Gamestop removed OnLive vouchers from Deus EX: HR; Now Pulling Game From Shelves

[quote name='shaniqua1990']

They can charge whatever price they want. They can charge you 10$ or 100$. They own it, its their stock .They choose what they want to sell it at. You don't like the price they're charging for their modified version of the game? don't buy it.[/QUOTE]

It's not the price that's the worst part, it's that they're deceiving the customers. I wouldn't care if they sold a new, unopened non-special edition game for $100 bucks, I just don't buy it. If I bought Deus Ex and found out the store I bought it from removed something from it, I would be pissed.

Yes, technically they're not lying when they're saying the game is new, no one has played the disc, but the fact that they opened it and removed part of the package (and I'm assuming they didn't tell anyone) is just wrong.

[quote name='jaydepps']1. There is a thing that is called Price gouging, but this argument has nothing to do with the topic.
2. They cannot legally still sell the game as new. Can Best Buy take out some cables to a TV and sell it new? Can Amazon not include your pre-order bonus because they don't like it?[/QUOTE]
This is not price gouging. And I don't really care for price gauging either, because you can't force someone to pay higher than what they're wiling to. Do you know what you're smoking?

They can charge whatever price they want. They can charge $1000 for the game if they want to . It's their product. Don't like the price? Don't buy it. No one is holding a gun to your head.
"New" and "used" products are relative terms. You can't claim a used product was never used, because it would be fraud. However, their products as they claimed, "were as good as new" because they know all they did was remove the on live code.

[quote name='jaydepps']1. There is a thing that is called Price gouging, but this argument has nothing to do with the topic.
2. They cannot legally still sell the game as new. Can Best Buy take out some cables to a TV and sell it new? Can Amazon not include your pre-order bonus because they don't like it?[/QUOTE]

Gamestop's definition of the word "new" has been going on the same way for the past decade and they have yet to be sued over it.

What if you buy a new Nintendo game, but the coins code has already been redeemed or any game with a DLC code due to some little brat writing it down in the store. If you buy your game at GameStop, you are SoL.

[quote name='unc13 buck']The worst part is, they've just pulled deus ex off the shelves altogether. So I guess you can all stop bitching about them taking the onlive codes out and move on to the real stupid move.[/QUOTE]

So they're just going to take a loss for the games? They can't return them since they've been opened can they?

[quote name='shaniqua1990']I don't think they're advertising that their copies come with the OnLive coupons.[/QUOTE]

No, but Square-Enix is advertising that ALL PC copies of DEHR come with the OnLive voucher, no matter where they are purchased-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30373227&postcount=750

It doesn't matter anyway, all PC copies, opened/gutted or not, are being recalled from GameStops. That's what GameStop should have done in the first place.

[quote name='mkrugrat']It's not the price that's the worst part, it's that they're deceiving the customers. I wouldn't care if they sold a new, unopened non-special edition game for $100 bucks, I just don't buy it. If I bought Deus Ex and found out the store I bought it from removed something from it, I would be pissed.

Yes, technically they're not lying when they're saying the game is new, no one has played the disc, but the fact that they opened it and removed part of the package (and I'm assuming they didn't tell anyone) is just wrong.[/QUOTE]
I'm not going to act like I'm an expert when it comes to consumer law. But it would have to deal with whether due to SQ's adveritsing that the games come with an OnLive code would lead to a reasonable person expecting that copies across different stores would have such code. And whether gamestop has to have notices informing the consumers theirs does not have the code.

[quote name='4tygames']Gamestop's definition of the word "new" has been going on the same way for the past decade and they have yet to be sued over it.

What if you buy a new Nintendo game, but the coins code has already been redeemed or any game with a DLC code due to some little brat writing it down in the store. If you buy your game at GameStop, you are SoL.[/QUOTE]

Here's a Joystiq article about the legalities, or illegalities, about it-

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/11/law-of-the-game-lawyer-explores-gamestop-used-vs-new-controve/

[quote name='shaniqua1990']This is not price gouging. And I don't really care for price gauging either, because you can't force someone to pay higher than what they're wiling to. Do you know what you're smoking?

They can charge whatever price they want. They can charge $1000 for the game if they want to . It's their product. Don't like the price? Don't buy it. No one is holding a gun to your head.
"New" and "used" products are relative terms. You can't claim a used product was never used, because it would be fraud. However, their products as they claimed, "were as good as new" because they know all they did was remove the on live code.[/QUOTE]
But, the problem is they are removing a part of the game and not letting the customer know about it and they are resealing it to make it look good as new. You don't find that the least bit illegal or unethical?

I want most of you to take a step back and realize that you're ripping into Gamestop because they don't want to promote a competitor, and think about how that could possibly offend you in any way. As I said in another thread, that's like being mad at Wendy's because they won't sell you a Whopper. Really? Really? Is it really an issue? Or is the Blind Gamestop Hate Expresswagon just driving by again?

Be truly honest, how many of you were going to buy it from Gamestop specifically for that OnLive code? I'm guessing roughly zero.

[quote name='shaniqua1990']They are opening THEIR OWN game cases. YOU don't own it. You can decide to purchase it or not. YOU don't own it. They are selling Deux Ex without onlive codes. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

They can charge whatever price they want. They can charge you 10$ or 100$. They own it, its their stock .They choose what they want to sell it at. You don't like the price they're charging for their modified version of the game? don't buy it.[/QUOTE]

Selling it as new after opening it and removing something is false advertising, plain and simple.

[quote name='shaniqua1990']a whole bunch of pro-Gamestop bullshit.[/QUOTE]

So, how long have you been employed by Gamestop?

[quote name='watcher0']Selling it as new after opening it and removing something is false advertising, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

According to him/her it is okay to false advertise because it is THEIR PRODUCT.

[quote name='jaydepps']But, the problem is they are removing a part of the game and not letting the customer know about it and they are resealing it to make it look good as new. You don't find that the least bit illegal or unethical?[/QUOTE]

The funny part is that they aren't actually resealing them.

for all new games gamestop gets they 'gut' 1 copy some stores 2 to put on the shelves for display. They are sold as new and employees are not aloud to check new games out at all only pre owned games. When you buy a a gutted game that is labeled new you pay the new price and if it comes with anything such as dlc or redeemable codes they are supposed to be with it. But you also get the some benefits as if it was pre owned. IE. you can return it within 7 days if you dont like it since it was already opened. Then people can argue well then its not new after that if it ever was its an endless argument. I DO NOT AGREE with taking the free on live copy out by any means it should still be there in all copies its just a dumb move on corporates part.

I just bought catherine from gamestop marked new but the box was clearly out of the wraper. I too am sick of this bullshit of making me wonder what they might have removed from my game when I wanted it new and unopened. If they go under I won't miss them too much, most in store stuff was overpriced, and thier rewards program was shit next to best buy.

[quote name='Bos1014']for all new games gamestop gets they 'gut' 1 copy some stores 2 to put on the shelves for display. They are sold as new and employees are not aloud to check new games out at all only pre owned games. When you buy a a gutted game that is labeled new you pay the new price and if it comes with anything such as dlc or redeemable codes they are supposed to be with it. But you also get the some benefits as if it was pre owned. IE. you can return it within 7 days if you dont like it since it was already opened. Then people can argue well then its not new after that if it ever was its an endless argument. I DO NOT AGREE with taking the free on live copy out by any means it should still be there in all copies its just a dumb move on corporates part.[/QUOTE]

Err, your post is mostly bogus and it would be annoying to address each part.

[quote name='Survivalism']I want most of you to take a step back and realize that you're ripping into Gamestop because they don't want to promote a competitor, and think about how that could possibly offend you in any way. As I said in another thread, that's like being mad at Wendy's because they won't sell you a Whopper. Really? Really? Is it really an issue? Or is the Blind Gamestop Hate Expresswagon just driving by again?[/quote]

Not even close to the same thing.

[quote name='Survivalism']Be truly honest, how many of you were going to buy it from Gamestop specifically for that OnLive code? I'm guessing roughly zero.[/QUOTE]

Irrelevant. The intent of use is up to the consumer, not of the merchant.

[quote name='Survivalism']I want most of you to take a step back and realize that you're ripping into Gamestop because they don't want to promote a competitor, and think about how that could possibly offend you in any way. As I said in another thread, that's like being mad at Wendy's because they won't sell you a Whopper. Really? Really? Is it really an issue? Or is the Blind Gamestop Hate Expresswagon just driving by again?

Be truly honest, how many of you were going to buy it from Gamestop specifically for that OnLive code? I'm guessing roughly zero.[/QUOTE]

Straw Man

Its more like saying Wendy's wont sell you "McCheesey's new sandwich "The Colonator"
Largely because ,There is no place called McCheesy's
Just like theres no Cloud based game service called Spawn Labs

[quote name='Yanksfan']The intent of use is up to the consumer, not of the merchant.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Also, this-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30372892&postcount=709

"Actually, they're selling a box which is advertised (I have the press release from S-E which explicity calls it out) to have two DXHR licenses inside.

Remember, these days you are NEVER buying a physical copy of a PC game. The disc is worthless. You're purchasing licenses to use.

DXHR retail box PC copies have:
1) Steam license
2) OnLive license

By pulling the OnLive license GameStop is removing half the value from the product. It would be no different than pulling the Steam activation code/license."

[quote name='GalvatronType_R']What's next, will they remove online passes? Steam vouchers for Portal 2 from the PS3 version?[/QUOTE]

Nah, they will just force you to sign up for their digital service.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Err, your post is mostly bogus and it would be annoying to address each part.[/QUOTE]
please elaborate.

[quote name='Bos1014']please elaborate.[/QUOTE]

They've always put a seal/sticker on the box when I've bought gutted games. Once you break that seal, you can only exchange it for another copy of the same game.. you can't get a refund like you can with a used game. You're still following their "new" game return policies but with a gutted game.

really? the stores in my district we don't do that. I work in MA south shore. we dont put seal stickers on them i've been told by all store managers that they can return it like if it was purchased preowned.

im not here really defending everything the company does.. im just a pawn. a spoke on the wheel. anyone who buys a gutted copy imo should be able to return it because it was opened. i used to get annoyed when i went there when i was younger and got an opened game when clearly i wanted it new.. now i somewhat understand why they do it but it still doesnt make sense especially when we get shit loads of cover art and display cases why not just put all display cases out and not gut stuff.

[quote name='Bos1014']im not here really defending everything the company does.. im just a pawn. a spoke on the wheel. anyone who buys a gutted copy imo should be able to return it because it was opened. i used to get annoyed when i went there when i was younger and got an opened game when clearly i wanted it new.. now i somewhat understand why they do it but it still doesnt make sense especially when we get shit loads of cover art and display cases why not just put all display cases out and not gut stuff.[/QUOTE]

If it's gutted you should get a discount plus the used game return policy like they apparently do at your store. Only problem is that's not happening most places.

The moral of all this is if you're going to buy a new game, for crying out loud, don't buy it at Gamestop. :D

going through some of the posts a few things:

gamestop...gamestop gamestop gamestop...ohhh gamestop *le sigh*

in regards to CAG/Affilliation, whether true or false, I hope the cag community will stand proud of their opinions on this bullshit. As it has been pointed out, it's for the consumer to decide what to do with the contents of a "NEW" game, not the retailer.
Back to affiliation, I hope for the sake of free speech, journalistic integrity (or the forum equivalent), this post should be seen and people SHOULD stand up instead of being shafted by GS for their mediocre deals (if one could even call them that)...but I guess saying gamestop has deals is like saying buying games from them are "new".

As much as I want for GS to pretty much just get kicked in the balls, I'm sure after paying out to a few people, apologizing publicly (not sincerely), people will still continue to shop there because of the name they built.

[quote name='Bos1014']please elaborate.[/QUOTE]

I'll only address two, in a brief response-

*Employees are still allowed to take home opened "new" copies as a sort of rental benefit for working there
*You can't return the opened "new" copies

Gotta love these "OMGGAMESTOPSUXBALLSFORXREASON" threads. Pretty much the same 15-20 trolls bitching about the same shit, regardless of the thread topic starter. Any GS thread is just trollfood these days.

After hearing this I'm not surprised my local gamestop has really become garbage lately. They charge $30 for a used copy of Halo Wars when you can get it brand new on Amazon for $20. Not only with the exhorbent pricing on items you gotta now deal with a radio spamming ads for pre-ordering games , then having to listen to the employees spiel to preorder if you decide to buy their overpriced merchandise. Gamestop has went to hell in the past few years and I only go there to flip items to get games dirt cheap and use up e-rewards credit. all I got is MGS:HD collection in the fall for 360 I'm nabbing for $12 and I'm done with this business, but I rarely shop there anyways and I encourage my friends to do the same.

*edit* not only to continue my rant it seems like ever since they deployed their power-up rewards program they jacked all the prices up on their used games so you gotta buy the card to get the old price for used items. I'm just glad with the advent of cag and online retailers getting reasonable prices on games isn't an issue.

[quote name='Spyder187']Gotta love these "OMGGAMESTOPSUXBALLSFORXREASON" threads. Pretty much the same 15-20 trolls bitching about the same shit, regardless of the thread topic starter. Any GS thread is just trollfood these days.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps that should be a clue? I don't read many GS threads, but IMO, they clearly deserve the backlash they are receiving for this particular incident.

I stopped doing business with GS many moons ago due to their service and corporate policies. Things like this just reinforces that decision.

[quote name='Spyder187']Gotta love these "OMGGAMESTOPSUXBALLSFORXREASON" threads. Pretty much the same 15-20 trolls bitching about the same shit, regardless of the thread topic starter. Any GS thread is just trollfood these days.[/QUOTE]

It's funny that you call people in this thread trolls, but you're actually acting like a "troll". Your post contributes nothing to the discussion. The intent of your post is to provoke and inflame others.

[quote name='Killbomb']The moral of all this is if you're going to buy a new game, for crying out loud, don't buy it at Gamestop. :D[/QUOTE]
Or ask for a clearly still factory sealed copy. Except in this case, of course.

I expect someone to be fired for this nonsense

What's next, are they going to take out the online passes and DLC from new games because they also sell it?

[quote name='cheeky']So gay. If gamestop didn't have the occasional hard to find older game I'd never ever shop there.[/QUOTE]

Might be time to add a new way to criticize something to your vocabulary rather than 'gay' for when you are communicating on public forums.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Might be time to add a new way to criticize something to your vocabulary rather than 'gay' for when you are communicating on public forums.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^
NBA commercial

[quote name='Yanksfan']Might be time to add a new way to criticize something to your vocabulary rather than 'gay' for when you are communicating on public forums.[/QUOTE]

Its all over, he has the moral high ground...

[quote name='boredcollegekid']^^^^^^^^^^
NBA commercial[/QUOTE]

Or just have come to the realization that it is an unnecessary way to criticize something or someone. It does nothing but undercut any statement you may be trying to make.

He's right. You have to spell it ghey so it's less offensive.

bread's done
Back