Gateway FX7024 w/free game for 1200 @ Best Buy

Admiral Moo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Any thoughts on the rig Best Buy is selling this week for pretty cheap? I'm seriously thinking about buying this because it has basically everything I've been looking for on custom-PC builder websites, for a lot cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. Throw in the huge monitor and the free game, and it looks pretty sweet.

My only major concerns with it are to make sure it can be upgraded in the future and that the quad core is only 2.4 gigs. Anybody out there have this system or care to share their thoughts? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

System Specs:
  • Warranty Terms - Parts
    1 year limited
  • Warranty Terms - Labor
    1 year limited
  • Product Height
    15.6"
  • Product Width
    7.2"
  • Product Weight
    21.8 lbs.
  • Product Depth
    16.1"
  • Processor Brand
    Intel®
  • Processor Platform
    Intel® Viiv(TM)
  • Processor
    Intel® Core(TM)2 Quad
  • Processor Speed
    2.4GHz
  • System Bus
    1066MHz
  • Cache Memory
    4MB + 4MB on die Level 2
  • System Memory (RAM)
    3GB
  • System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
    8GB
  • Type of Memory (RAM)
    PC2-5300 DDR2
  • Hard Drive Type
    SATA II (7200 rpm)
  • Hard Drive Size
    500GB
  • Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
  • Video Memory
    512MB (dedicated)
  • Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
    No
  • TV Tuner
    No
  • MPEG
    Yes
  • Audio
    High-definition audio (7.1-channel support)
  • Speakers
    Amplified stereo
  • Built-in Web Cam
    No
  • Modem
    56 Kbps* ITU V.92 *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
  • Network Card
    Built-in Intel® 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
  • Wireless Networking
    None
  • Recordable DVD Drive
    Yes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
  • Recordable DVD Drive Speeds
    8x DVD+R DL; 8x DVD-R DL; 18x8x16 DVD+RW; 18x6x16 DVD-RW; 12x DVD-RAM; 48x32x48 CD-RW
  • Direct-Disc Labeling
    Yes
  • Digital Media Reader or Slots
    Yes, digital media card reader
  • Total Expansion Bays
    3 (3.5"), 2 (5.25"), 1 Portable Media Drive Bay
  • Available Expansion Bays
    1 (3.5"), 1 (5.25"), 1 Portable Media Drive
  • Total Expansion Slots
    1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2
  • Available Expansion Slots
    2 PCI-E x1
  • USB 2.0 Ports
    8 (2 front, 6 rear)
  • IEEE 1394 Ports
    2 (1 front, 1 rear)
  • S-Video Outputs
  • Additional Audio/Video Connectors
    2 DVI-I, 7 audio
  • Serial Ports
    None
  • Parallel Ports
    None
  • Game Ports
    None
  • Keyboard Description
    Multimedia
  • Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.)
    USB optical 2-button wheel mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Software Included
    Microsoft Works 9.0, Money Essentials; Gateway BigFix; Adobe Reader and more
Thanks again folks!

It's alright. You could build the same thing for around 700-800 probably with better ram. It was kinda hard to read that the way it was formatted so I didn't go through all of it because alot of it was useless info like the size of the case. If you want to know any parts to build your own just ask.

Edit:
Oh, also, does that come with a monitor? If not, I would say that's not really a good deal.

Intel Core 2 Quad Core 2.4 gig
3 gig RAM
Geforce 8800GT 512 MB

Those are the basic specs.

Yes, it comes with a 22" LCD monitor.

I know I could build it myself for cheaper, but I neither have the time, nor energy to put into this right now, and it seems like it will suit my needs and provide a basic set up for me to mess around with later.

If you have 1200 dollars to spend, go ahead. Pay your bills first, because it wouldn't be cool sitting out doors homeless with a new computer and nothing to use it on haha.

All jokes aside lol, um anything from gateway gets my vote. I would say that spending over 1,000 dollars for a computer is a bit steep, should of been 700 or 800 dollars.

Peace

In the front of BB's ad, it says no interest for 18 months when you spend over $699.99 worth of computer stuff. I'm guessing you will have to apply for the BB credit card, might be worth it for some people.

well its depends what kind game you going to play....i would suggest you get the Fx7020 with AMD LIVE Quad-Core 9600 Possessor, maybe im never a intel fan, but AMD always has better performance in gaming. With Fx7020 you only spend $100 dollar more and you can get the system with TV tuner (come with control)...but both system are top build gaming pc system..and with only $1000 $1099, nothing really can beat this price!

PS...well you said it come with a huge monitor...and i really suggest you get the Fx7020 with TV tune out~~watching TV on your computer WOOT!

that's a great deal w/ monitor! I just picked up an 8800gt for my system and it's like night and day. I'm about to start saving for a whole new system before long, it's gonna be my graduation gift to myself this fall! Woohoo

[quote name='crazybear']well its depends what kind game you going to play....i would suggest you get the Fx7020 with AMD LIVE Quad-Core 9600 Possessor, maybe im never a intel fan, but AMD always has better performance in gaming. With Fx7020 you only spend $100 dollar more and you can get the system with TV tuner (come with control)...but both system are top build gaming pc system..and with only $1000 $1099, nothing really can beat this price!

PS...well you said it come with a huge monitor...and i really suggest you get the Fx7020 with TV tune out~~watching TV on your computer WOOT![/quote]

That amd advice is about 3 years late

This is actually a really good deal since you build this exact same computer entirely from scratch it's going to run you more right now even before shipping, which is always expensive for those heavy towers and monitors, and any other expenses. Can't forget that you get a pretty darn nice monitor with it that you'd be spending $350 to get otherwise. If my credit didn't suck so bad that I couldn't get a Best Buy card I'd have got one today.

The Phenoms are actually better when just compared to the Q's straight up because they're true quad core. The problem is that when you throw most applications at them almost nothing can utilize either chip properly so the Intel still wins. That and you do pretty much have to get a 7 series mobo and run two 3870's in Crossfire to get the most from it.

I just placed my order today and will pick it up tomorrow. I'll deal with changing the memory around in a few months, after I've recovered from buying this rig.

I already have a TV Tuner USB stick, so I'll just plug it into this computer and be up and running.

i am running a gateway and it sucks! i can build one cheaper nad a hell of a lot better than what i bought this one for 2 years ago.

I have this computer (with a 24' Westy Monior) and it rocks! Plays every game on max settings. Team Fortress 2 is smooth as butter with maxed settings in 32 player servers. I'm playing through Crysis right now at 1440x900 on all high settings with minimal frame rate hitches. I'm extremely pleased with it.

[quote name='gongoose']I have this computer (with a 24' Westy Monior) and it rocks! Plays every game on max settings. Team Fortress 2 is smooth as butter with maxed settings in 32 player servers. I'm playing through Crysis right now at 1440x900 on all high settings with minimal frame rate hitches. I'm extremely pleased with it.[/quote]
Just curious, what resolution do you run TF2 at?

The max res on a 24'' is 1920x1200.

I can run TF2 at that res with medium settings on my 3.5 year old rig. Either my Radeon 9800pro or the Source Engine is doing something right...maybe both :)

bread's done
Back