GameStop selling non-new games as new

[quote name='Level Jumper']Please, just shut the fuck up already. Damn you people that whine about things being sealed annoy me. If you want a sealed copy, that's fine I understand, go get a sealed copy. I don't have any problems with it. But you people acting like it's some crime against humanity to gut a game need to grow up and start worrying about more important things in life. I don't know if you noticed or not, but last time I checked, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart and every other big-box store out there is bigger and has more space than an EB or a GS, makes more money so they're able to have more coverage to watch for shoplifters, and have a smaller game selection than an EB or GS. Please, stop crying over something that is not that important.[/QUOTE]

You know, for someone who thinks this topic is "not important" you sure do have an emotional response to it... :roll:

I won't go into WHY it IS important because I simply refuse to buy opened products sold as new. If everyone acted like a smart consumer then we wouldn't be having this discussion. But alas...

if you want to return the game for the full price you paid for it cannot be opened. i don't know if at eb/gs they just let you return the display copy they sold as new within 7 days. i know at game crazy you can. so basically you can buy the open copy as new, play it, DONT fuck THE DISC UP, and return it.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']if you want to return the game for the full price you paid for it cannot be opened. i don't know if at eb/gs they just let you return the display copy they sold as new within 7 days. i know at game crazy you can. so basically you can buy the open copy as new, play it, DONT fuck THE DISC UP, and return it.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's really good advise, I'll have to do that next time I buy a game.

To clear things up, I'm not in the retail game business, I do not condone the practice, I don't LIKE the idea, and I never said I liked the idea. I was only arguing saying that it's not illegal, and that you can shop somewhere else.

Also, what is the "use" of a video game? It's uses are to provide entertainment when played, correct? So would this not mean if the game is not played, it is not used? Certainly the case is used, but the game itself is not. They ARE selling a video game. I think it's that everyone's definitions of "used" and "new" are varied.

I don't like the games opened and littered with stickered, but I tolerate it if the disc, manual, and case are relatively in good condition. I can replace the case if I care enough to, if the display copy is worn. I can buy it somewhere else if I really care about it THAT much. I'll ask for a discount, but I won't call the practice "illegal".

In conclusion, to prove something as false, is it not true that you only need one contradiction? The practice is not illegal because, by at least one definition, the definition I've outlined in my two posts (New meaning the game itself is unplayed) the game is in fact, "new".

I do not like gutting games, but if I find the condition of the game to be deplorable, I will ask for a discount and replace the case myself, and if I do not get the discount and really am disappointed with the condition, I will buy it somewhere else. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can call it illegal.

The only thing I argued against was calling this practice illegal. As long as it conforms to one definition of "new", you can't say that.

[quote name='UncleBob']If I buy a brand new, sealed, game from EBGames. Bring it hope, open it - don't even remove the game from the case - then bring it back to EBGames the next day, are they going to give me the new price back for the game, since the game is "New" and "Unplayed"?[/quote]

This was the only comment I found in this topic that highlights the practice as being crappy. I thought it was a great comment, and I don't believe that in most cases you can open a sealed game and return it.

I've heard every argument and heard every counter-argument that i think there ever will be for this topic (and probably used most of the good ones on occasion).

Everytime in the end I just come down to the same principle:

If, in your mind, new means unplayed, then you are fine.
If, in your mind, new means unplayed, factory sealed, then the store is out of the product that you are specifically looking for. Go somewhere else.

Since I stand in the first category myself, unless shopping for gifts (when I defer to the second because I think it's only good manners that I assume my reciepent stands in the second) I usually don't differentiate between sealed and unsealed merchandise.

But if I could make a wish come true on this topic it would be this:

-If you stand in the second group, move along. Someone will enjoy having that game more then you will if you can't move beyond the plastic film issue.

-Don't assume. There are new games on shelves of every retailer right now that cost the companies money to get, making no profit, or very very little profit. If profit on a game in some store is 6%, and they discount floor copies 10%, you won't be shopping in that store for a very long time. There are times when shipments will come and go so fast that a store will sell out of it's gutted copy days and days in a row, three come in, three go out, one comes in, one goes out...every day they are supposed to discount one copy? If it's worth pitching an argument about it just after reading what I've just written, you fall in the second group, move along.

The game is on the disc, not the label or on the box or in the plastic shrink wrap or the microsoft sticky label. Balancing act time: do you want the packaging or the Game?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Roufuss made the best point about the double standards with the practice in regards to the Rhapsody/Persona 2 games having the factory wrapping removed and being sold as used. The question about this situation is a legitimate one. [/QUOTE]

I don't feel like wading though the thousand other rhapsody/persona 2 topics/posts but didn't someone mention in a previous topic that they were being sold as used since the system no longer recognized the game as new. I don't work at a gamestop or eb though so I'm just going off of memory.

The thing that bothers me about the "new" display games ad EB and Gamestop is the method of storage. The "new" games inst. book is normally left in the display box so that all the filthy kids can put their greasy fingers on them. The game is normally stored in some kind of sandpaper-lined sleeve behind the counter. I found a "new" display copy of Rez at an EB one time and I was going to purchase it. I asked the guy if I could see the bottom of the disk. Of course it was scratched. To make it worse....he takes the game disk from me to look at it and wipes it off on his Polo shirt. It is definately scratched now. Then he threw attitude because I didn't feel it was "new". When the SNES and the PSX first came out, I remember the game companies made fake cardboard display copies to put out on the shelf.
If it is a display copy, I don't buy it anymore. And I don't give a shit how much attitude the EB and GS employee will throw when I tell them I don't want it. I am the customer.

So in other words tauruskatt its okay for GS/EB to sell a "new" game despite the fact that its been opened, most likely the disc might be scratched, the manual dirty, etc etc etc.. in other words anything BUT new condition. Sorry but I don't care if the store is losing money - especially the way GS/EB rapes the customer already as is (giving jack in trade ins then charging $5 less than new for a USED game). If the seal is broken and the game has been taken out of the case then guess what - ITS USED. I don't care what kind of justification you have - its USED. Therefore GS/EB shouldn't be even daring to charge a NEW price on a USED product. That's the beef most of us have on this as well.

If I'm going to pay $50 for a game - it better be brand new in the damn wrapper. End of discussion.

All this debate could end if EB and Gamestop would begin ordering Display Cases like the ones that TRU uses. That way there is no gutted copy of a game and no worry about someone stealing a game and also no need for new serucity cases, tags or whatever.

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']All this debate could end if EB and Gamestop would begin ordering Display Cases like the ones that TRU uses. That way there is no gutted copy of a game and no worry about someone stealing a game and also no need for new serucity cases, tags or whatever.[/QUOTE]

That makes too much sense however for GS/EB to do, so they won't do that.

GameCrazy also does this since they have a policy where you can try out a game before you purchase it....gives them the advantage of not allowing returns for the reason of not liking the game.

[quote name='Demolition Man']So in other words tauruskatt its okay for GS/EB to sell a "new" game despite the fact that its been opened, most likely the disc might be scratched, the manual dirty, etc etc etc.. in other words anything BUT new condition. Sorry but I don't care if the store is losing money - especially the way GS/EB rapes the customer already as is (giving jack in trade ins then charging $5 less than new for a USED game). If the seal is broken and the game has been taken out of the case then guess what - ITS USED. I don't care what kind of justification you have - its USED. Therefore GS/EB shouldn't be even daring to charge a NEW price on a USED product. That's the beef most of us have on this as well.

If I'm going to pay $50 for a game - it better be brand new in the damn wrapper. End of discussion.[/QUOTE]

I keep telling myself I won't keep getting involved in this debate everytime it comes up again...

This "opened as new" thing would never fly at a major retailer such as Target, Best Buy, or Circuit City. I have no idea why its seen as no big deal by EB/GS?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I keep telling myself I won't keep getting involved in this debate everytime it comes up again...

This "opened as new" thing would never fly at a major retailer such as Target, Best Buy, or Circuit City. I have no idea why its seen as no big deal by EB/GS?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Either EB/GS should at least give a slight markdown on these "new" games, write them off for store use, or write them off defective. Honestly this type of selling should be at least illegal - as its already unethical if you ask me.

[quote name='Farny']The only thing I argued against was calling this practice illegal. As long as it conforms to one definition of "new", you can't say that.[/QUOTE]

You already replied to what I said, but I just had to reply to this line...

While the open-display copies may conform to one definition of new, they do *not* conform to EB/GS's definition of new - which is unopened - when it concerns returns. It seems to me that this is a double standard that should be unacceptable.

Well I certainly never expected 4 pages of replies! And I'm sorry I didn't look for the topic somewhere else, I really didn't expect this to be standard practice. Gamestops are new in my area and I usually don't shop there. It's just that no other store sold the games I was looking for.

Of course I'll look for them online now. I didn't like the fact that they pay very little for used games so they can charge a whole lot more for them when they sell it. So now I'll avoid the store as much as I can (they sell strategy guides I usually only find online so I guess I'm going to eat my words sooner or later).

For me, "new" is the whole thing. Shrinkwrapped from the factory, no grimy fingers in the manual or whatever things come inside the box besides the disc and manual. Don't care if it's really been played or not. Instead of implementing security devices, they should change the NEW sticker to OPENED, so I don't feel deceived when buying NEW. Or perhaps they should add an UNOPENED sticker? There should be some difference, it's all I'm saying.

There are those of us who buy used, those who buy unplayed, those who just want the disc, and those who want all in mint condition. They should cater to all of us.

[quote name='reubendt']There are those of us who buy used, those who buy unplayed, those who just want the disc, and those who want all in mint condition. They should cater to all of us.[/QUOTE]

Better yet.. just be truthful and honest. If its used then sell it used. If its new then sell it new. There is no middle of the line here folks.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I keep telling myself I won't keep getting involved in this debate everytime it comes up again...

This "opened as new" thing would never fly at a major retailer such as Target, Best Buy, or Circuit City. I have no idea why its seen as no big deal by EB/GS?[/QUOTE]

It would have to fly if that is the way they decided to control their inventory. Other than the few people who like to whine about the practice on message boards, there really aren't a lot of people who care if the game is shrink wrapped or not.

If the majority of gamers actually cared about their games, EB and GS would be forced to change their policy but, as it stands now, games are a disposible entertainment. How else would you explain the racks and racks of used games at these stores?

[quote name='tauruskatt']I've heard every argument and heard every counter-argument that i think there ever will be for this topic (and probably used most of the good ones on occasion).

Everytime in the end I just come down to the same principle:

If, in your mind, new means unplayed, then you are fine.
If, in your mind, new means unplayed, factory sealed, then the store is out of the product that you are specifically looking for. Go somewhere else. [/QUOTE]
Intelligent, sexy, and a gamer... Will you marry me? :shock:

My own comment on this:

My local Gamestop got in two copies of Riviera for the GBA when it first came out. I was looking for it, because I knew it wouldn't be easy to find later on after it had been out for a while. So I did the store locator, saw they had a copy in, and went in to pick it up. The guy pulls the cart out of a drawer and starts stuffing it in the display box I brought up to the register. I wait for him to ring it up...I'm going to have no problems if it's the used price...but of course he rings it up at full retail.

Me: Why are you charging me the new price for it?

Him: It's a new game.

Me: If it was a new game, it wouldn't be opened.

Him: No, it's a display copy...we have to open it to put the box out there.

Me: So you're saying if I buy a shrinkwrapped copy of a game here, walk outside and pull the shrinkwrap off, but never play it, you'll give me full refund value on it?

Him: No, you'd have opened it.

Me: So what you're telling me is that not only are you using a different definition of "new" than everyone else on the planet, but that you change that definition based on whether or not it benefits you?

Him: ...

Me: All I can say is you're lucky there's no other store in the area that's selling the damn game.

It's my own fault for buying the damn thing, but hey, I wanted it and already knew I couldn't get it anywhere else locally. The great thing is he tried to tell me that it hadn't been played, but when I looked at the back of the cartridge in the car, I could see the scratches where it had been inserted and removed from a GBA. :p That is the only time I have ever bought a "new" game from GS. I don't have a problem with the people working there, I have a problem with the people who support that retarded policy. An opened game is not "new" by any sense of the definition. It might be "opened, like new" or in most cases "opened, played a few times" since I guarantee a ton of GS employees playtest their display copies, but it is not by any stretch of the imagination or any misuse of the English language "new."

[quote name='darkwingduck13']My own comment on this:

It's my own fault for buying the damn thing, but hey, I wanted it and already knew I couldn't get it anywhere else locally. The great thing is he tried to tell me that it hadn't been played, but when I looked at the back of the cartridge in the car, I could see the scratches where it had been inserted and removed from a GBA. :p That is the only time I have ever bought a "new" game from GS. I don't have a problem with the people working there, I have a problem with the people who support that retarded policy. An opened game is not "new" by any sense of the definition. It might be "opened, like new" or in most cases "opened, played a few times" since I guarantee a ton of GS employees playtest their display copies, but it is not by any stretch of the imagination or any misuse of the English language "new."[/QUOTE]

Don't forget also that Gamestop (and now EB's with the merger) let employees 'check out' games from the store like a library, including those supposedly "new, but opened" copies. They just don't like to admit this goes on.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']First...

Pointing out that this subject has been posted before isn't helping. If it bothers you to see it again then don't come into the topic, and certainly don't expect a newbie with one post to know how things at CAG work right of the bat. We all were newbies at one point here. It would have been more helpful to provide links to those similar topics than simply saying, "it's been posted before."

Second...

Roufuss made the best point about the double standards with the practice in regards to the Rhapsody/Persona 2 games having the factory wrapping removed and being sold as used. The question about this situation is a legitimate one. Quite frankly, if an open display copy is sold as new then Gamestop shouldn't ask that new games be factory sealed for refunds.

That being said, I am not fond of the practice. However, if I cannot find the game elsewhere then I may buy it (not very often though). Going elsewhere to buy a game is not always a valid option either. There should be a better system in place so that it is a non-issue. Gamestop and EB are multi-million dollar companies and to even try to use high cost of implementing a better system as a reason for not doing it is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Also, the copies they have in their systems at the store are sold as new, even though they play them in their dusty ass systems. I know this for a fact.

The thing is, when I buy a new game, i want it NEW. I dont want it "opened but mint" (even though 99% of the display copy games I've gotten had scratches on the discs and finger prints and dust, one was in such horrible condition that I wouldent have even bought it used). I only buy display copies when theres a mail in rebate deal or the price is as cheap as a used one. Still, when I think of NEW I think of it brand new in the package, never been opened, touched, etc.

A game is not brand new unless the disc, case and manual have that "brand new, just opened" smell to them. :lol:

[quote name='darkwingduck13']
It's my own fault for buying the damn thing, but hey, I wanted it and already knew I couldn't get it anywhere else locally. The great thing is he tried to tell me that it hadn't been played, but when I looked at the back of the cartridge in the car, I could see the scratches where it had been inserted and removed from a GBA. :p [/QUOTE]

You know, I've wondered about that because the Castlevania double pack I bought at Best Buy sealed had some marks on the back of the game. Also, when I opened my sealed copy of Metroid Pinball, the back of the rumble cart was scratched to hell but the DS game looked perfect. So I'm wondering if these are getting tested at the factory or what?

I also found a used copy of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat at Target on clearance for $20. Funny thing was there was no shrinkwrap and the manuals and game disc where in there for anybody to take. I brought it up to cashier to see if I could get a further discount since the game was opened but she said it was on clearance because it was opened. I didn't want to bother so I just left it.

This is classic...

Went to my local GS today to see about partaking in the B2G1F. Well, after finding a few incomplete GC games, I decided to pass, but not before browsing the DS and GBA racks. Lo and behold, I see this jewel case with a handwritten "Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga" -> NEW 29.99. I had to control my laughter; at least they were giving it 10% off (written under the title). Now honestly... how is a game with no box new? Did they find a cart on the street and decide that it hadn't been played? Keep in mind that the used price for that is 19.99.

[quote name='botticus']This is classic...

Went to my local GS today to see about partaking in the B2G1F. Well, after finding a few incomplete GC games, I decided to pass, but not before browsing the DS and GBA racks. Lo and behold, I see this jewel case with a handwritten "Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga" -> NEW 29.99. I had to control my laughter; at least they were giving it 10% off (written under the title). Now honestly... how is a game with no box new? Did they find a cart on the street and decide that it hadn't been played? Keep in mind that the used price for that is 19.99.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they didn't have a display case and chose not to open up a brand new COPT to put out on the floor to piss off people like you? Ever think of that? Nope, Game Stop/EB are EVIL!!! :hot:

[quote name='gizmogc']Maybe they didn't have a display case and chose not to open up a brand new COPT to put out on the floor to piss off people like you? Ever think of that? Nope, Game Stop/EB are EVIL!!! :hot:[/QUOTE]
Actually, it didn't piss me off, it amused me. But I'm glad it got you all riled up ;)

But don't the games come in cases? Hence my initial confusion. Where did the original box go?

[quote name='botticus']
But don't the games come in cases? Hence my initial confusion. Where did the original box go?[/QUOTE]

Did it even have a manual to go with it..?

[quote name='Roufuss']Did it even have a manual to go with it..?[/QUOTE]
I didn't check, but it just said 10% off (no box), so I would be inclined to say it had the manual. My guess would be that the box got wrecked, but I would think they'd send it back in that case.

If video games are disposable entertainment, so are movies and books. How else do you explain that every town in America has a used book store? People get tired of what they have, they sell it or trade it for something they want. Then, the product gets marked up so that these people can make a living. The difference is that used book stores don't try to pass of a used copy as new. I'm sure they could try with a few here and there, but they don't because it's used.

If you're ever at gamestop again and the employee brings out an open copy, ask for the used price for the game. They'll look at you like you're crazy but calmly explain you won't pay full price for a used game and if they can't do that, go find a manager that will. They'll give you another look like "Why are causing me all this grief, buddy? Just buy the damn game and get the f outta here." Stick by your guns and you'll get the cheaper price. This worked when I was getting a game for my wife. I go up to the counter and they can't find the game. I tell them we just played it on the Xbox kiosk in the corner. They promptly go over and take the game out, put it in the case and ring me up for full price. I tell them I won't pay the new price, get the manager. The manager comes out and says, "The game is new, we just used it as a demo." And all I said was, "Key word: used." Sorry for the long story, but you can get your way if you show a little persistence, and don't blow your stack trying to prove a point.

[quote name='depascal22']If video games are disposable entertainment, so are movies and books. How else do you explain that every town in America has a used book store? People get tired of what they have, they sell it or trade it for something they want. Then, the product gets marked up so that these people can make a living. The difference is that used book stores don't try to pass of a used copy as new. I'm sure they could try with a few here and there, but they don't because it's used.

If you're ever at gamestop again and the employee brings out an open copy, ask for the used price for the game. They'll look at you like you're crazy but calmly explain you won't pay full price for a used game and if they can't do that, go find a manager that will. They'll give you another look like "Why are causing me all this grief, buddy? Just buy the damn game and get the f outta here." Stick by your guns and you'll get the cheaper price. This worked when I was getting a game for my wife. I go up to the counter and they can't find the game. I tell them we just played it on the Xbox kiosk in the corner. They promptly go over and take the game out, put it in the case and ring me up for full price. I tell them I won't pay the new price, get the manager. The manager comes out and says, "The game is new, we just used it as a demo." And all I said was, "Key word: used." Sorry for the long story, but you can get your way if you show a little persistence, and don't blow your stack trying to prove a point.[/QUOTE]

And you're an ass. I would have refused to give you ANY kind of price reduction with an attitude like that. You can promptly go over to another store and buy it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
Second...

Roufuss made the best point about the double standards with the practice in regards to the Rhapsody/Persona 2 games having the factory wrapping removed and being sold as used. The question about this situation is a legitimate one. Quite frankly, if an open display copy is sold as new then Gamestop shouldn't ask that new games be factory sealed for refunds.
[/QUOTE]

I thought of this the other day when I tried to return a preplayed game to EBGames. They wanted to exchange it (which meant they would have to search the district to find it) or give me back store credit (when I had payed with my credit card). The clerk tried to claim that since it was opened and DEFECTIVE (!) that was the best he could do. Do used games come any way OTHER than opened?

For those of you who were wondering, I did end up getting my credit card credited back, but only after I asked for the district manager's number.

I couldn't give a flying fuck if companies make money- that is their problem, not mine.

I buy my games new- only rarely do I buy used when I absolutely have to- mostly it's a game that I don't really feel like I really want and the price point is really low.

That being said, twice I've been stupid and accepting a used game as a new one.

NEW = SEALED, never opened by the retailer

USED = SEALS HAVE BEEN BROKEN

it is really that simple. Like I said, I really don't give a fuck if people in retail defend this practice because somewho they've been drinking the corporate juice- don't know why they've done so, I mean hell, they are not making much money......

Open = Used
Sealed = New

Period- end of topic

[quote name='gizmogc']And you're an ass. I would have refused to give you ANY kind of price reduction with an attitude like that. You can promptly go over to another store and buy it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure glad you don't run a business. You would be bankrupt very fast with an attitude like that.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I thought of this the other day when I tried to return a preplayed game to EBGames. They wanted to exchange it (which meant they would have to search the district to find it) or give me back store credit (when I had payed with my credit card). The clerk tried to claim that since it was opened and DEFECTIVE (!) that was the best he could do. Do used games come any way OTHER than opened?

For those of you who were wondering, I did end up getting my credit card credited back, but only after I asked for the district manager's number.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me.

Paid with cash, got home, opened the game (had the white seal) and it didn't work. Went back to return it, they tried to give me store credit as well, since I opened it and they had no more in stock. Well, duh, how would I know if it was defective if I didn't open it???

[quote name='Demolition Man']I'm sure glad you don't run a business. You would be bankrupt very fast with an attitude like that.[/QUOTE]

If a customer walks in and politley asks for a discount on an opened title, I would give it to them. When he acts like an asshole and instantly demands to see a manager and says things like 'Key Word: Used', i'm not gonna budge. Oh, and I did manage a few game stores as well.

I only read the first page, so maybe my thought have been covered here but I'll share them anyway.

First, the stores have a right to do what they want to do with their merchandise.

Second, I don't have to like it, and nobody here has to like it. And nothing gets changed if someone doesn't complain. Most great retailers have achieved greatness by listening to, encouraging, and responding to customer complaints.

Finally, I personally see "gutting" as these game stores giving the finger to the general public. "You people come in and steal from us? Fine, steal this!" I can't say that I blame them, and all you Ebay people who moan and complain that bidders have ripped you off with chargebacks, etc (myself included) know the feeling. You're just trying to make a living here and so sorry a minority of criminals have ruined it for everyone, but I just can't do it "this way" anymore ("this way" being that you now require insurance on purchases, or you only leave feedback after the buyer receives product, or you raised shipping to cover your own insurance so the buyer has no choice, etc etc etc).

It's a tough situation, but I think there are arguments for both sides. Instead of focusing on GS and EB putting live product on the shelves instead of gutting, why don't we all start focusing on busting our moron "friends"/acquaintenances when they joke and laugh about their little return/refund scams, or their outright theft? The real problem is that the stores DO have to protect themselves. And my guess is that 50% of the people who have posted on this thread know at least one person who the stores have to protect themselves against. If you're not doing anything about it, you're part of the problem.

[quote name='gizmogc']If a customer walks in and politley asks for a discount on an opened title, I would give it to them. When he acts like an asshole and instantly demands to see a manager and says things like 'Key Word: Used', i'm not gonna budge. Oh, and I did manage a few game stores as well.[/QUOTE]

But on the other hand when the employee is going to be a jerk about it then its fair play to give the same back. Thanks for playing.

[quote name='chosen1s']I only read the first page, so maybe my thought have been covered here but I'll share them anyway.

First, the stores have a right to do what they want to do with their merchandise.[/quote]

Which is all fine and fair for them but when something is OPEN and they are saying that it is still new when the disc is scratched to hell... let me ask you this... when do you draw the line on something being new then?

Second, I don't have to like it, and nobody here has to like it. And nothing gets changed if someone doesn't complain. Most great retailers have achieved greatness by listening to, encouraging, and responding to customer complaints.

Exactly. And the only way GS/EB is going to stop this behavior is by us the CUSTOMER telling them that we do not like it.

Finally, I personally see "gutting" as these game stores giving the finger to the general public. "You people come in and steal from us? Fine, steal this!" I can't say that I blame them, and all you Ebay people who moan and complain that bidders have ripped you off with chargebacks, etc (myself included) know the feeling. You're just trying to make a living here and so sorry a minority of criminals have ruined it for everyone, but I just can't do it "this way" anymore ("this way" being that you now require insurance on purchases, or you only leave feedback after the buyer receives product, or you raised shipping to cover your own insurance so the buyer has no choice, etc etc etc).

So in other words its all right for GS/EB to sell an OPEN product as NEW just because a few people have ripped them off? There are OTHER ways for GS/EB to put a case on the shelves then what they are doing. Can't they just make a freakin xerox of the cover? Or with how cheap photo printing is I don't think its that hard to print a cover or two for "Halo 2" to tell Joe Six Pack that GS has it in stock.

It's a tough situation, but I think there are arguments for both sides. Instead of focusing on GS and EB putting live product on the shelves instead of gutting, why don't we all start focusing on busting our moron "friends"/acquaintenances when they joke and laugh about their little return/refund scams, or their outright theft?

Believe me I bust their asses right on the spot when they do that shit. Its not funny or cute.

The real problem is that the stores DO have to protect themselves. And my guess is that 50% of the people who have posted on this thread know at least one person who the stores have to protect themselves against. If you're not doing anything about it, you're part of the problem.

Read above.

[quote name='botticus']This is classic...

Went to my local GS today to see about partaking in the B2G1F. Well, after finding a few incomplete GC games, I decided to pass, but not before browsing the DS and GBA racks. Lo and behold, I see this jewel case with a handwritten "Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga" -> NEW 29.99. I had to control my laughter; at least they were giving it 10% off (written under the title). Now honestly... how is a game with no box new? Did they find a cart on the street and decide that it hadn't been played? Keep in mind that the used price for that is 19.99.[/QUOTE]

Someone could have ran off with the box from the display leaving them with only the cart. Not that I'm saying its right or not but thats what I think when I read this.

I thought I was being pretty diplomatic to the guy. I just asked for the used price for a game in a calm manner. He then went on a long discourse about it being new and not used and it was only used as a demo. I didn't rub the shit in his face just pointed out his company's hypocracy. You could call me an ass if it didn't actually work. I think the look on his face was worth more than the few dollars I saved.

[quote name='thetoxicone']Someone could have ran off with the box from the display leaving them with only the cart. Not that I'm saying its right or not but thats what I think when I read this.[/QUOTE]
That would be even funnier. "Hahahaha, I stole Superstar Sagaaaawwfuck, it's a box."

My friend said once he traded in a GBA game at Gamestop. The employee took it, grabbed a New sticker, and put it on it.

[quote name='.JPG']My friend said once he traded in a GBA game at Gamestop. The employee took it, grabbed a New sticker, and put it on it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that would be stupid in GameStops part. They make more money off used, and are expected to sell used over new at any given moment. Remember, if they traded it in as a used game (and gave you're friend store credit), its registered as a used game.

I went in to GS looking for Phoenix Wright a month or two back. I specifically called and asked for a brand new factory sealed, they said they had it. I drove half an hour one way-yeah not that big a deal except for f'n gas being 2.25 a gallon. When I got there, I asked for it and saw them grabbing the opened 'new' one. I asked for the new one factory sealed. They said they had that one only but that its "new", just opened for display purposes etc etc etc. I asked if they were gonna charge me full price, they said yup. Needless to say I had a nice convo about paying new price for used stuff. Opened and not played is still used in anyones eye no matter how you cut it. I asked for who I spoke to on the phone and they came out from the back and I asked him politely about the phone call. He said he remembered etc etc. I asked him what part of factory sealed did he not understand and he gave me the line about "well its new, just opened". I basically said f'it, I aint comming back again anyhoo and gave him shit for telling me they had something they didnt and for driving a hr's worth of time for no good f'n reason.

[quote name='Stink_Pickle']I went in to GS looking for Phoenix Wright a month or two back. I specifically called and asked for a brand new factory sealed, they said they had it. I drove half an hour one way-yeah not that big a deal except for f'n gas being 2.25 a gallon. When I got there, I asked for it and saw them grabbing the opened 'new' one. I asked for the new one factory sealed. They said they had that one only but that its "new", just opened for display purposes etc etc etc. I asked if they were gonna charge me full price, they said yup. Needless to say I had a nice convo about paying new price for used stuff. Opened and not played is still used in anyones eye no matter how you cut it. I asked for who I spoke to on the phone and they came out from the back and I asked him politely about the phone call. He said he remembered etc etc. I asked him what part of factory sealed did he not understand and he gave me the line about "well its new, just opened". I basically said f'it, I aint comming back again anyhoo and gave him shit for telling me they had something they didnt and for driving a hr's worth of time for no good f'n reason.[/QUOTE]

That tends to happen to me a lot..call up..yep they have a brand new sealed copy..drive over there, ask for the game, they turn around, pull out the "used game drawl" and pop in the game into the case :( A friend of mine said his nephew use to work for eb (or was it gs) and games like that were usually the employee rentals :(.. They always bug me about there edge card discount and blah.

lazy mofos, that happened to me also as they check in the system it might say they have a new copy but it doesn't say display copy of course!

Whenever I wanted to look for a used game (for the price), I always wondered why gamestop never sold any of their used games complete with their respective boxes and manuals. Then I was just under the impression that if they received a used item complete, they would resell it as new, and 'salvage' the cartridge/disc-only games as used.

I bought a copy of The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion for PSP at GS. I opened it and noticed several hairline scratches on the clear casing of the UMD. I finished it the day after, and decided to just return it for store credit and buy Mariokart DS. When I went back to GS, the employees inspected the game and said that it had too many scratches for me to get full credit (wtf?). I told them I bought it new just like that and noticed the same thing upon opening the package, and if I finished the game in such a short amount of time that I wouldn't have been able to take it out and leave it around.

"Well, since you're a girl...We'll let this slide. But you know this could get us fired," as they the two employees looked at each other and smirked. I couldn't tell you how much I wanted to roll my eyes and let out a huge "Oh pleeeeeeeease," but at least I got my credit.

So not that I've only had first hand experience, but this thread pretty much confirms Gamestop's practices and my opinion of them. Though I still intend to buy from them if I can't find what I need anywhere else...And I don't think I'll ever try returning an item again.

[quote name='Luxirie']Whenever I wanted to look for a used game (for the price), I always wondered why gamestop never sold any of their used games complete with their respective boxes and manuals. Then I was just under the impression that if they received a used item complete, they would resell it as new, and 'salvage' the cartridge/disc-only games as used.

I bought a copy of The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion for PSP at GS. I opened it and noticed several hairline scratches on the clear casing of the UMD. I finished it the day after, and decided to just return it for store credit and buy Mariokart DS. When I went back to GS, the employees inspected the game and said that it had too many scratches for me to get full credit (wtf?). I told them I bought it new just like that and noticed the same thing upon opening the package, and if I finished the game in such a short amount of time that I wouldn't have been able to take it out and leave it around.

"Well, since you're a girl...We'll let this slide. But you know this could get us fired," as they the two employees looked at each other and smirked. I couldn't tell you how much I wanted to roll my eyes and let out a huge "Oh pleeeeeeeease," but at least I got my credit.

So not that I've only had first hand experience, but this thread pretty much confirms Gamestop's practices and my opinion of them. Though I still intend to buy from them if I can't find what I need anywhere else...And I don't think I'll ever try returning an item again.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so you played and beat the game and then decided to return it? Who's screwing who now?

Hmm...Didn't think of it that way. :\ I normally keep all of my games but I played it during an 8 hour train trip and just saw myself beating it on the way back.

You've got a point though. I actually feel a bit bad now, and I really hate to make excuses, but that's really not the idea of the whole situation. I feel that as a customer, I'm entitled to my return and exchange as it is legally allowed with a receipt if I'm not satisfied with my purchase. And I didn't become unsatsified just because I beat the game, but really, I bought it over Popolocrois (another PSP RPG) since LoH was advertised to be 50 hours of gameplay, which is 20 hours more than the former. And I beat it in way less than half of that 50.

Anyway, Gamestop has my money regardless, because I got store credit and not my money back. I kept my copy of Mariokart DS and intend to keep it. Honestly, the chances are if I didn't beat the game so fast and if it met my expectations, it would still be mine. I've never previously bought a game just to return it, otherwise I'd make use of a rental service.

Though I'm not as serious about others here who feel cheated by buying used/open games as pronounced 'new.' And I am now personally sorry if my return of an already used game (by at least two previous owners) affects/has affected someone else to their dissatisfaction. But, Gamestop 'screwed' me by selling me a game that was very apparently used, without my knowledge prior to the purchase.

My point is that they would have gotten away with it if I originally kept it, and as mentioned in my original post, would have even more if they cut my store credit by a fraction or not have accepted my return at all.

[quote name='Luxirie']Hmm...Didn't think of it that way. :\ I normally keep all of my games but I played it during an 8 hour train trip and just saw myself beating it on the way back.

You've got a point though. I actually feel a bit bad now, and I really hate to make excuses, but that's really not the idea of the whole situation. I feel that as a customer, I'm entitled to my return and exchange as it is legally allowed with a receipt if I'm not satisfied with my purchase. And I didn't become unsatsified just because I beat the game, but really, I bought it over Popolocrois (another PSP RPG) since LoH was advertised to be 50 hours of gameplay, which is 20 hours more than the former. And I beat it in way less than half of that 50.

Anyway, Gamestop has my money regardless, because I got store credit and not my money back. I kept my copy of Mariokart DS and intend to keep it. Honestly, the chances are if I didn't beat the game so fast and if it met my expectations, it would still be mine. I've never previously bought a game just to return it, otherwise I'd make use of a rental service.

Though I'm not as serious about others here who feel cheated by buying used/open games as pronounced 'new.' And I am now personally sorry if my return of an already used game (by at least two previous owners) affects/has affected someone else to their dissatisfaction. But, Gamestop 'screwed' me by selling me a game that was very apparently used, without my knowledge prior to the purchase.

My point is that they would have gotten away with it if I originally kept it, and as mentioned in my original post, would have even more if they cut my store credit by a fraction or not have accepted my return at all.[/QUOTE]

What did you tell GS when you returned gthe game? That it was defective? If so, they then had to return that and hopefully get credit for it. What if that was the last copy and someone else wanted to purchase it? Now they can't and GameStop lost a sale. So just because they 'have you're money' dosn't make it right. Ask around here about returning a game at Wal-Mart...you'll see similar responses. Dont' even try to play the part that it says 50 hours and you beat it in way less then 50 hours, thats hardly an excuse. It takes some people 3 hours to beat Zelda on SNES, while it takes others days.

And no, just because you're not satisfied does not warrant a return. Not everyone has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, because if so, I would be returning nearly everything Ive ever purchased just because I finished the game, or watched the movie.

Sorry, I'm just sick and tired at most people here bitching about Gamestores. It happens daily, and most of the time its a simple misunderstanding, or someone getting worked up over nothing. I'm sure there are people that work at gamestores that are just assholes, plain and simple. But around CAG people find a reason to complain just because the clerk couldn't pronounce Lumines and he's such an idiot and how did he even get a job in a gamestore where he should know every single thing about every game ever made because he makes $8 an hour and he will never amount to anything...blah blah blah

I just wish the mods will alter the thread title and sticky this thread to stop the 'OMG they re-shrinkwrap games and charge pull price' threads every other damn day.

bread's done
Back