GameStop Trade & Promos XXVII: Values available on the website and on Android/iOS app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
WELCOME TO THE NEW GAMESTOP TRADE-IN THREAD.

The new thread format will be a work in progress but this first post will be the promos that are active and useful information, but also wikified. The second post will currently be frequently asked questions but may move it into the first post. Post three will be historical trade-in values from before the list.

Trade-in Values Available at: http://www.gamestop.com/trade

Also on GameStop app on iOS and Android

Upcoming Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Guaranteed $30/$40 on select games (Varying End Dates)

GameStop.com said:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to get shut down on long island. Just bought 300 dollars of assorted gift cards with my trade credit yesterday. 200 of which was ebay
I really think a few people had bad luck with a rogue manager or a uninformed seasonal employee.

On a side note, I only posted trying to help people out who were affraid they were going to be stuck with the unwanted credit, I just wanted to clairfy I wasn't trying to be snarky. I highly doubt they are going to limit it, but I guess anything is possible.

I just purchased a $100 eBay gift card and it was a very awkward experience. Dude wanted to know why/what I was buying. Then I told him about Best Buy black Friday being really good and he whipped out their Black Friday ad and kept quizzing me about prices. He finally just begrudgingly gave in.

tell them your wife/gf is a hoarder and she buys kitty figurines on ebay and the only way you can get her to shut the fuck up and leave you alone is to feed her ebay money.  everything gets awkward really fast and they stop talking to you

if you are big boned like me you can also say the only place you can buy 6XL shirts and sweat pants is on ebay

I just purchased a $100 eBay gift card and it was a very awkward experience. Dude wanted to know why/what I was buying. Then I told him about Best Buy black Friday being really good and he whipped out their Black Friday ad and kept quizzing me about prices. He finally just begrudgingly gave in.
I think he wants to suck gamestop's D

[quote name="Kotor15" post="13055447" timestamp="1448488470"]I just purchased a $100 eBay gift card and it was a very awkward experience. Dude wanted to know why/what I was buying. Then I told him about Best Buy black Friday being really good and he whipped out their Black Friday ad and kept quizzing me about prices. He finally just begrudgingly gave in.[/quote]

Awesome. Go to tellgamestop.com and explain the awkward shopping experience and await a call from a DM who will offer you a $20 gift card.

Well, at least that's what happened for me.

Had similar things happen in the past while buying Amazon GC's. Employee asks why I buy them so much, then starts quizzing me on why I buy less stuff at their store.

Awesome. Go to tellgamestop.com and explain the awkward shopping experience and await a call from a DM who will offer you a $20 gift card.Well, at least that's what happened for me.
Hey wasn't being mean or anything, just a super awkward dude. Probably cares way too much about Gamestop.

I had this happen with the Amazon gift cards a couple of weeks back. The guy talked to me really awkwardly for nearly 20 minutes about how whatever I was buying must be game related and could be had at GS without paying tax since I was using credit. Dude took way, way too long to just let it go and let me check out.

[quote name="Kotor15" post="13055484" timestamp="1448489079"]Hey wasn't being mean or anything, just a super awkward dude. Probably cares way too much about Gamestop.[/quote]

Doesn't matter. They're supposed to provide a positive shopping experience and if he made it awkward and uncomfortable he's doing his job wrong.

I told em that sometimes eBay runs a special on GameStop gift cards and I'll buy em to purchase stuff online through GameStop. Takes the awkwardness away lol. 

I've never even been asked at my local GameStop about buying credit with credit. I do occasionally remark that "it's weird you guys let us do this" which is usually met with a "yeah" and a small chuckle

tell them your wife/gf is a hoarder and she buys kitty figurines on ebay and the only way you can get her to shut the fuck up and leave you alone is to feed her ebay money. everything gets awkward really fast and they stop talking to you

if you are big boned like me you can also say the only place you can buy 6XL shirts and sweat pants is on ebay
Finish off by pulling out a mirror and talking to it like it is your wife/gf. Works every time for me. Whenever I walk in, things are just awkward and silent. I wouldn't want my transactions to be any other way. I never get bugged to pre-order or purchase disk protection.

Finish off by pulling out a mirror and talking to it like it is your wife/gf. Works every time for me. Whenever I walk in, things are just awkward and silent. I wouldn't want my transactions to be any other way. I never get bugged to pre-order or purchase disk protection.
lol...

I'm lucky that GS is rarely awkward compared to most other stores. Nothing compares to the "happy to tell you they're not commissioned " but stalk you anyway Best Buy old men employees. Had a kid try to sell me on antivirus software for the iPad I bought my mom saying "I make viruses " basically admitting to me he's a criminal. But worst ever was the Video Calibrater man trying to upsell me on all their $200 hdmi and power conditioner b.s. He might have actually uttered the words "loudness war."

The only bad experiences at GS are when certain stores still try to make you think you HAVE to preorder or else you won't be able to find a game until weeks after release when the next shipment comes. Or you know, go to the friggan Khols next door let alone Walmart that has two dozen copies just sitting there.

I got an ebay gift card yesterday. I'm confused as to why when I try to apply my ebay gift card to my purchase (purcase being a Best Buy gift card email delivered), it just keeps giving me a sorry something went wrong error (haven't really made any purchases in a while with my ebay account and I used it only a few times in the past). I don't want to confirm payment and end up paying for a gift card from my bank. Tried reading back to see if anyone else had this problem but mind is boggled and trying to get to bed. Guess I'll miss out on the two items I'm trying to get.

I got an ebay gift card yesterday. I'm confused as to why when I try to apply my ebay gift card to my purchase (purcase being a Best Buy gift card email delivered), it just keeps giving me a sorry something went wrong error (haven't really made any purchases in a while with my ebay account and I used it only a few times in the past). I don't want to confirm payment and end up paying for a gift card from my bank. Tried reading back to see if anyone else had this problem but mind is boggled and trying to get to bed. Guess I'll miss out on the two items I'm trying to get.
It takes at some time for the eBay gift card to activate

Out of curiosity, when you have a trade do they put on a designated "Trade In" card or a generic gift card? Or did you happen to cash out once already and repurchased Gamestop Gift Cards via Paypal gifts after buying an ebay card? The reason I ask is that yesterday, the employee in DFW told me "Sorry man, but can't buy a gift card with trade credit except for gaming-related (PS, XBL)" .... and reiterated trade credit.

This led me to believe they are simply treating trade cards differently from actual Gamestop Gift Cards. I do know that on the receipts they tag a trade card specifically as a "TRADE CARD," while gift cards carry the "GIFT CARD" designation. If the problem is simply the TYPE of cards we are using (hence some of the varied results), then the obvious work-around is to just buy a generic gamestop gift card (online or in store) to get it off of the trade card.

I know their quarterly report came officially out yesterday (like a 10% drop). I suspect this change in policy for POSA gift cards is more of a knee-jerk reaction by the company as they prepared to deliver the bad news, as one of their many steps they're taking to ensure a better 4Q.

Gotten to the point of having to verify my paypal and then it gives me a different checkout screen. It let me apply gift card but then when I go through paypal it is giving me an error. Guess I have to wait a little longer but this is a step further I hope. edit - paypal was set to a very old address as its primary, billing address, changed it... I feel like a dinosaur. rawr...

The whole retail posa gift cards market works because all retailers share the fraud burden but profit off selling their cards in other stores.

So GameStop takes the loss when someone brings a bunch of flips in and buys $500 to shell gas, but makes up for it in profits from selling GameStop gift cards in shell stations, grocery stores, Walgreens, etc.

I'm sure someone at GameStop corporate has been monitoring this and reporting on best guesses for what they make vs lose on posa and trade credit.

I would really be shocked if they were losing out because of allowing trade credit to posa cards. There is tons of fraud on those things and having trade credit go to them isn't even much of a loss comparatively.

Last edited:
Some pretty crappy trade-in values. Can't believe Halo 5 is only fetching ~$28.

Here's to hoping Hastings brings back their trade-in promo, where you were able to get $50 for most newer games last year. Also please, please, please bring back the $250 trade-in value for Xbox One and PS4 500gb systems Gamestop.

Out of curiosity, when you have a trade do they put on a designated "Trade In" card or a generic gift card? Or did you happen to cash out once already and repurchased Gamestop Gift Cards via Paypal gifts after buying an ebay card? The reason I ask is that yesterday, the employee in DFW told me "Sorry man, but can't buy a gift card with trade credit except for gaming-related (PS, XBL)" .... and reiterated trade credit.

This led me to believe they are simply treating trade cards differently from actual Gamestop Gift Cards. I do know that on the receipts they tag a trade card specifically as a "TRADE CARD," while gift cards carry the "GIFT CARD" designation. If the problem is simply the TYPE of cards we are using (hence some of the varied results), then the obvious work-around is to just buy a generic gamestop gift card (online or in store) to get it off of the trade card.

I know their quarterly report came officially out yesterday (like a 10% drop). I suspect this change in policy for POSA gift cards is more of a knee-jerk reaction by the company as they prepared to deliver the bad news, as one of their many steps they're taking to ensure a better 4Q.
Shouldn't matter. When I traded in my PS4 a couple weeks ago I got a gift card in the amount of $250. Although I didn't use my gift card right there and then to buy an ebay gift card, I went to another GS and had no issues whatsoever buying an ebay gift card in the amount of $250. If one store is giving you problems, go to another store in your city.

Also somebody else reported that they bought an ebay gift card yesterday, so I don't think they had a change of policy.

Shouldn't matter. When I traded in my PS4 a couple weeks ago I got a gift card in the amount of $250. Although I didn't use my gift card right there and then to buy an ebay gift card, I went to another GS and had no issues whatsoever buying an ebay gift card in the amount of $250. If one store is giving you problems, go to another store in your city.

Also somebody else reported that they bought an ebay gift card yesterday, so I don't think they had a change of policy.
I've been to 7 in a 50 mile radius that spans two districts in the last week.. All denied on $25 gas cards, $25 amazon cards and the ebay cards. Stores that I've never had an issue at in the past with picking up GCs with Trade Cads.

The reason I asked the one or two saying they've gotten one in the past two days is that there are a multitude of those getting denied (increasing in number each day), in areas that it was not an issue in the past.

I was denied Amazon GC with my trade credit yesterday. Went to another store 15 minutes away and was able to pick one up with no problem.  I have purchased numerous GCs with my credit at these stores before, so the change of use with credit is spreading.

Yeah they don't lose much to Shell/Starbucks/EBay, given that 360 out of 365 days a year their TIVs are god awful. So they lost $5 trade value on Arkham Knight to EBay, they'll make it back selling that nasty scratchy missing manual disc for $56.99 to someone's Mom.

So just to make sure, the system doesn't block the sale of Shell cards right? Just YMMV Employee discretion? I've been holding off on them and having to actually pay for gas which hurts bc Premium life all because some people started saying they weren't allowing the sales at the registers anymore. Anyone care to tell me I'm wrong?!

So just to make sure, the system doesn't block the sale of Shell cards right? Just YMMV Employee discretion? I've been holding off on them and having to actually pay for gas which hurts bc Premium life all because some people started saying they weren't allowing the sales at the registers anymore. Anyone care to tell me I'm wrong?!
The POS doesn't block it. It's only the employee that can.

Ya'll are doing it wrong.  You don't pull out what you're paying with until the end.

The majority of the time I swipe my trade card they ask me "debit or credit?"

Ya'll are doing it wrong. You don't pull out what you're paying with until the end.

The majority of the time I swipe my trade card they ask me "debit or credit?"
thats what i do, since they changed the system where employees dont have to type in your pin I never had any problems. No what are your buying with $500 amazon gc questions. Lots of winter help right now, so you won't get the wannabe managers asking questions.

I've been to 7 in a 50 mile radius that spans two districts in the last week.. All denied on $25 gas cards, $25 amazon cards and the ebay cards. Stores that I've never had an issue at in the past with picking up GCs with Trade Cads.

The reason I asked the one or two saying they've gotten one in the past two days is that there are a multitude of those getting denied (increasing in number each day), in areas that it was not an issue in the past.
Interesting. Wonder if it'll blow over after a couple days or weeks.

I returned some games from the B2G1 Free and i got the price for all 3 games instead of just 2 @_@ 

I guess the GS guy fucked up badly, even though he checked the receipt and scanned it multiple times 

as anyone tried buying visa gift cards with a trade card or power ups reward card?     one of my credit cards allows payments with gift cards so i rather make payments.  don't need anything from gamestop anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back