Gamestop vs. Gamerush vs. Gamecrazy

RCS0926

CAGiversary!
Can anyone tell me how each of these stores stack up against one another? In general, I do most of my game shopping at GS, but since joining CAG, I've noticed that it's in my best interests to take advantage of the other 2 stores when possible.

GS - easy to monitor game prices, price drops and game locations; decent coupons that can be stacked with Edge card

GR - B1G1; some games priced lower in comparison to GS

GC - ?

Anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback on the advantages that each store has on the others, particularly GR and GC's advantages over GS. Thanks in advance.

In my area Gamecrazy is MUCH better for trade in values. But makes used games more expensive which I use Gamestop for. I buy all my new games at Gamecrazy because I like the people there.

Gamerush will give better trade-in prices 99% of the time when compared to Gamestop. The only time Gamestop really comes close is when you're trading in a brand new title and they've got promos going on. Older games tend to hold value a little better at Gamerush as well. For purchases, they've got a pretty small selection and many of their used titles are former rentals. Used games are pretty cheap there though :)360: GTA4 is $14.99, Blue Dragon is $10).

Gamecrazy tends to be a little cheaper than Gamestop when buying used games (example, :360: Guitar Hero Aerosmith is currently $19.99 at GC). Their selection is often much less than Gamestop, but they willingly can order games for you AND will match trade-in's to both Gamestop and Gamerush if they're less.

Gamestop, well, they're everywhere. This is a blessing and a curse. Because they are essentially the monopoly and the biggest name in used games, they control the market and in most cases, the prices. However, because they're so huge they can afford to run various promos and specials on a pretty regular basis. They've got a HUGE selection of recent stuff, and since there's so many of them, if one doesn't have what you want chances are the store down the street will. Personally, I only trade there if there's a special going on since it's generally not worth it. Pick and choose with Gamestop, though, and you'll be just fine. This site is an excellent way to do just that - keep an eye on their price drops and their sales, and you'll get some pretty decent deals.

As pointed out by JJSP, GameStops are very abundant, so you can always find one, and they do a massive amount of business in used goods, so you can almost always find what you want. Their TIVs obviously blow usually, but taking advantage of their promos to flip stuff is always a good way to get some cheap items. I probably put down about $30 in cash at Sears to build up the $70 (plus a little leftover) in credit I needed to buy a used 120GB HDD.

Around me, there are probably 10 or 15 GS stores within about a 5 mile radius. On the other hand, there are no dedicated GameCrazy or GameRush locations. Or at least known that I know about or would bother traveling to. There is a Blockbuster in my city, but even though they give better TIVs, I never bother dealing with them. Their used selection stinks on ice, and even if I did find something I wanted, the games are generally beat to hell, anyway.

[quote name='david12795']I dont think there any gamecrazy/gamerush in florida :([/quote]

There are actually 47 Gamerushes in Florida.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As pointed out by JJSP, GameStops are very abundant, so you can always find one, and they do a massive amount of business in used goods, so you can almost always find what you want. Their TIVs obviously blow usually, but taking advantage of their promos to flip stuff is always a good way to get some cheap items. I probably put down about $30 in cash at Sears to build up the $70 (plus a little leftover) in credit I needed to buy a used 120GB HDD.

Around me, there are probably 10 or 15 GS stores within about a 5 mile radius. On the other hand, there are no dedicated GameCrazy or GameRush locations. Or at least known that I know about or would bother traveling to. There is a Blockbuster in my city, but even though they give better TIVs, I never bother dealing with them. Their used selection stinks on ice, and even if I did find something I wanted, the games are generally beat to hell, anyway.[/QUOTE]

The Kmart/Sears clearance flipping works very well at gamestop, buy games at Sears/Kmart then build up credit to use to get what you want. This really only works when there is a trade x get an extra 5$ store credit per game traded in though, or else your pretty much wasting your time.

I did well with this but I did better flipping my crap Wii games on ebay during the Xmas season, but you can really only get good money for them close to Xmas, any other time ebay is kind of dead for sales. The advantage of this is yes I have to pay the ebay fees and ship the stuff however I get cash to spend it where I want on what I want and I am not tied to Gamestop since I have pretty much found that you can get most games on ebay cheaper than at Gamestop. If you can hold your games till Xmas do it (note works best for Wii games since every soccer mom in town is buying them). It can be the crappiest wii game but someone out there will be willing to give you decent money for it. However if you want a brand new game or just want something right away take your games to gamestop.

[quote name='perdition(troy']which store gets the best trade in value for a 360 console?[/quote]

Craigslist. I think Gamestop only hands 70 for a 360 now or was it 60? They add another 20 for a hard drive. But it's rather low there.

No GR stores around here...

I'd say Gamecrazy (in comparison to Gamestop) tends to have more hard to find games, prices tend to be cheaper. One problem I have with GC is that around here they refuse to give trade-in prices over the phone, where as the Gamestop does. Another downside to Gamecrazy is that a majority of their used games are previous rentals, so they lack the official case and cover art and usually don't have a manual.

I've had bad experiences with gamecrazy, however it definitely has the best prices. I went there yesterday to get some AV cables, and managed to pick up a copy of Ico for $8.00. Their biggest downfall would be the condition of their used titles, I've never got a used game that wasn't scratched(sometimes severly), and alot of their games don't have manuals, or they come in the wrong kind of case(ie a gamecube game in those light green xbox360 cases)

bread's done
Back