Gaming Headphones for the 360

naiku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I play a lot at night and can't exactly blast my surround sound with people sleeping, so I am stuck playing games that I don't need the audio to enjoy(crackdown, uno, ect). And I really want to start Mass Effect...so I was going to look for a pair of gaming headphones.

I am wondering what is the best set/deals for gaming headsets atm. I know Wombat loves his Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 headset, which looks good. Just wondering if there were other good pairs; and any some CAG input would be great. Not really looking for wireless since i don't want to be paying for batteries or recharging them every other week.

Thanks in advance

I had the same question last year and the CAGs pointed me toward the Turtle Beach X3 headphones and they are pretty good. I had some issues with the customer service when the right ear speaker go out, but ultimately they replaced it and I'm happy.

I have a some Turtle Beach X-1's and I like them. They work very well for what they are: Stereo headphones with a Microphone for XBL.

[quote name='glockant']these are awesome. got them 2 christmas' ago. or you can wait for the wireless ones Tritton is coming out with.

Tritton Audio Xtreme AX360 5.1 Dolby Digital 8-Speaker Gaming Headphones w/ 5.1 Decoder, Clip-On Mic.

http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/4312

[/quote]

I have to agree with glockant. I got these for Christmas this year from my wife. I have the same situation of always playing at night when the kids and wife are sleeping. The sound is amazing! I get so immersed while playing Call of Duty 4. You can hear footsteps around you and even what direction you're getting shot from. Even the simulated bass rumble feature make explosions feel so real.

[quote name='shaveice']How does that work? You plug it into the 360 USB and then the game noise goes into that?[/quote]

This particular pair actually uses the optical out port on the back of the 360 or it has the option for digital coaxial and an adapter to hook it to a pc with 5.1 outputs.

[quote name='naiku']So I play a lot at night and can't exactly blast my surround sound with people sleeping, so I am stuck playing games that I don't need the audio to enjoy(crackdown, uno, ect). And I really want to start Mass Effect...so I was going to look for a pair of gaming headphones.

I am wondering what is the best set/deals for gaming headsets atm. I know Wombat loves his Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 headset, which looks good. Just wondering if there were other good pairs; and any some CAG input would be great. Not really looking for wireless since i don't want to be paying for batteries or recharging them every other week.

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

I know you said you don't want wireless but I bought a pair of Sennheiser wireless rechargeable headphones a week ago and they are amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVEK

$60, they are rechargeable, use any rechargeable AAA and sound amazing. Even better, I have the voices of people on Xbox Live coming through the headphones and then keep the communicator around my neck.

I was in the same position as the OP about a month ago. I looked for reviews, read a lot and compared many headsets. Basically it comes down to how much you're willing to spend and the use you'll be giving them. You may be happy with just stereo, or you may want to go for 5.1 sound. Once you make that first choice (and if you want great sound quality), the fun begins.

If you want stereo, there are many headsets around. The Turtle Beach seem to be quite popular, but you can get better sound from a pair of economic Sennheiser + a Zalman clip-on mic (with chat audio through headphones) or a small, comfortable cell phone headset paired with a Datel headset adapter (to wear under the headphones).

However, if you want 5.1 (using the optical out), then the most budget-friendly will be the Tritton X360. A good value, but small speakers affect the sound quality.

The best (I'm talking $200+) solutions are much more varied, and are worth it more if you also watch movies. You can go for the Astro A40 Audio System, which is gaming oriented and comes with their Mixamp. The Mixamp outputs Dolby Headphone, so you'll be able to get 5.1 on a stereo headset. Or you can also buy a good pair of headphones, a mic as described in the stereo example, and a JVC SU-DH1 unit (supports Dolby Digital and Dolby Prologic 2, outputs Dolby Headphone). Trust me, you'll prefer to play with headphones most of the time if you go with this kind of setup.

Maybe I wrote too much. :lol:
I learned a lot from this thread over at AVS. It is very long, but there is a lot of useful info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=894251

[quote name='slavefive']Any good deals on the turtle beach headphones? This is CAG, after all.[/QUOTE]

I got mine directly from Turtle Beach during a sale for $34 or so shipped. Other CAGs have found them at Best Buy marked down or on clearance. But, I would advise making a post in the "Request a deal" forum, and see if anyone can point you in a good direction.

What about an adapter for those 3.5mm headsets to just plug into the 2.5mm controller?

I mean, for gamers who already have a pioneer, or other brand stero headset, and want to use that for the 360...

I'm guessing they need the adapter, yet i'm not sure if you can just plug it into the controller, and let it work...

What about the 3.5mm to usb adapter? I've seen these on amazon for mere pennies (plus ebay tactics in the inflated shipping), yet do these work on a 360?

Anyways, what's the cheapest way to plug my normal headphones into the 360?

The controllers only have audio from chat, not game audio.

The cheapest (and I mean cheap) is to get a 10-20 ft headphone extension cord and run it from your receiver or tv's headphone jack (most newer ones have it). SOund quality will be rough.

If your tv doesn't have a headphone jack (or a receiver) you are going to have to get spend a little dough like others above recommended.

Hi:

I recently picked up the Turtle Beach X41's.

If you have the money ($200) and need wireless headphones pick these up. I game alot at night and these are the perfect soultion for my needs. They simulate 7.1 surround and are powered by the xbox's USB port. You can also watch TV or Blu Ray's with these.

Kevin

since this was bumped from 2 years ago...

I had purchased a pair of of X3's which i used until 2009 xmas where I picked up a pair of X41s. The one thing I love about the X41's is the audio box that comes with it, allows you to hook up a set of wired headphones if your batteries are low on the wireless. X41's soundstage is a bit wide but I guess that is how they try to emulate the 7.1/5.1 sound. Overall pretty happy with the purchase, less white noise vs the X3's inferred which had a bunch.

Bumped from 2 years ago...yep. that's my gaming lifestyle...the ps2 started geting games that were all eye candied out so i ditched the consoles untill i could get a 360 at a 2009 price.

What about those usb adapters? Do you peeps know of these, or should i link 'em?

the goal is to enjoy that crisp audio the 360 provides without spending anymore money on this...

I already have some premium headphones (stero is all i need), just need to ask the experienced MB members as to the adapter I should get...

You can get any pair of headphones and just buy a clip on mic. With an adapter you can use them with the 360. The 360 dedicated headphones usually have crap sound compared to similar prices headsets.

bread's done
Back