Gaming PC and HDTV in Separate Rooms... best option for gaming on my TV?

lolwaut

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
a couple of questions, hope someone can help. im getting a new sony kdl-52w4100 HDTV. i also have a gaming computer, but it is in the next room over from where my tv is. im planning on running a 20 foot hdmi cable through the wall from my PC to my HDTV so i can watch movies and (hopefully) game on my HDTV. (i already have two monitors hooked up to my PC via DVI but my GPU still has an open HDMI output). moving my PC is NOT an option. my plan is to get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for gaming (i know most say bluetooth mice are not ideal for gaming due to latency issues but i think that is BS since the PS3 controllers are bluetooth and have 0 latency issues) so i can play PC games on my HDTV in my living room while my computer is in the next room over. i will still be within the 33 foot BT range in my living room. does anybody have anything to say about this idea? im looking for some input and whether or not you guys think it will work. i would love to play crysis on my new tv . also, any ideas on a BT keyboard/mouse that i should get for this purpose? i have a logitech mediaboard pro (keyboard/mouse combo) for my ps3 but a keyboard/mouse combo isnt ideal for gaming. im looking for separate units. i like the dinivo edge, but again, im not looking for a combo unit. even if gaming is not an option, i would still like to be able to watch movies, surf the web, etc. on my new HDTV so i will still need a bluetooth mouse and keyboard... suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

There's something really strange with wireless mice, they never seem to have consistent range the way game controllers do, whether it's RF or Bluetooth. Maybe it has to do with the complexity of the signal they have to send vs. the limited sensitivity of an analog stick, I dunno. But my luck has never been good with wireless mice over long distances. I hope it works for you, but be prepared for disappointment.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']There's something really strange with wireless mice, they never seem to have consistent range the way game controllers do, whether it's RF or Bluetooth. Maybe it has to do with the complexity of the signal they have to send vs. the limited sensitivity of an analog stick, I dunno. But my luck has never been good with wireless mice over long distances. I hope it works for you, but be prepared for disappointment.[/quote]

actually, range shouldnt really be that big of an issue because i could always get a usb extension cord with a repeater on it and run it through the wall into the room with the tv, then attach the bluetooth dongle onto the end of the usb cord (in the tv room).

I have a hard time believing a 20' HDMI cable is going to be enough to go from room to room, depending on how you do it.

Note: I run a 75' hdmi and a 50' in my single room. One goes up the wall and into the attic, back down to my projector. The other goes up the wall and to the TV that is behind the projector screen.

I'd check that distance and go beyond what you think you'll need. Especially if you ever want to move your computer or TV.

As far as what you're thinking about doing, it should be okay otherwise.

I have the DiNovo Edge as well. It's a great keyboard that works fine with my PS3. I would not recommend it to play games with if you don't have a separate mouse.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I have a hard time believing a 20' HDMI cable is going to be enough to go from room to room, depending on how you do it.

Note: I run a 75' hdmi and a 50' in my single room. One goes up the wall and into the attic, back down to my projector. The other goes up the wall and to the TV that is behind the projector screen.

I'd check that distance and go beyond what you think you'll need. Especially if you ever want to move your computer or TV.

As far as what you're thinking about doing, it should be okay otherwise.

I have the DiNovo Edge as well. It's a great keyboard that works fine with my PS3. I would not recommend it to play games with if you don't have a separate mouse.[/quote]

hey thanks for the encouragement. its refreshing to hear someone say that it might work. as far as the 20 foot hdmi cable goes, i live in a 2 bedroom apartment. my pc is in my office (one of the bedrooms) and the TV is on the other side of the wall (on the same wall)... its actually almost a straight line from my pc to my tv.... i am positive a 20 foot cable will work because my router and modem are actually on my tv stand and i run a 20 foot cat6 from my office pc to my router. i dont have any fancy wiring, i just run it along the ground up against the wall then i run it through a crudely made hole in my wall (about the size of a golf ball) which i made with a hammer and a screwdriver... i dont actually have any professional wiring like you probably do and i probably live in a much smaller space. but... im anxious to try out gaming with a BT mouse on my tv, but as the previous poster said, i might very well be disappointed... honestly, i dont have my hopes up... guess we will just have to see.

EDIT: now im curious, do you notice any degradation in quality over that length of HDMI cable? what brand of cables are you using? i would personally be wary of using cable longer than 25 feet due to the results found in this test: http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests however, i am curious about what you have personally experienced

LOL. If that's the wiring, then yeah, 20' should be fine. I did my wiring myself, and glad I overshot the estimates when I bought the cables from monoprice.

Why not do this for a test? Take your bluetooth keyboard, walk across the house, and hit some keys on it. See if those keys get hit on the PC. Open up word or something and type a sentence from another room. You can check the distance that way. You should have little problem going through a wall, provided the distance is short enough to begin with. Bluetooth has a fairly good range on it.

[quote name='mtxbass1']LOL. If that's the wiring, then yeah, 20' should be fine. I did my wiring myself, and glad I overshot the estimates when I bought the cables from monoprice.

Why not do this for a test? Take your bluetooth keyboard, walk across the house, and hit some keys on it. See if those keys get hit on the PC. Open up word or something and type a sentence from another room. You can check the distance that way. You should have little problem going through a wall, provided the distance is short enough to begin with. Bluetooth has a fairly good range on it.[/quote]

good suggestion... i actually thought about that and was going to try that soon... im less concerned about the range and more concerned about the latency... im thinking it might be fine for normal computer tasks but gaming could be a whole different animal.

as for your hdmi cable, monoprice did very well in that test i previously linked. i also went with them for my 20 foot cable... although i went with pcmicrostore for my regular 6 foot hdmi cables because they had an awesome sale of 10 cables for 20 bucks, out the door. i dont think (and the test i linked shows) that brand and specs are not nearly as significant for the shorter cables, so im not too concerned about it. what kind of tv and projector do you currently have in your primary home theater setup?

TV is a 46" 1080P Samsung LCD , Projector is a 1080P Panasonic.

I went with their standard in wall rated cables, not 1.3 spec, and they work fine. I think I got the hdmi faceplates at partsexpress however.

You might want to check if the HDMI port on your video card will function when both DVI connections are used. Some video cards will only work with 1 DVI and 1 HDMI or 2 DVIs, but not all 3 simultaneously. The reason for this is that 1 of the DVIs and the HDMI actually share resources as opposed to being an independent connection.

[quote name='KingDox']I have pretty much the same issue. But I'm in a condo and don't feel like drilling into walls. So I've been keeping my eye on this guy:

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWAVKIT/[/QUOTE]

While this might be useful for general PC usage, you have to remember most people have high-end video cards in their machines. Unfortunately, something like a wireless VGA adapter will not have the data-transfer rate to be worth it. Good find, though!

[quote name='hordak']Here's what I did with my system, but please note that I have a 52" LCD now... not that puny 32" tube anymore. ;) You can probably do the same thing... even if your PC is another room by using a gamepad. The games part of the video kicks in around the 2:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCoAh4OPYjY[/quote]

this looks like an interesting solution. i looked into the microsoft xbox 360 gamepad for windows and from the reviews ive read, people do not have issue with the range of the controller... as some people say they use it in a different room from their pc. this is probably the route im going to go. thanks for this suggestion! btw, that HTPC is running windows 2000 yet it can run cpu intense games without issue????? what kind of specs does that thing have and why is it running win2k?

[quote name='vihit']You might want to check if the HDMI port on your video card will function when both DVI connections are used. Some video cards will only work with 1 DVI and 1 HDMI or 2 DVIs, but not all 3 simultaneously. The reason for this is that 1 of the DVIs and the HDMI actually share resources as opposed to being an independent connection.[/quote]

hi, thanks for this suggestion. however, i am positive that my 9800 gx2 supports the use of all three ports simultaneously.

[quote name='lolwaut']this looks like an interesting solution. i looked into the microsoft xbox 360 gamepad for windows and from the reviews ive read, people do not have issue with the range of the controller... as some people say they use it in a different room from their pc. this is probably the route im going to go. thanks for this suggestion! btw, that HTPC is running windows 2000 yet it can run cpu intense games without issue????? what kind of specs does that thing have and why is it running win2k?[/quote]

If the xbox 360 controller can do it, then go for it. I've got the Logitech rumblepad, and that thing has excellent range for not being BT. Since it also the remote for my DVR, I can pretty much make dinner in the kitchen, and keep the gamepad nearby to fast-forward, pause, rewind, etc. with zero issues/ zero delays.

Was running Win2k because I hadn't upgraded to XP yet. Though, it is a dual-core with about 2GB ram; I have an nVidia 8800gt, but don't remember if (during the making of the video) I had that card yet or if I was using the onboard video. Good little media center/ PC gaming "console".

bread's done
Back