Gamestop Trade-in ANY PS3 System for $200 credit

callmewoof

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I tried searching hope this isn't a repost.

Gamestop $200 trade-in for ANY PS3 System

Get $200 trade-in credit for any PS3 system traded.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change without notice. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 06/28/10 - 07/18/10.

*On a personal note, back in january they were only offering me $115 for my phat (non-bc) 80gb system. I think I might trade it in now for $200 instead. NICE!*

Additional Info:
For those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):
Squaretrade Warranty 30% Off 6/29 Only (then 20% Off Until Jul-5th)!

Use coupon code 07FOURTH. This is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT June 29th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT July 5th, 2010. Take care!
That works out to:
3 year product Care Plan $38.99
July 4th Sale!-$11.70
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total$27.29

Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00 This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, I might have to take advantage of this and trade in my original 60GB model since I don't want to deal with eBay or Craig's List and the Gamestop is across the street from me. The only thing that sorta sucks is that the only thing I'd get from Gamestop is PSN cards but $200 in PSN credit isn't too bad, especially with Playstation Plus just being released.

[quote name='callmewoof']Maybe, but I created this post 16 minutes before he updated his post, so technically, he reposted me, sort of, I guess. :p[/QUOTE]

No, technically it's been there two days and that thread is constantly updated.

Meh, if this is ultimately a repost, it can be closed. Just trying to help inform people who maybe didn't see it yet (but will now since he updated his title/thread to reflect it).

Got 1 on the deal. Not bad considering the hassle of trying to sell one. Bigger hard drive and a warranty. I was in. I used the extra $5 on certain trades I had in my e-mail. 4 games and some old leftover head sets and I was out the door.

I believe it costs $150 for Sony to do non-warranty repairs, so the $50 for a new one might be a better deal.

Also for those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):
Squaretrade Warranty 30% Off 6/29 Only (then 20% Off Until Jul-5th)!

Use coupon code 07FOURTH. This is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT June 29th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT July 5th, 2010. Take care!

That works out to:
3 year product Care Plan $38.99
July 4th Sale!-$11.70
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total$27.29

Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00

This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Anywho some people love and some people hate warranties so that's just my take on the situation.

[quote name='callmewoof']I believe it costs $150 for Sony to do non-warranty repairs, so the $50 for a new one might be a better deal.

Also for those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):

That works out to:

This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Anywho some people love and some people hate warranties so that's just my take on the situation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I too have heard good thing about Squaretrade...not to mention this GS PS3 trade sounds pretty good.

I have a 60GB, and though it hasn't given me any problems really...I have a strong feeling that it will die on me within 6 months. Hmmm...perhaps it's best to cut my losses now as it's only a matter of time...and this way, for about $150 of my own money I can get a 120GB Slim, including tax, and the ST 3 year warranty.

Should I?

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Yeah, I too have heard good thing about Squaretrade...not to mention this GS PS3 trade sounds pretty good.

I have a 60GB, and though it hasn't given me any problems really...I have a strong feeling that it will die on me within 6 months. Hmmm...perhaps it's best to cut my losses now as it's only a matter of time...and this way, for about $150 of my own money I can get a 120GB Slim, including tax, and the ST 3 year warranty.

Should I?[/QUOTE]
Yes and I hate clowns;)

Is it worth the $50 upgrade from a phat? I have absolutely no problems with my unit, so I'm not really sure what benefits would be.

Nm, I thought the slim sells for $250 hah.

[quote name='enufs8d']do you need to have ps3 warranty sticker in tact for qualify?[/QUOTE]

I've heard that MOST gamestop employees will check for this and reject broken seals, but YMMV on this. Depending on the employee or how busy they are or whatever they may not check.

man I would do this... but my Super Street Fighter IV save is console locked. :(

... plus, I really don't need a slim for anything.

From what I was told, it needs:
x1 System that works (powers on, not yellow death light, reads discs)
x1 AV Cable (hdmi, component, composite, etc)
x1 Power Cord
x1 Controller (was told 3rd party works here, ymmv?)
x1 charging cable (ymmv, one quoted me as need, another quoted me as don't need)
x1 harddrive (whatever its supposed to come with it needs it)

These were from 2 different GS employees over the phone, so YMMV but it's probably a good baseline.

[quote name='callmewoof']From what I was told, it needs:
x1 Power Cord
x1 charging cable (ymmv, one quoted me as need, another quoted me as don't need)

These were from 2 different GS employees over the phone, so YMMV but it's probably a good baseline.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that all of the above was required for me.

You guys might want to watch out if you plan to trade it in and upgrade because according to gamestop.com there cheapest new ps3 is 374.97.

They obviously jacked up the price as ps3 as ps3 sales are picking up and becoming rare. Don't know if in store has the same prices but you should check before you do the trade in so your not stuck getting ripped off.

[quote name='callmewoof']From what I was told, it needs:
x1 Power Cord

These were from 2 different GS employees over the phone, so YMMV but it's probably a good baseline.[/QUOTE]
I believe they require the RCA(red, white & yellow) cable and some stores may be anal retentive and demand that it's an official Sony one as well, since not everyone has an HDtv and would need some way besides an HDMI cable to play their PS3.:razz:

[quote name='ratm4eva1']You guys might want to watch out if you plan to trade it in and upgrade because according to gamestop.com there cheapest new ps3 is 374.97.

They obviously jacked up the price as ps3 as ps3 sales are picking up and becoming rare. Don't know if in store has the same prices but you should check before you do the trade in so your not stuck getting ripped off.[/QUOTE]

the stores have the regular consoles, they just try to push the bundles online. you can get a $299 120 gb slim in store.

If you buy on your credit card, many times your credit card will automatically give you an extra year of warranty. Pretty sure Visa does this.

I've heard rumors of Sony coming out with a new SKU to compete with the new 360 one. So I'm going to wait it out if anything, my launch PS3 is still doing 100% good, no real need to get rid of my baby.

[quote name='The Notorious ROB']Just a question does anyone ever get the extended warranty from GS?[/QUOTE]

They're OK, I suppose, but I don't like them compared to squaretrade. First, they cost almost twice as much ($50 or $60 vs SQ's $30ish). Second, I dont know how the GS warranty works (swap out your system for a new/used one? I dunno), but with SQ you get your original purchase price back ($299).

Let me put it this way: my friend bought a regular xbox 360 for $300 2.5 years ago, and it died last month. His squaretrade warranty kicked in and he was paid in 6 days the full $300 that he originally paid, and he just used that to get a new 360 slim. I'm not positive what they offer but I don't think GS does that. Heck, he could have spent the money on a ps3 or ipod instead and I KNOW gamestop doesn't give you cash back with their warranty.

But with a new system you might not even NEED a warranty, just if you feel like one or not.

[quote name='Remeard']If you buy on your credit card, many times your credit card will automatically give you an extra year of warranty. Pretty sure Visa does this.[/QUOTE]
Good point. Not every card does this, but it would be worth checking out because a lot of them do this and many people don't even know that it's offered.

I think I will trade in my launch 60GB on this deal. It has already been repaired by Sony once (was under warranty at the time), so I'm not too confident in its long-term reliability. I never play PS2 games on it so I won't miss the BC.

If you feel like it you can always just trade in your ps3 and buy it from Newegg or Amazon so save on paying the taxes and spend that 200 bucks on games you buy anyway :)

Thanks for the post, and the squaretrade deal too. I already had a slim to replace a 60gb. My wife's 60gb seems to be holding on, but been giving her problems now and then. So I think it's time to trade her up to a slim. Now if GS just has them in stock now.

Do you suppose Gamestop has a plan whereby you can do the 'system transfer' PS3 feature when turning in the PS3 for a new one from their store? It seems to me I might have to buy the new one first, then turn in the old one second.

[quote name='vanden9']If you feel like it you can always just trade in your ps3 and buy it from Newegg or Amazon so save on paying the taxes and spend that 200 bucks on games you buy anyway :)[/QUOTE]

Do you not get "tax credit" for the trade in? Meaning I should only be taxed on $100 for the deal on the same receipt, correct?

disclaimer: I've traded to game stop 1 time in my life, so I don't recall.

[quote name='hellmutt']Do you suppose Gamestop has a plan whereby you can do the 'system transfer' PS3 feature when turning in the PS3 for a new one from their store? It seems to me I might have to buy the new one first, then turn in the old one second.[/QUOTE]
Maybe if you're on good enough terms with the clerks at one of your local GS stores and they're not busy they might facilitate you doing a transfer right then and there.

But chances are they'll probably look at you like you have three heads and tell you no.
[quote name='EvilIA']Do you not get "tax credit" for the trade in? Meaning I should only be taxed on $100 for the deal on the same receipt, correct?

disclaimer: I've traded to game stop 1 time in my life, so I don't recall.[/QUOTE]
It would probably depend based on your state, though I believe I've always been taxed on the full amount of the item, even when using credit to knock down the price of it. YMMV though.

Very tempted to trade my 40 gig for this deal. I have had it for two years and my NEW protection plan from when I bought through Amazon expired yesterday. Piano black is nice but a dust and fingerprint magnet. I would like a nice, slim sleek version with a DS3. Hmm...decisions decisions....:whistle2:k:whistle2:k

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Yeah, I too have heard good thing about Squaretrade...not to mention this GS PS3 trade sounds pretty good.

Should I?[/QUOTE]

This is definitely tempting, my 40gb PS3 just started me freezing issues with playing bluray movies. It only happened on 2 movie rentals so far but people seem to say it's the start of the bluray laser dying on me.

[quote name='adamones']man I would do this... but my Super Street Fighter IV save is console locked. :(

... plus, I really don't need a slim for anything.[/QUOTE]

Just call Sony and they unlock it for you within a few days. This happened for me with Singstar. I forget the number, but it's super easy. They verify username and password then unlock it the downloads for you, this way if your HD crashes you can still redownload your stuff.

[quote name='DcupsOfJustice']Just call Sony and they unlock it for you within a few days. This happened for me with Singstar. I forget the number, but it's super easy. They verify username and password then unlock it the downloads for you, this way if your HD crashes you can still redownload your stuff.[/QUOTE]

He's talking about the save, not the games from PSN. Street Fighter IV doesn't allow you to transfer your saves to a diff consoles

I may just have to trade in that 40gb model I got from a Woot.com Bag of crap. Hell, Only paid $8 for the bag of crap. $200 of credit is a nice profit to use on other items.

I had purchased a refurished 60gb ps3 from gamestop march 2009. The console looks diffrent as it doesnt have the playstation logo across the system as the other ones do and it has a bright green sticker that says refurbished, void if removed. My question is will i still be able to trade it in, with those conditions? Also, does the Edge card stack up with this promo(10%)

[quote name='dramasetter929']I had purchased a refurished 60gb ps3 from gamestop march 2009. The console looks diffrent as it doesnt have the playstation logo across the system as the other ones do and it has a bright green sticker that says refurbished, void if removed. My question is will i still be able to trade it in, with those conditions? Also, does the Edge card stack up with this promo(10%)[/QUOTE]

You should be able to trade it, but you won't get the extra 10%.

My buddy has a 20GB he bought used, I'm telling him he is insane to pass up $200 for it. He would gain Wi-Fi (which he needs) 100GB and 80W max vs 210W, all for $130 - but he paid $150 for his PS3, so he is only paying $80 net in the end.

I just back from gamestop and traded in my old 60gb. It randomly stops working and its a bit buggy with the wifi. plus i never really used the backwards comparability. Its peace of mind not worrying about the system breaking down, which it eventually will and ull have to pay 100 to send it into Sony.

bread's done
Back