Gamestop's Wii Protection Plan?

chewster777

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Alright, I have a question. When I got my Wii pre-ordered at Gamestop, they asked me if i wanted to buy their protection plan for $20. I figured that sort of thing would be cheaper, or free of charge even. I haven't bought a system at retail for the longest time, so I didn't know what to do. Was this guy just trying to get my money, or do I have to buy this plan to insure my system? Any info would be appreciated.

Newb, $20 is just bypassing you sending you system in to Nintendo for repairs IF it breaks. Systems come with 90 days to 1 year warranty in the US. If you have a extra $20 I woud say go for it but if money is tight you wont die without it.

They really cant sell you the Product Replacement Plan without you buying the system first considering the need the systems sku number for that. So I would dish out the 20$ when the system comes out and get the PRP, just incase, considering it just being released and all.

Nintendo will most likely offer a 90 day warranty(that's what they offered with the GC, but offered a year warranty for GBA & DS). The year warranty is basically there if you will play the system a lot, which will wear down the console, meaning better chance of it breaking down. If you don't play games that much, don't bother wasting the $20 for the warranty, you'll basically be giving Gamestop free money.

All I remember about those from working @ TRU is our warranties kicked in after the MF warranty expired. Any shit goes wrong it's just replaced outright. Idk how well the plan works though.

Hmm, there was one thread here about a guy who dropped his PSP in the pisser and it didnt work, so he used the warranty dealy from GS and got it replaced lol. So it might be a good investment if you're going to drop the wiimote or something lol.

also good if they come out with a new color. i traded another CAG for a ds lite with the PRP and when the black came out i brought it back and traded for the black one instead.

Okay, guess I'll buy this plan. Now that I think about it, I've never personally bought a system at retail, so I've never come into this, even though I have a PS2, GBA, Gamecube, they all came from people I know.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Nintendo will most likely offer a 90 day warranty(that's what they offered with the GC, but offered a year warranty for GBA & DS). The year warranty is basically there if you will play the system a lot, which will wear down the console, meaning better chance of it breaking down. If you don't play games that much, don't bother wasting the $20 for the warranty, you'll basically be giving Gamestop free money.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the GC came with a one year warranty. All of Nintendo's products have a one year warranty. I personally recommend not buying the replacement plan. Nintendo is known for making very durable hardware and with the one year warranty, I think you should be well covered. Save the money and get yourself an extra game/accessory.

[quote name='dschroll']Actually, the GC came with a one year warranty. All of Nintendo's products have a one year warranty. I personally recommend not buying the replacement plan. Nintendo is known for making very durable hardware and with the one year warranty, I think you should be well covered. Save the money and get yourself an extra game/accessory.[/quote]
You do have a point. I've never broken anything of mine and I don't want to give them any more money than I have to. I know I just said I would get it, but I think I should be alright without it.

[quote name='chewster777']You do have a point. I've never broken anything of mine and I don't want to give them any more money than I have to. I know I just said I would get it, but I think I should be alright without it.[/QUOTE]

If you really want to put your mind at ease, buy the system from Costco. They have a lifetime replacement plan which is their standard policy. If at any point something you bought from Costco breaks, just bring it back and they'll replace it. No extra replacement plan charge needed.

But, as I said earlier, with a one year warranty on the Wii, you should be well covered. If anything is going to go wrong with the system due to defects, it will most likely show up in that first year.

Yeah, and Nintendo is good with their RMA system.

When my DS Phat's touch screen broke last year, they gave me the info for Fed Ex to print me a shipping label, and got me my system back in a week.

Great customer service!

if you are getting a console made by nintendo, i wouldnt bother. I mean gamecubes, n64, snes dont break that often, yeah the NES original systems have some problems with the connections but that was the first console. i am not saying none of the WII or ds consoles will break, i am sure it happens, but not at the rate of xbox 360, xbox or ps1 or ps2 launch systems. Those all had serious hardware malfunctions. Nintendo has been making consoles so long now that they make them pretty durable

I would recommend NOT dishing out the extra 20$ on the warrenty, as a previous poster said, nintendo hardware comes with a one year warrenty included. Also nintendo's customer service is great, most likely if something goes wrong with your console within a year, they will probably fix it for you.

I would recommend the replacement plan if you have children in the house, or if the console is being purchased for children, because they tend to be destructive on consoles and that 20$ extra would eaisly cover the cost of a new wiimote should it get broken in half, stepped on or dropped.

Also if your downloading virtual console games you might want to look into what will happen to them should you decide to replace your system, also what will happen to all your stored friend codes and other data if your system is to be replaced???

Yeah, you don't need one. Nintendo has always been pretty good about replacing systems if their is something wrong, sometimes even if you're out of the warranty period.

The only system I've ever gotten an extended warranty on, is the PSP. And luckily, my system is without a single dead pixel.

I did have to get my launch PS2 replaced recently, but it wasn't because of DREs or anything like that, it was because mine was one of the very few PS2s that are incompatible with their online service. Sony replaced it, for free, even though I was past the warranty period by about 4 years?

My point is, if you're unlucky and get a console that is broken and needs to be replaced, it will most likely happen right away, if not, then at least within the initial warranty period. But even then, they will probably still repair/replace the system.

If you really want to put your mind at ease, buy the system from Costco. They have a lifetime replacement plan which is their standard policy. If at any point something you bought from Costco breaks, just bring it back and they'll replace it. No extra replacement plan charge needed.

Wow is this true? What about laptop computers and things like that?

[quote name='SaraAB']

I would recommend the replacement plan if you have children in the house, or if the console is being purchased for children, because they tend to be destructive on consoles and that 20$ extra would eaisly cover the cost of a new wiimote should it get broken in half, stepped on or dropped.

Also if your downloading virtual console games you might want to look into what will happen to them should you decide to replace your system, also what will happen to all your stored friend codes and other data if your system is to be replaced???[/quote]

I don't have any kids, so my system will be totally safe. Also I recall hearing somewhere that if your Wii does break, you can re-download all of the virtual console games again at no cost. It's like once you download a game, you own it forever. That's what they said when asked about the limited space on the Wii if you wanted to free up some space or something. Nintendo said you can delete and download again(which is a stupid idea for games with saving involved, like long rpgs). I don't know how that will all work, or what to do about friend codes. Thanks for the response though.

I don't think that kinda protection make any senses at all. just don't waste your money. You will get warranty from the machine itself anywayz

[quote name='espy605']Wow is this true? What about laptop computers and things like that?[/QUOTE]

This is true. Computers have a six month return window, and after that you're on your own. The return policy does apply to electronics, though. A co-worker of mine 's mother returned her HDTV two years after purchase because she wanted a different color. They happily obliged.

[quote name='chewster777']I don't have any kids, so my system will be totally safe. Also I recall hearing somewhere that if your Wii does break, you can re-download all of the virtual console games again at no cost. It's like once you download a game, you own it forever. That's what they said when asked about the limited space on the Wii if you wanted to free up some space or something. Nintendo said you can delete and download again(which is a stupid idea for games with saving involved, like long rpgs). I don't know how that will all work, or what to do about friend codes. Thanks for the response though.[/QUOTE]

One thing no one has mentioned yet... $20 for an extended warranty of this nature is a pretty good bargain as far as consumer electronics are concerned. The extended warranty on the 360 was $60, and by comparison this is a very good deal. However, I agree with most everyone else... Nintendo hardware is known for its durability, and you probably don't need an extended warranty.

bread's done
Back