Gametrak Freedom Motion Controller

playing mantis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
There's a decent preview of the Gametrak Freedom Motion Controller (coming october 2009) over at spawnkill.com:

http://spawnkill.com/e3-preview-squeeballs-partygametrak-freedom/

There's not a whole lot of info out about this device or the Squeeballs Party game that will come bundled with the wand and sensors.

We do know that the bundle will be $69.99, and additional Gametrak remotes will be $34.99.

I believe that this will be an essential part of the motion control platform for 360. Project Natal needs some sort of controller to supplement the 3D tracking camera.

It wouldn't surprise me if MS ended up buying this out from PDP.

Hopefully PDP will announce some of their partners and their game projects soon...I really want this to be successful, so I am trying to spread the word.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to bomb. How is a 3rd party Wii peripheral going to be essential to motion control on the 360 when MS is trying to leapfrog having to hold something all together? It requires 2 sensors (not wireless) and only 2 wands can be used at a time. Initial cost for this thing sits at $105 + tax.

the button configuration also hampers future games with the wands...

FTA:
The remote has the standard A, B, X and Y buttons, the guide button, a d-pad, back, start, and then a trigger button; meaning that you’ll really only be able to play Gametrak-compatible games with it, since it’s missing two bumpers and a second trigger.

Also..why would any developer make a game specifically for use with another developer's product? Another developer isnt going to make a game relying on the sales of this thing...they will instead make their own peripheral.

[quote name='Malik112099']This is going to bomb. How is a 3rd party Wii peripheral going to be essential to motion control on the 360 when MS is trying to leapfrog having to hold something all together? It requires 2 sensors (not wireless) and only 2 wands can be used at a time. Initial cost for this thing sits at $105 + tax.

the button configuration also hampers future games with the wands...

FTA:

Also..why would any developer make a game specifically for use with another developer's product? Another developer isnt going to make a game relying on the sales of this thing...they will instead make their own peripheral.[/QUOTE]

3rd party Wii peripheral? This is for the 360...

MS is misguided, you need buttons. Sony realized this, hence their motion capture solution has buttons to augment the experience. Even harmonix realized that we need buttons, even for karaoke. Hence their Rock Band M.I.C (Microphone with Integrated Controller).

Eventually devs will figure out decent ways to make games without buttons, until then...

Sensors not wireless. I could care less, batteries are a pain and are bad for the environment.

Regarding developers, what are you talking about? Not every game developer is going to develop their own controller just for their own games...They will use what exists. I can see games for the gametrak only being made for XBLA at first, to avoid the costs of launching games at retail.

If you are talking about MS, eventually they will incorporate/support something like the gametrak freedom. I don't think consumers or game developers are ready for completely button-free gaming.

I agree that this will probably flop, although I can guarantee you that there are a lot of third party Wii games that are going to be ported for this. It's a quick buck for games that have already been developed, so it's going to happen.

I wish that Natal was coming out this christmas so we could see what to expect, how games will work, and how necessary a product like the gametrak freedom will be.

GAMS GAMS GAMS!

I don't think this will really do anything revolutionary. I can't see a 3rd party tech changing how a console is played.

I do however, hope people just start saying Squeeballs! all the time. As in, "Man, I just ordered Dark Sector for $1.49 off of Amazon (which I actually did), I hope it doesn't suck Squeeballs."

bread's done
Back