Gamestop stole my money

bs000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I pre-ordered Splinter Cell Conviction, picked it up and paid $65 for it. I did the gaming guarantee a week later. Bought SSF4 for $40 with the credit from the GG. So, there should be $25 left on it. Went to pick up Red Dead Redemption today and used the same card but they said there's no money left on it. Turns out it wasn't the same card. Apparently they gave me a different card back after I picked up SSF4. The gift card number on the receipt from SSF4 is different from the card they gave back to me.

Here's what it says on my SSF4 receipt:

Prev Balance: 64.99
Purch Amount: 40.23 (+$5 from preorder deposit)
New Balance: 24.76

I checked the balance of the card I have now online and it says $0. I tried to check the balance of the card number on the receipt from SSF4 but can't do it without the pin number. Is there any way to find the pin number without having the physical card short of guessing the numbers? Is there anything I can do with the gift card number from the receipt without the pin? What do I do now >_>

Sounds more like a crappy clerk than Gamestop. Id suggest asking to see a manager and then escalate it. You have nothing to lose really. Just dont accuse them of stealing or anything and you might get your money back. It would be interesting for them to look up when the balance was used, and see how the balance was paid for whatever was bought. Had it been a CC then can find the name on it asap. A debt card and cash would be harder however.

If you can't get any resolution from your local store, I would go up the chain to corporate via their website. If that doesn't work - go to the Better Business Bureau. I'm about 5 for 5 lifetime in situations where I had to get them involved, because companies really dislike having to deal with the BBB, so they will resolve your issue.

Obviously, you need to have proof, etc, which it sounds like you do have. Be professional in your approach, as Super Strokey mentioned. If you're under 20, I'd have a parent handle it, because otherwise people are going to assume you're a kid out to get a free lunch. /My opinion

they have done this to kids here before, which is why i am barred from the gamestop at Halifax Shopping Center. I called them on it, they got pissed and called security.

[quote name='SirMikael']If you can't get any resolution from your local store, I would go up the chain to corporate via their website. If that doesn't work - go to the Better Business Bureau. I'm about 5 for 5 lifetime in situations where I had to get them involved, because companies really dislike having to deal with the BBB, so they will resolve your issue.

Obviously, you need to have proof, etc, which it sounds like you do have. Be professional in your approach, as Super Strokey mentioned. If you're under 20, I'd have a parent handle it, because otherwise people are going to assume you're a kid out to get a free lunch. /My opinion[/QUOTE]

Great advice here. Can you be my Life Advisor?

I'd say go back to the store (or maybe another store would be safer) with the receipt and the card with $0 on it as fast as possible. If the receipt says there is $24.76 left, and if they can use the pin number of the $0 card to look up the last few transactions, they should be able to see the inconsistencies (I doubt the $0 card would show exactly 64.99 - 40.23 - 24.76 = $0, and this would prove that it wasn't yours to begin with)

[quote name='SirMikael']If you can't get any resolution from your local store, I would go up the chain to corporate via their website. If that doesn't work - go to the Better Business Bureau. I'm about 5 for 5 lifetime in situations where I had to get them involved, because companies really dislike having to deal with the BBB, so they will resolve your issue.

Obviously, you need to have proof, etc, which it sounds like you do have. Be professional in your approach, as Super Strokey mentioned. If you're under 20, I'd have a parent handle it, because otherwise people are going to assume you're a kid out to get a free lunch. /My opinion[/QUOTE]

I love this so much hahaha

For starters the BBB wont do anything but send a letter as Gamestop is not a member of the BBB. Second, go to the store and they can call document control which can track all the purchases from both cards.

EB and Gamestop feels shady when it comes to shopping experience. I would recommend getting your games from other outlets such as amazon.ca, FS or BB.

[quote name='Mana Thirst']EB and Gamestop feels shady when it comes to shopping experience. I would recommend getting your games from other outlets such as amazon.ca, FS or BB.[/QUOTE]

Great idea, they hand out $65 TIVs all the time :roll:

I'm glad my Gamestop is full of cool people. I'd go back and just talk to the manager and see where it goes from there. Just remember that at the end of the day it's not worth pulling your hair out over $20

[quote name='Ranzo']For starters the BBB wont do anything but send a letter as Gamestop is not a member of the BBB. Second, go to the store and they can call document control which can track all the purchases from both cards.[/QUOTE]

This. I was in a local EB when a lady tried to pay with a gift card that was blank. The manager offered to call document control which can track all the purchases on the card to see if anything was put on it.

I can see how easily it could happen, either accidently or intentionally. I've walked away from my card, with it propped up on their side of the screen where the customer can't possibly see it. Ive seen in their drawer here STACKS of eb gcs, edge cards, drivers licenses, debit cards people have left behind and never claimed. Doing a trade transaction and picking something up, takes awhile, they've got all your edge card, license and reciepts, your signing things and taking your gaems. You never realize they didnt give a card back that was out of sight and walk away from it

AT the gamestops here they swipe the gift cards with the credit card reader, which is facing the customer.

They always swipe it and give it right back.

I have misplaced my EBG edge card before with over $35 on it but I had a receipt with my last transaction on it. I called up EB HQ and they told me to bring this into the store and let the clerk know. I did and they were real nice about it and gave me credit right there to used so I purchased SF4 back when it first came out. You should be fine. Try showing a GS/EB clerk the last receipt. They can go by the number and look it up.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm going to stop by GS tomorrow and try to explain my situation. I didn't know about the document control thing. Strange that they didn't offer to do that when I told them there should still be some credit on the card. They just told me to go home and check the balance online. But I guess it wouldn't have mattered yet cause I didn't even know it was a different card until I started looking through receipts back home. Wish me luck :D

[quote name='vibinvo']I have misplaced my EBG edge card before with over $35 on it but I had a receipt with my last transaction on it. I called up EB HQ and they told me to bring this into the store and let the clerk know. I did and they were real nice about it and gave me credit right there to used so I purchased SF4 back when it first came out. You should be fine. Try showing a GS/EB clerk the last receipt. They can go by the number and look it up.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Receipt is the key. If you have a balance on a gift card, never let go of the receipt in case there is an error with the card, or you end up losing it.

[quote name='bs000']I pre-ordered Splinter Cell Conviction, picked it up and paid $65 for it. I did the gaming guarantee a week later. Bought SSF4 for $40 with the credit from the GG. So, there should be $25 left on it. Went to pick up Red Dead Redemption today and used the same card but they said there's no money left on it. Turns out it wasn't the same card. Apparently they gave me a different card back after I picked up SSF4. The gift card number on the receipt from SSF4 is different from the card they gave back to me.

Here's what it says on my SSF4 receipt:

Prev Balance: 64.99
Purch Amount: 40.23 (+$5 from preorder deposit)
New Balance: 24.76

I checked the balance of the card I have now online and it says $0. I tried to check the balance of the card number on the receipt from SSF4 but can't do it without the pin number. Is there any way to find the pin number without having the physical card short of guessing the numbers? Is there anything I can do with the gift card number from the receipt without the pin? What do I do now >_>[/QUOTE]
You need the pin on the back of the card that had the 24.76 on it. I'll bet that the employee used the credit on your card to pre-order games in the store to bump there numbers. I say this because while I worked for Gamestop I saw and heard of this happening multiple times over the course of the 5 years I worked there.

What you need to do is call the corporate number and tell them what happened and how the employee switched your Edge card for a new one. It could have also been a mistake as well though and in that case they may have just trashed the card and if that is the case you're $24.76 is long gone and if that's the case you may never see that money again.

Lesson learned, don't shop at Gamestop. The company is a joke and sucks.

Something similar happened to me where 3 lousy employees at GS tried to convince me that game credit wasn't tax free so I almost lost $5. Good thing I went to an EB where the manager knew what he was doing(and super nice btw) and gave me a gift card after I showed him the receipt.

Went and told them what I said here and showed them the reciepts. They were on the phone for awhile and then they put the $24.76 on a new gift card.

I pre-ordered MGS4 Limited Edition way back but forgot to pick it up until a year later. When I went in for it, they told me I already picked it up even though I still have the pre-order receipt they usually take. Eventually the manager calls HO and they say there isn't much that can be done but offered me $10 towards anything. -___-

You should have been more aware of the transaction in question. Stone cold says it best DTA. dude stop shopping at gamestop. Everybody has better prices now.

[quote name='Usuyami']I pre-ordered MGS4 Limited Edition way back but forgot to pick it up until a year later. When I went in for it, they told me I already picked it up even though I still have the pre-order receipt they usually take. Eventually the manager calls HO and they say there isn't much that can be done but offered me $10 towards anything. -___-[/QUOTE]
A year later? No offense but i would have told you PFO. I usually always side with the customer but a year lol, thats just a crazy amount of time to wait.

Did you only put $10 and that's what they gave back or did you pre-pay more and then only gave you $10? The latter really sounds like robbery... I usually 100% pre-pay for games in advance..

[quote name='Super Strokey']A year later? No offense but i would have told you PFO. I usually always side with the customer but a year lol, thats just a crazy amount of time to wait.[/QUOTE]

I can empathize with Usuyami here. I've had EB screw me around with a LE before and never got my preorder (if anyone cares, they put it on the shelf and sold it out from under me on the release day). After a couple of weeks pestering them you do forget. I remembered after ~3 months and went in pissed off to get my money back.

It's quite possible something funny could happen if a somewhat older game is sitting, fully paid for, behind the counter for a few weeks. It just takes one unscrupulous employee to mark the item as picked up, and he can walk home with it. This is why 2 things are supposed to happen. 1 - they need to phone you when they get something of yours in, which of course they never do. 2 - you're supposed to sign to confirm receipt of your item. In order to refute Usuyami's claim they should have been able to produce that old scrap of paper...

Shows they are good guys after all at that store. Happy you got your $25

I don't shop at the Square One store because of the arses that worked there wouldn't replace a new psp with dead pixels saying it was my fault, that was a while ago but still ruined it for me there.

[quote name='penetratingpincer']Did you only put $10 and that's what they gave back or did you pre-pay more and then only gave you $10? The latter really sounds like robbery... I usually 100% pre-pay for games in advance..[/QUOTE]

I had it paid in full which I believe was around $80.

[quote name='ragnar14']I can empathize with Usuyami here. I've had EB screw me around with a LE before and never got my preorder (if anyone cares, they put it on the shelf and sold it out from under me on the release day). After a couple of weeks pestering them you do forget. I remembered after ~3 months and went in pissed off to get my money back.

It's quite possible something funny could happen if a somewhat older game is sitting, fully paid for, behind the counter for a few weeks. It just takes one unscrupulous employee to mark the item as picked up, and he can walk home with it. This is why 2 things are supposed to happen. 1 - they need to phone you when they get something of yours in, which of course they never do. 2 - you're supposed to sign to confirm receipt of your item. In order to refute Usuyami's claim they should have been able to produce that old scrap of paper...[/QUOTE]

Very good point. No, they weren't able to produce any evidence of me picking it up and the manager told me he had no doubt that I really didn't pick it up but there wasn't a whole lot he can do.

[quote name='Super Strokey']A year later? No offense but i would have told you PFO. I usually always side with the customer but a year lol, thats just a crazy amount of time to wait.[/QUOTE]

What does PFO stand for? I pre-ordered the game all the way before MGS4 even came out. If you remember, there weren't exactly a lot of games to be played on the PS3 so mine was barely touched. I completely forgot about the pre-order until I was cleaning out my wallet a year later. Granted a year is a long time, but after what period of time of not picking up a pre-order does EB suddenly have to right to take my money without giving me what I paid for? If they were fed up with waiting, they could have given me a call at any point in time to remind me.

After a year old pre orders are wiped from the POS. how ever it is possible to look those up. You would need a receipt as proof and you would have all your money back.

[quote name='Ranzo']After a year old pre orders are wiped from the POS. how ever it is possible to look those up. You would need a receipt as proof and you would have all your money back.[/QUOTE]

I did have the receipt. They just gave me a blank look and said they still couldn't do anything about it.

That doesn't mean you should stop pestering them. They do owe you your money. Assuming you still have your reciept you should still be able to go back in and collect it.

[quote name='Usuyami']I did have the receipt. They just gave me a blank look and said they still couldn't do anything about it.[/QUOTE]

You don't sound like a real CAG to me. You go back and bitch until you get your money. Why do people take this shit lying down? The managers CAN give you your money. Tell them to do their damn job. Get the DM's number and if need be go all the way up to the RM. If that won't work, call up corporate.

Never believe a manager when he or she says "But I can't do that." From my experience working in retail, it's all bullshit. It's just a way for the managers to get away with robbing people. As far as the people telling you that you "picked it up" they most likely did that themselves. I've heard stories of managers going into people's fully paid preorders and "delivering" them to the customer even if the customer never picked them up.

And always keep the preorder receipts tucked away nicely somewhere. I always keep mine after being screwed by a store when they told me I didn't preorder a GOW: UE even though I know I put $20 down on it.

[quote name='Ranzo']After a year old pre orders are wiped from the POS. how ever it is possible to look those up. You would need a receipt as proof and you would have all your money back.[/QUOTE]

Ranzo,

I was told once by an employee that edge credit on a card never expires. I am just curious if in your experience you have found this to be true?

Whenever an employee for any company says to me "I can't do that", I tell them to put me in contact with someone who can.

Things to come away from this thread with:
1) Always double-check that you receive your gift/EDGE card if you use it.
2) Always keep your receipts.
3) Always escalate the issue if it's unresolved.
4) Always avoid Gamestop unless you have to. ;)

[quote name='Rastafari']Ranzo,

I was told once by an employee that edge credit on a card never expires. I am just curious if in your experience you have found this to be true?[/QUOTE]

true

[quote name='Nukkus']they have done this to kids here before, which is why i am barred from the gamestop at Halifax Shopping Center. I called them on it, they got pissed and called security.[/QUOTE]

Was this before they went EB Games too Gamestop or After The Name Change ?

i don't care for the employees working their .. the EB crew was more knowledgeable IMO and those people i know actually did play games ( not sure if the gamestop ones do or not )

[quote name='Doojobbie']I don't shop at the Square One store because of the arses that worked there wouldn't replace a new psp with dead pixels saying it was my fault, that was a while ago but still ruined it for me there.[/QUOTE]
Um, would you mind telling me who it was? I shop there all the time because it's my local EB and there's a Walmart right in the mall. I find the people there pretty nice. It's a lot better than the EB at South Common, which also has a Walmart right across from it, but the clerk refused my $8+ TIV games because she saw it at Walmart for $10. I was so shocked that I didn't even remember to knock down a magazine rack.

In situations like this I find it best to have a baggie full of glitter and a big steel toed boot...to kick over the magazine rack.

[quote name='Guerrilla']4) Always avoid Gamestop unless you have to. ;)[/QUOTE]

Not always true. Some are really good stores with really good people.

There is an EB Games at Steeles and Woodbine in Markham that is one of the best gaming stores I've been in by any measure. The store is clean and well maintained. The staff are tremendous. It's the perfect example of why it's not fair to paint all stores with the same brush.

The tricky part is finding out which stores to visit and which to avoid - because very few stores are as good as that one.

[quote name='ejamer']Not always true. Some are really good stores with really good people.

There is an EB Games at Steeles and Woodbine in Markham that is one of the best gaming stores I've been in by any measure. The store is clean and well maintained. The staff are tremendous. It's the perfect example of why it's not fair to paint all stores with the same brush.

The tricky part is finding out which stores to visit and which to avoid - because very few stores are as good as that one.[/QUOTE]

The store at Weston Road and Highway 7 is another example of a great store. Will and Bridget are among the best Gamestop/EB employees I've ever met, the store is always in good shape, and now that they're taking trades (FINALLY!) I don't see any reason to go anywhere else.

Very highly recommended if you're in the area.

I ended up "losing" (clerk didn't give back to me) an Edge card with over $400 on it... I went to my good GS when I realized it and they called document control and swapped it to another GC... Without the receipts, I would have been screwed. That's why I keep every GS receipt stapled together for each Edge card I have with the card paper clipped to the receipts in a fireproof lock box. And why I don't put more than $200 on a single Edge card...

bread's done
Back