Gatling Gears purchase from Steam requires Origin

mietha

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The just released Gatling Gears on Steam requires the god-awful EA platform Origin to play. Basically, you are just buying a code to activate on Origin. First off, isn't this backwards? But anyway, I guess this is how valve has lured EA back. Sort of. Personally, I will NEVER buy a game on Origin, and I'm actually sad to see valve selling anything that requires it. I'm sorry, no longer owning a game if you've not played it in two years is pretty much the opposite of steam. They should really include that tidbit in the paragraph of all caps disclaimer down at the bottom of the GG page.

People opposed Steam when it was first released as well. Hopefully Origin will get better but as of right now, I'll stick with buying games on Steam that activate on Steam.

Competition is a good thing, but steam is doing such a good job without much competition already. So not sure how things will go from here.

[quote name='DeathDream']People opposed Steam when it was first released as well. Hopefully Origin will get better but as of right now, I'll stick with buying games on Steam that activate on Steam.

Competition is a good thing, but steam is doing such a good job without much competition already. So not sure how things will go from here.[/QUOTE]

People opposed steam when it launched because it sucked, was a cluster****, and was one of the buggiest releases in history. Not to mention that having to activate a game every time you went to play it thing. Origin, as far as I know, runs ok, it just has many, many bad policies. And there is no competition. EA is pulling everything from steam to put on origin (Crysis 2, Dragon Age II, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Battlefield 3, etc.). That is the opposite of competition.

[quote name='mietha']And there is no competition. EA is pulling everything from steam to put on origin (Crysis 2, Dragon Age II, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Battlefield 3, etc.). That is the opposite of competition.[/QUOTE]

You grabbed the wrong idea from that. I'm talking about Origin taking other games other than the ones they make. It's bound to happen, just a matter of when. Thus competition.

[quote name='DeathDream']People opposed Steam when it was first released as well. Hopefully Origin will get better but as of right now, I'll stick with buying games on Steam that activate on Steam.

Competition is a good thing, but steam is doing such a good job without much competition already. So not sure how things will go from here.[/QUOTE]
I did oppose Steam when it launched. I had the thought that since digital distribution didn't have to rely on shelf space to move merchandise, games would never go on sale, they would always stay at a set price.

I'm very pleased that Steam proved me wrong.

Now, EA on the other hand, has never (as far as I know) put any DLC from any of their games on sale. The main games have been on sale (more than likely to compete with Steam and others) but since EA has basically a monopoly on the DLC, it's never been on sale. This worries me, especially if they start releasing Origin-exclusive stuff.

I actually have Origin installed and have 2 games on it but have never even played the games yet and I got them when EA had the big $5 digital pc sale and the console game sale. In the end I still seem to like Steam over Origin since Steam seems to have more content on it and a better community idea for friends and such.

I'm sure origin will get better over time and eventually be integrated as a hub for all EA games. Even for consoles. Like what we saw for Steam with Portal 2 on PS3.

Either way competition breeds excellence.

bread's done
Back