Gamestop: "Vintage Game Business"

I'm confused as to how they'll do this... every GS is my area is just package and there's simply no room to expand. Even after they started throwing out DS cases/manuals. I just can't see where they could hold classic games.

But honestly, if they do, I think it might be a good thing. It'll be some competition for the mom & pop places here. Plus, there could be deals to be had during B2G1F sales and whatnot.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm confused as to how they'll do this... every GS is my area is just package and there's simply no room to expand. Even after they started throwing out DS cases/manuals. I just can't see where they could hold classic games.[/QUOTE]

I believe their current plan is to sell vintage games only on-line from their website. We are not going to be seeing a resurgence of classic games in GameStop stores. For the time being, the vicious grind of only-the-latest-systems will continue. If you want vintage games through GameStop, it is going to be through their on-line portal. Expect zero flexibility in pricing, ridiculous pricing that is not in keeping with actual value, and very poor service.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I believe their current plan is to sell vintage games only on-line from their website. We are not going to be seeing a resurgence of classic games in GameStop stores. For the time being, the vicious grind of only-the-latest-systems will continue. If you want vintage games through GameStop, it is going to be through their on-line portal. Expect zero flexibility in pricing, ridiculous pricing that is not in keeping with actual value, and very poor service.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. I expected the games to be in store since that's where they'll be taking them in.

[quote name='Vinny']Ah, I see. I expected the games to be in store since that's where they'll be taking them in.[/QUOTE]

New Joystiq article expands on details

Yes, this article confirms that the Vintage game initiative is going to be an on-line thing. Apparently the retail stores are going to start accepting dated product, but all of this will be shipped to warehouses and then sold on-line, and not at the retail stores themselves. In terms of efficiency, this is actually a pretty good idea. The retail stores are the most convenient means for them to accept this kind of product. And processing the product in a central location and selling it on-line would allow them to maintain tighter control without interfering with their current retail model.

Possibly the most interesting thing to come out of this article is the possibility of seeing re-made classic systems. Apparently GameStop is in talks with console manufacturers of yore and exploring the possibility of re-designed classic systems for sale in their stores. There are already plenty of fami-clones out there, but it would be nice to see an officially licensed version from Nintendo or Sega. (and possibly one with better build quality)

At the same time, I can't help but feel that this is a very, very bad thing for collectors. (and the vintage market in general) We've all seen how effective GameStop can be at buying used games. Now imagine that same business model applied to the vintage market. It's clear from this article that GameStop is NOT currently sitting on a stockpile of classic NES, SNES, and GENESIS games. If this thing really goes into effect, it won't be long before they are sitting on such a stockpile. They will rapidly gain control over the very limited supply of vintage games. (and by extension, the price of vintage games)

^Thanks for posting the article Richard Kain. I agree, this has the potential to be a bad thing for the vintage market.

Gamestop won't go into this unless they fell like they can make money and they are very effective at buying used games. The fact that these games are not being made any more means that they will be able to control the supply that much sooner. Once they become the place to find these items, they can manipulate prices and trade values as they see fit.

[quote name='GUNNM']Gamestop preparing for the xbox 720 going all digital.[/QUOTE]
There may be some truth to this as well. If the console makers only sell digital content, Gamestop will have space in their retail locations as download codes and point cards take up little to no room. If this does happen, everything that has a copy that you can put your hands on will be classified as "vintage/retro". I think they will continue to sell accessories.

[quote name='Richard Kain']

At the same time, I can't help but feel that this is a very, very bad thing for collectors. (and the vintage market in general) We've all seen how effective GameStop can be at buying used games. Now imagine that same business model applied to the vintage market. It's clear from this article that GameStop is NOT currently sitting on a stockpile of classic NES, SNES, and GENESIS games. If this thing really goes into effect, it won't be long before they are sitting on such a stockpile. They will rapidly gain control over the very limited supply of vintage games. (and by extension, the price of vintage games)[/QUOTE]

That's a very good point... instead of selling games at a yard/garage sale, thrift stores or even donating them, people now have the option to trade them into GS. Yes, eBay always existed but a lot of people don't go that route.

[quote name='chuckie88']There may be some truth to this as well. If the console makers only sell digital content, Gamestop will have space in their retail locations as download codes and point cards take up little to no room.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that does strike me as a likely explanation for this new interest in vintage games. A transition to a much more digitally-focused marketplace could absolutely ruin GameStop. While they have made some motions to move into that space, they are ill prepared for such a change, and that space is already filled with far more capable competitors. Steam is already dominating the PC market hard, and they are savvy enough not to let GameStop into that space. The console manufacturers all have their own digital stores, and aren't about to let GameStop have any of that action.

Vintage games are a market that GameStop is actually equipped to compete in. GameStop has never been the best place for people to sell their used games. There are numerous alternatives that offer better mark up for those looking to unload older software. It's just that GameStop has always been the easiest and most convenient place to sell your used games. That's what gives them an edge.

The worst part is, I could actually seem them pulling this off if they played their cards right.

Yes, this article confirms that the Vintage game initiative is going to be an on-line thing. Apparently the retail stores are going to start accepting dated product, but all of this will be shipped to warehouses and then sold on-line, and not at the retail stores themselves.[/QUOTE]

And you can just tell they're not going to provide unique descriptions of each item, which is kind of essential for collectors. Does that SNES Chrono Trigger include the box and instructions? Guessing the online price will be the same regardless. Ugh.

Possibly the most interesting thing to come out of this article is the possibility of seeing re-made classic systems. Apparently GameStop is in talks with console manufacturers of yore and exploring the possibility of re-designed classic systems for sale in their stores. There are already plenty of fami-clones out there, but it would be nice to see an officially licensed version from Nintendo or Sega. (and possibly one with better build quality)[/QUOTE]

Mother of god.

If they can get old systems released that will run (well) on new TVs, I'll be so happy.

[quote name='Richard Kain']The worst part is, I could actually see them pulling this off if they played their cards right.[/QUOTE]
Me too.:cry:

I'm with you guys here that this is a bad idea and will screw people over.

Luckily there is a local place that sells vintage gaming stuff along with current gen and makes a killing. Place is called Video Game Heaven. It started out as a booth at a flea market here that earned the woman shit loads of money. I know because i graduated with her spoiled asshole son. She paid for a 400-500k house pretty much in cash with the money that she made from that one location and a then new standalone. The flea market burned down a few years ago and she expanded the standalone store. You name it, they literally have it. I believe they do their own repairs on systems. Of course they sell the knock off NES/SNES/Genesis combos along with the original systems. Funny thing is is that her son is a total asshole and shes a really nice lady

Heres their FB page as their normal page looks like a thro back to 1999. Seriously take a look and drool at what they get in lol

http://www.facebook.com/VideoGameHeaven

^Well if Gamestop does venture into the vintage game business and opens up shop nearby that store. Then you'll get your bitter sweet reward/revenge as competition will probably eat up most of their sales.

Oh and if Gamestop is watching this thread...
I refuse to pay $38 for a used cartridge only copy of Super Metroid!*

At this point, I'd like to see reproduction cartridges with newer technology. Instead of an actual battery for saves, maybe flash memory for game saves.

I know I'll never own an original copy of Earthbound. Yeah, $190 is out of my price range.*

I won't mind being able to walk into a Gamestop to find a reproduction of Earthbound with reproductions of the color manual/box.

Just want to experience the game on a Super Nintendo and at a more reasonable price.

Maybe even region exclusives that had English as an option. Terranigma comes to mind.

*I used Amazon's prices for these games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I'm with you guys here that this is a bad idea and will screw people over.

Luckily there is a local place that sells vintage gaming stuff along with current gen and makes a killing. Place is called Video Game Heaven. It started out as a booth at a flea market here that earned the woman shit loads of money. I know because i graduated with her spoiled asshole son. She paid for a 400-500k house pretty much in cash with the money that she made from that one location and a then new standalone. The flea market burned down a few years ago and she expanded the standalone store. You name it, they literally have it. I believe they do their own repairs on systems. Of course they sell the knock off NES/SNES/Genesis combos along with the original systems. Funny thing is is that her son is a total asshole and shes a really nice lady

Heres their FB page as their normal page looks like a thro back to 1999. Seriously take a look and drool at what they get in lol

http://www.facebook.com/VideoGameHeaven[/QUOTE]

i'm so jealous :cry:

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']
At this point, I'd like to see reproduction cartridges with newer technology. Instead of an actual battery for saves, maybe flash memory for game saves.[/QUOTE]

Awww man, that really would be a retro-gamer's dream come true. They could release a redesigned, minimalist system, and then re-release a new, smaller cartridge format to go with it that could store whatever games they could license for it. Sell those retro titles for $10-$20 each.

But I seriously doubt this would happen, despite the fact that it would give the traditional retail space a way to make money in an increasingly digital marketplace.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^Well if Gamestop does venture into the vintage game business and opens up shop nearby that store. Then you'll get your bitter sweet reward/revenge as competition will probably eat up most of their sales.

Oh and if Gamestop is watching this thread...
I refuse to pay $38 for a used cartridge only copy of Super Metroid!*

At this point, I'd like to see reproduction cartridges with newer technology. Instead of an actual battery for saves, maybe flash memory for game saves.

I know I'll never own an original copy of Earthbound. Yeah, $190 is out of my price range.*

I won't mind being able to walk into a Gamestop to find a reproduction of Earthbound with reproductions of the color manual/box.

Just want to experience the game on a Super Nintendo and at a more reasonable price.

Maybe even region exclusives that had English as an option. Terranigma comes to mind.

*I used Amazon's prices for these games.[/QUOTE]
Oh I have nothing against here. Last I remember she cut her son off because he was a douchebag (not taking care of your own kid and expecting mommy to pay or everything kinda helps that lol) But the stores been around for at least 13-14 years, so the store was around when Funcoland was around

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']i'm so jealous :cry:[/QUOTE]

I really wish I lived close to there. I'd give them tons of business. The prices they're quoting are reasonable especially if the stuff is in good condition.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Awww man, that really would be a retro-gamer's dream come true. They could release a redesigned, minimalist system, and then re-release a new, smaller cartridge format to go with it that could store whatever games they could license for it. Sell those retro titles for $10-$20 each.

But I seriously doubt this would happen, despite the fact that it would give the traditional retail space a way to make money in an increasingly digital marketplace.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea at all, I was leaning more towards cartridges that would fit in my current SNES. An actual hardware and cartridge revision that was available at a low price would also be nice.

Basically, I'll take a video game console clone that was compatible with old school cartridges/controllers and accepted a proprietor cartridge/controllers for some cheap/functional reproductions.

Reminds me of this thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321076&page=5

I so would buy an SNES at Gamestop if it was like the ones in this added link. I'd need it to look/work nicely on current LCD monitors/HDTVs. Never got to play the Super Scope games.

[quote name='Halo05']I really wish I lived close to there. I'd give them tons of business. The prices they're quoting are reasonable especially if the stuff is in good condition.[/QUOTE]
They sell stuff on ebay as well...no idea what they're seller id is tho. I'm sure if you posted on there and inquired they'd be willing to help you out.

Honestly, thats where I got my first 360. It was the only place I'd seen with any in stock when they came out. Of course being mom and pop you had to buy 3 games, but it was worth it

bread's done
Back