Gamestop removed OnLive vouchers from Deus EX: HR; Now Pulling Game From Shelves

We've (the U.S.) literally nickel and dimed ourselves bankrupt to save a few shekels.
If you have a locally owned insert-mechant-here PAY THE FEW EXTRA DOLLARS AND SUPPORT THEM!

On Topic: Gamestop is pretty shabby. How about instead of tricking people with smoke and mirrors and stupid Trade X amount promotions, you just give a fair price from the get go?

It's the mentality like the one above me that is driving our economy into the dirt.
"I'd rather put my neighbor into the poor house and ensure some billionaire who doesn't give a fig about me gets even more rich!"

[quote name='Crizzixx']I'm new to the CAG community, and I've never personally had any problems with gamestop, so I had no ill sentiment to them before this. I didn't even know about the free onlive code otherwise I would have probably ordered me a copy being an onlive fan and all. I'm so glad I didn't because this type of business practice is alarming. After reading some of the other things about gamestop on this forum (employees playing new games etc.), I'm pretty sure that after I get my Gears 3 I'm done with them.

Has Square Enix released a statement yet? This is what upsets me the most about all of it. Even though this should be met with extreme anger from SE, they will probably roll over and be all nice towards GS simply because of the market share GS owns. I'm officially in gamestop boycott mode.[/QUOTE]

Better yet, cancel your preorder with them and pick it up day 1 at the larger retailers. Trust me, they aren't going to sell out of the game. THEY NEVER DO, unless it is published by Atlus or something.

I even saw their preorder bonus, which is shit. Oooh! A commando Dom costume for my in-game playable character! Give me a break. You fell for their shenanigans. Cancel your preorder, they'll ask why, and you'll say "because I'm not a chump".

[quote name='kraftwerks']We've (the U.S.) literally nickel and dimed ourselves bankrupt to save a few shekels.
If you have a locally owned insert-mechant-here PAY THE FEW EXTRA DOLLARS AND SUPPORT THEM![/QUOTE]

The only mom and pop shop that offers good deals where I live is The Time Capsule, and they only sell old/used games. The rest of your post is meaningless.

EDIT: Except for the bashing of GameStop, of course.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Better yet, cancel your preorder with them and pick it up day 1 at the larger retailers. Trust me, they aren't going to sell out of the game. THEY NEVER DO, unless it is published by Atlus or something.

I even saw their preorder bonus, which is shit. Oooh! A commando Dom costume for my in-game playable character! Give me a break. You fell for their shenanigans. Cancel your preorder, they'll ask why, and you'll say "because I'm not a chump".[/QUOTE]

No, I just pre ordered it before I was a member of CAG. I was a chump, I didn't know any better :p. Maybe best buy is having a midnight launch. I must have ASAP!

[quote name='Crizzixx']No, I just pre ordered it before I was a member of CAG. I was a chump, I didn't know any better :p. Maybe best buy is having a midnight launch. I must have ASAP![/QUOTE]

Also, anyone who demands to have a game "ASAP" is a chump :p.

I used to be like that, until I realized every game has been going to the $20 bin fairly quickly now. Never again will I pay full price for a game.

Which is why I am waiting for Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked to go down to $20 on Amazon or Best Buy. The Atlus/anime fanboys said I'm nuts, but I still see those copies in stock. Just a little while longer...

[quote name='kraftwerks']It's meaningless if you're a short sighted moron, we can agree on that point.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm a short sighted moron because mom and pop shops that charge more are worth shopping at, right?

Anyone who opens a video game store only to have it closed down in a month has him/herself to blame. It has nothing to do with the economy and more to do with making a right business choice.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Also, anyone who demands to have a game "ASAP" is a chump :p.

I used to be like that, until I realized every game has been going to the $20 bin fairly quickly now. Never again will I pay full price for a game.

Which is why I am waiting for Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked to go down to $20 on Amazon or Best Buy. The Atlus/anime fanboys said I'm nuts, but I still see those copies in stock. Just a little while longer...[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely no chump for wanting one of my all time favorite series as soon as possible. I have no problem paying full price for I game I know I will truly love, and supporting the developer in the process.

That would be fuckING epic if S.E. puts out a statement saying if customers bought the PC game from GS, they can submit a proof of purchase and they will supply the customer w/ the code to replace the STOLEN one.

Gamestop still sells PC games? From what I've seen over the years, they barely support that market anymore (last time I checked, the nearest store that sells PC titles is approx 2 miles away from me. I live close to a store which doesn't).

Anyhow, you vote with your wallets. I stopped supporting Gamestop years ago, when they were treating customers as morons when they questioned the new price on the clearly opened copy of a game. Plenty of better stores exist to cater to my needs and offer sales that are actually deals.

[quote name='aznhero913']That would fuckING epic if S.E. puts out a statement saying if customers bought the PC game from GS, they can submit a proof of purchase and they will supply the customer w/ the code to replace the STOLEN one.[/QUOTE]

I expected something like that from then, but they went the complete oppoite direction, tucked their tail between their legs and essentially apologized to Gamestop

[quote name='ssjmichael']I expected something like that from then, but they went the complete oppoite direction, tucked their tail between their legs and essentially apologized to Gamestop[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the have significantly better business with Gamestop than they do Onlive, it would have been a bad decision for them to do anything to make things worse for them.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Yeah, I'm a short sighted moron because mom and pop shops that charge more are worth shopping at, right?

Anyone who opens a video game store only to have it closed down in a month has him/herself to blame. It has nothing to do with the economy and more to do with making a right business choice.[/QUOTE]

When a businesses fails it is the owner and his or her policies, or the business environment(poor economy, too much competition, lack of consumer interest, high expenses, hard to comply with regulations, etc.) that is to blame. It simply does not fall upon the consumer pay high prices and deal with a restricted selection just to prop up unhealthy brick and mortar businesses that either lack the plan or the demand to make them sustainable. A coddled boutique with higher prices is not going to be much a blessing for the consumer in the long run. It needs to be able to compete with somehow the internet stores that give free shipping or it probably just won't compete. IF it won't compete and earn a profit then it should close unless it is some kind of well funded vanity project from someone who doesn't mind the loss..

this is good news as, if I remember correctly, this is the first time Gamestop's business practices has made headlines on major news outlets. This will hopefully lead to new business operations, such as not selling used games as new. I wonder what the legal implications of this are as this is removing an item from a "new" game instead of just having the game unwrapped. There may be a difference.

We reap what we sow my friends. If you are on this site and still give GameStop your money or trade your games to them there is nothing that can be done to help you.

I still can;t believe that anyone buys "new" games at Gamestop anymore. I get why people would buy used copies of games you can;t find there, but they don't offer better deals or selection on games than online or other B&M retailers.

[quote name='helmet']I'm sure the have significantly better business with Gamestop than they do Onlive, it would have been a bad decision for them to do anything to make things worse for them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but something caused GameStop to turn around and say they aren't going to sell any PC copies, because they were originally willing to sell the altered batch. And now they'll take back the PC versions purchased by their customers when they otherwise would not.

[quote name='maxfisher']i don't know if it's better or worse when grammatically correct.
Quote:
Originally posted by werc22 view post
well, i know that almost everyone is bad mouthing gamestop, and i'm sorry you have all had bad times with them. I've never had problems with the stores i've gone to to buy my games, and that's before i started working there. I've been working at a couple gamestop stores, and have been employed by the company for more than a year. I was there for the launch of this game, and our pc versions were sealed. So, unless gamestop used magic to make the coupons disappear, they should be in there.

I did read an article online mentioning that square enix waited to mention the coupon until the day the game came out. In the comments of the article, someone said that on the onlive site, they had a deal to get the game for free if you have a console, or something like that.

Well, if people are complaining about some new games being open or gamestop selling used games for full price, every gamestop i've been to or worked at doesn't sell used games for full price. If you're buying a new game and it's open, it's because it's the last copy and the case was used for the display, because gamestop doesn't send out empty cases to show we have a title on the shelf. Plus, what if you grabbed the display off the shelf and we were sold out? It would be false advertising. But, the games are still new, just behind the counter with the other copies. Sorry to everyone that gamestop doesn't run this way, but i wouldn't play a new copy of a game if i didn't buy it. That's not right. It is power to the player (that's you) that they have all these deals, sometimes, for trades or used games.

I'm not saying gamestop, gamestop, gamestop, yeah, because i still haven't gotten my gameinformer since i signed up for it 3 months ago. But, that's gameinformer's doing, so don't burn the monster and find out it wasn't a monster, just an angry crowd perceiving it as one.

Well, nothing is perfect. If you hate your gamestop, go to a different one. I don't know what to tell you. I just get this from the ones that i worked at or shopped at. Maybe gamestop isn't your store, or you need to do your game shopping in more than one retailer. I shop different places on and offline. I find the deals that best power me, as a player, in the life of video games.

I know that last month, gamestop had a deal to trade any games in for credit to buy some of the hottest e3 titles. I don't trade games normally, but i made off with most of the games that i want that are coming out this year, like batman: Arkham city, uncharted 3 and assassin's creed: Revelations. I traded only a handful of games and, with the power-up pro, got the 10% + 40% (so 50%) credit for my trades. I got more credits trading than i had paid for the games, so now i have 2 games fully paid off. You could say that's better than the best buy deal of pre-order 5 select titles and get a $100 giftcard.

Everyone has their own ways of getting games, so why should we cry about a free download coupon? If you're buying the game for pc, because there is no online multiplayer for this game, why do you need 2 pc copies? To play with yourself? If you have 2 computers right next to each other, you will still be playing the same game.

Portal 2 for ps3 made sense. Ps3 teamed up with sony to make this for multiple platforms, so you can have ps3 and pc players together. It had a co-op mode online that you needed 2 players for, so if you had the ps3 and got the pc steam code, you still had to link it to your psn id. But, the ps3 or xbox versions didn't come with a code. It was the pc version. There's no online play and no cross-platforming gameplay in deus ex, so the "i have a dream" speech in the game world can be "i have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "we hold these truths to be self-evident: That all games are created equal." i have a dream that pc, ps3, and xbox will be not judged by the...."

but, anyways, if the coupon was only in the pc version and it's to download the pc version, it's not like they took the game off the disc. I would be more upset if i bought the game for pc and only got a download code, but maybe that is just me. I would rather have a physical copy of the game.

I'll leave you with this: If you want 2 copies of this game, don't hate the gamestop stores. Just call up onlive's customer service and say that you need the coupon to download it, or call square enix. They're the ones who offered the coupon, so they should be able to get that for you, if you so badly want 2 copies of the same game.
[/quote]

Wow....just wow. Thank you for cleaning that up. But let's talk about a few points here.

1) The first reply of any pro-Gamestop person when a negative comment is made is about how it's "cool" to bash Gamestop. When perhaps, they have come to this conclusion on their own and not being a mob member as so many said responses like to imply. We can make our own decisions thank you, and do shop around. Personally, I only shop there when there is something exclusive I really want. Otherwise Amazon has rightfully earned my business with deals and customer service.

2) The Portal 2 PC inclusion didn't go direct against Gamestop. Go to impulsedriven.com and search for Portal. I didn't find it. But type "Deus Ex" and they offer it....which is why they wanted to yank the coupons. Some have argued as to "it's their stock and they can do with it what they want". Gray area for sure. Legally, it's not marked on the box. But it's still opening an item from a manufacturer and removing a component that they would rather you buy from them. And doing so while trying to keep it quiet. Simply unethical. And that's the kind of thing we shouldn't take lying down. If Gamestop had returned their stock from the beginning, they would have upset some people who pre-ordered it. But that's the price of taking a moral high-ground. The gaming equivalent of the simple "good or evil" choice.

3) Yes, you can get good deals at Gamestop with B2G1F or trade-in specials. That's not the point. What does that have to do with anything? Same with mentions of bad stores with bad employees. That can happen anywhere. It's irrelevant to the discussion.

4) If it's false advertising to have an empty game box on the shelf when you don't have it in stock why isn't Toys R Us sued regularly? They use display boxes and surprise, sometimes they accidentally go back on the shelves after the last copy is sold. It's human error and not conspiracy. You apologize for the mistake and move on. Gamestop (at least in many stores I visited) would put display boxes out for hot new and upcoming releases. Those aren't out yet and people would walk to the counter with them. Is that false advertising?

5) Yes, they open the games. Yes it's for display and security. Yes, I know if I don't want the gutted copy I can go elsewhere. But I also remember when Gamestop had the "buy a new game and return it in 7 days if you don't like it" policy. They had to stop that after a class action lawsuit over the definition of a "new" game was challenged by people buying "new" games that had been played. And that continues now with employee rentals. Some districts and managers might be stricter, and only allow employees to rent used games. Or threaten if any marks appear on the disc, they are buying the game. But really, you are talking about store managers not making a whole lot of money with employees making minimum wage. Sometimes it's just a morale thing to give them a perk and they take new releases home. They play them, you buy them new. PC games with the code were they only thing you couldn't touch. And now they've gone in and removed content.

6) Before I get any direct comments, know this. I was a Gamestop employee for almost 3 years. I was a third key, an ASM, and a store manager before completing school and getting into the IT industry. Many of my good friends/old co-workers still work there, and I know all of these items first and second hand. They agree that this was a crappy thing, and it's beyond their control. So please don't give them crap, there are actually some hard working folks at Gamestop who agree with you. Direct all your messages to Gamestop feedback and public relations. Thank you.

All I want to know is if I can return my copy of Deus Ex to gamestop after I already used the steam code. Is it wrong, yes. Do I care? fuck no because it's gamestop. I was promised something and if I don't get it, I feel I am entitled to a refund of my money.

Gamestop doesn't sell used PC games do they? Only new ones.

There should be NO reason for them to open a PC game AT ALL, EVER since most have a single use code included that registers the install to an account that lets the game play, and can't easily be reused or resold once the code is registered with a name/account that is not that of the intended customer.

Gutting console games might make sense but not PC games.

Also, given the tiny shelf at Gamestop for PC games I'd guess that their market share in console games is much larger than that in PC game sales.

So I wonder why SE caved since this was just for the PC version?

[quote name='spedmunki']I still can;t believe that anyone buys "new" games at Gamestop anymore. I get why people would buy used copies of games you can;t find there, but they don't offer better deals or selection on games than online or other B&M retailers.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes Gamestop is the only retailer that sells a game in-stores, or even at all. Like Shin Megami Tensei:Devil Summoner Overclocked for the 3DS. They are the only retailer to sell it in-store. Otherwise you'd just pay full MSRP online. (Same goes to alot of other niche games of the sort).

Though, i have to agree that them opening a game and selling it as new is pretty bs. Happened when i picked up my Shin Megami the other day, literally was about to walk out of the store to buy it elseware when i realized that every store only got 1 or 2 copies in. (Most of which had sold out)

I am curious to know if GS will allow people to return used copies of Deus Ex over this. I mean I know it's a cheap practice to do this, but it's gamestop.

[quote name='palaeomerus']When a businesses fails it is the owner and his or her policies, or the business environment(poor economy, too much competition, lack of consumer interest, high expenses, hard to comply with regulations, etc.) that is to blame. It simply does not fall upon the consumer pay high prices and deal with a restricted selection just to prop up unhealthy brick and mortar businesses that either lack the plan or the demand to make them sustainable. A coddled boutique with higher prices is not going to be much a blessing for the consumer in the long run. It needs to be able to compete with somehow the internet stores that give free shipping or it probably just won't compete. IF it won't compete and earn a profit then it should close unless it is some kind of well funded vanity project from someone who doesn't mind the loss..[/QUOTE]

You stated it better. That's pretty much what I meant, but it is hard for me to convey what I mean sometimes and I'll just post a quick response without going into much detail.

Anyway, the thing that really bothers me about anyone trying to push a mom and pop shop on me (whether it is video games, clothing, furniture, whatever) is that most of them have the worst deals and the worst return policies, and I'm not going to support that crap by giving them my business. Big retailers like Walmart have better deals and better policies, so I shop there instead.

Best example when it comes to return policies is the Time Capsule closest to me in Massachusetts. They used to have an "ALL SALES FINAL" sign as well as that statement on their receipts. Then I went to buy something there recently and the guy working at the counter now says "hold onto your receipt in case it doesn't work so that you can return it" to everyone buying stuff. I had no intention of returning anything I bought there anyway, and I have no complaints about the store, so they are an exception. They just sell stuff no other place does (at least, in my area) which is why I buy from them.

Anyway, I believe it's a Massachusetts state law to take back defective merchandise and illegal to state "ALL SALES FINAL", but mom and pop shops get away with it until someone complains to the town hall or whatever, and it's not the same for all states. And most mom and pop shops have relations to the police stations so they can get away with a lot more crap.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Sometimes Gamestop is the only retailer that sells a game in-stores, or even at all. Like Shin Megami Tensei:Devil Summoner Overclocked for the 3DS. They are the only retailer to sell it in-store. Otherwise you'd just pay full MSRP online. (Same goes to alot of other niche games of the sort).[/QUOTE]

Actually, you can have Best Buy do the ship-to-store thing right in their brick-and-mortar store for you. You can even use cash, technically through a Best Buy gift card. Sure, you'll have to wait a week or so, but you aren't giving a shitty company (GameStop) money they don't deserve.

I think you can also just have a copy shipped to the store and don't prepay for it, but you may not have it reserved. It would just go in their inventory for them to sell.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am curious to know if GS will allow people to return used copies of Deus Ex over this. I mean I know it's a cheap practice to do this, but it's gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Didn't GameStop put out a press release saying that they'll take returns of the game if you didn't get the OnLive voucher? Or am I confusing that with their "you will be assisted" statement?

Best Buy didnt have that option here, and last time i did a ship to store order (For another niche game of the sort), it literally never showed up and my order got cancelled.

I would have brought it on Amazon or something, but i had a crap ton of credit to burn anyway, and the game was totally worth the 40$ (Even if it meant giving the money to gamestop

[quote name='dgwillia006']Best Buy didnt have that option here, and last time i did a ship to store order (For another niche game of the sort), it literally never showed up and my order got cancelled.

I would have brought it on Amazon or something, but i had a crap ton of credit to burn anyway, and the game was totally worth the 40$ (Even if it meant giving the money to gamestop

I probably won't be setting foot inside another GameStop B&M for a long time. Ever, if I can avoid it.

Now what to do with the free giftcards I get every fiscal quarter... burn them?

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I probably won't be setting foot inside another GameStop B&M for a long time. Ever, if I can avoid it.

Now what to do with the free giftcards I get every fiscal quarter... burn them?[/QUOTE]

Sell them to your friends for their value. My cousin does it all the time.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I probably won't be setting foot inside another GameStop B&M for a long time. Ever, if I can avoid it.

Now what to do with the free giftcards I get every fiscal quarter... burn them?[/QUOTE]

I use my last one to buy an iTunes giftcard at GS. But we dont have sales tax here... so anyway.

I'm going to guess the people that are bitching about GS being douchebags and whatever are also the same people who go there for the B2G1 sales or you traded in your old PS3/360 last month when they had the $50 bonus. Most businesses have good things AND bad things about them. GS has its place in the market, if you shop there correctly. Of course not many people would buy a NEW game from them because there are better deals elsewhere. I've never had a problem at any GS that I have visited and you wont either if you are aware of the +/- of their business.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Didn't GameStop put out a press release saying that they'll take returns of the game if you didn't get the OnLive voucher? Or am I confusing that with their "you will be assisted" statement?[/QUOTE]
I don't know if it's just for the regular edition or is the augmented edition included.

[quote name='Gatorsfan35']I'm going to guess the people that are bitching about GS being douchebags and whatever are also the same people who go there for the B2G1 sales or you traded in your old PS3/360 last month when they had the $50 bonus. Most businesses have good things AND bad things about them. GS has its place in the market, if you shop there correctly. Of course not many people would buy a NEW game from them because there are better deals elsewhere. I've never had a problem at any GS that I have visited and you wont either if you are aware of the +/- of their business.[/QUOTE]

Little late to this party huh?

FYI, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the physical version has been removed from their site too.

[quote name='hustletron']Little late to this party huh?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, been out of the loop for a couple of days. just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

If you are trading games at GameStop with your parents, then I can understand buying a new game from there. Otherwise there would be no way to buy a game there. Anyway, plenty of good promotions around Fry's, Target on that game.

fuck gamestop. their employees are snobby and stupid.. they keep selling gutted copies of video games in shitty old boxes.. wtf

one time my friend went to go buy a new version of ModNation Racers.. and it came with a free dlc ticket item inside the box exclusive to gamestop..(at the time just came out) and the chick at the counter opened the game and took out the dlc content and tried selling it to him full retail price.. my friend said ... wtf u just opened it.. shouldnt u sell this to me USED now ? its fucking opened.. and the bitch didnt budge and insisted that we had to preorder it in order to get the dlc.. she said she'd put it back in if we pay her 5 extra dollars for the game... WTFushing fuck!!??

[quote name='Gatorsfan35']I'm going to guess the people that are bitching about GS being douchebags and whatever are also the same people who go there for the B2G1 sales or you traded in your old PS3/360 last month when they had the $50 bonus. Most businesses have good things AND bad things about them. GS has its place in the market, if you shop there correctly. Of course not many people would buy a NEW game from them because there are better deals elsewhere. I've never had a problem at any GS that I have visited and you wont either if you are aware of the +/- of their business.[/QUOTE]

I say good things about them when they do good things and bad things when they fuck up

this is one of those times where I bash them for doing some shady shit

[quote name='pandanese90']one time my friend went to go buy a new version of ModNation Racers.. and it came with a free dlc ticket item inside the box exclusive to gamestop..(at the time just came out) and the chick at the counter opened the game and took out the dlc content and tried selling it to him full retail price.. my friend said ... wtf u just opened it.. shouldnt u sell this to me USED now ? its fucking opened.. and the bitch didnt budge and insisted that we had to preorder it in order to get the dlc.. she said she'd put it back in if we pay her 5 extra dollars for the game... WTFushing fuck!!??[/QUOTE]

That it is preposterous to the point of not being believable...but then again, so is this whole DE fiasco.

Even though I got my copy digital this kinda just put the last nail in gamestops coffin for me. I will be stopping by my local store this weekend and canceling my pre-order for Space marine.

Why do you get Gamestop gift cards every fiscal quarter? Is that the only option for gift card?

[quote name='pandanese90']one time my friend went to go buy a new version of ModNation Racers.. and it came with a free dlc ticket item inside the box exclusive to gamestop..(at the time just came out) and the chick at the counter opened the game and took out the dlc content and tried selling it to him full retail price.. my friend said ... wtf u just opened it.. shouldnt u sell this to me USED now ? its fucking opened.. and the bitch didnt budge and insisted that we had to preorder it in order to get the dlc.. she said she'd put it back in if we pay her 5 extra dollars for the game... WTFushing fuck!!??[/QUOTE]

Everyone just needs to start getting video of every visit. Should make for some great YouTube stuff

[quote name='6er']Everyone just needs to start getting video of every visit. Should make for some great YouTube stuff[/QUOTE]

They should always make sure to knock over a magazine rack.

[quote name='Nintendonly']They should always make sure to knock over a magazine rack.[/QUOTE]

With a glitter gun and a boombox playing "glitter in the air" :D

[quote name='dabamus']With a glitter gun and a boombox playing "glitter in the air" :D[/QUOTE]

Fuck_yeah_2_More_Fuck_Yea-s580x480-47161-580.jpg

bread's done
Back