Gamestop- Selling RROD 360's

MrFriday18

CAGiversary!
Last night I headed into Gamestop to trade in my launch Xbox 360 which has never failed me believe it or not. I got $95 trade in credit which I was pleased with and was going to put it towards a used Xbox 360 console at GS for $139.99. I wanted an elite black 360 which they had and I figured for $45 it was worth the upgrade to get an HDMI 360 and one that was almost 3 years newer. Needless to say I go home with my untested 360 and it is DOA. My mistake for not having them test it first, but you would think they would test them before a person trades it on or even sell the one. O well, I guess I will endure the inconvenience of finding another black 360 and exchanging it. Just wondering if any has had the experience of GameStop selling them a broken Xbox 360.

Sorry to hear that but you forgot that you were shopping at Gamestop!! Its like being surprised when you get a scratched disc because of their "resurfacing fees" they like to charge but then pocket the profit. It sucks but I am not surprised one bit.

Never buy a used 360, 90% of the time it's people who do the towel trick to give it one last performance to prove it works and then it's busted. Buy new or don't buy at all IMO.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Never buy a used 360, 90% of the time it's people who do the towel trick to give it one last performance to prove it works and then it's busted. Buy new or don't buy at all IMO.[/QUOTE]

Good point, I think I will just by a brand new Arcade console if the exchange 360 does not work out.

[quote name='lordopus99']Personally... with this generation minus the Wii, I wouldn't buy a used system.[/QUOTE]

i agree with this guy this gen of consoles isnt used purchase friendly not just because of consoles failing but when they do in sonys cause you get charged 150 and watever you have to go through with a 360 when it dies. this is also the gen of consles where an extended warranty is a must. it really sucks how much crap people have gone through with these consoles especially considering how pricy they are.

i bought a used gamecube years ago and its still working perfectly same for my ps2.

With the amount of bad product MS put into the system, I wouldn't doubt this. Just hope it is not wide spread. Also, towel trick?

Much as I loathe Gamestop, it's not their fault. The 360 is simply a piece of shit built by people that don't know the difference between thermal paste and toothpaste.

The most pathetic thing is thirdparty surveys now have the failure rate at 54% and Microsoft is still doing the refurb shuffle. How they get away with that is beyond me, seems the BBB and FTC must be on vacation. You'd think just giving people a brand new current model as a replacement would cost far less than the overhead staffing a repair center to send and recieve the same flawed console models in a perpetual cycle.

One thing's for sure, I'm waiting an entire year before I drop the cash on next generation's consoles. After the PS2 nightmare, I thought for sure my PS3 would die before my 360. I'm now on my third 360 and my PS3 is healthy as an ox.

People here talk about trading in their broken 360's to Gamestop quite a bit. Fact of the matter is that most of the time a person trades a console in it is because something is wrong with it. That includes peripherals like controllers too.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Much as I loathe Gamestop, it's not their fault. The 360 is simply a piece of shit built by people that don't know the difference between thermal paste and toothpaste.

The most pathetic thing is thirdparty surveys now have the failure rate at 54% and Microsoft is still doing the refurb shuffle. How they get away with that is beyond me, seems the BBB and FTC must be on vacation. You'd think just giving people a brand new current model as a replacement would cost far less than the overhead staffing a repair center to send and recieve the same flawed console models in a perpetual cycle.

One thing's for sure, I'm waiting an entire year before I drop the cash on next generation's consoles. After the PS2 nightmare, I thought for sure my PS3 would die before my 360. I'm now on my third 360 and my PS3 is healthy as an ox.[/QUOTE]

It's the truth.

OP, you got burned and you still have plans to go out and put down more cash on a 360? Wow...

[quote name='camoor']It's the truth.

OP, you got burned and you still have plans to go out and put down more cash on a 360? Wow...[/QUOTE]

The fact that they are poorly constructed doesn't change the fact that the system still has a solid selection of exclusive games and a great interface. I own both a PS3 and a 360 and I spend most of my time playing the 360 even though it has red-ringed on me twice now. For some reason, as much as it breaks, I love my 360.

I just picked up a new Jasper Xbox 360 Arcade unit. I have a hard drive so not a big deal. Was hoping to have a black 360, but can't always get my way.

[quote name='MrFriday18']Last night I headed into Gamestop to trade in my launch Xbox 360 which has never failed me believe it or not. I got $95 trade in credit which I was pleased with and was going to put it towards a used Xbox 360 console at GS for $139.99. I wanted an elite black 360 which they had and I figured for $45 it was worth the upgrade to get an HDMI 360 and one that was almost 3 years newer. Needless to say I go home with my untested 360 and it is DOA. My mistake for not having them test it first, but you would think they would test them before a person trades it on or even sell the one. O well, I guess I will endure the inconvenience of finding another black 360 and exchanging it. Just wondering if any has had the experience of GameStop selling them a broken Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

This is why you NEVER buy a used XBox 360.

I was just about to mention the douche bags who do this without mention of it when they trade it in.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']People here talk about trading in their broken 360's to Gamestop quite a bit. Fact of the matter is that most of the time a person trades a console in it is because something is wrong with it. That includes peripherals like controllers too.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='howlinmad']I was just about to mention the douche bags who do this without mention of it when they trade it in.[/QUOTE]

Can you blame them? If someone trades in a faulty 360, who really gets screwed? The person trading it in gets money for their POS 360. The person who buys the 360 gets a slight bit of frustration, but they return it and get a working 360. The only person who gets boned is Gamestop. And honestly, I have no problem with that. I have no problem with a company making money, that's what they do. But what Gamestop does to people is just highway robbery. Gamestop screws over it's customers, so they screw over Gamestop. Circle of life.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']This is why you NEVER buy a used XBox 360.[/QUOTE]
I bought a used 360 and got RRoD two weeks after and did the X-Clamps fix and now it works.

The 360 truly is a massive piece of trash, and it's unfortunate that, as another poster mentioned, that they continue to just do the refurb shuffle. If my system red-rings beyond the 3-year extended warranty (less than a year), I will likely buy an Arcade, because I already have so many games, accessories, and a 120GB HDD. But Microsoft's carelessness in the entire 360 situation definitely makes me doubt I will buy their next console.

yeah like others have said, buy a new 360 or if your a big MW2 fan get the limited edition xbox that includes a 250gb hard drive.

the only used console I would buy is a wii cuz of the durability.

You can fix the 360 RROD yourself (I did it awhile back). Sorry to hear what happened to you. If you can't send it back to Gamestop or send it into Microsoft, try and fix it yourself. At least don't let $140 go to waste.

We always test systems when they're traded in, how else could we stick people with a refurb fee? I'm sure it just died from sitting in the back room, seriously happens all the time.

I'll give GS some credit on this one. When my Xbox's have RRoD'ed, it was usually after a few minutes. How long can you expect them to leave them plugged in when they buy them. It may start up just fine, but after a few minutes it RRoDs...

MS should be able to hire some of the best engineers in the world to take of this as soon as possible. Instead the problem been going on for years and the units they repaired simply break again.

Microsoft has had HOW MANY hardware revisions of this thing? And they still can't make the things to be reliable. And don't give me your fanboy excuses on this. Nintendo and Sony ARE NOT having this problem with their current consoles. Microsoft is simply, ON PURPOSE, making these things out of cheap goods. Hell, I bet the lawsuits and free repairs are still cheaper to them than if they simply used quality parts form the start.

True. But that still makes the person doing this just as bad as Gamestop.
Gamestop knows or maybe doesn't know the 360 is bad, more than likely doesn't really care either way.

The person trading it in DOES know however. So, I guess in this case it's just one prick doing business with another prick. Whoever get's fucked first loses.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Can you blame them? If someone trades in a faulty 360, who really gets screwed? The person trading it in gets money for their POS 360. The person who buys the 360 gets a slight bit of frustration, but they return it and get a working 360. The only person who gets boned is Gamestop. And honestly, I have no problem with that. I have no problem with a company making money, that's what they do. But what Gamestop does to people is just highway robbery. Gamestop screws over it's customers, so they screw over Gamestop. Circle of life.[/QUOTE]

You screwed up, you had a working, perfectly functions 360 you've had since launch that you knew had been taken care of. You traded it in so you could pay extra money to get a used system that you have no idea the condition of it nor how it had been taken care of. You asked for that can of worms to be open by making a trade like that.

[quote name='mission42']You screwed up, you had a working, perfectly functions 360 you've had since launch that you knew had been taken care of. You traded it in so you could pay extra money to get a used system that you have no idea the condition of it nor how it had been taken care of. You asked for that can of worms to be open by making a trade like that.[/QUOTE]

I ended up just buying a new arcade. As far as screwing myself I don't think I did. My 360 which I purchased on launch date after four years was working quite fine. I just could not see it lasting much longer as it sounded like a 747. For 100 bucks more I got a brand new 360 which is quiet and a 3 year warranty from MS, not bad in my eyes.

[quote name='Doomstink']The fact that they are poorly constructed doesn't change the fact that the system still has a solid selection of exclusive games and a great interface. I own both a PS3 and a 360 and I spend most of my time playing the 360 even though it has red-ringed on me twice now. For some reason, as much as it breaks, I love my 360.[/QUOTE]

You must be crazy. I would never touch a 360, there's no reason to. Everything worth playing comes to the PS3 with the added advantage of a better balanced controller, an excellent online system, and MUCH more reliable hardware. It boggles my mind to think people STILL support that crap even after going through 3 or more consoles. Sometimes I think people are just racist and anti-Japan since they bash Sony and Nin regularly when we can see they're doing a better job. I can admit buying American isn't always the best.

For the record the only console I had break on me (out of 30 or so) was my original model PS1 when the laser sled wore out. My PS2 had a DRE once or twice but a quick cleaning solved that and it still works perfectly. Nothing else has failed me. I'd like to keep malfunctions to a minimum.

Not just 360's. PS3 have been known to come into GS DOA also (especially now since some people have had theirs "fried" by firmware updates).

I agree with everyone here who states that any used 360 or PS3 you see at GS, is probably trash (not in RROD or YLOD terms, but poorly taken care of).

Very few people like you OP, bring theirs in for an upgrade (you can easily sell it on Craigslist for a lot more than GS gives you unless you were selling it for the MW2 Bundle). Most (not all) used GS PS3 or 360's are screwed up in some way. And it's not GS fault as stated earlier, it's just people "giving them the shaft".

I was going to pull the trigger on a used 60gb PS3 they had at my local GS, but talked myself out of it. Too much of a risk for $330 (with just a year GS warranty, if you buy the warranty). Decided to use my GS credit and grab the new 250gb PS3.

Don't want to get on a soapbox about the 360, because both compliment each other well (I have 2 360's and will have a PS3 on Tuesday). However, if the failure rate was this high on any other product (especially from a U.S. company), there would be a congressional investigation. How they can get away with it is anyone's guess.

I've had 1 360 die on me myself. I bought mine from Costco though - so if it ever dies i just take it back to Costco and they refund me the full price or exchange it. Lifetime warranty on it for the win :)

Eh, I actually don't like the ps3 controller, and not everything comes to the ps3. I dunno about the racist statement, it seems that Japanese cars are doing just fine as far as sales.:) I think the biggest problem was that the ps3 originally came out at a very high price point, which deterred people like me from buying it from the outset, but yeah, there's no doubting that the PS3 is much more reliable then the 360.

[quote name='DPsx7']You must be crazy. I would never touch a 360, there's no reason to. Everything worth playing comes to the PS3 with the added advantage of a better balanced controller, an excellent online system, and MUCH more reliable hardware. It boggles my mind to think people STILL support that crap even after going through 3 or more consoles. Sometimes I think people are just racist and anti-Japan since they bash Sony and Nin regularly when we can see they're doing a better job. I can admit buying American isn't always the best.

For the record the only console I had break on me (out of 30 or so) was my original model PS1 when the laser sled wore out. My PS2 had a DRE once or twice but a quick cleaning solved that and it still works perfectly. Nothing else has failed me. I'd like to keep malfunctions to a minimum.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='docvinh']Eh, I actually don't like the ps3 controller, and not everything comes to the ps3. I dunno about the racist statement, it seems that Japanese cars are doing just fine as far as sales.:) I think the biggest problem was that the ps3 originally came out at a very high price point, which deterred people like me from buying it from the outset, but yeah, there's no doubting that the PS3 is much more reliable then the 360.[/QUOTE]

Really? I find it the best out there since it takes after the SNES and PS1 pads. I need a good D-pad too. Enh very few games won't but nothing to be concerned about. Just some kiddie junk and weak FPS's.

Yeah other products aren't like that. But it just seems to be that way this gen, just like how the Jap's don't fully support US consoles.

The price wasn't that bad, especially since it came with full BC. I can understand why some chose to wait though. In the end I think I made the right choice because as a game collector I would be ever so pissed to lose data due to hardware problems.

GS used you as free labor to test a system which may or may not have worked. Not only did you funnel money into their coffers, you also did their job for them. When you return that 360 and get another, you will be testing that one for them as well.
Do not buy any used hardware at GS. I dare say don't buy any "new" hardware at GS because you don't know which worker "borrowed" it for the night.

[quote name='docvinh']Eh, I actually don't like the ps3 controller, and not everything comes to the ps3. I dunno about the racist statement, it seems that Japanese cars are doing just fine as far as sales.:) I think the biggest problem was that the ps3 originally came out at a very high price point, which deterred people like me from buying it from the outset, but yeah, there's no doubting that the PS3 is much more reliable then the 360.[/QUOTE]

He threw that comment in there to offset the obvious Sony Fanboyism embedded in that rant.

"Let's add racism as the reason why I can make this statement" Smart move DPsx7. Next time don't come into a 360 thread to preach about your PlayStation's.

[quote name='horns456']I'll give GS some credit on this one. When my Xbox's have RRoD'ed, it was usually after a few minutes. How long can you expect them to leave them plugged in when they buy them. It may start up just fine, but after a few minutes it RRoDs...[/QUOTE]

I used to work at Game Crazy, and we wouldn't take in any PS3/360/Wii without letting it run for at least 20 minutes. 360's we would make people wait up to 45 minutes to make sure it worked.

We just told people that was our policy, and if they wanted to run some errands and come back that was fine.

bread's done
Back