Gamestop Throwing Away Guitar Controllers - YMMV

Ronin317

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I was in Gamestop tonight trading in my old 360 for a new slim on that sweet PUR deal, and also picked up a new mic for RB3.

Since I was buying the mic, the manager asked me if I wanted any USED GH Guitars for free. He says "We got a corporate memo to field destroy any we had in stock. Take em all, I don't care." And shows me the memo.

SO...for those of you who happen to feel like dumpster diving, tonight and the next day or so, you should be able to grab all the guitar controllers your heart desires at many GS locations... as always, YMMV. If there are any GS employees, feel free to confirm or deny, but the memo I saw looked like it was dated today, 3.9.12. Not sure if it's regional, either. I'm in Pittsburgh, FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sharkslope']Guitar/Rock Band games are awesome because girls love them![/QUOTE]

This!

My kids love em too.

A couple of other good ones are Lips and Singstar

I think for some they were fun while they lasted, but the format got a little stale with little innovation happening. Others just like to hate things people like, can't fix that. It's fine not to like it, but when people type spite, that's sad. Why enter a thread about music game peripherals if you hated the genre so much?

[quote name='sevendayrevolution']I think for some they were fun while they lasted, but the format got a little stale with little innovation happening. [/QUOTE]

I thought the introduction of keys, especially pro keys, in RB3 was a great new addition...but it probably didn't really resonate with casual gamers and non-musicians. Being a musician, it was a blast to play the real keyboard parts along to the original studio recordings of songs like "Just Like Heaven" and "Blue Monday"... Not sure how much further they could take it, though. I doubt we'll see "Rock Band 4: Now with maracas, tambourine, and saxophone!"...

Exactly, and look at how many versions came out before the keyboard. They saturated the market for a long time with the same gameplay, instruments, etc.

[quote name='sharkslope']Guitar/Rock Band games are awesome because girls love them![/QUOTE]
+1
Though they don't get played as much as before. Beatles RB still makes it into the rotation
Just Dance pretty much took over as the party game

Was actually hoping to hear success stories of people getting free controllers.

Been wanting to turn my RB1 controller into a Stompbox controller to use in Rocksmith. But would prefer to practice on a throwaway controller. Oh well.

I entered this thread hoping to read about some cool stories of CAGs scoring merchandise in a dark back alley dumpster - sadly, not many have been successful.

As a kid I used to dive behind my local Kmart quite a bit in the early 80's. Would sometimes score some star wars or gi joe stuff and be happy as a pig in shit.

Now that I realize how dangerous it is, I don't think I could do it again. All it takes is one dirty needle to get hep-c, or a scrape or cut could land you a serious staph infection. Happy guitar hunting folks, but stay safe.

Be discreet about this, people. If corporate found out about managers giving stuff away that was supposed to be field destroyed they could lose their jobs.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Not sure how it is elswhere, but in Indiana it is illegal to put electronic devices in the garbage. If it is illegal in your area you may bring this up trying to get some free stuff.

http://www.in.gov/recycle/5741.htm

http://www.ecyclingresource.org/ContentPage.aspx?Pageid=28[/QUOTE]

Most stuff here would get picked really fast, you can put anything out in the alley here, and it will be picked in a couple hours almost guaranteed. I guess there are people who cruise the alley's all the time looking for people's unwanted trash. They are probably picking it and gutting it for scrap metal. Also its not illegal to throw out electronics here, but I am pretty sure its illegal to dumpster dive, especially on private property. All the dumpsters are marked private property here with a sign saying that trespassers will be prosecuted or something similar, IMO not worth it for whatever crap GS is throwing out.

Your AMERICAN music is so bland, JAPANESE music is soooooo much better. I know I can't understand what they are saying but that DOESN'T MATTER CAUSE IT'S JUST BETTER! Now leave me be, peons, I have grocery store Sushi and Ramen to eat while I catch up on Naruto. SHUT UP MOM I'M BUSY!!!!! God.

bread's done
Back