Gamestop - Trade in promo towards PS3 slim

wolfhunt

CAGiversary!
Was in GS this morning and they had just put up a flyer for a trade-in value torwards a PS3 slim. From what I remember:

trade in a PS2 (slim or fat), 2 contrrollers, and 1 memory card, get $50 towards a PS3 slim.

trade in a PS3 (and there where probably additional stuff needed) and get $150 towards a PS3 slim.

I was told this will work with the current 20% towards new promo going on.

[quote name='newlu']80 GB(Most Software BC w/ 4 USB) - $120 (8/19/09) and plus $150 credit..now that's interesting...[/QUOTE]
HA, I'd give you $160 and cover shipping!

[quote name='Kelegacy']I wish I could trade in my 80gb that died last year (bought used, no receipt so no free fix even though it was within warranty). Of course they'll test the system out. It works fine but when you put in a game...well, it won't boot up. Borked drive.[/QUOTE]

You DO realize you can buy a replacement Blu-Ray lens for like $70, right? They've been available for a while now from a number of sites. It's 1/2 the cost of having Sony repair it and it beats having to swallow Gamestop's shit trade-in promo value for it(since it would be traded in as non-working).

Just trying to let you know that you don't have to even consider this 'deal', since it's definitely not a good one.

As for the 'extra' stuff that the OP didn't remember that might be needed for the PS3 deal, it's probably similar to the PS2 deal in that you need another controller and some games with it. After all, they're not gonna just give you $150 in credit for a PS3 with one controller and all the cables, right?

Its not a bad deal to trade in your ps2 for that much since that is about half the price and almost the cost of one used but to trade in a ps3 phat...no thank you. I like my big george foreman grill. Thats a rip off.

I'm definately thinking about selling my PS3 60 (Not to Gamestop) due to:
BC: I don't even use it!I used to say I would use it alot and I don't even use it anymore!
Doesn't the slim use 50% less power?So that would mean less electricity wasted!

The only thing I don't like is that it has 2 USB and no memory card readers.....

If you were going to sell your PS3, you should have done it before the new system came out not after.

As for me, I don't really see the point. It's only marginally smaller, and I have a feeling that there will end up being at least one more redesign of the PS3 before this generation is over.

I was really hoping something for a lot more slim. This is more like the PS3 Average.

And as for trading in a PS2 for one, once you take out the tax cost by not buying from Amazon, you're essentially getting $25 for a PS2, memory card, and two controllers. What a rip off.

[quote name='bleak']If you were going to sell your PS3, you should have done it before the new system came out not after.

As for me, I don't really see the point. It's only marginally smaller, and I have a feeling that there will end up being at least one more redesign of the PS3 before this generation is over.

I was really hoping something for a lot more slim. This is more like the PS3 Average.

And as for trading in a PS2 for one, once you take out the tax cost by not buying from Amazon, you're essentially getting $25 for a PS2, memory card, and two controllers. What a rip off.[/QUOTE]
I agree but I can't go back in time and sell my PS3.So the going rate for PS3 60GB is $400?

[quote name='Sixtail']Why? You do realize GS's gonna go right behind you and sell it for $250 or more. right? And you do realize that your going to lose more then just the BC if you do this, right?

The logic of trading in a 60 gig PS3, a unit that along with the 20 gig will likely be the units with the highest resell price for years to come boggles my mind. What are people thinking?[/QUOTE]

You did read the part about Craigslist, right? As in, I plan to sell it for the same exact price as I would pay for a Slim.

Considering I don't use the BC, card ports, or any of the other wonderful features of the 60 gb (and the fact I only paid $375 for it), I really wouldn't be losing that much.

[quote name='snakelda']I agree but I can't go back in time and sell my PS3.So the going rate for PS3 60GB is $400?[/QUOTE]

A price range in the $300's is more realistic as this time period.

On the fence about this. My 60gb just got the YLOD and if I can get it working again I might trade it to them since I'll have no idea how much longer it will last.

$150? That's it. I wasn't expecting much, but I figured the TIV was already around $150. I was hoping they'd bump it up to around $200.

I remember when the PS2 Slim came out I swapped my old PS2 and 3 games for the PS2 Slim because of their trade-in bonus. Guess it was too much to expect something similar.

[quote name='el swordo']what a ripoff i paid $400 for mine and they will give me $150[/QUOTE]

It's a toy, not a hedge against inflation.

1) Gamestop is a business. Only people on EBay and here on CAG believe that buying a system for X dollars and selling it 3 months later after 5 hours of effort for X+10 dollars is a good idea. Quit whining that they (omg) MAKE MONEY on your trade.
2) Backwards-compatible PS3s will always sell for a small premium, but don't expect their value to exceed the latest PS3 plus a decent used PS2 slim.

3) Making the PS3 "ultra slim" like the PS2 was would be impossible. The fat PS2 was almost empty to begin with. The only reason it didn't occupy a volume similar to the Gamecube or Dreamcast right off the bat (both of those were not much smaller, mind you), was for aesthetics and because it had power adapter circuitry inside.
Back when the PS2 came out processors hadn't hit the heat dissipation brick wall yet so multi-core was neither necessary nor particularly useful. It's easier to put a single core in a smaller package than it is to put several cores in a smaller package.
Anyway, the point is that just becaues the PSOne and Slim PS2 were much smaller than their respective originals doesn't mean the PS3 can pull the same thing off, especially given the respective technology changes in the SKU gaps for each generation and the amount of time between them in the first place.

Well I called tonight and I have a 20 gig, I'm going to do it. System, old Six axis which I don't use AV cable and power cable are all thats reqiured 150 for any PS3 fat, not bad if you have a 20gig you never upgraded. Plus I hate to tell all you guys thinking about keeping your 20 or 60 gigers forever ? These things are breaking at alarming rate at the moment. Oh and good luck getting even 200 for any Fat on Ebay take a look they are not selling for 150 or 175 tons with zero bids. Craigs list? HAHAHAHA. Really its not a bad deal, if you figure it might break soon, you would pay 150 to get it fixed. Plus I get an upgraded 120 gig drive an Extra DS3 only have one. And the security of knowing I can have it for a while without worrying about its breaking 150 plus tax? A bargin if you ask me. Of course I'm not as cheap as some of you, but selling on Ebay at this time is not really an option just look at how many are on there and how many are not evening getting one bid, or bids at the end well under 100$ I think some of you are delusional what you can get for a PS3 on Ebay or Craigs list. $500 3.5 good years of use and getting 150$ credit = not that bad. Oh and the Whole BC thing, I have a fat PS2 and a Slim so I can play on those if I really want to, which I have had no desire to at all in the last 2 years.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I just don't see any reason to upgrade from a fat PS3 to the slim at all.[/QUOTE]

I guess you never bothered to read any of my post, then. Typical.

[quote name='tightclaws']I guess you never bothered to read any of my post, then. Typical.[/QUOTE]
You would be correct. I read the OP of the thread and this was my response. Didn't see a need to read every post. Didn't realize your posts were so important that I should be looking for them.

[quote name='lllGurulll']You would be correct. I read the OP of the thread and this was my response. Didn't see a need to read every post. Didn't realize your posts were so important that I should be looking for them.[/QUOTE]
If you had bothered,then you might have seen the valid reason for the upgrade which you casually disgarded. Just because you don't have or see a reason for an upgrade does not mean others don't have a valid reason reason to do so. Its very much worth it for me.

[quote name='tightclaws']Well I called tonight and I have a 20 gig, I'm going to do it. System, old Six axis which I don't use AV cable and power cable are all thats reqiured 150 for any PS3 fat, not bad if you have a 20gig you never upgraded. Plus I hate to tell all you guys thinking about keeping your 20 or 60 gigers forever ? These things are breaking at alarming rate at the moment. Oh and good luck getting even 200 for any Fat on Ebay take a look they are not selling for 150 or 175 tons with zero bids. Craigs list? HAHAHAHA. Really its not a bad deal, if you figure it might break soon, you would pay 150 to get it fixed. Plus I get an upgraded 120 gig drive an Extra DS3 only have one. And the security of knowing I can have it for a while without worrying about its breaking 150 plus tax? A bargin if you ask me. Of course I'm not as cheap as some of you, but selling on Ebay at this time is not really an option just look at how many are on there and how many are not evening getting one bid, or bids at the end well under 100$ I think some of you are delusional what you can get for a PS3 on Ebay or Craigs list. $500 3.5 good years of use and getting 150$ credit = not that bad. Oh and the Whole BC thing, I have a fat PS2 and a Slim so I can play on those if I really want to, which I have had no desire to at all in the last 2 years.[/QUOTE]There. I read it. Painful as it was.

I'm not concerned about the "alarming rate" you speak of.

[quote name='tightclaws']If you had bothered,then you might have seen the valid reason for the upgrade which you casually disgarded. Just because you don't have or see a reason for an upgrade does not mean others don't have a valid reason reason to do so. Its very much worth it for me.[/QUOTE]What part of I never read anything past the original post is not clear to you. I can't disregard your specific post when I hadn't read it.

Somebody is awfully touchy.

[quote name='puh_fifer']I just called my gamestop and asked about trading in a recently acquired ps3 20gb and they told me $90.[/QUOTE]

Pfft. Utter crap. I'd give $200 at least for BC...stupid 40 gig...*kicks dirt*

Sort of tempting.. does that stack with edge.. making it $165?

It of course sucks ass to be trading in something for little under half of what i paid about a year and a half ago but since I need a bigger HD (around $50) a new dualshock (another $40). All the sudden I can pay $50 more and get a slim with a warranty for a year.

I also had a bit of a scare with the PS3 not accepting disks, gears in the slotloader were messed up and I had to stick a card in there to reset them.. I've used this HARD the past year and a half... and I only feel like it's an inevitability.

[quote name='snakelda']I'm definately thinking about selling my PS3 60 (Not to Gamestop) due to:
BC: I don't even use it!I used to say I would use it alot and I don't even use it anymore!
Doesn't the slim use 50% less power?So that would mean less electricity wasted!

The only thing I don't like is that it has 2 USB and no memory card readers.....[/QUOTE]

That's what Rock Band USB hubs are for. Plug one in and make more USB ports. :D

[quote name='lllGurulll']I'm not concerned about the "alarming rate" you speak of.[/QUOTE]

Me neither. Where is the proof? Have any gaming news outlets picked up on this alleged "alarming rate?" Until they do, I'm not gonna worry about hearsay. Picked up my 60GB unit a little after launch, have used it a ton, and it's still chugging along.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's what Rock Band USB hubs are for. Plug one in and make more USB ports. :D[/QUOTE]
True but I decided against selling it due to it being at my house (I'm in my dorm now) and I usually just play RB online with other people.

[quote name='snakelda']True but I decided against selling it due to it being at my house (I'm in my dorm now) and I usually just play RB online with other people.[/QUOTE]

But the USB hub works as just USB ports if you decide to use it as such. I picked up a RB hub from Target for $5(coulda picked up a used PS3 powered one from GS for $2.85 instead) and I never looked back. I now have 5 USB ports on my PS3 thanks to the hub.

D: trade in might be worthwhile if you have a crusty old ps3 without BC I guess... Mine doesn't have BC but it's the most recent incarnation of the 80 gig, just got it this last Christmas, but the slim doesn't seem worth the loss I'd take on the trade-in. Unless the new ps3s turn out to be amazing (hidden coffee making or term paper writing features) or something.

[quote name='makesfive']D: trade in might be worthwhile if you have a crusty old ps3 without BC I guess... Mine doesn't have BC but it's the most recent incarnation of the 80 gig, just got it this last Christmas, but the slim doesn't seem worth the loss I'd take on the trade-in. Unless the new ps3s turn out to be amazing (hidden coffee making or term paper writing features) or something.[/QUOTE]

If they're anything like the fat models, you could use them as a cup warmer for your cup of coffee. :razz:

I only want one for the one year warranty.

Either this is only a regional promo or the employees at the GS stores in my area don't read their promo book very often. I called two stores thus far and neither have heard of this $150 for ANY PS3 promo, only the $20 bonus crap one. I mean, don't get me wrong, I could trade another $40 worth of games that I acquired from clearances or cheap credit without flinching to get a slim, but I'm holding off on pulling the trigger on this just yet.

the bottom line is this the ps3 fat is GOAT and if you dont think so you probably never had a true fat ps3 with BC

[quote name='lllGurulll']There. I read it. Painful as it was.

I'm not concerned about the "alarming rate" you speak of.[/QUOTE]

This alarming rate is deeply related to smokers or so people are saying.

[quote name='etschell']the bottom line is this the ps3 fat is GOAT and if you dont think so you probably never had a true fat ps3 with BC[/QUOTE]

If by 'GOAT' you mean 'greatest of all time', I gotta ask what you're smoking, so I can have some. The PS3 is FINALLY getting into the price range it needs to be to sell like it's last gen brethren did. I think someone at Sony finally stopped drinking the laced Kool-Aid.

As for not having a 'true fat PS3', I wouldn't spend the bloated $500-600 pricetags at launch for something I was only buying for ONE game in the future at that point(God Of War 3).

Even though I've harped about 'if they add BC yadda yadda yadda', I gotta admit that it's really not that big of a deal, since a PStwo slim will be cheap enough before it's taken off the market that it'll be a splurge purchase(unless they yank it while it's at $99 unlike the PS1 which made it to $49.99 before disappearing).

So if I wanna play PS2 games, I'll just wait till they're on clearance @ Gamestop for 75% off and buy till I'm content I have a good selection of ones I haven't played, then pick up a $50 PS2.

No thanks on this one ... the PS3 that does nothing but collect dust for me will always still do the same thing this one does ... y would I throw more money in the wind

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If by 'GOAT' you mean 'greatest of all time', I gotta ask what you're smoking, so I can have some. The PS3 is FINALLY getting into the price range it needs to be to sell like it's last gen brethren did. I think someone at Sony finally stopped drinking the laced Kool-Aid.

As for not having a 'true fat PS3', I wouldn't spend the bloated $500-600 pricetags at launch for something I was only buying for ONE game in the future at that point(God Of War 3).

Even though I've harped about 'if they add BC yadda yadda yadda', I gotta admit that it's really not that big of a deal, since a PStwo slim will be cheap enough before it's taken off the market that it'll be a splurge purchase(unless they yank it while it's at $99 unlike the PS1 which made it to $49.99 before disappearing).

So if I wanna play PS2 games, I'll just wait till they're on clearance @ Gamestop for 75% off and buy till I'm content I have a good selection of ones I haven't played, then pick up a $50 PS2.[/QUOTE]

dear cheapest gamer,

i have enjoyed my ps3 for nearly three full years. i got it for double what you would pay now. so you know that $3 a day i spent enjoying my gaming system was really not worth it ($300/1000 days). additionally, i own a system that has a true EE engine. no emulation software will ever match it.

[quote name='etschell']dear cheapest gamer,

i have enjoyed my ps3 for nearly three full years. i got it for double what you would pay now. so you know that $3 a day i spent enjoying my gaming system was really not worth it ($300/1000 days). additionally, i own a system that has a true EE engine. no emulation software will ever match it.[/QUOTE]

Why cant we all get along and game in peace? I bought an original 60Gb full BC, but no longer needed all BC and sold it for what I paid. Then went and got a MGS 4 special edition still with some BC. Enjoying that now. I am considering selling it to get a slim as I dont need any BC any longer at all.

My point is, we all have different ideas of what is good gaming. No reason to bash others for their own personal views on things.

i didn't bash anything. he bashed me. and i responded as to why i can justify the price i paid, why the timing and the bc leads me to feel my ps3 version is the greatest of all time. if he wants to attack a statement that is his prerogative.

I'm amazed that I haven''t received one response to my craigslist ad for my 60 gig, aside from the legion of Craigslist spammers. I've never received so many "Greetings seller" emails in my time using CL.

[quote name='strikeratt']no thanks on this one ... The ps3 that does nothing but collect dust for me will always still do the same thing this one does ... Y would i throw more money in the wind[/quote]

gtfo

[quote name='etschell']dear cheapest gamer,

i have enjoyed my ps3 for nearly three full years. i got it for double what you would pay now. so you know that $3 a day i spent enjoying my gaming system was really not worth it ($300/1000 days). additionally, i own a system that has a true EE engine. no emulation software will ever match it.[/QUOTE]

gb2 math class moron.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I'm amazed that I haven''t received one response to my craigslist ad for my 60 gig, aside from the legion of Craigslist spammers. I've never received so many "Greetings seller" emails in my time using CL.[/QUOTE]

I'm not amazed these are not selling on CL or Ebay, I'm glad I got the 150 from GS for my 20 gig non upgraded fatty, with 120 gig drive and extra DS3 plus more space and lower power usage I am totally happy I picked it up today. Its a beautiful piece of kit.

[quote name='tightclaws']I'm not amazed these are not selling on CL or Ebay, I'm glad I got the 150 from GS for my 20 gig non upgraded fatty, with 120 gig drive and extra DS3 plus more space and lower power usage I am totally happy I picked it up today. Its a beautiful piece of kit.[/QUOTE]

Did they need the original SixAxis controller or did you trade in a Dual Shock 3 with it? I'm just wondering, since I only have my DS3 as of now because I traded in the SixAxis when I heard they got $19.75 each and I don't wanna have to pay $40 for one from them just to keep my DS3.

I offered a buddy of mine and his family the DS3 in exchange for their well worn SixAxis, but since it's his sister and bro-in-law's system I gotta wait till he tells me they said yes or no.

If he doesn't get back to me by like 3 pm, I'll probably just say fuck it and trade my DS 3 in. However, it's gonna take 2-3 hours to format my PS3's HDD so my info is wiped out before I can do the trade later tonight, so I've gone time.:D

EDIT: Holy fuckin' shit!!! I guess enough assholes must click through on these fake ass replies people send for their CL ads since every damned reply I just had now to my ads for various PS3 games was 'hi I'm kevin and gooooooogle saved my relationship'.

Spammers should just die....period. Preferably after being impaled on a spike and slowly bleeding out. fuckin' waste of time.

I traded my 40GB (1 controller, AV, AC plug) for the $90 credit, and decided instead of the slim went for the refurb 60GB on EB, they screwed my order up twice and gave me two $10 GC. Since the slim doesn't support BC it really doesn't offer anything more than what I had, but the price drop made the disappearing 60GB just right.

[quote name='pun123']I traded my 40GB (1 controller, AV, AC plug) for the $90 credit, and decided instead of the slim went for the refurb 60GB on EB, they screwed my order up twice and gave me two $10 GC. Since the slim doesn't support BC it really doesn't offer anything more than what I had, but the price drop made the disappearing 60GB just right.[/QUOTE]

Hold on. You took a $90 credit instead of the $150 their own website says you can and should have received? You got screwed out of $60 in credit then. I'd go back and tell them to look at their own site.

Seriously, it doesn't specify a sliding scale between the PS3's, only that you get $150 for your PS3. So yeah, I'd definitely go back.

PS3 Trade Up Offer

Get $150 toward the PS3 120gig by trading in your PS3, or $50 by trading PS2, extra controller, and a memory card.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offers. PS3 hardware subject to availability by location. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See tore associate for details. No deals. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 8/26/09 - 10/04/09.

I didn't want the SLIM, I put the money towards a 60GB, plus I think my 40GB laser was starting to fail, and my warranty was over.

[quote name='perdition(troy']20 GB(Full Hardware BC with PS2 guts inside) - $90 (8/19/09)
40 GB(NO PS2 BC only 2 USB) - $90 (8/19/09)

60 GB(Full Hardware BC with PS2 guts inside)- $120 (8/19/09)
80 GB(NO PS2 BC only 2 USB) - $100 (8/19/09)
80 GB(Most Software BC w/ 4 USB) - $120 (8/19/09)
160 GB(NO PS2 BC) - $120 (8/19/09)

I called and got the TiV's last week for them and posted them in the GS trade in thread.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck was Sony thinking with so many versions?

[quote name='Sexbomb']What the fuck was Sony thinking with so many versions?[/QUOTE]

That's what we're all trying to figure out still. :roll: Then again, Microsoft has done just about the same thing. Arcade, Pro, Elite, XYZ bundle with weird color scheme on the case, ABC bundle with weird colors on the case, etc, etc.

bread's done
Back