Gaming on a Pentium M

Pope On A Rope

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I've been researching laptops and am not quite sure how sufficient the Pentium M systems are for gaming.
Anyone have any (firsthand is preferable) input/advice regarding these?

The video is more important than the processor. Pentium M is fine, you just need discrete graphics which usually doesn't come with light weight/subcompact laptops.

I think he means dedicated graphics, not discrete. But yeah, Pentium M 2GHz or more paired with something like a 256MB Geforce Go 6800 or 7800 GTX will kick ass on many desktop systems despite the lower clock speed. Of course a mobile system with specs like that will kick ass on your wallet too!

p4 3.2ghz on my lappy.

you can play graphic intense games w/ a pentium M, just get a dedicated graphics card. the onboard intel extreme won't cut it :(

My laptop has a 1.7GHz Pentium M and can play just about everything just fine (of course, it also has a gig of RAM and a Radeon Mobility 9700, but still).

While I don't remember the numbers anymore, I seem to remember looking around at various benchmarks for Pentium Ms before getting my laptop and being supprised at how well it performs compared to other processors.

The processor isnt as good as a regular one so it will slow down some games. But as every had said the video card is the most important. Intel Extreme graphics suck real bad, you wouldnt be able to play FPS games on low very well even.

seems like the minium you should buy right now is 1.5ghz mobile with 9600pro you can get a used one from dell inspiron 8600 i believe for less than 950$ check the cheap website for dell coupons slickdeals.net,fatwallet.com, bens bargains etc.

i agree ram is a necessity 1-2 gig is best.

have a sager 1.5ghz 9700pro 1gig of ram model is NP3790 the websites sagernotebooks.com you can get them used pretty cheap.

it well play anything currently out at 1024x768 fine

yea, ive got a pentium m 1.7 w/ 128 nvidia(not sure if shared or dedicated) 1 gig of ram(making sure either if the card is d or s that it will run fine)
that vaio runs my games pretty fine
ut2k4
doom3(set it on low just in case)
battlefield 2
half life 2(sorta choppy, put everything on low)

I've had a 1.5 Pentium M and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB for coming up on 2 years now. It'd handled everything I've thrown at it, though I've not played games on my computer in a while. It played Half-Life 2 at fairly decent graphical setting without a hiccup.

As has been said, worry less about CPU and more about video card.

daroga

I have a Dell 8600 with a Pentium M 1.6, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128meg (Omega Drivers), 1 gig system ram, and the 7200 RPM Hitachi 60gig drive.

I don't play too many games, but it handles anything I want to try. I mainly play Civ III and City of Heros. The only thing that holds me back is my 56k dialup hookup. You also need a real mouse, the touchpad doesn't cut it.

You need a portable USB mouse:

0f12fcb5-74d9-4aab-8140-2d2557f2338f.gif

I've never understood why people spend money on a Pentium 4 laptop. You might as well put that money towards a desktop.

[quote name='Msia']I've never understood why people spend money on a Pentium 4 laptop. You might as well put that money towards a desktop.[/QUOTE]
When you are college you can take notes on your laptop, and when writing papers and doing research it is nice not to have to sit in front of your PC.

[quote name='Quackzilla']When you are college you can take notes on your laptop, and when writing papers and doing research it is nice not to have to sit in front of your PC.[/QUOTE]
Enjoy the hour and a half battery life away from your PC then. Buy a Pentium M/Centrino if you actually want to do something like that.

bread's done
Back