the recall, so this solves the uproar I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Sad thing is the average consumer isn't going to see the "Big" picture that Gamestop was stealing from them, so they'll continue to support them. Got to love ignorant consumers.

This should be illegal and SE should not allow GS to carry any of their games. Removing something from a package is theft.

1.) Go to gamestop to buy the game
2.) freak out that it is opened
3.) Purchase game
4.) use CD key
5.) Bring back to Gamestop and complain that the key was used and you want a refund
6.) you didn't hear this from me
7.) Never shop there again

[quote name='Vinny']This should be illegal and SE should not allow GS to carry any of their games. Removing something from a package is theft.[/QUOTE]

It's not theft if it's their property

[quote name='o_O']It's not theft if it's their property[/QUOTE]
If someone pre-ordered it and was paid in full, it seems to me it might not be their property.

[quote name='o_O']It's not theft if it's their property[/QUOTE]

To add to what PapSmerf said. They remove it from the package, that's legal. But they then sell it as new to someone with content removed without telling the customer, who is now the rightful owner, but GS did not give them what they paid for nor did they tell them they took it. They took something without the consent from a paying customer, aka stealing.

Any consumer, especially one that shops at gamestop, who supports this move and even goes as far as to say gamestop is in the right has got to be a major tard. Basically gamestop just took a steaming pile of crap on you and your sitting there rubbing it all over yourself saying "more gamestop" "oh I love it gamestop."

Anyone with any intelligence will never give them another dime.

This has got to be one of the most pro corporate / anti consumer decisions I have ever seen. It's amazing that this company thinks it can crap all over the same people who make them billions of dollars a year. I can't wait until digital distribution puts this company six feet in the ground!

[quote name='Saix_XIII']To add to what PapSmerf said. They remove it from the package, that's legal, but they then sell it as new to someone with content removed without telling the customer is the rightful owner but GS did not give them what they paid for nor did they tell them they took it. They took something without the consent from a paying customer, aka stealing.[/QUOTE]

Wired contacted a lawyer about it. It doesn't count because it's something unadvertised. They got exactly what they payed for, they just didn't get the free bonus.

And I'd imagine Gamestop's pre-order policy clarifies that it's not yours yet. For one, they don't have a specific copy that they can point to and say "that's PapaSmerf's game".

Is what Gamestop did wrong? Yes. Is it illegal? Probably not.

[quote name='RiPPn']Any consumer, especially one that shops at gamestop, who supports this move and even goes as far as to say gamestop is in the right has got to be a major tard. Basically gamestop just took a steaming pile of crap on you and your sitting there rubbing it all over yourself saying "more gamestop" "oh I love it gamestop."

Anyone with any intelligence will never give them another dime.

This has got to be one of the most pro corporate / anti consumer decisions I have ever seen. It's amazing that this company thinks it can crap all over the same people who make them billions of dollars a year. I can't wait until digital distribution puts this company six feet in the ground![/QUOTE]
So you're saying I should sell my GME stock now?

EDIT: Went up at close today BTW.

[quote name='brianace']I know this sounds like hyperbole, but your state's Attorney General office would probably be a good place to start with this.
If today ends up being a slow news day, they may have heard about it already. But if they haven't, it couldn't hurt to compose a tastefully worded, thoughtful letter/email to the good old AG.[/QUOTE]

Yup you are right, you would get a better and faster response from the AG.

I actually called the OR State AG to file a complaint against Target.

Two weeks later I had the Target district manager calling my cell phone trying to resolve the problem. It actually went very well.

[quote name='DaShaka']1.) Go to gamestop to buy the game
2.) freak out that it is opened
3.) Purchase game
4.) use CD key
5.) Bring back to Gamestop and complain that the key was used and you want a refund
6.) you didn't hear this from me
7.) Never shop there again[/QUOTE]

That would probably hurt the publisher and developer more than it would Gamestop.

1.) Never shop there again
That makes more sense.

I see that several of the OnLive codes are now up for sale on eBay. The ones that have sold are all at least $30, so Gamestop is stealing real money not just some worthless promo.

[quote name='donkeydrop']I see that several of the OnLive codes are now up for sale on eBay. The ones that have sold are all at least $30, so Gamestop is stealing real money not just some worthless promo.[/QUOTE]

Or those are from other people who bought them else where. But im sure there are a few gamestop employee's littered in.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']Or those are from other people who bought them else where. But im sure there are a few gamestop employee's littered in.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that Gamestop employees were selling them, just that someone buying there is losing the chance to sell their OnLive code for $30.

I'm so glad amazon and best buy are stepping up - gamestops only plus is sheer quantity of used games, but once best buy starts getting better inventory gamestop will go the way of enron :)

Honestly, I'm highly considering quitting in protest over this. It's a good thing I wasn't working when that came in, I would have flat out refused to do this.

but, man, this fucking economy has got me by the balls. I could really use the work.

fuck.

The worst part is, they've just pulled deus ex off the shelves altogether. So I guess you can all stop bitching about them taking the onlive codes out and move on to the real stupid move.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Agreed, this is all over the news websites. I hope they get sued Hardcore and go out of business. I'm sick of Gamestops bullshit.[/QUOTE]
why would they get sued for selling a different product from their competitors? :roll:
I don't think they're advertising that their copies come with the OnLive coupons.

This should be illegal and SE should not allow GS to carry any of their games. Removing something from a package is theft.
Are you serious? They paid for their merchandise. They can burn it in a fire if they want to. They can take the game out and sell the boxes only if they wanted to.
Look, if Square didn't notify them that's between THEM. Two companies, not the consumer. Gamestop can send their stock back, refuse to sell, whatever. But instead, they decide to open the packages and decide what YOU the consumer get in YOUR purchase. That's a highly immoral gray area they are opening up.
They bought the stock, they can do whatever they want to it, they can sell it however they see fit. The only thing they can't do is claim there's codes in there when they removed it. There is nothing immoral about doing whatever you want to your own property. THEY OWN IT. If you don't like what they've done it to it, you can decide to NOT purchase it. They are not obligated under any moral grounds to sell a product YOU want.

They made a statement saying they find it their option to open up your game case and take out anything but the disc. Crazy.

I'm okay with them taking the coupon code out if they are willing to no longer sell it as new then. Since, technically it is no longer new.

[quote name='honkyjesus']They made a statement saying they find it their option to open up your game case and take out anything but the disc. Crazy.[/QUOTE]
They are opening THEIR OWN game cases. YOU don't own it. You can decide to purchase it or not. YOU don't own it. They are selling Deux Ex without onlive codes. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
I'm okay with them taking the coupon code out if they are willing to no longer sell it as new then. Since, technically it is no longer new.
They can charge whatever price they want. They can charge you 10$ or 100$. They own it, its their stock .They choose what they want to sell it at. You don't like the price they're charging for their modified version of the game? don't buy it.

[quote name='Logain8955']Honestly, I'm highly considering quitting in protest over this. It's a good thing I wasn't working when that came in, I would have flat out refused to do this.

but, man, this fucking economy has got me by the balls. I could really use the work.

fuck.[/QUOTE]
That's kind of ridiculous lol

[quote name='shaniqua1990']They are opening THEIR OWN game cases. YOU don't own it. You can decide to purchase it or not. YOU don't own it. They are selling Deux Ex without onlive codes. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

They can charge whatever price they want. They can charge you 10$ or 100$. They own it, its their stock .They choose what they want to sell it at. You don't like the price they're charging for their modified version of the game? don't buy it.[/QUOTE]

1. There is a thing that is called Price gouging, but this argument has nothing to do with the topic.
2. They cannot legally still sell the game as new. Can Best Buy take out some cables to a TV and sell it new? Can Amazon not include your pre-order bonus because they don't like it?

bread's done
Back