Gamestop Weekly Ad 7/20-7/26: Spit out your drink in disgust edition

"Power to the Player" sounds right to me, they have the power and they're playing us.

the company has some pretty sleazy business practices but in some places thats all you have. Around here its them or Walmart unless i wanna find time to drive 30 miles. I only go to them if a preorder has an interesting bonus or when they have something fairly priced that i can't find anywhere else (only 1 Best Buy within 60 miles and their selection tends to suck)

At least they have the games in-stock, at Best Buy once it hits clearance it's super YMMV. I personally don't have much of a qualm with Gamestop, I've always gotten what I feel was reasonable credit for my games and if there's a bad deal I DON'T buy it. Alpha Protocol is at an MSRP at $20 but the used edition is $17.99. I'll get a 10% discount with silver premium membership while pretty much negating the tax and I can pay with credit for no tax.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']the new one or war for cybertron. WFC is pretty good, I'm not sure about the movie one though. If i had to choice i would pick WFC even though that price is a god damn joke.[/QUOTE]

I really have no idea. I know it was a Transformers game though. WFC is pretty good, but $50?

[quote name='strait edge follower']I had to double take when looking at the ad before posting it, man for a place that specializes in games they suck lol. On a side note didn't they bring back the used game deal of the week ? And if so, when is the next one ?[/QUOTE]

Yah, they did a real solid in offering Army of Two for $5. It's practically a steal for that price...until you do some research and discover EA is permanently shutting down the servers for that game and several others in less than a month.

I went there today to trade in my elite 360 to upgrade to a 360 S. I had mine repaired by MS and they never put a sticker on the system. GS wouldn't take it back even though it was in pristine condition and worked flawlessly...but they will take back systems that is covered in grime that is putrid and hard to even touch. Never change GS.

I wanted to take advantage of their $50 bonus on system trades in's with $300+ in credit burning a hole in my pocket I guess they just don't want business.

As one associate said "I could lose my job if I take this back!" Yep, that would be a horrible thing to happen.

[quote name='DIMONDA85']I went there today to trade in my elite 360 to upgrade to a 360 S. I had mine repaired by MS and they never put a sticker on the system. GS wouldn't take it back even though it was in pristine condition and worked flawlessly...but they will take back systems that is covered in grime that is putrid and hard to even touch. Never change GS.

I wanted to take advantage of their $50 bonus on system trades in's with $300+ in credit burning a hole in my pocket I guess they just don't want business.

As one associate said "I could lose my job if I take this back!" Yep, that would be a horrible thing to happen.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you're the one with the issue to me, not Gamestop. It's not their fault your system doesn't meet trade in requirements.

[quote name='pjb16']Sounds like you're the one with the issue to me, not Gamestop. It's not their fault your system doesn't meet trade in requirements.[/QUOTE]

Kind of silly to require a warranty sticker when it wouldn't even be covered since it is 5 years old.

[quote name='DIMONDA85']Kind of silly to require a warranty sticker when it wouldn't even be covered since it is 5 years old.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with the warranty. By not having the seal, you could have opened the system and modded it. That's why a lot of video game stores require the warranty seal.

[quote name='DIMONDA85']Kind of silly to require a warranty sticker when it wouldn't even be covered since it is 5 years old.[/QUOTE]

They have no idea if you tampered with it. The warranty sticker is their only guarantee. As an ex Lamestop employee, you would be surprised what people try to pull on the employees.

And contrary to popular belief, I can add, I know a lot about video games, and I bathe daily. :drool:

[quote name='TheKbob']They have no idea if you tampered with it. The warranty sticker is their only guarantee. As an ex Lamestop employee, you would be surprised what people try to pull on the employees.

And contrary to popular belief, I can add, I know a lot about video games, and I bathe daily. :drool:[/QUOTE]

Ex lamestop employee as well, we never had any protocol like that regarding PS2/XBOX. Guess times have changed.

And yet, all of the haters will be praising GameStop whenever a CE goes for $20. I don't get all the hate... Wal-Mart never has any sales on their ads. Yes, they had a few good deals online but when is the last time you saw a Wal-Mart ad with some real discounts on games? (besides black friday) Where is the outcry for that?

[quote name='Royal High Knight']that was already posted on the trade in thread over a week ago. No need to include that on this thread.[/QUOTE]

Since it came with the weekly ad email, and the whole point of this thread was that there were no good deals in the weekly ad .......

I have no idea if you're even right; you're talking about a 150 page thread and certainly no-one bothered to edit it into the OP. There's a reason for wiki posts.

[quote name='oasisboy'] I don't get all the hate... Wal-Mart never has any sales on their ads. Yes, they had a few good deals online but when is the last time you saw a Wal-Mart ad with some real discounts on games? (besides black friday) Where is the outcry for that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its Wal-Mart....not Game-mart. I don't think Wal-Mart is gonna live or die selling video games. Gamestop, however, should definitely be focused on selling games and keeping their customers around with some better deals.

After my Hero Edition showed up crushed due to poor packaging & the B&M store wouldn't accept a return since they "couldn't resell it" then it took 2 calls to CS to get a return label emailed to me I am for sure done with RipOffStop. No matter the deal I refuse to give them any of my money.

Why Gamestop? Why? I used to go to Gamestop for almost every game and I now I hardly even shop there. There deals are terrible and are virtually nonexistant throughout the year.

I mean come on, it's the summer drought. Surprise us with some exciting deals so we actually come and buy games.

My vote right now goes to Gohastings, Amazon, and Best Buy.

[quote name='ChosenOne1']Why Gamestop? Why? I used to go to Gamestop for almost every game and I now I hardly even shop there. There deals are terrible and are virtually nonexistant throughout the year.

I mean come on, it's the summer drought. Surprise us with some exciting deals so we actually come and buy games.

My vote right now goes to Gohastings, Amazon, and Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Same here, once I discovered this site and the greatness of amazon and other sites I never went back. You would think they would try. Why not have crysis 2 for 29.99 or la noire for 34.99 ? You know, something to attract the consumer to your store more. Why not push the titles that came out this year already before the fall releases ? With the summer releases being non existent this would be a perfect time to do so

[quote name='jollydwarf']GameStop is for soccer moms 'n' suckers, 'n' stupid mother--ahem! F the 'stop.[/QUOTE]

Today I got $81 for six games I paid a grand total of zero for. So, yeah, I'm an idiot.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Why not have crysis 2 for 29.99 or la noire for 34.99 ?[/QUOTE]

Because they can't afford to sell at those prices like Amazon can.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Why not push the titles that came out this year already before the fall releases ?[/QUOTE]

Because fall releases make them more money.

Is it seriously this hard to figure out?

[quote name='Survivalism']Today I got $81 for six games I paid a grand total of zero for. So, yeah, I'm an idiot.

Is it seriously this hard to figure out?[/QUOTE

With the amount of revenue made from used game sales alone they could easily afford it imo. Not to mention that the more copys of mortal kombat, crysis 2 and other games sold can equal more future trade ins which can then add up to more profit when those traded in copy's of those games are sold back to other consumers

GameStop can't compete with the likes of Amazon and Best Buy (especially given their recent trade-in program being introduced and focus in video game deals).

I really don't expect to see any amazing deals being offered by GameStop anytime soon. Remember, they feed off those who are misinformed and/or lazy...

[quote name='Survivalism']Today I got $81 for six games I paid a grand total of zero for. So, yeah, I'm an idiot.
[/QUOTE]

So basically you traded in a couple 360s, a few PS3s, and a half dozen Wii's to get enough credit for six games, and then traded those six games in for $81 in more credit? And will then try to convince yourself through twisted math that everything you are getting is free despite trading things in at massive losses?

[quote name='oasisboy'] Wal-Mart never has any sales on their ads. Yes, they had a few good deals online but when is the last time you saw a Wal-Mart ad with some real discounts on games? (besides black friday) Where is the outcry for that?[/QUOTE]
While an extra sale would be nice, in my opinion, Wal-Mart doesn't have to have gaming deals, all they have to do is continue price-matching with little to no hassle.

They do not want CAGer's business. We are the exception to the rule. Their customer base doesn't spend hours each day on a website devoted to getting the best deal on a game. They do not want people to have backlogs.... That's why they push preorders. They sell the hype of being able to get your game at 12:01 the day it releases. And for that, they get $60 for their games.

Their business model is impeccable. This is who they make money off of:

Joe Blow pays $60 for Call of Juarez: TC. Beats it in a week. Trades it in for $25.00 store credit. He then buys Portal 2 for 54.99 used. [keep in mind, they paid some schmuck 22.00 store credit for it]

So they get $60 cash to start. Then, get his game back, and another $30 cash and give up a game that cost them 22.00 store credit.

They cycle starts over. They have their own in-store economy. You might say "well, if he was smart he would have used a trade in bonus blah blah" but he's not, and that's who they target.

They don't need deals, they rely on game producers to promote their games and they use they hype generated to sell games.

My idiot "joe blow" casual gamer friends refer to them as "the games store" like there's no other way to get a game. Sorry for the wall of text but that's just how it is.

The only thing that is going to stop them is the mini botiques that BB is going to set up like they have with BB mobile. I can't find the link but they're going to open stores in strip malls and such that mimick GS to the T. That is the only way to slow them down.

I seriously don't understand all the hostility towards Gamestop.

It's the drought period. We all know that. You can't expect them to give games away and still make a profit.

As far as GameStop having "shitty deals" and/or trade-in values... you obviously are bad CAGs because I've taken advantage of some excellent deals from them recently. They may not have the best deals on newly released games, but good like finding a trade-in bonus on Amazon or a used game deal at Best Buy.

[quote name='cshamilton']They do not want CAGer's business. We are the exception to the rule. Their customer base doesn't spend hours each day on a website devoted to getting the best deal on a game. They do not want people to have backlogs.... That's why they push preorders. They sell the hype of being able to get your game at 12:01 the day it releases. And for that, they get $60 for their games.

Their business model is impeccable. This is who they make money off of:

Joe Blow pays $60 for Call of Juarez: TC. Beats it in a week. Trades it in for $25.00 store credit. He then buys Portal 2 for 54.99 used. [keep in mind, they paid some schmuck 22.00 store credit for it]

So they get $60 cash to start. Then, get his game back, and another $30 cash and give up a game that cost them 22.00 store credit.

They cycle starts over. They have their own in-store economy. You might say "well, if he was smart he would have used a trade in bonus blah blah" but he's not, and that's who they target.

They don't need deals, they rely on game producers to promote their games and they use they hype generated to sell games.

My idiot "joe blow" casual gamer friends refer to them as "the games store" like there's no other way to get a game. Sorry for the wall of text but that's just how it is.

The only thing that is going to stop them is the mini botiques that BB is going to set up like they have with BB mobile. I can't find the link but they're going to open stores in strip malls and such that mimick GS to the T. That is the only way to slow them down.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I love GS. I know the tricks of the trade. "joe blow' is a moron. So its fun to go in and laugh when he does something stupid, such as your example

I go to any store that is gaming related, go for the best promo/trade in value. I search around, call, calculate, and plot my attack.

Now those "joe blows" are my favorite b/c if everybody was a CAG or educated in consuming, yeah theyd probably be out of business.

My favorite is when im in line (which is my only complaint, usually takes FOREVER) and some moron says "thats all? pftt" its like dude... yes you get .50 cents for your madden 04 youve held onto for 7 years... wow.. people are stupid sheep and i love it!

*gets off soapbox*

but i definitely lol'ed at "the game store" its so true. they do call it that!

I always see some redneck or minority in the local stores on the phone.. "hello?? yeah hey... i'm aaaa... at the game store.. They're wantin' to give me 2 dollars for my madden 10... pisses me off too!" bottom line, consumers for the most part are sheep, and take waaay too much pride in their games that are 5 to 7 years old, with instruction manuals that look like they've been jizzed on

I'm not really sure why companies like gamestop even waste the ink, paper, gas, and manpower to produce and distribute ad flyers that do nothing but show full retail price or higher than retail price for products that they stock and sell.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Since it came with the weekly ad email, and the whole point of this thread was that there were no good deals in the weekly ad .......

I have no idea if you're even right; you're talking about a 150 page thread and certainly no-one bothered to edit it into the OP. There's a reason for wiki posts.[/QUOTE]

It's not part of the ad. Go to gamestop.com then click on weekly ad and you won't see it anywhere. It's part of the email they sent with the weekly ad.

See ^ ? I can be nitpicky too.

Is it seriously this hard to figure out?[/QUOTE]

Bet you I could at least double that income with the same list of games on ebay or half. Other than the occasional stackable trade in it's almost completely crazy to trade your stuff into gamestop. And even if they give you a great price they screw you when you try to redeem the credit.

Say what you want about gamestop but they have been going crazy with the trade in bonuses, you can easily get $100+ in store credit with 3 kinda new games.

[quote name='KonohaShinobi']Say what you want about gamestop but they have been going crazy with the trade in bonuses, you can easily get $100+ in store credit with 3 kinda new games.[/QUOTE]

Best buy and amazon have higher base tivs than gamestop with all their bonuses.

Power to the players!

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Best buy and amazon have higher base tivs than gamestop with all their bonuses.

Power to the players![/QUOTE]

Flippers kill the TIV.
Best Buy = new. Don't expect that to last.
Amazon = kinda new. You already see TIVs dropping.
Blockbuster/Gamerush = old. TIV dropped.
Gamestop = oldest. TIV suck.
Coincidence? I think not.

As for Gamestop...
I haven't shopped there in years. Prices suck. The sales are almost non-existant except in B2G1 Preown and even that sale pales in comparison to the deals run by other retailers with new product.

got this in email
"At GameStop your old games are always worth cash or store credit. And right now, we have a one-time deal just for you!

We are offering our HIGHEST TRADE VALUES EVER on games you have purchased. Bring in your 1 game and get $25.00 in trade credit. Just print out this coupon code and bring in your game.

Take a look below at all the select games you can trade in and get our highest trade values ever. But hurry, this huge deal only lasts until Sunday, July 31!"

so do we get TIV and an extra $25 for bringing it?
if this stacks with the trade in for 50% bonus towards a used game than its too good to be true.

but can someone comment on what that $25 means??

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='akuma77']got this in email
Take a look below at all the select games you can trade in and get our highest trade values ever.

[/QUOTE]

Can you provide a link or a list? Haven't got the e-mail yet

[quote name='akuma77']got this in email
"At GameStop your old games are always worth cash or store credit. And right now, we have a one-time deal just for you!

We are offering our HIGHEST TRADE VALUES EVER on games you have purchased. Bring in your 1 game and get $25.00 in trade credit. Just print out this coupon code and bring in your game.

Take a look below at all the select games you can trade in and get our highest trade values ever. But hurry, this huge deal only lasts until Sunday, July 31!"

so do we get TIV and an extra $25 for bringing it?
if this stacks with the trade in for 50% bonus towards a used game than its too good to be true.

but can someone comment on what that $25 means??

[/QUOTE]

Looks like MvC 3 made it on the list. Better trade that in now before they remove it on their list. I'm glad I traded mines in a few days ago before the official announcement on Ultimate MvC 3 in which the TIV plummeted to $8.

[quote name='vlv723']Looks like MvC 3 made it on the list. Better trade that in now before they remove it on their list. I'm glad I traded mines in a few days ago before the official announcement on Ultimate MvC 3 in which the TIV plummeted to $8.[/QUOTE]

Good eye.
Do you think I can get 50% bonus if i buy used game?
or is that coupon non stackable for $25 mvc3

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Best buy and amazon have higher base tivs than gamestop with all their bonuses.

Power to the players![/QUOTE]

Once again, a very poor CAG.

I've traded in probably 50 or so games the past few weeks... always to the company that's giving me the highest value. 75% of them went to Gamestop, most of the rest to Best Buy, and one to Amazon.

Just a quick thought on this stuff. I sometimes get similar emails from PUR. It seemed to me as if they used games from the "Games I own list" and then cross referenced them with TIVs. I then get emails similar to yours saying "You have X number of games worth $X." It wasn't a promotion, rather it was them saying "give us this game from the list of games you own.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Once again, a very poor CAG.

I've traded in probably 50 or so games the past few weeks... always to the company that's giving me the highest value. 75% of them went to Gamestop, most of the rest to Best Buy, and one to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and then you have GS credit, and as GS deals usually are (relatively) non-existent, you're losing on the back end even if you feel like you are winning on the front.

I'll almost always use Amazon due to the freedom to purchase whatever and their gaming deals are generally top notch when compared to most others.

I'm not judging what you do, just pointing out that the credit you receive may not have the value it appears.

I just checked the PUR site. For 500 points, there is a coupon where you get Ass Creed 1,2 and Brotherhood for $50.

No clue if it's used or new, but that's not too terrible of a deal. In fact if you never played any Ass Creed game, that's wow, a good deal for all 3. Well considering you don't have to search for price drops and many retailers for all three games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I just checked the PUR site. For 500 points, there is a coupon where you get Ass Creed 1,2 and Brotherhood for $50.

No clue if it's used or new, but that's not too terrible of a deal. In fact if you never played any Ass Creed game, that's wow, a good deal for all 3. Well considering you don't have to search for price drops and many retailers for all three games.[/QUOTE]

This has been posted in the PUR thread, and it's a terrible deal.

This is great, I can't wait to trade in Super Paper Mario. The TIV is shit everywhere else. Thanks, Akuma77.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Once again, a very poor CAG.

I've traded in probably 50 or so games the past few weeks... always to the company that's giving me the highest value. 75% of them went to Gamestop, most of the rest to Best Buy, and one to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sevendayrevolution']Yeah, and then you have GS credit, and as GS deals usually are (relatively) non-existent, you're losing on the back end even if you feel like you are winning on the front.

I'll almost always use Amazon due to the freedom to purchase whatever and their gaming deals are generally top notch when compared to most others.

I'm not judging what you do, just pointing out that the credit you receive may not have the value it appears.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts. Amazon / Best Buy are so much better since you can use them on anything in store. Gamestop TIV's have to exceed Amazon/BB TIV's by say $10 or so for me to even consider them and no matter what coupons you stack that isn't happening.

This is CAG though, I thought the point was to get video games.

Gamestop doesn't disappoint me, unless you're trying to buy a new game as soon as it gets out then I don't see why you would even consider Gamestop to begin with. They are known for the used games which if expensive, you don't buy.

I get TIVs for about $25-$42 per game and still buy a game that's $25-$42 without tax. Am I disappointed? Nope. When you can make a cheap OLD game into $15-$30 that you get for like $10, Gamestop will always be my choice. It's a flip but it's still getting a game for a good price at Gamestop.

If you have problems with Gamestop, don't shop there.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Exactly my thoughts. Amazon / Best Buy are so much better since you can use them on anything in store. Gamestop TIV's have to exceed Amazon/BB TIV's by say $10 or so for me to even consider them and no matter what coupons you stack that isn't happening.[/QUOTE]

Except this is a gaming site, right? What does Gamestop sell? Whaddyaknow... GAMES! Mostly used ones... which you can't really get with Amazon or Best Buy credit anyway.

Not to mention the fact that it's pretty easy to flip GS credit to both of the others if you really wanted to.

All places have pros and cons, I just don't understand the inherent hate for Gamestop when half the time, they're the best place to trade in. Hate all you want, but it's really just you who's missing out. I'll gladly take $24 instant Gamestop credit vs $10.50 Best Buy or $16 Amazon (after nearly two weeks of waiting, a dollar for shipping costs, and less value if the game isn't complete). Using BFBC2 as an example.

bread's done
Back