Gamestop selling Redbox discs as used

[quote name='leidh']1. OP is an idiot.
2. the game is not stolen
3. gamestop has a $30 Guaranteed $30 in store credit for borderland 2 plus Trade 2 eligible games, get $40 in-store credit.
4. this is how you do it, go rent 2 borderland2 games for $4 a day. then you go to gamestop and trade in these games for a $100 store credit. then you buy the games you want with the $100 gamestop credit TODAY. 25 days later redbox will charge your credit card for $100. It is like an interest free 25 days loan on $100.
5. Be smart OP, what you did will only let redbox to increases the prices on their games.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever stop and think that you're the idiot? Please explain the math behind how renting and not returning two copies of Borderlands 2 from Redbox will only cost $100

Will I be charged if I lose or don't return a rental?

Those charges are $24 + tax for DVDs ($25.40 in Maryland), $34.50 + tax for Blu-ray™ Discs ($35.51 in Maryland) and $60 + tax for video games ($61.48 in Maryland). At boxes where DVDs rent for $1 a day, the maximum rental period is 25 days and the maximum rental charge is $25 + tax.

^ So genius explain to me how $60 + tax x2 = $100

[quote name='Carbonite']This, its actually very possible. I already posted one of the reasons someone would do it.

When you rent from Red box if you don't return it after so many days you buy it and they charge you the full amount. Its a price cut off, with movies once you hit 20 dollars they charge you whats left after the initial rental and with games its 50 bucks.

Its automatic.

As I mentioned before I know someone that used a new game at Redbox to get enough credit to get one that he wanted that day. He paid for it in the end, but he got the game that day.

There is no reason for Gamestop to not take the discs. I am sure there are metric tons of legitimately purchased games and movies out there from Red box. Whether the person forgot to take it back or wanted to keep.[/QUOTE]

Have you done this before? The website VERY CLEARLY states it is $60 + tax which voids your entire argument.

What happens if I lose a disc? What will I be charged if I don’t return it?
Every day you don't return a disc, you'll be charged the daily fee + applicable tax. You have the maximum rental period listed at the box (20 days almost everywhere for DVDs) to return it before you'll be charged the maximum charge and the disc yours to keep (so if you end up finding it after the maximum rental period, you can keep it at no additional cost).

Those charges are $24 + tax for DVDs ($25.40 in Maryland), $34.50 + tax for Blu-ray™ Discs ($35.51 in Maryland) and $60 + tax for video games ($61.48 in Maryland). At boxes where DVDs rent for $1 a day, the maximum rental period is for DVDs is 25 days and the maximum rental charge is $25 + tax.

At my little indie store, we get people trying to trade in redbox stuff all the time. We have a policy not to take disc only games, so fortunately those all get turned down. Worse than that though, people in my area have started checking out games from the library and trying to sell those. We know what to look for, but i've seen library games at the local pawn shops and GS...people are so lame.

[quote name='GBAstar']Did you ever stop and think that you're the idiot? Please explain the math behind how renting and not returning two copies of Borderlands 2 from Redbox will only cost $100

Will I be charged if I lose or don't return a rental?

Those charges are $24 + tax for DVDs ($25.40 in Maryland), $34.50 + tax for Blu-ray™ Discs ($35.51 in Maryland) and $60 + tax for video games ($61.48 in Maryland). At boxes where DVDs rent for $1 a day, the maximum rental period is 25 days and the maximum rental charge is $25 + tax.

^ So genius explain to me how $60 + tax x2 = $100[/QUOTE]

It has always been $50 to keep the game unless Redbox changed the price recently. if so, the reason they change the price was because of people like the OP who tip them off.
PS. My state has no sale tax and I have a credit card that gives 2% cash backs.

huh, so that's what those stickers are..I got a game off eBay a few months back and it had the same sticker. Annoyed me so I tried to peel it off, but it didn't all come off and gets stuck in my 360's tray now..lol.

[quote name='leidh']1. OP is an idiot.
2. the game is not stolen
3. gamestop has a $30 Guaranteed $30 in store credit for borderland 2 plus Trade 2 eligible games, get $40 in-store credit.
4. this is how you do it, go rent 2 borderland2 games for $4 a day. then you go to gamestop and trade in these games for a $100 store credit. then you buy the games you want with the $100 gamestop credit TODAY. 25 days later redbox will charge your credit card for $100. It is like an interest free 25 days loan on $100.
5. Be smart OP, what you did will only let redbox to increases the prices on their games.[/QUOTE]

Reported for thievery. What a joke.

[quote name='leidh']3. gamestop has a $30 Guaranteed $30 in store credit for borderland 2 plus Trade 2 eligible games, get $40 in-store credit.
4. ...then you go to gamestop and trade in these games for a $100 store credit... [/QUOTE]

how does trading 2 Borderlands 2 games get you $100 in GameStop credit? The guarenteed $30 is one promo, the trade 2 games for $40 is a separate promo and GameStop will not stack these 2 promos... so basically you get $60 for your 2 Borderlands 2.

[quote name='cheapfrag']how does trading 2 Borderlands 2 games get you $100 in GameStop credit? The guarenteed $30 is one promo, the trade 2 games for $40 is a separate promo and GameStop will not stack these 2 promos... so basically you get $60 for your 2 Borderlands 2.[/QUOTE]

Math is certainly not his strong point.

Let's see...

Redbox charges $60 + tax (let's say 5%) on unreturned games x 2 copies = $126

Gamestop guarantees $30 trade in credit (but let's assume you stack a promotion that gets you $40 [I fail to see a single promotion that would get you $50] so... $40 x 2 = $80

- $126 + $80 = - $46

= PROFIT

oh wait...

so much for that interest free loan

[quote name='GBAstar']Math is certainly not his strong point.

Let's see...

Redbox charges $60 + tax (let's say 5%) on unreturned games x 2 copies = $126

Gamestop guarantees $30 trade in credit (but let's assume you stack a promotion that gets you $40 [I fail to see a single promotion that would get you $50] so... $40 x 2 = $80

- $126 + $80 = - $46

= PROFIT

oh wait...

so much for that interest free loan[/QUOTE]
I think that's a better rate than the check cashing places in Ohio and Kentucky.

People are stealing these games from red box using money dot green prepaid cards from Walmart. When uncharted 3 came out someone was selling them for $30. Went and picked it up and had the sticker on it. At the time I didn't know about red box stickers cause I never used them until my brother mention it was a red box sticker. Looked online and there is a whole thread on how to steal games from red box using the green dot money cards. Basically you give a fake information and red box will let you rent them.
Here is another Craigslist listing that I saw earlier.
http://memphis.craigslist.org/vgm/3309730441.html

As you can tell all those games they mention are all at red box.

It's pretty sad how low these people are getting just to make $30 or a little GameStop credit.

But when you trade it in at GameStop you do have to give your real information so I guess that's the only way they can get caught.

[quote name='pksellers']Worse than that though, people in my area have started checking out games from the library and trying to sell those. We know what to look for, but i've seen library games at the local pawn shops and GS...people are so lame.[/QUOTE]

Don't always assume that. My local library has a "fire sale" twice a year where they sell off a ton of their books, CDs, and DVDs for extremely cheap, usually $1-2 each or less. The discs could have been legitimately purchased. I've got about 2 dozen DVDs in my collection that I bought from my library.

It's incredibly possible some idiot lost this under his couch payed $60 to red bow them found it the next day and said fuck it I'll trade it in. Not everyone is a crook. O:)=Bible thumping smily (we really need one of those).

[quote name='Desousa93']It's incredibly possible some idiot lost this under his couch payed $60 to red bow them found it the next day and said fuck it I'll trade it in. Not everyone is a crook. O:)=Bible thumping smily (we really need one of those).[/QUOTE]

Please read the OP. This thread was in regard to a Redbox copy of Borderlands 2 which was found at a Gamestop just days after it released.

At that time he would have had less then $10 racked up in late fees.

bread's done
Back