Gamestop - Trade in promo towards PS3 slim

wolfhunt

CAGiversary!
Was in GS this morning and they had just put up a flyer for a trade-in value torwards a PS3 slim. From what I remember:

trade in a PS2 (slim or fat), 2 contrrollers, and 1 memory card, get $50 towards a PS3 slim.

trade in a PS3 (and there where probably additional stuff needed) and get $150 towards a PS3 slim.

I was told this will work with the current 20% towards new promo going on.

[quote name='etschell']i didn't bash anything. he bashed me. and i responded as to why i can justify the price i paid, why the timing and the bc leads me to feel my ps3 version is the greatest of all time. if he wants to attack a statement that is his prerogative.[/QUOTE]

No worries.

So to people who traded in, did they give you 10% edge card bonus on the 150?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's what we're all trying to figure out still. :roll: Then again, Microsoft has done just about the same thing. Arcade, Pro, Elite, XYZ bundle with weird color scheme on the case, ABC bundle with weird colors on the case, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm not defending Microsoft for doing being good but they have nice cute little "labels"

arcade, pro and elite.

Sony went totally for a clusterfuck.

[quote name='Sexbomb']I'm not defending Microsoft for doing being good but they have nice cute little "labels"

arcade, pro and elite.

Sony went totally for a clusterfuck.[/QUOTE]
I would count the jasper and falcon chips as almost completely different skus, but worse cause the old ones would be significantly worse, where as with the ps3 every version your getting the same machine with some bonuses

Heck all the PS3 models are easier to track than the ole PS2 models, or even PS1. Although i'm sure the PS3 model list will end up as large as the PS1 when its all said and done.

I was hoping that Gamestop would offer a deal like this. unfortunately it kind of sucks. I picked up a couple of ps2s this year for $10. If they let me trade in more than 1 I might consider it (I'd get $100 credit for spending $35-$40). Plus I have a $25 gc doing those surveys. But that means I still have to dish out $175 (and CA tax).

I recently sold a ps2 fat for $30 on craigslist and got several replies. but I think it would've been a lot harder at $50 even with extra controller and memory card.

I'm going to try and sell my PS3 (w/ BC) on craigslist... It's been upgraded to 320gb (will throw a 500 in the new PS3Slim I eventually get), and I'm sure that BC will come as a patch sometime in the future.

Hoping to get $280 for it, which is $40 more than I paid for it.

[quote name='jngx80']I was hoping that Gamestop would offer a deal like this. unfortunately it kind of sucks. I picked up a couple of ps2s this year for $10. If they let me trade in more than 1 I might consider it (I'd get $100 credit for spending $35-$40). [/QUOTE]

I asked about this. The GS I was at will only let you trade one eligible item toward a ps3 slim. So, one non-slim ps3 for $150 trade-in credit or one ps2 for $50 trade-in credit. Not any combination of the two offers. Nor multiple quantities of either of the two trade-in offers.

Wow,
What a poop deal.
I mean, I only technically paid $25 for my ps3 40gb because i bought a broken 360 on craigslist and traded it for it.. But I was hoping for at least a little more towards a slim.
That means I would still have to come up with $150.
Crap..
I guess if I can get the slim now, this early then its worth it. I mean, 40gb with no BC for $150, being as its a x5 profit on my end... Maybe Ill go tommrrow

[quote name='zenintrude']I'm going to try and sell my PS3 (w/ BC) on craigslist... It's been upgraded to 320gb (will throw a 500 in the new PS3Slim I eventually get), and I'm sure that BC will come as a patch sometime in the future.

Hoping to get $280 for it, which is $40 more than I paid for it.[/QUOTE]

That is what I was hoping for too, when I bought the 40GB 2years ago, and I know its been rumored for a while now, but I don't think it is going to happen I believe it was a ploy for more people to buy the SLIM w/o BC. If they patch it then PS2 sales would plummet, when it is the most selling system of all time. They don't make money off used games or systems, only off PS3 retail games. I would keep what you have, SLIM doesn't offer anything new but a few inches less, that is why I picked up a 60GB instead because I think they will get harder to find.

fuck!! I forgot I had $34 and change in credit on my EDGE card from returning Battlefield Bad Company and the dreamGEAR Shadow PS3 controller that I could've used towards my total I owed GS today for the slim.

All totaled, they took in my PS3 phat 40gb(which was starting to have the problem of a line scrolling up the screen from what I think was a loose AV port)and like 18 or so games I got mostly on clearance and from sales during the past couple of years.

I still have my two sealed GTAIV Special Editions, but I traded in my over a year old copy.

I still can't believe I forgot I had $34 and change in credit on the Edge card. I wonder if I can go back down with JUST the receipt before nights end and have them change the payment method to the credit, since I'd rather have the cash and burn the rest of their shitty credit.

I got like $130 something for mostly $5 clearance games....a steal if you ask me.

I'm gonna go unbox this puppy and see how teeny tiny it is. I just hope this smaller design doesn't mean it'll melt into a pool of molten metal after an hour or two of playing. But thats what warranties are for...

[quote name='Sexbomb']I'm not defending Microsoft for doing being good but they have nice cute little "labels"

arcade, pro and elite.

Sony went totally for a clusterfuck.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but it's really no different. In this generation, MS has had the Core, Premium, Pro, Arcade, and Elite "labels", as well as different bundles and special edition consoles. And as the othere poster mentioned, there is also the situation with the various hardware revisions, which are obviously a big deal with the 360 console.

The "labels" are pretty meaningless. What does "Pro" tell you about the system and what comes with it? Nothing. Unless you read the box or do your research, the label of "Pro" is actually less informative than "40GB."

The gamestop I went to said they only take PS3's not PS2's. Either way for only $50 off it's still a crappy deal. I probably would have bitten if they had said $100 off with some games of course.

Only problem with the $50 TIV is if someone decided to crack open that fat model PS2 and the GS clerks actually check the seal. If they check the seal and see 'void void void'(the residue that the sticker leaves behind), then they can and have denied trades because of it.

Of course, with so many GS stores around, all you have to do is go from the one that denies your trade to the next one and the one after that until you find one that will take it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']fuck!! I forgot I had $34 and change in credit on my EDGE card from returning Battlefield Bad Company and the dreamGEAR Shadow PS3 controller that I could've used towards my total I owed GS today for the slim.
I still can't believe I forgot I had $34 and change in credit on the Edge card. I wonder if I can go back down with JUST the receipt before nights end and have them change the payment method to the credit, since I'd rather have the cash and burn the rest of their shitty credit.
I got like $130 something for mostly $5 clearance games....a steal if you ask me.
QUOTE]
They didn't tell you that? I mean come on they must have scanned your edge card if you traded in a bunch of games so you'd get the 10% extra, that should've brought up your account for them to see you think they would've said something.

Well most fat PS2's have a hard time reading blue discs. You have to open them up to clean the lens or adjust the height of the laser for it to work.

[quote name='puh_fifer']I just called my gamestop and asked about trading in a recently acquired ps3 20gb and they told me $90.[/QUOTE]
lol gamestop is fail!

[quote name='ParticleReality']How much do Current PS2 Slims trade in for by themselves? Also when trading in a PS2, can the controller be wireless?[/QUOTE]
Aren't they like $70+ on ebay?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The only people who care about BC are poor people.[/QUOTE]
Fix your grammar! :bomb:

Even if you are poor, you shouldn't do this kind of deal... unless you're soon-to-be homeless or something. That's different scenario then.

[quote name='Casteor']Fix your grammar! :bomb:

Even if you are poor, you shouldn't do this kind of deal... unless you're soon-to-be homeless or something. That's different scenario then.[/QUOTE]

What was wrong with my grammar?

[quote name='blissskr']
They didn't tell you that? I mean come on they must have scanned your edge card if you traded in a bunch of games so you'd get the 10% extra, that should've brought up your account for them to see you think they would've said something.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised they didn't ask me if I had anything on the EDGE card, which would've had the little light bulb go off in my head and make me remember I had credit on the damn thing.

So far, I haven't heard one peep from their DM, so he must consider it a non-issue. I guess I have to be a total dick and try to go above his head for a regional manager, since I'm not letting this go. After all, the PS3 trade promo doesn't say anywhere on it that you have to buy the slim PS3 at that moment in time as soon as you trade in the other PS3. I could've done BOTH promos and went home for that day and come back and combined the $150 credit towards the slim and the credit from the 25% promo(35% with Edge) for Batman and bought the slim the next day AND used my leftover credit from other promos/trades.

[quote name='Casteor']Fix your grammar! :bomb:

Even if you are poor, you shouldn't do this kind of deal... unless you're soon-to-be homeless or something. That's different scenario then.[/QUOTE]
Casteor is correct. This deal is horrible. I had to talk a friend out of it.

Gettinmoney662, people (poor or not) do care about BC. It's called being a smart Consumer and getting the most out of a product (especially one you're paying over $200 for).

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Casteor is correct. This deal is horrible. I had to talk a friend out of it.

Gettinmoney662, people (poor or not) do care about BC. It's called being a smart Consumer and getting the most out of a product (especially one you're paying over $200 for).[/QUOTE]Unfortunately, Gamestop doesn't count on consumers being smart. They know that a bunch of ten year old's are going to be biting on this deal. Just because they can get a ps3 slim for half the price!

bread's done
Back