GameStop..

ssssss

CAGiversary!
After being on the edge of buying Burnout Paradise, I played it at a friend's house and really liked it, and wanted to buy it. Criterion sounds like an awesome developer putting out so much downloadable content at no cost, and I sincerely wanted to support them for that, and because Paradise did not sell too well. I went to GameStop because they are the most convenient retailer, despite my disgust for the way they operate I tell the guy behind the counter I want Burnout Paradise, he says "Oh, the only one we have left is a display copy." He walks over to the display counter with all the 360 games, pulls out the case for Burnout Paradise. Then he gets out a little paper disc holder with the game disc in it with a sticker that says new. He inserts the manual and then puts a ziploc like sticky bag over the package and greets me to the door. He said it was new and being the sucker I was, I believed him. I come home and open it up, and the disc has scuffs on it. Not unplayable scuffs, but still scuffs.
The primary incentive was to buy an awesome game, but I really bought the game new because I wanted to support Criterion. Now I feel as if I have just thrown money to the GameStop monopoly and just helped them continue to be the middle man. The sticky bag they initially put the game in is wrecked, and I don't think the employees working there will believe me if I try to return it just so I can go to Best Buy and get a truly sealed game. What should I do?

Go back to the store and complain. If they refuse to give you a refund or exchange for a new copy, call the corporate number on the website and complain. They most likely will give you the district manager's number - call them and complain as well.

fuck that sounds like the guy pulled a fast one on you. i havent dealt with the actual store in a while aside from trade ins and tend to just buy games online from them. id say return it too even though its only a 20 dollar game you paid your money and deserve to get a new copy though unless they have a new copy there they may just give you store credit. question aside from having the actual game in hand is there any advantage to getting this from the psn store ? if there is then maybe you could get a psn card instead and then buy it there when it goes down in price ( if it goes down in price)

I'd go ahead and buy it from the PSN store because it's definitely more convinient to have it on the HD.

That said, go ahead and return it to GS. You are free to return your item according to the guidelines of their policy (7 day returns on new games?). I can't speak for your local store or the employees, but I would advise you to leave it at, "I do not want it" if they ask why you're returning it. There's nothing wrong with returning fully functional product if you simply want something else as long as you are doing so within legal/ethical boundaries.

remove the sticker and then make sure the case has no sticky residue... say they never put one on their and you decided you wanted a real sealed copy as its a gift. ask if they can check other stores within the area for a selaed new copy (if you have more than 1 gamestop/eb).

[quote name='Snake2715']remove the sticker and then make sure the case has no sticky residue... say they never put one on their and you decided you wanted a real sealed copy as its a gift. ask if they can check other stores within the area for a selaed new copy (if you have more than 1 gamestop/eb).[/QUOTE]

If he removes the sticker and says they never put one on there, chances are that they'll accuse him of removing it or trying to return a game from another store.

What you should do is say the disc doesn't work and tell them it was a gut copy, which is why it has scratches on it. If they have no other copies and if there are no other GSes near by, then they'll have to refund your money.

If there are other GSes nearby, they'll swap out the disc (probably from another gut copy) and hopefully you'll get a new one. Make sure this one is in brand new condition before accepting it.

It seems as if 90% of their new games are gutted "last copy". Then again they aren't really interested in selling new games anyways.

If it truly was a brand new game then GS didn't really make any money off it anyways. The scuffs are probably the employees taking it home to play. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting your money back if you wanted to.

IMO it's just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. I'd just suck it up and next time it happens you know to check the disc before the sale. Lesson learned

Unless I'm desperate to play the game I always refuse to buy them gutted, but I only buy new launch games at GS so I haven't had that problem in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
They gave me a obviously "used" game at one of the gamestops I went to in Buena Park. It had no manual, no case, but the game was "new" I disputed this at that store level but they didn't bother stating the disc is "new" so you need to pay the "new" price.

Since this was a really rare game, and at the time I felt I really needed it, I let them get away with it until I got home and really looked at the disc I picked up. It was scratched to hell and had finger prints all over it.

At that point I decided to take it to my favorite Gamestop and the manager there was quite appalled and actually called first the store I picked the game up to verify if it was even conceivable they are doing that to their customers, then callled the District Manager of their store and filed a complaint on my behalf.

Needless to say, from that point forward if it is not sealed I don't pick anything up from Gamestop any longer. If it wasn't for that Gamestop that I actually like I wouldn't bother going to the chain ever.

[quote name='ssssss']Thanks for the all the responses.
What exactly does a gutted copy mean?[/QUOTE]

A gut copy is the display copy of any new game. They'll open up the game, take out the disc and store it in a sleeve, and then put the empty case/manual out on the shelves to be displayed.

Go to a gamestop that has sealed copies and tell them you want an exchange, if they say no or give you shit have them call corporate, if they refuse call them yourself and be sure to tell them that they refused to call corporate.

THEN, later when you get home file a complaint at that tellgamestop.com

the gutted copies are employee rentals. never buy the last copy. I still don't understand why ne one would buy a new game at gamestop. That place is only good for used games.

[quote name='RandyTsai']the gutted copies are employee rentals. never buy the last copy. I still don't understand why ne one would buy a used game at gamestop. That place is only good for brand new launch games.[/quote]

fixed

bread's done
Back