GameStop Trade & Promos XXVII: Values available on the website and on Android/iOS app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
WELCOME TO THE NEW GAMESTOP TRADE-IN THREAD.

The new thread format will be a work in progress but this first post will be the promos that are active and useful information, but also wikified. The second post will currently be frequently asked questions but may move it into the first post. Post three will be historical trade-in values from before the list.

Trade-in Values Available at: http://www.gamestop.com/trade

Also on GameStop app on iOS and Android

Upcoming Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Guaranteed $30/$40 on select games (Varying End Dates)

GameStop.com said:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there somewhere I can find a list of what gift cards I'm allowed to purchase with trade credit?

I know there's no Ebay or Amazon, and from what I could tell from a search no gas cards either.  I also searched the GS site and couldn't find more food places besides Burger King or Domino's.

Is there somewhere I can find a list of what gift cards I'm allowed to purchase with trade credit?

I know there's no Ebay or Amazon, and from what I could tell from a search no gas cards either. I also searched the GS site and couldn't find more food places besides Burger King or Domino's.
ive seen papa johns, applebees, wendys and taco bell in store as well. i dont know of any list though, i just know the amazon cards are gone and visa cards are a no go. several people have reported the ebay and shell cards are a no go.

I know there's no Ebay or Amazon, and from what I could tell from a search no gas cards either. I also searched the GS site and couldn't find more food places besides Burger King or Domino's.
The other gift cards to add to what ritchard mentioned I can buy at GS that I find useful are Netflix, Uber, and Chipotle.

The other gift cards to add to what ritchard mentioned I can buy at GS that I find useful are Netflix, Uber, and Chipotle.
We have Dairy Queen if you consider that food. I only go for the Blizzards and stack the BOGO coupon. Did someone also include Taco Bell? Lots of prior gas jokes..... :whistle2:&

I have also never had or heard of any issues purchasing the following GC with trade credit:

Apple Apps/ITunes

Darden (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Longhorn Steakhouse, etc.)

Gaming Currency (Xbox, Nintendo, PlayStation)

Google Play

Subway

Just saw this and I live in Texas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/5rglfo/trade_credit_is_now_taxable/

So much for buying systems and other stuff at GameStop. Everything is going to BB on my BB credit card now. fuck.
MakeAmericaGreatAgain-1n6car7.jpg

Just saw this and I live in Texas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/5rglfo/trade_credit_is_now_taxable/

So much for buying systems and other stuff at GameStop. Everything is going to BB on my BB credit card now. fuck.
Bad news. This is effectively taking $50 of my credit based on the systems I have paid off within the next month.

Feel like my previous trades should be given a 8.25% bonus. Or at least some kind of announcement ahead of time. Pretty ticked.

Hope this doesn't happen in Illinois until after the Switch releases :pray:
I hope so too. When Amazon started charging tax, I practically stopped shopping there anymore. Don't want that to happen to GameStop too with all the trade credit I have there.

Anyone read this? It's all over the GameStop reddit page: http://kotaku.com/new-gamestop-program-leads-employees-to-lie-to-customer-1791874332

For those who don't want to click the link because Kotaku:

Have you gone to GameStop over the past few months and tried to buy a new game? Have they told you that it’s not in stock? They may simply be lying to you, fueled by a new program that discourages GameStop salespeople from selling unopened copies of video games.

The program, called “Circle of Life,” gives each GameStop store different percentage quotas for 1) pre-orders; 2) reward card subscriptions; 3) used game sales; and 4) game trade-ins. Each of these quotas is based on the store’s total transactions. Pre-orders and reward cards subscriptions are based on the number of transactions, while used game sales and trade-ins are based on the total dollar value of transactions. If a store’s quota for used game sales is 30%, and the store sells $1,000 worth of merchandise, GameStop expects at least $300 of that merchandise to be pre-owned.

So if someone walks into GameStop and picks up, say, a brand new copy of Yakuza 0 without 1) pre-ordering another game, 2) subscribing for a new rewards card, 3) buying a used game, or 4) trading in some games to help pay for it, then the transaction will knock down all four percentages.

The more new games an employee sells, the more used games they’ll have to sell to make up for it. In other words, according to salespeople speaking to Kotaku and elsewhere on the internet, GameStop is incentivizing employees to stop people from buying new games and hardware. GameStop staff say the company has threatened to fire people who don’t hit these quotas, which is leading to all sorts of scuzzy tactics.

“We are telling people we don’t have new systems in stock so we won’t take a $300 or $400 dollar hit on our pre-owned numbers,” one GameStop employee told me in an e-mail, requesting anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to press. “This is company wide and in discussions with my peers it is a common practice. We also tell customers we don’t have copies of new games in stock when they are on sale—for example, Watch Dogs 2 is currently $29.99 new and $54.99 pre-owned. We just tell them we don’t have the new one in stock and shuffle them out the door.”

The Circle of Life program, which began late last year but ramped up in early 2017 according to staff, attaches a specific “COL” score to each employee and each store. Each of the four categories represents 25% of that total COL score. So if a store hits their quotas for pre-orders and rewards cards, but not for trade-ins and used games, their COL will be 50%. If an employee hits all four of his quotas, he’ll get a COL of 100%.

GameStop staff have told me that corporate managers are monitoring both stores and individual employees, asking everyone to get a COL score of at least 75% by hitting at least three of their four quotas. If a store is hitting their COL targets but one salesperson is not, that salesperson may face punishment or even lose their job, according to company employees.

When contacted by Kotaku, GameStop’s corporate office sent over the following statement: “All of GameStop’s internal programs are designed to provide our customers the best value in all their video game purchases, including new and pre-owned merchandise. With any program, opportunities arise for improvement and we will continue to refine it to equip our knowledgeable store associates to provide a great store experience.”

Customers have long complained about GameStop’s tendency to push pre-owned games and pre-orders, but this new Circle of Life program has taken forcefulness to a new level. Employees across the web are complaining about this new practice, which they say punishes them for doing their jobs. On the GameStop Reddit, employees have gathered to share gripes and tips for hitting their COL numbers so they don’t get fired.

But these numbers are often out of the staff’s control. During game launch events, for example, GameStop employees will usually sell nothing but new games, damaging their percentages and therefore lowering their COL scores.

“The other day working the RE7/Kingdom Hearts launch we were telling walk-in (non-reserve) customers that we didn’t have the games in stock or that they were only for pre-orders in order to not sell new copies of games,” said a GameStop employee. “It’s that bad.”

A second employee also said they found themselves in trouble after selling a bunch of new games last Tuesday, during the launch of Resident Evil 7, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, and Tales of Berseria. “Now I’m fucked for the week,” that employee said. “Now I have to sell way more pre-owned this week.”

“Circle of Life” has long been a buzzword at GameStop, which makes the bulk of their profits off sales of pre-owned games and hardware, much to the dismay of video game publishers. In GameStop’s eyes, the transaction of video games is meant to be circular: You buy a game, trade it in, and use the extra cash to buy another game—ideally pre-owned.

Over the past few years, GameStop has gone through a number of policies to encourage pre-orders and reward card subscriptions, so some employees are hoping that the Circle of Life program will soon go away. But for now, it’s leading to a lot of stress.

“This has all been under the guise of ‘doing better for the customer’ and ‘giving the customer what they want/a better value’ which is definitely not true,” said a GameStop employee. “Why would I get reserves if it’s going to lead to a new sale? Why would I sell you a new game that you’re excited about if it’s going to hurt my numbers at the end of the day? Why would I sell you a new system if I’m going to be fired for doing so? It doesn’t make sense.”

Geez. Now I feel bad for buying new games from my store :( Hopefully this article gets corporate lots of negative attention and they ditch the CoL thing

Anyone read this? It's all over the GameStop reddit page: http://kotaku.com/new-gamestop-program-leads-employees-to-lie-to-customer-1791874332

For those who don't want to click the link because Kotaku:

Have you gone to GameStop over the past few months and tried to buy a new game? Have they told you that it’s not in stock? They may simply be lying to you, fueled by a new program that discourages GameStop salespeople from selling unopened copies of video games.

The program, called “Circle of Life,” gives each GameStop store different percentage quotas for 1) pre-orders; 2) reward card subscriptions; 3) used game sales; and 4) game trade-ins. Each of these quotas is based on the store’s total transactions. Pre-orders and reward cards subscriptions are based on the number of transactions, while used game sales and trade-ins are based on the total dollar value of transactions. If a store’s quota for used game sales is 30%, and the store sells $1,000 worth of merchandise, GameStop expects at least $300 of that merchandise to be pre-owned.

So if someone walks into GameStop and picks up, say, a brand new copy of Yakuza 0 without 1) pre-ordering another game, 2) subscribing for a new rewards card, 3) buying a used game, or 4) trading in some games to help pay for it, then the transaction will knock down all four percentages.

The more new games an employee sells, the more used games they’ll have to sell to make up for it. In other words, according to salespeople speaking to Kotaku and elsewhere on the internet, GameStop is incentivizing employees to stop people from buying new games and hardware. GameStop staff say the company has threatened to fire people who don’t hit these quotas, which is leading to all sorts of scuzzy tactics.

“We are telling people we don’t have new systems in stock so we won’t take a $300 or $400 dollar hit on our pre-owned numbers,” one GameStop employee told me in an e-mail, requesting anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to press. “This is company wide and in discussions with my peers it is a common practice. We also tell customers we don’t have copies of new games in stock when they are on sale—for example, Watch Dogs 2 is currently $29.99 new and $54.99 pre-owned. We just tell them we don’t have the new one in stock and shuffle them out the door.”

The Circle of Life program, which began late last year but ramped up in early 2017 according to staff, attaches a specific “COL” score to each employee and each store. Each of the four categories represents 25% of that total COL score. So if a store hits their quotas for pre-orders and rewards cards, but not for trade-ins and used games, their COL will be 50%. If an employee hits all four of his quotas, he’ll get a COL of 100%.

GameStop staff have told me that corporate managers are monitoring both stores and individual employees, asking everyone to get a COL score of at least 75% by hitting at least three of their four quotas. If a store is hitting their COL targets but one salesperson is not, that salesperson may face punishment or even lose their job, according to company employees.

When contacted by Kotaku, GameStop’s corporate office sent over the following statement: “All of GameStop’s internal programs are designed to provide our customers the best value in all their video game purchases, including new and pre-owned merchandise. With any program, opportunities arise for improvement and we will continue to refine it to equip our knowledgeable store associates to provide a great store experience.”

Customers have long complained about GameStop’s tendency to push pre-owned games and pre-orders, but this new Circle of Life program has taken forcefulness to a new level. Employees across the web are complaining about this new practice, which they say punishes them for doing their jobs. On the GameStop Reddit, employees have gathered to share gripes and tips for hitting their COL numbers so they don’t get fired.

But these numbers are often out of the staff’s control. During game launch events, for example, GameStop employees will usually sell nothing but new games, damaging their percentages and therefore lowering their COL scores.

“The other day working the RE7/Kingdom Hearts launch we were telling walk-in (non-reserve) customers that we didn’t have the games in stock or that they were only for pre-orders in order to not sell new copies of games,” said a GameStop employee. “It’s that bad.”

A second employee also said they found themselves in trouble after selling a bunch of new games last Tuesday, during the launch of Resident Evil 7, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, and Tales of Berseria. “Now I’m fucked for the week,” that employee said. “Now I have to sell way more pre-owned this week.”

“Circle of Life” has long been a buzzword at GameStop, which makes the bulk of their profits off sales of pre-owned games and hardware, much to the dismay of video game publishers. In GameStop’s eyes, the transaction of video games is meant to be circular: You buy a game, trade it in, and use the extra cash to buy another game—ideally pre-owned.

Over the past few years, GameStop has gone through a number of policies to encourage pre-orders and reward card subscriptions, so some employees are hoping that the Circle of Life program will soon go away. But for now, it’s leading to a lot of stress.

“This has all been under the guise of ‘doing better for the customer’ and ‘giving the customer what they want/a better value’ which is definitely not true,” said a GameStop employee. “Why would I get reserves if it’s going to lead to a new sale? Why would I sell you a new game that you’re excited about if it’s going to hurt my numbers at the end of the day? Why would I sell you a new system if I’m going to be fired for doing so? It doesn’t make sense.”

Geez. Now I feel bad for buying new games from my store :( Hopefully this article gets corporate lots of negative attention and they ditch the CoL thing
Yeah, there's a whole thread about it at NeoGAF with some employees providing their input: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339461

This like Wells Fargo-lite.

freakin gs, I guess they're bored of screwing over customers and have to start doing it to their employees.

If they wanna sell more used items then lower your damn prices and give better trade in values. don't blame it on your employees. 

GameStop employees lying is something new? At least they can blame corporate now and their job is literally on the line.

technically aren't we doing the employees a huge favor by flipping and arbitrage trades since that involves all sorts of used stuff for their metrics in that case?

I asked them the other day how much a copy of Bayonetta :ps3: pre-owned was, expecting maybe $7.99 at MOST, and the guy told me it was $14.99. What a joke. Of course prior to telling me how much it was he had pretty much gotten the game out of the CD drawer, was preparing the generic case, and ready to ring me up... even though I simply asked how much the game was.

technically aren't we doing the employees a huge favor by flipping and arbitrage trades since that involves all sorts of used stuff for their metrics in that case?
My local store employees should love me then, since I never buy anything new and am only ever trading stuff in or buying preowned stuff during there B2G1 deals.

Just had a gs employee trying to con the 8 year old kid in front of me into getting a gpg. Thankfully his dad heard and put a stop to it.

Yes I believe so.
any idea how boomerangs work towards their financial documents?

I've thought about this, and wouldn't this just completely destroy their balance sheet/income statement or at least represent false information? (prob in GS's favor). With bommerangs total sales should be greatly inflated from what it actualy is in reality.

Yes, which shows even more how much of a joke corporate is. By buying 15 games and flipping them to different stores, they see the illusion of their numbers going up, but they fail to see that all that accomplishes is us receiving a bunch of credit just for moving their inventory around. And in my case, I keep all their cases, so they have to make more of those too

They should focus on sales, PUR memberships, and push used games when possible. If they're gonna penalize an employee for selling $1000 worth of new merchandise in one sale, then something is fundamentally wrong with how your company is structured. Especially when it's structured such that us profiting off boomerangs "helps" their numbers...

You have GS employees who avoid buying from their own store because they're afraid of hurting their fellow employees' CoL scores. You have employees who admit that they're basically fucked for the week when the Switch releases, by no fault of their own, because they'll have an irredeemable number of new sales. And now you have customers like me who will avoid buying new at GS any time I can now that I know it hurts the employees with whom I'm very friendly. It's an absolutely idiotic business model, and we can only hope that this article causes corporate to see some backlash and do away with it

Just had a gs employee trying to con the 8 year old kid in front of me into getting a gpg. Thankfully his dad heard and put a stop to it.
I bought some batting gloves for my kid at Dick's last night and was offered their "No Sweat Protection Plan" for $4. This shit is out of control.

And now you have customers like me who will avoid buying new at GS any time I can now that I know it hurts the employees with whom I'm very friendly. It's an absolutely idiotic business model, and we can only hope that this article causes corporate to see some backlash and do away with it
If you want to see them change then buy new. Gamestop only changes when their wallet is being effected. All that article is going to do is have some employees fired and emails sent out to stores to not do this.

If you want to see them change then buy new. Gamestop only changes when their wallet is being effected. All that article is going to do is have some employees fired and emails sent out to stores to not do this.
Oh I will, but I'll be going to the crappy GS on the other side of town so that their CoL scores take a hit, rather than my main spot

That's gotta piss off game publishers. Not really the crowd they should alienate.
Yup I forgot to mention this. All they're doing is needlessly stressing out their employees and pissing off publishers. And of course making themselves look like morons when articles like these come out

Just had a gs employee trying to con the 8 year old kid in front of me into getting a gpg. Thankfully his dad heard and put a stop to it.
So some guy was letting his way too young kid buy something on his own? Get off the phone with your dealer, loser. :)

Get a nanny, loser! :)

I don't know why someone takes their entire clan with them to places where little fingers can grab a million things.
My favorite is the families that bring their 4 children into Target and just send them to the video game section to clog the aisles while they all fight over the Xbox One controller.

My PUR expired Sunday, but Im going to wait til some good used games come around before I renew so I dont waste a good coupon. It's tough since I do alot of day 1s at BBY

gs sucks recently got "new" copies of games with some crappy sticker sealing the opening and the disc had a finger print on it .. they can goto hell seriously...shady ass company

gs sucks recently got "new" copies of games with some crappy sticker sealing the opening and the disc had a finger print on it .. they can goto hell seriously...shady ass company
They consider new as being able to confidently tell you that nobody but GS employees have played the game before they sold it to you.

And they justify it by saying it helps the employees know what current games are out there and good for X kind of person.
How would you have gamestop employees test games? Im legit serious. Considering that is one of the only benefits of gs minimum wage emoloyees how would you tackle that

As long as you pre-order and don't have shitty employees they'll always have the games sealed. The one copy of Neptunia they didn't have a preorder on until after the store closed the night before is probably gutted and on the shelf when they leave.

How would you have gamestop employees test games? Im legit serious. Considering that is one of the only benefits of gs minimum wage emoloyees how would you tackle that
Just have copies of the major releases (employees don't need to play every game that comes out) designated as "store copies" that are shuffled around among the employees and then, after the trend of sales for the new release goes down (first month, I guess), put in on the shelf as a used game. Someone will eventually buy it as a used game, no need to falsely claim that an opened game is new.

One of my favorite GameStop experiences was an employee saying "This copy is flawless, I know because I'm the only one that played it and take really good care of my games." as he put the new "seal" on the case.

do u guys know if the trade promo towards switch is stll active? i have one preorder and planning to trade my ps4 towards it. is there any kind of code that i have to give them or its in the binder or auto. thanks a lot

Found a The Last Guardian steelbook at GS today, rang up for the sale used price, idk how much these go for online though. There seem to be a few of those or something so keep a look out guys. Dude didn't really want to give it to me or something and wanted me to take the original case, even insisted I buy the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back