Gamestop return/exchange question

Specter Fate

CAGiversary!
I bought a used system from GS yesterday. Didn't have time to play with it last night, so I left it in the box. Opened it up this morning to find that there were cracks around the screen, the paint was chipped up, it was dusty and looked like there were crumbs in the D-Pad and the battery cover didn't feel stable.

The system WORKS, and does what it's supposed to...but that list of cosmetic faults is a bit too much for me to just eat for a system I blew 130$ plus tax on. I know the policy is 7 days for cash, 30 days for a duplicate item if it's defective..but do I have a case to bring it back and request one in better condition?

A better question would be: Why did you buy it without looking at it in the first place?

But, yes, you should be able to take it back and exchange it. Just take your receipt.

[quote name='Ziv']A better question would be: Why did you buy it without looking at it in the first place?

But, yes, you should be able to take it back and exchange it. Just take your receipt.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you shouldn't have any issues taking it back (you can even argue that cracked casing does count as 'defective' if need be.)

I also wonder why you didn't look it over first though, especially since it sounds like you bought a handheld system- my mom's purchased a couple used handhelds as Christmas gifts over the years... and every time, I insist on coming along with a game to play-test on it before I let her buy it! No one's ever told me no, and it saved us some grief picking up a DS (it took 3 stores to find one that wasn't jacked to hell... I'd hate to think of the return fiasco that could've been.)

[quote name='Specter Fate']I bought a used system from GS yesterday. Didn't have time to play with it last night, so I left it in the box. Opened it up this morning to find that there were cracks around the screen, the paint was chipped up, it was dusty and looked like there were crumbs in the D-Pad and the battery cover didn't feel stable.

The system WORKS, and does what it's supposed to...but that list of cosmetic faults is a bit too much for me to just eat for a system I blew 130$ plus tax on. I know the policy is 7 days for cash, 30 days for a duplicate item if it's defective..but do I have a case to bring it back and request one in better condition?[/QUOTE]
Even if I'm 'in a hurry' I tend to take my time when looking at stuff like used electronics, just to make sure I'm getting one that will actually work and doesn't look like it was used in place of a crash test dummy in auto testing circles.

You should have no problems getting either a refund or an exchange for the system since you're within the 7 days.

Moreover, I have to ask whether or not they took the system out and scanned the serial # barcode on it while you were checking out. If so, it'll be on the receipt, so if they try to give you some bs line like you 'swapped out your crap system for the one they sold you' you can just point to the receipt and go 'fuck you gimme a new one'.

I had some ahole working at Gamestop a while ago try telling me I did that with a PS2 I bought one day and returned the next(after going through 1-3 of them before finding one that worked right:roll:).

How could you possibly not look at the system? I could understand if it was some minor issues, but you seem to be talking about glaring errors. #1 rule when buying used products, inspect, inspect inspect. For shame op, for shame.

I can try to get a picture of the packaging they had the thing in. It's like those plastic casings prepaid cell phones come in, but it was super glued closed. There was no way that the guy would let me open it up in the store to look at it, and I figured that GS would be reputable enough not to sell me damaged merchandise.

Thing is though, if the one he handed me was "the best in the store", I wonder how jacked up the other ones really are if/when I take it back.

He didn't look at the system. Big deal. The point is valid, but does everyone need to comment on it?

Take the system back OP, they should replace it just fine. If not, get a refund and just buy a new one.

[quote name='Specter Fate']I can try to get a picture of the packaging they had the thing in. It's like those plastic casings prepaid cell phones come in, but it was super glued closed. There was no way that the guy would let me open it up in the store to look at it, and I figured that GS would be reputable enough not to sell me damaged merchandise.
[/QUOTE]

.... you do read the GS threads that pop up here, don't you?

GS sells what people trade in. Often, that includes half broken crap. The employees aren't going to argue with Dumbass McGee about why his cracked and chipped system isn't worth the the 15 bucks they'd give him for it. Not worth their time or their job is he complains up the food chain over it. So, he gets his credit, buys Madden, and heads home. Crap system gets sold to the first person who'll take it (probably a grade schooler who'll drop it on bus in a week, just like the last 2 he had.)

You have every right to want to inspect the used stuff you buy- that's why thift stores have testing stations. If you ask, and they say no, shop somewhere else. It's that simple.

[quote name='DuelLadyS'].... you do read the GS threads that pop up here, don't you?

GS sells what people trade in. Often, that includes half broken crap. The employees aren't going to argue with Dumbass McGee about why his cracked and chipped system isn't worth the the 15 bucks they'd give him for it. Not worth their time or their job is he complains up the food chain over it. So, he gets his credit, buys Madden, and heads home. Crap system gets sold to the first person who'll take it (probably a grade schooler who'll drop it on bus in a week, just like the last 2 he had.)

You have every right to want to inspect the used stuff you buy- that's why thift stores have testing stations. If you ask, and they say no, shop somewhere else. It's that simple.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. I thought they refurbished them though, or at the very least the sticker leads me to think so. I haven't been here very long actually so I haven't seen many of the GS threads haha.

I do think that after this I'm just going to buy my used systems on craigslist.

[quote name='Yanksfan']He didn't look at the system. Big deal. The point is valid, but does everyone need to comment on it?

Take the system back OP, they should replace it just fine. If not, get a refund and just buy a new one.[/QUOTE]
Just to point it out, I'm a she. And the guy did exchange it for one significantly less damaged, but still obviously used, which I think is about the best I'm going to get out of GS.

[quote name='Specter Fate']Point taken. I thought they refurbished them though, or at the very least the sticker leads me to think so. I haven't been here very long actually so I haven't seen many of the GS threads haha.

I do think that after this I'm just going to buy my used systems on craigslist.

Just to point it out, I'm a she. And the guy did exchange it for one significantly less damaged, but still obviously used, which I think is about the best I'm going to get out of GS.[/QUOTE]
If you think Gamestop is bad for taking in used crap that looks like it was abused to hell and back, then Craigslist is typically 100x WORSE. You're better off sticking to Gamestop or somewhere else where you have a return period in which to test out and return the item if it's not working right, as stuff sold on CL is typically as-is/where-is/buyer beware and I doubt most people selling stuff on CL are going to offer you a refund.

bread's done
Back