GameStop Universal System Selector Pro HD $24.99...Pelican at Gamestop.com

this looks like an incredible price to me or maybe i dont know anything i thought these were expensive i thought mine was alot more than this i dont remember

[quote name='cag1000']this looks like an incredible price to me or maybe i dont know anything i thought these were expensive i thought mine was alot more than this i dont remember[/quote]

yeah, this is total crap - I paid $99 for mine about a year ago... I feel ripped off now...

I think this is for 4 HD imputs (despite what the review says), I think someone posted a review for it somewhere

i ordered it at about 10am today....hopefully come dec. 1st this doesnt get cancelled and actually gets shipped

Mine has 7 at least - that makes me feel a little better but the fact that I only use 4 kind of pisses me off. Right now I've got my PS2, GCN, cable box/DVR, and DVD player all hoked up via component...

if this is the same thing i already have, that is an awesome deal!

I love my system selector. The only thing it's missing is a remote, but I'm not that lazy yet....

Mine has 4 component inputs and 3 or 4 Ethernet inputs, not 7. I think that description isn't totally accurate. I might buy another one since I'll need more switching goodness when the next round of consoles comes out :)

[quote name='oxidative']if this is the same thing i already have, that is an awesome deal!

I love my system selector. The only thing it's missing is a remote, but I'm not that lazy yet....

Mine has 4 component inputs and 3 or 4 Ethernet inputs, not 7. I think that description isn't totally accurate. I might buy another one since I'll need more switching goodness when the next round of consoles comes out :)[/quote]Is it any smaller than the original pelican model?

[quote name='sanjuro'][quote name='oxidative']if this is the same thing i already have, that is an awesome deal!

Mine has 4 component inputs and 3 or 4 Ethernet inputs, not 7. I think that description isn't totally accurate. I might buy another one since I'll need more switching goodness when the next round of consoles comes out :)[/quote]Is it any smaller than the original pelican model?[/quote]

As far as the description goes, it sounds like it's the same thing...but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I think I've already seen this. I was in one of the big chain stores a while back (and I seriously wish right now that I could remember which one it was), when I noted what appeared at first appeared to be Pelican's S-video system selector, but it had component video inputs instead. It also only had analog stereo inputs (red & white) instead of optical, and I don't recall seeing any network plugs. It was black, and it only had four sets of inputs plus one set for outputs. I think it was priced around $30 or so. I'm really kicking myself now for not being able to remember where I saw this. I do know that it was Pelican branded. I've already tried looking at their site, but it doesn't list anything like it-but then, it didn't list the new Afterglow Pros for several weeks after they started advertising for them, so who knows?

You can get one at Wal-Mart for $15-$20, and they've been that price for quite a long time... Eh.. I don't know if it's the same brand or not, but what could possibly be different?

This is for the smaller one... Pelican refers to this as an alternative to their "High-End" System Selector Pro, which still retails for 99$.

I am a big fan of my high end system selector. I would be pissed off if the price for that was now $35-40.

[quote name='vrs1650']I am a big fan of my high end system selector. I would be pissed off if the price for that was now $35-40.[/quote]

Nope, still 99$. I am actually selling my System Selector Pro in the trading forum right now.

A quick trip to the Pelican website should clear up any confusion here- Gamestop is selling the "low-end" unit for 25$...

I put in a preorder when it said pro... If I knew it was low end crap I'd have ordered the Madcatz crap from EB for $5 less.

[quote name='dafoomie']I put in a preorder when it said pro... If I knew it was low end crap I'd have ordered the Madcatz crap from EB for $5 less.[/quote]

Ehh... I don't think it is all that bad. It mainly depends on how many inputs you need, I think. The little one lacks alot of the bells and whistles of the Pro, but it can still handle component video and HD input... I am not sure about loss of signal quality, though.

[quote name='BigLebowski'][quote name='dafoomie']I put in a preorder when it said pro... If I knew it was low end crap I'd have ordered the Madcatz crap from EB for $5 less.[/quote]

Ehh... I don't think it is all that bad. It mainly depends on how many inputs you need, I think. The little one lacks alot of the bells and whistles of the Pro, but it can still handle component video and HD input... I am not sure about loss of signal quality, though.[/quote]
Thats what I'm worried about, signal quality. Its my only concern. I only need 2, maybe 3 inputs at most.

I ordered when it showed pro, my order confirmation shows pro, but when I look up my order, it doesn't list it as pro. I am sure I will end up with the low end one, and I don't intend to bitch and moan and try to force them to give me the high end one, but I would hope that they refund all my money without any problems. I have no problem with a company not honoring a pricing error, but I do have a problem with them switching the item ordered without even a notification.

I got mine yesterday and it is indeed a lower quality one (4 input) then my Pro I picked up from BestBuy a while back. I already called customer serice (20 min wait time ugh) and told them they shipped me the wrong product from the description of the item. I asked if it might have been a wrong desc and he said no that they did ship me the wrong one and issued me an RMA number. I think its a case of just low customer service knowledge and most likely will just ship the same item again. IANAL but this looks like it should fall under Bait and Switch so I will spend the time to see how it will pan out. But from now on I think I will email them rather then call.

So wait a minute, when I placed the order I thought I was getting 7 inputs? So how many does the low-end version get...this is definitely bait and switch! When I ordered it, it said pro now magically it changed. And its already been shipped, I hope its not that bad, cuz I really need a selector...

[quote name='dafoomie']How's the video quality compared to the Pro?[/quote]

Dafoomie

Its my understanding that the pro is powered so it amps up the signal. This can make a big difference, especially with long and or average quality cord. You should be ok with either (most HDTVs amp up a signal well enough anyway) but powered is always better.

Dafoomie:

You ordered it when it SAID pro right? So call up Gamestop and make sure they sent you a pro, or else its false advertising. Don't pay for something you didn't order.

[quote name='neonglow']What color did they send you?[/quote]
Black Plastic (clearly not metal like the site quoted) and a small silver section in the plastic where the buttons are.

Just called Gamestop and they only thing they will offer is a refund, and im sorry but thats complete bullshit. They changed my order, I have a confirmation for the Pro and they are sending me the regular version. Now, I am usually not one to get pissed about this kind of shit, but is there anything I can do? I mean, me and a few other CAG's got screwed.

I didn't order it myself but I've been keeping up with this thread because I was interested in maybe picking it up.

Basically this is some real BS on behalf of Gamestop. Its very blatant that they were trying to bait and switch people.

I ordered this as well -- mainly because I needed the digital audio inputs and the ethernet. Does anyone know if the regular version has these features?

hmm, I saw one at wal-mart but I'm torn.

+ very reasonable(great) price.
+ 10 nameplates included to personalize the buttons.
+ includes one set of component, composite, s-video and ethernet cables.
+ built-in ethernet switch.

~ 'only' 4 inputs.
~ only has 3 real inputs, 4th input is actually a hidden composite/s-video on the front, like some VCRs/TVs have.

- no coaxial or optical inputs. I think you could use one of the leftover composite inputs for a coaxial cable though.
- looks kinda cheaply made.

I found this picture that matches the one I saw:
http://www.the-console-corner.com/universal_hd_system_selector.htm

unless I find some great deal on the pro version or run into a good sum of money soon, I'll probably settle for the cheap version and buy an optical switcher at radioshack(or forget about using optical on my PS2, which doesn't really have true surround in-game anyways).

I had mine preordered for months and it kept getting moved back. Just got it today...and they sent me the crappy version. WTF. it even said HD pro when I ordered it.

EDIT: Which really ticks me off since I need optical switching...main reason I bought it really. Is there any way to force them to send me the right one?

edit2: Mine is defintly the one I saw at walmart 2 weeks ago. I've been on hold with gamestop support forever.

EDIT3: just got off the phone...after being on hold 3 times. Said that they had to e-mail me a resolution because they can't figure out what to do right now. Seems like an easy way for them to get me to not argue with them.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']They had the Pro version for $49.99 at best buy today...[/quote]

is this true eveyrwhere? or YMMV? the website still says its $99...and last i checked in the store it was $79...i was there today and there were only two left but I didnt bother checking...hmmm

How is the picture quality on this, anyone? Is there any signal degradation that you can tell? And are those RJ-45 (ethernet) ports on there? Thats weird. Does it act as an ethernet hub or does it simply switch back and forth?

I got mine, but I'm not keeping it. Gamestop WILL give me a refund AND pay for me to ship this piece of shit back.

I'm emailing first and if that doesn't work, some poor phone rep is gonna get it.

[quote name='jaybird']I got mine, but I'm not keeping it. Gamestop WILL give me a refund AND pay for me to ship this piece of shit back.

I'm emailing first and if that doesn't work, some poor phone rep is gonna get it.[/quote]

Their phone support is sloooooooooow better email them and ya they will give you their fedex number to return it on them. Demand what they offered though its not right for them to switch it!

[quote name='dafoomie']How is the picture quality on this, anyone? Is there any signal degradation that you can tell? And are those RJ-45 (ethernet) ports on there? Thats weird. Does it act as an ethernet hub or does it simply switch back and forth?[/quote]

According to another CAG, they said the Ethernet ports switch back and forth. The port that is live is the one you have selected. I also would suspect that it's a hub and not a switch.

As I have a Tivo and a XB next to one another, I decided that if I picked one up, I wouldn't use the Ethernet ports.

Several members at the www.avsforum.com have posted that there is signal loss when using the Pelican selector. It simply does not have the bandwidth to pass a HD (720p/10801) signal without a loss in quality.

The Audio Authority component switcher is the cheapest ($200-$250) that has been reviewed to pass an uncompromised signal.

bread's done
Back