Gamestop Trade-in ANY PS3 System for $200 credit

callmewoof

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I tried searching hope this isn't a repost.

Gamestop $200 trade-in for ANY PS3 System

Get $200 trade-in credit for any PS3 system traded.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change without notice. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 06/28/10 - 07/18/10.

*On a personal note, back in january they were only offering me $115 for my phat (non-bc) 80gb system. I think I might trade it in now for $200 instead. NICE!*

Additional Info:
For those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):
Squaretrade Warranty 30% Off 6/29 Only (then 20% Off Until Jul-5th)!

Use coupon code 07FOURTH. This is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT June 29th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT July 5th, 2010. Take care!
That works out to:
3 year product Care Plan $38.99
July 4th Sale!-$11.70
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total$27.29

Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00 This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want in on this, but all the stores around here require an official Sony controller and I'm not sure it's worth it when I would have to buy another one (already have a slim and 4 controllers with it)

Of course, I'm not sure I could even trade my 60gb in. I think the RSX is fried, and new thermal paste didn't help for more than a couple days. Anybody know of a miracle fix for this?

[quote name='nflsonic']I tried to go yesterday to trade in my 80GB PS3 (from the Motorstorm bundle) and the kid politely refused my trade-in, saying that I could probably get more if I sold it online due to being backward compatible. I honestly never looked online, so I took it back and went to check on sites such as ebay and Amazon. After a few minutes, there really isn't any huge increase as the average price for one is $220.

At least the kid at GS was kind enough to remind me to look online and check. But seeing as I already have $40 in store credit, selling my console online doesn't seem to be that much more worth it for the possibility of selling it for $20 more than what I can get at GS.

Plus, BD-Live on my system seems to be acting weird, creating a "No signal" problem to my TV.[/QUOTE]

Wow, most GS employees act like assholes nice to hear they all aren't assholes. I remember trading in my launch 360 a year back and buying an HDMI console. The whole time I was there the employee treated me like I was trying to sell them a stolen and or broken product.

[quote name='dino88']^Plus if you are buying the slim and your state doesn't charge tax on credit purchases, you will be saving ~$20 in tax with that $200 store credit.[/QUOTE]

Hmm if I recall, Florida doesn't charge tax on state purchases?

[quote name='confoosious']Yes, absolutely. It says so right in the OP.[/QUOTE]

Whoa...so that's an extra $20. I'm definitely taking advantage of this then.

EDIT: Two things...the Gamestop thread says Edge cards DON'T stack on hardware trade-ins.

Also, the thread says Florida charges tax for purchases made entirely with credit. Not so. I bought FFXIII entirely with credit earlier this year and was not charged tax, just $59.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dino88']1. I just did a quick system restore, the other option would have take 3+ hours. Before doing the restore, don't forget to deactivate the system from your psn account.

First sign in to your psn account and then go to:

Account Management>System Activation>PS3 System>Game>Deactivate System

2. As nflsonic said, you'll also need the usb cable that connects to your controller.[/QUOTE]
by quick system restore, do you mean the restore default settings option, or restore ps3 system option. i don't want to be waiting hours for no reason.

just finished trading in my 40gb phat. had to make 2 trips becuz the ps3 was set on hdmi output so when the girl at gamestop tried turning it on, it wouldnt output video becuz she was trying with composite cables. so heads up to anyone with an hdmi setup, be sure to change the output on the XMB

[quote name='masterchief2291']just finished trading in my 40gb phat. had to make 2 trips becuz the ps3 was set on hdmi output so when the girl at gamestop tried turning it on, it wouldnt output video becuz she was trying with composite cables. so heads up to anyone with an hdmi setup, be sure to change the output on the XMB[/QUOTE]

Or just hold the power button in for an extra 5 seconds at bootup (which brings it to a video-input select screen). Im surprised the GS employee didn't know that.

[quote name='jcwkings']by quick system restore, do you mean the restore default settings option, or restore ps3 system option. i don't want to be waiting hours for no reason.[/QUOTE]

Settings>System Settings>Restore PS3 System (choose the quick option)

[quote name='zedarkness']I have a 60 GB PS3 with a non-working disc drive. Whats the fatest and easiest way to take advantadge of this deal?[/QUOTE]

Any easy trick is to Pre-insert a Bluray DVD in the drive before you go to Gamestop.

When they power it up the Bluray Loads the movie or will eject.

Per the Gamestop training language and manual the employee sees the Drive working thats enough.

Or you say I was just watching a Bluray movie before coming.

Most likely your PS3 won't play games but Bluray movies still work then your are good to go this will fool the Gamestop people. 90% this will fool them

Unless your Disk drive is totally broken and won't even play movies. Then your chances go down to 50%.

Even then just load a DVD in there anyways to show them it works ejects movies etc.

And go big on the charm, and small talk distract them by saying you want to open and EDGE card and Pre-order 3 games. But tell the person doing the checking of the PS3 that. HE will stop his checks and do your pre-orders.

If my 60GB wasn't perfectly backwards compatible I might trade it in for a slim to save a bunch on energy consumption.

I'll keep the 60gig though.

[quote name='nflsonic']I tried to go yesterday to trade in my 80GB PS3 (from the Motorstorm bundle) and the kid politely refused my trade-in, saying that I could probably get more if I sold it online due to being backward compatible. I honestly never looked online, so I took it back and went to check on sites such as ebay and Amazon. After a few minutes, there really isn't any huge increase as the average price for one is $220.

At least the kid at GS was kind enough to remind me to look online and check. But seeing as I already have $40 in store credit, selling my console online doesn't seem to be that much more worth it for the possibility of selling it for $20 more than what I can get at GS.

Plus, BD-Live on my system seems to be acting weird, creating a "No signal" problem to my TV.[/QUOTE]

If they are going for only $220 on ebay, shipping + the crazy ebay and paypal fees will actually make it less than $200 in your pocket.

[quote name='callmewoof']Or just hold the power button in for an extra 5 seconds at bootup (which brings it to a video-input select screen). Im surprised the GS employee didn't know that.[/QUOTE]

Wow I actually never knew that. I always reminded myself to change inputs before changing TVs. Glad I know that now.

[quote name='Mahoney07']If they are going for only $220 on ebay, shipping + the crazy ebay and paypal fees will actually make it less than $200 in your pocket.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I ended up going back to Gamestop and traded it in. Got my $200, used my other $38 in credit, and paid the rest. Definitely was a lot easier to deal with this way.

[quote name='confoosious']Edge doesn't work on consoles.[/QUOTE]

But you just said...eh, nevermind :cool:

Called a GS to confirm and yeah, no edge.

[quote name='zedarkness']I have a 60 GB PS3 with a non-working disc drive. Whats the fatest and easiest way to take advantadge of this deal?[/QUOTE]

Find a GameStop employee with whom you have some rapport. Ask them if you can do the deal minus the normal refurb fee. If not, then you either fix it yourself, pay someone else to do it, sell it as a broken unit on eBay, or take your $100 (normal trade-in minus refurb fee) from GS.

Contrary to what the previous poster (MiamiStyle) suggested, don't attempt fraud by representing your PS3 as fully functional. Look for the best deal you can get but be honest while doing so.

I'm sure it's already been said so forgive me for not looking through all 14 pages, but is the slim ps3 much quieter than a launch ps3? When I watch blu-rays that thing is LOUD. I might be willing to trade in and upgrade if it were quieter.

[quote name='Machikunas']I'm sure it's already been said so forgive me for not looking through all 14 pages, but is the slim ps3 much quieter than a launch ps3? When I watch blu-rays that thing is LOUD. I might be willing to trade in and upgrade if it were quieter.[/QUOTE]

Mine is completely silent, especially compared to the vacuum that was the 40 GB I had previously.

[quote name='Abe_Froman']Mine is completely silent, especially compared to the vacuum that was the 40 GB I had previously.[/QUOTE]

Is it quiet even after 20 minutes or so of blu-ray watching? That's when mine starts to drown out the audio.

Similar to what the GS employee told me when I brought in my 80GB from the Metal Gear Solid bundle. He told me to sell it on CL or eBay for more money. I told them that after eBay and PayPal fees, it would be less than $200. In regard to CL, there were several 80GB BC PS3 in my region, with no buyers (same PS3s listed several times already).

I just told him that I wanted to trade it into Gamestop. He did it without fuss afterwards.

[quote name='unforeseen']Similar to what the GS employee told me when I brought in my 80GB from the Metal Gear Solid bundle. He told me to sell it on CL or eBay for more money. I told them that after eBay and PayPal fees, it would be less than $200. In regard to CL, there were several 80GB BC PS3 in my region, with no buyers (same PS3s listed several times already).

I just told him that I wanted to trade it into Gamestop. He did it without fuss afterwards.[/QUOTE]

Even if it were less than $200 and you only made about $160-$170 that's still cold hard cash which can be used for anything unlike video gaming credit. The problem I have with trading my system in to Gamestop is A) Video games are dying for me and B) Gamestop sells everything so expensive anyways.

So if anyone wants to give me money for my PS3 40gb I will gladly sell it, it's basically brand new and works flawless.

[quote name='Machikunas']Is it quiet even after 20 minutes or so of blu-ray watching? That's when mine starts to drown out the audio.[/QUOTE]

I've watched 1 blu-ray since I've had the slim and it was just over 2 hours long. I didn't even notice the PS3 running. With the 40 Gig between 5 and 10 minutes in the machine became a huge distraction due to the noise.

[quote name='tears2040']Even if it were less than $200 and you only made about $160-$170 that's still cold hard cash which can be used for anything unlike video gaming credit. The problem I have with trading my system in to Gamestop is A) Video games are dying for me and B) Gamestop sells everything so expensive anyways.

So if anyone wants to give me money for my PS3 40gb I will gladly sell it, it's basically brand new and works flawless.[/QUOTE]

I agree with both your points. My "solutions" - A) I try to play only AAA titles that I am interested in so it still a worthwhile hobby and B) With all the coupons that Gamestop.com has given out and the on-going promotions, it is a lot cheaper to buy them online than in-store.

I was going to upgrade to the slim model but they did not have any in-stock.

Traded in my 60GB after 3 years of ownership for the slim. I probably used BC few times while I had my SDTV. However, PS2 games look like shit when using HDTV. Even the upscaling capability of the 60GB didn't do justice. Not only that, I don't care for SACD nor the card readers. I certainly do not miss the vacuum noise. I'm loving this 2101A silent slim that uses less power. :D

Ah, so they still give $100 for broken PS3s? Not too shabby.

I was going to try go in there and play as if nothing was wrong with it, but my conscious got the better of me.

I bought a PS3 Slim from Gamestop right when it came out in August last year and it was making a popping sound right after I turned it off. I exchanged it for a new one and it makes the same noise. If you Google PS3 popping noise you will see that I am not making it up. I might take advantage of this trade in deal and wait until Sony makes a Slim that does not make the popping sound. I know it is the PS3 cooling down that causes this sound, but I have owned 5 different systems over 23 years and not one of them makes this noise. It sounds like the PS3 Slim is going to crack in half one day. :bomb:

[quote name='psxmax']I bought a PS3 Slim from Gamestop right when it came out in August last year and it was making a popping sound right after I turned it off. I exchanged it for a new one and it makes the same noise. If you Google PS3 popping noise you will see that I am not making it up. I might take advantage of this trade in deal and wait until Sony makes a Slim that does not make the popping sound. I know it is the PS3 cooling down that causes this sound, but I have owned 5 different systems over 23 years and not one of them makes this noise. It sounds like the PS3 Slim is going to crack in half one day. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

how bad is the noise like a pop here and there or like popcorn?

[quote name='Abe_Froman']I've watched 1 blu-ray since I've had the slim and it was just over 2 hours long. I didn't even notice the PS3 running. With the 40 Gig between 5 and 10 minutes in the machine became a huge distraction due to the noise.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, i'm probably going to have to do this then. What's the cheapest slim I can get at gamestop?

[quote name='Machikunas']Oh man, i'm probably going to have to do this then. What's the cheapest slim I can get at gamestop?[/QUOTE]

There are two models:

120gb - $300
250gb - $350

[quote name='lokizz']how bad is the noise like a pop here and there or like popcorn?[/QUOTE]

It pops (some people call it a cracking sound) about 3 to 4 times within one hour after I turn my PS3 off. It's not like popcorn (assuming you are talking about pop pop pop continuously one after the next). It does not matter if it's winter or summer it always makes the noise.

Setting - In entertainment shelf with open back with nothing around the PS3, so I won't have heat issues. PS3 is lying flat. Room temperature about 78F degrees.

[quote name='AionTelos']So, Do I have to trade in my system with my DS3? Also, is there any reason to upgrade to a slim?[/QUOTE]

"Hardware must have all necessary components for trade." - I assume everything that came with the PS3 when you bought it.

PS3 system - Console, controller, A/V cables, USB cable, power cord. ;)

[quote name='psxmax']"Hardware must have all necessary components for trade." - I assume everything that came with the PS3 when you bought it.

PS3 system - Console, controller, A/V cables, USB cable, power cord. ;)[/QUOTE]

Right right, that's kind of a stupid question now that I think about it...

my freaking surround sound system makes more electronic noise than my ps3 so im gonna keep it. just wish my 5.1 sound system would lose the electric whirring noise i can hear in it like it's spinnin the dvd drive or something. i just gotta pump it louder fuck the neighbors im playn a game!

You are not the only one in this situation, I had to do some surgery in my PS3. But it's still running since release. So does anybody know if they check for the void stickers? I would like to know to.

Thanks!

[quote name='negid']Do they check for warranty stickers or anything?[/QUOTE]

They tend to.

I just called my Gamestop. Even though my PS3 is acting up a bit, they said they'd still take it, but would have to take $46 or so off the top of it.

$150 for a broken PS3 is not bad, better than you could get off of Craigslist probably

traded my 60gb. It was starting to run hot, even during blu-ray. clerk knew a bunch, and had no issues with my buying the 120gb, then doing a return/rebuy, so I could transefer my data at home. Even checked that I formated my system correctly. (which I didn't, but he did infront of me)

[quote name='Remeard']I've heard people say that a third party controller will work, worth giving a shot[/QUOTE]

Do you know if they still get $200 for trading in a system with a 3rd party controller or does Gamestop deduct a certain amount for not having original equipment?

[quote name='opfreak']traded my 60gb. It was starting to run hot, even during blu-ray. clerk knew a bunch, and had no issues with my buying the 120gb, then doing a return/rebuy, so I could transefer my data at home. Even checked that I formated my system correctly. (which I didn't, but he did infront of me)[/QUOTE]
I should have tried that.

Sure was a lot of hassle backing up my HDD on an external, then come to find out that once you "restore" your data onto the new PS3, it doesn't copy over any digitally bought games from the PSN store. I had so many games to redownload, which nearly took the whole day. I know I didn't have to face this issue when I installed a larger HDD onto my old PS3 when I did a backup and restore. But that was probably because it was on the same PS3.

And I know I lost some saves that were copyright protected (Heavy Rain, Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing, etc.). I should have planned this a little better for the next time.

[quote name='psxmax']Do you know if they still get $200 for trading in a system with a 3rd party controller or does Gamestop deduct a certain amount for not having original equipment?[/QUOTE]
Thats YMMV. I lucked out and the clerk accepted a wired AfterGlow controller that I had got at BB a few months prior. Call a couple a head of time just to check...

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Thats YMMV. I lucked out and the clerk accepted a wired AfterGlow controller that I had got at BB a few months prior. Call a couple a head of time just to check...[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Your finger is da bomb. :cool:

Traded in my 80 gb over the weekend and am now in possession of a brand new, whisper quiet 250 gb slim. I also traded in a few games, which after the 50% trade in bonus, amounted to about 50 bucks out of pocket. I'm pretty happy with that.

Now if only there were some games I really wanted coming out soon...as it looks, I have to wait till at least September before there are some games I want. Damn.

[quote name='MiamiStyle']

And go big on the charm, and small talk distract them by saying you want to open and EDGE card and Pre-order 3 games. But tell the person doing the checking of the PS3 that. HE will stop his checks and do your pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

LOL what a great post... who here HASN'T done that when trading in something shady to Gamestop?

bread's done
Back