Gamestop Trade-in ANY PS3 System for $200 credit

callmewoof

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I tried searching hope this isn't a repost.

Gamestop $200 trade-in for ANY PS3 System

Get $200 trade-in credit for any PS3 system traded.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change without notice. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 06/28/10 - 07/18/10.

*On a personal note, back in january they were only offering me $115 for my phat (non-bc) 80gb system. I think I might trade it in now for $200 instead. NICE!*

Additional Info:
For those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):
Squaretrade Warranty 30% Off 6/29 Only (then 20% Off Until Jul-5th)!

Use coupon code 07FOURTH. This is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT June 29th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT July 5th, 2010. Take care!
That works out to:
3 year product Care Plan $38.99
July 4th Sale!-$11.70
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total$27.29

Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00 This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gettinmoney662']My original Sixaxis controller has sticky joysticks and they were going to charge me $80 to refurb it so I said screw it. I'll put it up on Craig's List and see what happens.[/QUOTE]
Sticky joysticks? As in sticky from soda or other perhaps indeterminate substance getting on them? If that's the case, just get some alcohol on a q-tip and clean those SOB's before trying to trade in the system again.

If you mean the sticks actually stick, try moving them around a bunch in a circular motion to 'loosen them up'.

[quote name='keestercake']So i could ditch my old 20gb ps3 and use the credit on whatever i want? never use ps3 and dont want a new one[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can use the credit on whatever you want.

Does anyone know if you can "load the credit" onto a giftcard (or buy a giftcard) with the $200 so you can gift it away or use it at a different store? I don't want to trade it in at store A only to have them out of a ps3 slim and not be able to use the credit at store B.

For that matter, does the credit 'transfer' between stores? It's been a long, LONG time since I've had more than $20 gaming credit at GS.

I'm torn. I picked up a 40 gig PS3 off eBay just 3 weeks ago and the thing is VERY loud. It's silent until I start to game and then the fan kicks in and it becomes louder than my 360. Is this normal or should I be looking to get in on this deal for a new slim?

I've already upgraded the HDD in the PS3 to 120 gigs, so the space incentive is not there...

Sounds almost like someone unloaded their pre-YLOD ps3 on you. Might be worth it to unload it on GS instead before you pay for another machine or $150 to GS. I don't know for sure if its dying, but 'louder than my 360' is a very bad sign.

[quote name='callmewoof']Does anyone know if you can "load the credit" onto a giftcard (or buy a giftcard) with the $200 so you can gift it away or use it at a different store? I don't want to trade it in at store A only to have them out of a ps3 slim and not be able to use the credit at store B.

For that matter, does the credit 'transfer' between stores? It's been a long, LONG time since I've had more than $20 gaming credit at GS.[/QUOTE]

Option one: if you have an EDGE card then they can put the credit on the card, which can be used at any B&M GS store and gs.com .

Option two: if you wish they can put it on a gift card, which works the same way.

Its crazy...i finally bit and traded in my refurb. 60gb ps3 and somehow got 265 dollars for it...he had told me it was some promo that was only happening in ny,nyc...anyone here from NYC had that same luck or was i a victim of pure luck...either way i didn't even pay a cent out of pockets and walked out with a brand new 120gb

I'm contemplating trading in my 80GB PS fat for a slim for the ability to pass DTS-MA & TrueHD via bitstream instead of Multi-PCM (and actually have the receiver display the sound format). Has anybody "upgraded" to a PS3 slim and noticed any difference in sound quality?

[quote name='mick16']I'm contemplating trading in my 80GB PS fat for a slim for the ability to pass DTS-MA & TrueHD via bitstream instead of Multi-PCM (and actually have the receiver display the sound format). Has anybody "upgraded" to a PS3 slim and noticed any difference in sound quality?[/QUOTE]

I heard from tons of reviewers that there is no difference between the two

I know its a different issue with the sound quality, but my friend's ps3 slim worked perfectly with my tv (hooked up video/sound through HDMI). When I got my ps3 phat, it creates a horrible static pop sound when switching between games/movies/etc. Same TV, same hdmi cable (tried other cables same thing. Tried other tvs, doesn't pop). I've looked it up on various forums and it seems to only affect certain ps3 models/tv combos. All I know is that switching to a slim should clear that up for me since my friends ps3 doesn't make that noise. It's all the more one reason why I'm trading mine in. And thanks to the reply about the credit evildeadjedi. :)

woof -
I caved in and ended up trading in my ps3 phat for the ps3 slim today. I hadn't realized it before, but I think you also had the same previous ps3 version (non bc 80gb) - just noticed it while pulling up this thread again.

[quote name='tkim83']woof -
I caved in and ended up trading in my ps3 phat for the ps3 slim today. I hadn't realized it before, but I think you also had the same previous ps3 version (non bc 80gb) - just noticed it while pulling up this thread again.[/QUOTE]

Lol did you have or ever see the static popping of doom too? Yeah, mine's the non-bc 80gb just like you said and it's driving me crazy. Plus the size, moderate noise (compared to slim), heat, etc. Plus in my case, I bought mine for $100 from my brother in law, and he got it from gamestop used I believe, so it really feels like mine is aching to die sometime. Plus in my case, I'd only spend $200 grand total for a slim (original $100 + upgrade $100), AND it'd be brand new, and a warranty, instead of my hand-me-down. So I'm convinced I'm going to trade it in this weekend, even if I have to go a few days without it if I can't afford the $100 right away - I'm secretly paranoid of them suddenly yanking the deal early from being flooded with near-death ps3s lol. :D

[quote name='tkim83']correct[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Someone is selling a 60gb PS3 on Craigslist and attached a picture of a slim.

My sticker was peeled from my 60GB (went into clean the fans once), do GS have anything against taking in consoles when the sticker was peeled once?

I'm so tempted to bite on this as I mostly use mine for blu rays and its starting to stop and skip on movies. And at least one movie, Crank, won't even load. I have an original 60gig I got in Sept 07, all ready have a couple PS2 (slim and fat).

My only concern is transferring between systems? Anyone had any luck with them letting you to transfer in store? That and what games mostly are system locked?

Was happy to get rid of my 40GB, considering how loud it was at times. I was even happier when I got the newest model of the slim that has even less power consumption than earlier 120GB models. 21XX model.

Traded in my '08 40 GB. It (the fan) did go into overdrive and sound like a jet engine at times so I thought to myself "Might as well upgrade". I had and still have a lot of credit so that's how I paid off the difference of $124.xx after taxes. Thanks for the heads up on this CAG!

I'm still contemplating if I want to trade in my 80GB BC PS3. I haven't used my PS3 in a while and and the partial backwards compatibility has started to annoy me even though I probably won't be hitting up my backlog of PS2 games anytime soon.

It sucks too cuz the upscaling made the PS2 games look sharper and cleaner. But, the $200 credit is a good deal for quick and easy sell.

Decisions, decisions....

[quote name='superdry']I'm still contemplating if I want to trade in my 80GB BC PS3. I haven't used my PS3 in a while and and the partial backwards compatibility has started to annoy me even though I probably won't be hitting up my backlog of PS2 games anytime soon.

It sucks too cuz the upscaling made the PS2 games look sharper and cleaner. But, the $200 credit is a good deal for quick and easy sell.

Decisions, decisions....[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, those are going for a good amount on eBay.

[quote name='callmewoof']Sounds almost like someone unloaded their pre-YLOD ps3 on you. Might be worth it to unload it on GS instead before you pay for another machine or $150 to GS. I don't know for sure if its dying, but 'louder than my 360' is a very bad sign.[/QUOTE]
Some games make your PS3's fan go into overdrive(GTA games/ Red Dead Redemption), so it isn't always that it's on it's way out. If that were the case, I'd be looking into having Sony work on my slim I got from the last August cuz both the GTA Episodes and Red Dead Redemption put the fan into overdrive mode.

Furthermore, my system runs very hot(top of the case gets warm to hot towards the back by where the fan pushes out the hot hair)once I've been playing it for a while. But then again I run it for about 4-5 hours some nights and some nights for even longer.

But the only time it gets very warm/hot on the top of the case is when it's running a game from a disc. When it's playing something from the HDD(like Mortal Kombat II)it's virtually silent.

So definitely test out a disc versus a PSN game before trading in your system to see if the fan goes into overdrive on both.

Of course, the PS3 I traded last year around this time was loading discs slow, which can be fixed by doing a file restore from the PS3's safe mode menu. Had I known that before trading it, I probably would've kept it.
[quote name='dino88']There are only 2 different slims, a 120gb and a 250gb, right?[/QUOTE]
Technically, there's two SKU's per 120/250 slim model. There's the nearly year old models(like the 120gb I bought last August) and the newer ones with the better chips in them.
[quote name='crazed llama']My sticker was peeled from my 60GB (went into clean the fans once), do GS have anything against taking in consoles when the sticker was peeled once?[/QUOTE]

It's YMMV whether or not they'll take a system w/o a warranty sticker. If you somehow put it back into place and it looks like it did when it came from the factory, then you should have no worries.

I'm finally dumping my 20Gb BC today. I tried selling it on Craigslist, but only got the shady trade offers. I only paid $150 for it, so I am happy with this deal.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I'm so tempted to bite on this as I mostly use mine for blu rays and its starting to stop and skip on movies. And at least one movie, Crank, won't even load. I have an original 60gig I got in Sept 07, all ready have a couple PS2 (slim and fat).

My only concern is transferring between systems? Anyone had any luck with them letting you to transfer in store? That and what games mostly are system locked?[/QUOTE]

I just bought the system, transferred the data at home using an ethernet cable, and am going into the store to ask for the trade in for my old ps3.

The transfer could potentially take a long time (my transfer took about an hour at home) so the answers you'll get is probably "YMMV" Best thing is probably to call around ask them about it. Make sure you bring a thumb drive with the latest ps3 patch and to delete all nonessentials (like games you can redownload off PSN) to reduce the amount of time. Also, you'll want to make sure you deactivate the ps3 you're trading in :)

[quote name='callmewoof']Lol did you have or ever see the static popping of doom too? Yeah, mine's the non-bc 80gb just like you said and it's driving me crazy. Plus the size, moderate noise (compared to slim), heat, etc. Plus in my case, I bought mine for $100 from my brother in law, and he got it from gamestop used I believe, so it really feels like mine is aching to die sometime. Plus in my case, I'd only spend $200 grand total for a slim (original $100 + upgrade $100), AND it'd be brand new, and a warranty, instead of my hand-me-down. So I'm convinced I'm going to trade it in this weekend, even if I have to go a few days without it if I can't afford the $100 right away - I'm secretly paranoid of them suddenly yanking the deal early from being flooded with near-death ps3s lol. :D[/QUOTE]

Ha! no i didn't have the static popping that you describe.

I tried playing RDR on both ps3s (I'm trading in my old one today.... bought the new ps3 full price yesterday)... and the new one is definitely quieter and cooler. Not that the previous ps3 was loud. But at some points while having the new ps3 on... I almost had to put my ear near the console to make sure the thing was on.

Yeah I'm gonna have to trade mine in. I can't stand how loud it is anymore, especially after using the 360 slim. Now I just have to beat some games so I don't have to spend anything out of pocket (should be able to knock out the rest of RDR today)

[quote name='callmewoof']I know its a different issue with the sound quality, but my friend's ps3 slim worked perfectly with my tv (hooked up video/sound through HDMI). When I got my ps3 phat, it creates a horrible static pop sound when switching between games/movies/etc. Same TV, same hdmi cable (tried other cables same thing. Tried other tvs, doesn't pop). I've looked it up on various forums and it seems to only affect certain ps3 models/tv combos. All I know is that switching to a slim should clear that up for me since my friends ps3 doesn't make that noise. It's all the more one reason why I'm trading mine in. And thanks to the reply about the credit evildeadjedi. :)[/QUOTE]

No problem happy to help. :applause:

I'm still trying to decide if I should go with this deal or not.

Traded in my 2008 80 GB. I only used my PS3 for Blu-ray's, and now that Walmart has Blu-ray players for $80, there's no sense in me keepin my PS3. Thanks a lot OP!!!

unlike almost everyone's ps3, my 2008 ps3 hasn't done anything. it has not overheat, freeze, or skip when i play my movie. im being paranoid now and i want to trade it in.

[quote name='david12795']unlike almost everyone's ps3, my 2008 ps3 hasn't done anything. it has not overheat, freeze, or skip when i play my movie. im being paranoid now and i want to trade it in.[/QUOTE]

Then just base your decision on whether you can afford the 110 bucks to upgrade to a slim. Also, consider that 110 is still cheaper than the 158 bucks Sony will want if you will need to repair your current console if something should go wrong.

Does GS always check the system? My brother's got the YLOD and I was wondering if I go in at a busy time if I could get away with it? It's launch 60? GB with BC but sony wants ~175ish to fix it, this way he can come out at about 115.

[quote name='Vinnyg32']Then just base your decision on whether you can afford the 110 bucks to upgrade to a slim. Also, consider that 110 is still cheaper than the 158 bucks Sony will want if you will need to repair your current console if something should go wrong.[/QUOTE]

True that is a good idea....I recently spend 100 bucks of my GS credits on games -_-. Nothing has been wrong with my ps3 so.....*knocks on wood*

[quote name='Zodiac080704']Does GS always check the system? My brother's got the YLOD and I was wondering if I go in at a busy time if I could get away with it? It's launch 60? GB with BC but sony wants ~175ish to fix it, this way he can come out at about 115.[/QUOTE]

fix it yourself and then trade it in.

I'm finally rid of my PS3. Traded it, a 3rd party controller and a fan attachment... got $208 for it. I bought it used for $150 and never liked it.

I plan on doing the blowdryer technique to fix my 40gb ps3, do you guys know what kind of questions they ask because i plan on giving them falso information then buying a ps3 slim

Prolly gonna have to hit up GS tomorrow to do this. Backing up my system to an external as I type. All I'm lacking is an AV cable and I know I have one at my ex's apartment. No way am I giving them an HDMI cable, when they don't supply one in the first place

My big decision is whether to trade and get another or just trade in and be rid of PS3 for good. There is only one game exclusive I feel I HAVE to play, The Last Guardian, and not sure that one game is worth having the thing sit around. Just don't know.....

Tough call.

[quote name='mrg']My big decision is whether to trade and get another or just trade in and be rid of PS3 for good. There is only one game exclusive I feel I HAVE to play, The Last Guardian, and not sure that one game is worth having the thing sit around. Just don't know.....

Tough call.[/QUOTE]

Might as well trade it in for the time being... that's what I was planning on doing but then I couldn't resist the urge to buy another. Ended up buying a new slim 3 days later.

OMG traded in old Fat out of Warranty dusty unit that was using up lots of power old 90nm very hot.

With $200 trade in a some games extra EDGE Card close to $240 in Credit.

New PS3 Slim for less than $80 bucks heck YEah.

Heck no one on Craigslist is gonna give $200 for a old FAT PS3.

This time GREAT deal by Gamestop. !!

Its likely they made a mistake I said nothing got Metal Gear Solid 4 and God of War 3 USed for $15 Each.

Blurays and Games look amazing I have one of the RARE Panasonic IPS LCD's IPS is an LCD type with little to no Input Lag or blur. And Super Street Fighter 4 looks amazing. And no Input lag. TC-L32S1 is the model number #2" got it for $350 on Amazon now its $700+ because gamers want the Best Gaming HDTV.

About IPS panels its what High end Hollywood graphic artists use Dreamworks, Pixar etc and IPS is what the iPad uses best view angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IRFtqfKtlw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

No Input Lag similar unit. Using IPS Pro panel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-ktFollVs

[quote name='MiamiStyle']OMG traded in old Fat out of Warranty dusty unit that was using up lots of power old 90nm very hot.

With $200 trade in a some games extra EDGE Card close to $240 in Credit.

New PS3 Slim for less than $80 bucks heck YEah.

Heck no one on Craigslist is gonna give $200 for a old FAT PS3.

This time GREAT deal by Gamestop. !!

Its likely they made a mistake I said nothing got Metal Gear Solid 4 and God of War 3 USed for $15 Each.

Blurays and Games look amazing I have one of the RARE Panasonic IPS LCD's IPS is an LCD type with little to no Input Lag or blur. And Super Street Fighter 4 looks amazing. And no Input lag. TC-L32S1 is the model number #2" got it for $350 on Amazon now its $700+ because gamers want the Best Gaming HDTV.

About IPS panels its what High end Hollywood graphic artists use Dreamworks, Pixar etc and IPS is what the iPad uses best view angles.

[
thanks for killing the thread

Just got in from trading out my old fat 60gig (yes, it was BC, but I never played PS2 games on it and I have a brand new ps2 slim for that anyway). I guess I got lucky because I took in one of those wired AfterGlow controllers and they took it. At least I now have two wireless ones. Total for me was $104.99

[quote name='petersa1d']I plan on doing the blowdryer technique to fix my 40gb ps3, do you guys know what kind of questions they ask because i plan on giving them falso information then buying a ps3 slim[/QUOTE]

you might not want to do that because it will do more damage to your ps3 than good. if youre going to do a quick fix use a heatgun and new thermal paste.

Anyone seen bundles with the 250gb sku in-store at the $349.99 price-point?

I know the father's day bundle is dead but I've heard about some systems coming with Little Big Planet/HDMI cable or the previous Uncharted 2 box-in. Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this has been asked, but cant you back up your Ps3 hdd to an external hdd and get all your games and stuff if u put it on a new ps3?

Yout best bet is to do a data transfer if your GS clerk is kind enough.

A ps3 backup is your next option but copyrighted saves(Rock Band 1 and 2, Killzone 2, Guitar Hero Metallica, DJ Hero, and more...) and drm data such as Rock Band DLC will have to be redownloaded. It is real hit or miss.

As far as I have read, downloaded tv shows and movies are gone forever if you switch to a new system as SCEA considers them the same as physical media and therefore can't just grant you another copy.

I backed up using an mp3 player on mass storage mode. Just make sure you have enough space if using something like that. Delete Home, Life, and large game updates as those are easy to get back. My Rock Band DLC is going to be some serious work to redownload individually again. I wouldn't have to do this if I was simply using the exact same console but installing another hard drive.

Pulled the trigger on this deal today. Traded in my 40 GB, plain Sixaxis controller, and the tortured and mangled composite A/V cables from my launch day PS1 (heh). Received the 2101A model slim and it's completely -silent-. I'm very happy with this deal.

bread's done
Back