Gamestop sent me a copy of Zelda: Collector's Edition - WWYD?

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
A week ago, during the "Save 10% off any PS2 game and get free shipping" promotion from Gamestop, I ordered a copy of the first Jax and Daxter game. $4.49 shipped, right?
Well, the package arrived today with an invoice for Jax and Daxter... but instead, it included a battered coy of the Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. It's complete, but this is total Gamestop material all the way. Like, the case is all sticker-fied, the manual looks like a five year old took it to the playground, and the back of the game is not pleasing to my eye. BUT! The game works perfectly.
If this happened to you, what would you do? Complain to Gamestop and take the time to get a return mailer, send it back, and wait for the $4.49 game? Or would it be worth the time to eBay - most are going for $35 - $40 near mint, so I imagine this would go for significantly lower.

If you don't have a copy of it, I'd say keep it and order another Jak. $5 for a beatup copy is still pretty good. Maybe you can take it instore and try to swap it for a better copy? Since the one you have has stickers on it, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If it works, keep it, and order Jak again.

If it doesn't work, return it for the game you wanted.

Simple.

I'm aware most people won't be able to or won't want to understand this... however, what you certainly should do is contact them to return the incorrect item for the correct one. This is no different then going into a bank and them accidentally giving you two $50 bills instead of two $20 bills... you have no right to what you received and the moral thing to do is to give them back the incorrectly received item and take receipt of what you originally purchased.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I'm aware most people won't be able to or won't want to understand this... however, what you certainly should do is contact them to return the incorrect item for the correct one. This is no different then going into a bank and them accidentally giving you two $50 bills instead of two $20 bills... you have no right to what you received and the moral thing to do is to give them back the incorrectly received item and take receipt of what you originally purchased.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I might agree with you but this is Gamestop that we are talking about :)

[quote name='Purkeynator']I sold a beat up pawn shop copy without a manual last week for $35. There is still demand for sure.[/QUOTE]

I guess I sold mine for too low then. I sold mine that I got from Nintendo and played maybe 3 times for $34.99. I guess I should have known it was priced too low when someone bought it 20 minutes after the listing started.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I'm aware most people won't be able to or won't want to understand this... however, what you certainly should do is contact them to return the incorrect item for the correct one. This is no different then going into a bank and them accidentally giving you two $50 bills instead of two $20 bills... you have no right to what you received and the moral thing to do is to give them back the incorrectly received item and take receipt of what you originally purchased.[/QUOTE]

Except the last time I ordered something from them (Herc's Adventures) it took 3 weeks for the package to arrive and the game inside was Battle Arena Toshinden. I called them for an RMA, and they wanted me to foot the shipping costs.

i agree with cornfedwb. return the game. if they refuse to take it because your receipt says something else, then that's their problem and you should keep it.

Actually, there are several laws about this that vary by state but basically if some one sends you something in the mail that you didn't order, you can keep it and you don't have to pay for it.

So if Gamestop's computer goes loopy one day and sends us all free X-Box 360s...those are ours to keep.

Very true, and under most other circumstances I'd agree... but these guys seem to have a track record of fuck ing over anyone who tries to do the right thing (ie, paying return shipping, double-billing when the right item is sent, etc.)

I'd probably just keep it. Or call about the return, and if they ask me to say shipping, say 'darn, I'm broke right now, but I'll call again for that return number after payday!' And they'd never hear from me again...

About the bank reference; I'd probably keep the two $50's. My banks are full of fucking jerks.
"I'd like to cash this check, It's in US dollars"
"Okay" *takes 30 minutes* "Sorry, we're closed now, come back tomorrow?"
"...what the fuck? i was here thirty minutes ago, you took my check, and then just went to the backroom for half an hour while I sat in this uncomfortable chair and felt peer pressured to donate $20 to buy a fucking mint for the girl guides on the table next to me."
"....We open at 10AM!"

However, I think I'd send back the game. Just owning a beat-to-shit game like that would piss me off, though.

The proper thing to do is to auction the game (or trade it in), giving the proceeds (-$5 or the cost of another J&D) to charity.

And if the game is scratched, that's one thing, but case stickers can be goo-gone'd.

[quote name='Rictor']Actually, there are several laws about this that vary by state but basically if some one sends you something in the mail that you didn't order, you can keep it and you don't have to pay for it.

So if Gamestop's computer goes loopy one day and sends us all free X-Box 360s...those are ours to keep.[/QUOTE]

As I said, most people won't understand my comment. I never said it was legal or illegal, and it doesn't really matter to me. My point was its immoral and wrong to take anything that isn't yours.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I'm aware most people won't be able to or won't want to understand this... however, what you certainly should do is contact them to return the incorrect item for the correct one. [/quote]

i acutally did this last year when gamestop sent me the wrong gba game. I ordered harmony of dissonance and they sent me the gba game wolfenstein instead. they told me to keep the wolfenstein and they would send me a harmony of dissonance when one came in stock. Come to think of it, i never got another harmony of dissonance since it never came back in stock. i need to call gamestop.

This is no different then going into a bank and them accidentally giving you two $50 bills instead of two $20 bills... you have no right to what you received and the moral thing to do is to give them back the incorrectly received item and take receipt of what you originally purchased.

yeah i would do that(inform them they gave me $60 too much) if the bank did this to me not because of morality so much as the teller would probably get canned over a mistake like this, tho they may get off with a warning.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']As I said, most people won't understand my comment. I never said it was legal or illegal, and it doesn't really matter to me. My point was its immoral and wrong to take anything that isn't yours.[/QUOTE]

Well, I see your point, but he did pay for it....so technically it is his to keep. But maybe its just how you look at it. And yes I know its the wrong game, but he did still pay for something and got something back in return.

[quote name='Rictor']Actually, there are several laws about this that vary by state but basically if some one sends you something in the mail that you didn't order, you can keep it and you don't have to pay for it.

So if Gamestop's computer goes loopy one day and sends us all free X-Box 360s...those are ours to keep.[/QUOTE]

That is true that there are laws in place that if you are shipped something that you didn't order, a company cannot come back and try to charge you for it, and your example would work. If GS shipped you a 360 and you didn't order anything, they cannot charge you for it.

Sounds like a couple of orders on their shipping line got mis-labeled or something...and it is cool that it worked out to your advantage (I bet the guy that ordered Zelda and got Jak though is pretty upset, no pun intended).

I'd probably keep it and take the karma beating though.

bread's done
Back