Gaming Headsets

Fuzzibunny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I own Xbox360/PS3/PS Vita/ and Play on my PC (mmos)

I am looking at Headsets that have great sound and have great Mic output. I also want to make sure they work with most of my systems.

I am looking at :
http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-...4Y/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1330806201&sr=8-10
or
http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-...MYCO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1330806201&sr=8-8

I think they are the same. If they are I will just go with the cheaper ones.

and the Astro A40s

What do you guys use and prefer. :D

I have the PX21 coupled with the DSS and find that there is some hiss when there is no sound coming from the game, but it does have excellent MIC output. I also have a pair of the A30's and I was not totally impressed with them. Not bad, but I though the MIC wasn't that good and the sound output was lacking.

Currently I am using the PS3 Bluetooth headset on the PS3 and the PX21's on my PC. Not sure that my information helps you, but feel free to PM me if there are any specific questions I may be able to answer.

I bought the AX720's when they were on sale for like $90. I've only used them for playing CoD games but they work well. The surround sound is very nice, you can clearly make out the direction that everything is coming from and it's easy to pick up on sounds that you normally wouldn't hear through regular speakers. They're supposed to work on the 360/PS3/PC but I've only tried them on the PS3. I just wish it had the feature where you can hear yourself talking in the headset. I think Turtle Beach headsets have that. But aside from that, I think they're very good. Supposedly Astro's are the best though.

like illmatic, i have the Triton AX720's. They're a solid pair, though as he mentioned you don't hear yourself talk into them (turtle beach DOES have this feature)
many say astros are top of the line, but i cant say i would know.

AX720:
Pros:
-Sleek design...these games look like stormtrooper gear and they mean business
-Removable mic
-Compatible with 360, PS3, and PC
-Sturdy design...these things are gonna take some effort to break
-Auto-Adjusts to sound modes for movies and games
-Multiple speakers in each earcup for a surround sound effect..great for hearing footsteps in games like cod/bf

Cons:
-No "voice loop" feature where you can hear yourself talk
-Bulkier than some other headsets
-The bass kick isn't the best
-Heavy...when i first got them it hurt after an extended time wearing them...got used to it in a week
-Hissing sound when chat volume is up...though I've heard from almost everyone that all gaming headsets have a hiss to them...when you're in a party chat you won't even notice it, and when you're not you can just turn the voice chat down (there are dials for chat volume and game volume seperately)

for specs such as cord length and so on, i would check on amazon or the triton site. some people see cords as a bad thing, but personally i prefer to have a cord...provides a more reliable connection, as well as not dying out on you in the middle of a serious game if you get competitive and tactical with friends

I use the Astro mix amp and sennhiser pc360. it sounds incredible and is super comfy.

I have no complaints. But i could see issues for some

Sound Leakage IN and out but. I do not need Isolation.
And the mic is non removable. Does not matter to me it is a gaming headset i don't walk around in it :)

Well I'll put in my 2 cents, I'm not much on headsets but I have owned a few pairs. I first has a set of x11's. Loved them to death. But I recently sold my 360 and went to ps3 for the free online play :D. Now, I was able to use those on the ps3 after I bought an adapter but with that you couldn't control the chat and game volume seperately.

So I went off to gamestop and looked at ps3 headsets, I don't know why they are more expensive but they are. I first picked up a $60 set of Trittons. Those things were terrible. Not only did they not have the voice feedback of the Turtle Beach's, but the x11's were "over the ear" type of headsets and I kinda got spoiled, but the Trittons were "on the ear" and they began to hurt after an hour or so.

So I went back and returned those and got another set of Trittons for $80. These were better but still lacked the "over the ear" that I was used to. So I returned those and got the px21's and these are amazing. I think they are psx/360/pc type and offer voice feedback as well as mostly "over the ear". So if you have big ears I'd go with these.

Now if you're wanting wireless, that's for someone else to write you a book about lol.

[quote name='beachbum662']
Cons:
-No "voice loop" feature where you can hear yourself talk
[/QUOTE]

I always considered that a Pro, not a Con. Like the voice loop when you're in the PS3 chat rooms and if you're messing with the voice modifier you can hear yourself? Ya I never liked that. Always felt like I was interrupting somebody else trying to say something.

Anyways I got the Tritton Axpros and they're pretty good. The surround sound is damn accurate and in MW2 I could always tell exactly where an enemy was.

Only cons for wired headsets are a cable mess, and the tritton cords tend to wrap up around each other. Like they twist and turn and tangle a cord with itself.

Never liked the wireless ones because there is a hiss when its quiet that I've read in most reviews for wireless cables.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I always considered that a Pro, not a Con. Like the voice loop when you're in the PS3 chat rooms and if you're messing with the voice modifier you can hear yourself? Ya I never liked that. Always felt like I was interrupting somebody else trying to say something.

Anyways I got the Tritton Axpros and they're pretty good. The surround sound is damn accurate and in MW2 I could always tell exactly where an enemy was.

Only cons for wired headsets are a cable mess, and the tritton cords tend to wrap up around each other. Like they twist and turn and tangle a cord with itself.

Never liked the wireless ones because there is a hiss when its quiet that I've read in most reviews for wireless cables.[/QUOTE]
Actually it's not like on the voice changer. It's not an echo, but it does take a small portion of your voice and feed it back in real time so that you can hear yourself. It's actually a pro to have it because otherwise it's like you're wearing headphones and talking to someone, you can't really tell how loud you are and might be yelling.

The same feature is used in every telephone out there. Whether it be a house phone or your cell phone. They all have it.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/wireless-headset-f540

Awesome headset. Durable, very comfortable, great sound and mic is very good too. They look expensive, but I got them 110 shipped off amazon. You can find deals on them from time to time.

I would highly recommend these and for you to look at youtube reviews of many of the headsets listed. Lets you see everything you get and what it actually looks like and how big it is.

Now this is my only headset I have ever bought, but Logitech has always done good by me

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I stumbled over this thread, I too am looking at getting a headset in the near future. I plan on getting one that I can use for both the 360 and PS3. I was actually considering the Tritton model mentioned in the above posts so thanks for the honest feedback. As the op stated, pros and cons are what I'm looking for. Anybody have any personal experience with the Sharkoon x-tatic line? If so I'd love to read about 'em or any other headset used for both consoles actually. Thanks!

Double post I know but I found this link on the AV Science Forums to have a ton of content. The first page goes into detail, it seems most of their users like the Tritton AX720s and the Astro mixamp quite a bit. I'm considering the AX720s and the PX21s from Turtle Beach as I have a bunch of GS credit to burn and they sell both models online.

EDIT: Almost forgot the link!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285726

bread's done
Back