GB Micro or GBA SP? Puzzle Fighter or Puyo Pop?

nakedsushi

CAGiversary!
I have a gift giving question. I want to get a friend either a Micro or SP for Christmas. He's not much of a gamer, but does like puzzle games and will play Meteos on my DS once in a while. He doesn't want me to get him anything super expensive, so a DS is out of the question, and I feel like it would be a waste of a DS if all he's going to play is Meteos on it. So, two questions:

Should I get him Super Puzzle Fighter (GBA) or Puyo Pop (GBA)? Both he and I have played Super Puzzle Fighter and he likes it. I've played Puyo Pop in it's SNES incarnations and thought it was pretty fun, but never tried the GBA version. Which one has more replay value?

Also, should I get him a Micro or one of the new SPs? I'm leaning towards the micro because it's small and can fit in his pocket, but if I get Puyo Pop, would we still be able to play multiplayer on a single cartridge with him and the micro and me on either the DS or my GBA SP?

[quote name='nakedsushi']Also, should I get him a Micro or one of the new SPs? I'm leaning towards the micro because it's small and can fit in his pocket, but if I get Puyo Pop, would we still be able to play multiplayer on a single cartridge with him and the micro and me on either the DS or my GBA SP?[/QUOTE]
As far as I know in my extremely limited knowledge, the DS can't play GBA games multiplayer, so that one is out of the question, but since you apparently have a GBA, that's a moot point.

I would just say keep in mind that the Micro is $20 more than the SP.

Puyo Pop (GBA) - Average: 8.7 in 2 reviews

IGN - 9.0 http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/354/354258p1.html
Gamespot - 8.4 http://www.gamespot.com/gba/puzzle/puyopop/review.html

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (GBA) - Average: 8.4 in 10 reviews

IGN - 8.0 http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/391/391921p1.html
Gamespot - 7.7 http://www.gamespot.com/gba/puzzle/superpuzzlefighter2turbo/review.html

Looks like both run for about 20 bucks.

As for deciding between SP and micro, it would be a personally choice. SP has a 2.9 inch screen while the micro only has a 2 inch screen. CNET says the micro has a brighter screen but maybe the review was written before backlit SPs were released. Personally I would go with the bigger screen (if the backlit SPs are as bright as micros) but then again I don't put a lot of value in it being tiny. So I guess the choice is do you want a smaller handheld or a bigger screen?

One thing you have to remember about DS is there is no multiplayer on GBA games. If you want to play multiplayer with him, you'll have to play on your SP. I'm not sure if micro and sp can play multiplayer together but I'd assume they can since they take the same games.

I own an SP and DS, but i am asking for a micro for x-mas. The new SP's do have a brighter screen (on par with micro), but its really the size im looking at. Ive got a billion portable gadgets, and frankly it gets annoying when they take up an entire pocket each.

I'm also waiting for the Famicom micro, so i at least get something "special".

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']The DS can be had for as much as a Micro as long as this Target Ad Misprint is going on. Think about it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the DS is a bit too bulky for him I think. And a waste of a DS if he's only going to be playing one game on it.

[quote name='nakedsushi']Yeah, but the DS is a bit too bulky for him I think. And a waste of a DS if he's only going to be playing one game on it.[/QUOTE]
Well, with that said, any of these would be a waste for one game. I don't think Puyo Pop is worth $100+. So if thats all he would ever use it for, get an old GBA off eBay or somethin for a lot less.

regarless of what system you get for him, super puzzle fighter is the game to get. best puzzle game ever. and no im not biased.

I love street fighter, but i cant get into puzzle fighter.

Another idea as far as puzzle games go, there will be a two pack of Dr. Mario and Puzzle Attack out soon (or now..not sure).

Get an SP over a Micro.

Now, onto the puzzle question...get NEITHER! Dr.Mario/Puzzle League just came out for GBA, and Puzzle League (also known as Tetris Attack) is unquestionably the greatest puzzle game ever made, ever. Sorry iheartmetal, but it's true.

puyo pop is my favorite puzzle game ever apart from the regular tetris...i could never get into puzzle fighter, mostly because it has so many rules and they don't seem to tie together logically to make one theme for the game...that and i felt more of it was based on luck.

i've probably never had as much fun playing a video game than playing puyo pop vs a friend.

about the gameboy: it's already pretty much been said, but to sum up:

-you can't play multiplayer gba games on a ds
-the micro is REALLY small, which can be good or bad depending on what your friend is looking for...the screen is smaller, but the system is more portable. it's also $20 more and can't play old gameboy games. the sp is also pretty portable, but if super-portability is your friend's #1 priority, that's the way to go.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Get an SP over a Micro.

Now, onto the puzzle question...get NEITHER! Dr.Mario/Puzzle League just came out for GBA, and Puzzle League (also known as Tetris Attack) is unquestionably the greatest puzzle game ever made, ever. Sorry iheartmetal, but it's true.[/QUOTE]

i hate you :)

I personally love Puzzle Fighter and would recommend that. But also would recommend what Blind the Thief was talking about. Puzzle League is quite an amazing puzzle game, and has endless hours of play on it (as well as Puzzle Fighter)

Conclusion? Get both Puzzle Fighter and the Dr Mario/Puzzle League two pack.

I'm sorry, but other than FF4 and Earthbound 3, there are hardly ANY new, worthwhile games coming out for the SP.

The only reason I returned my Graphite backlit SP after one night was this realization.

And the following franchises will get new games on the DS:
-Super Mario Bros
-Legend of Zelda
-Metroid Prime
-Super Smash Bros (possibly)

Why get a GBA when the system is near the end? The biggest scam nintendo ever pulled was the micro, a redesign for a system running out of new games.

you can also get puyo puyo fever on the DS, a great game.

also where can i get puzzle fighter for $20?

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']

Why get a GBA when the system is near the end? The biggest scam nintendo ever pulled was the micro, a redesign for a system running out of new games.[/QUOTE]

because some people don't care about new games

[quote name='asianxcore']i hate you :)

I personally love Puzzle Fighter and would recommend that. But also would recommend what Blind the Thief was talking about. Puzzle League is quite an amazing puzzle game, and has endless hours of play on it (as well as Puzzle Fighter)

Conclusion? Get both Puzzle Fighter and the Dr Mario/Puzzle League two pack.[/QUOTE]

I hate you, too.

...but I agree, get both.

I have all 3 i love my micro for 2 reasons one it's purple he he and 2 it is much easier to take around than the sp for my harvest moon addiction, but it doesn't play origional game boy games, so if he ever wanted to say pick up an old tetris for cheap and had the micro it wouldn't work, because of it's lack of backwords compatibility i would go SP.

Get the DS from Target and get him Puyo Pop Fever. 8 player multiplayer on one cart. Puzzle Fighter is a great game, but it takes two copies for multiplayer and the single player gets old fast. If you're the only one who is their friend that's fine, but it's not exactly the type of game you run across often. If you do decide to pass on the DS, don't get a micro. It's like a mini-iPod without the value pricing. It's a total vanity item for gamers.

[quote name='nakedsushi']Yeah, but the DS is a bit too bulky for him I think. And a waste of a DS if he's only going to be playing one game on it.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind how many unique games the DS is coming out with for the "non-gamer," though... and that he can play any SP game on it.

Otherwise, my vote would be for the SP... but I think the micro is just too small, so it's my own personal opinion.

Of course, I'm female, so anything I want to tote along can go in my purse... I suppose that makes a difference. I know... get him the DS and tell him to get a girlfriend that will carry it around in her purse for him ;)

Ash

i should also mention that puyo pop and puyo puyo fever play a lot differently than one would think. i have both, but i prefer puyo pop because of the more balanced gameplay (i'd have 10+ minute matches with my friend where one of us would be seconds away from losing but then pull ourself out; i've found that because of the fever mode, this is a lot more uncommon in puyo pop fever).

get Dr mario / Puzzle League

Puzzle League (aka Tettris Attack aka Panel de Pon) is the greatest puzzle game EVER!

not only that, byut one of the best game ever

[quote name='JEKKI']get Dr mario / Puzzle League

Puzzle League (aka Tettris Attack aka Panel de Pon) is the greatest puzzle game EVER!

not only that, byut one of the best game ever[/QUOTE]

i just ordered pokemon puzzle challenge for gbc after trying this game out...$30 is way too much for this if i already have dr mario...i'm excited to get into it (i really like rampage puzzle attack for gba)

[quote name='Concealed Identity']i just ordered pokemon puzzle challenge for gbc after trying this game out...$30 is way too much for this if i already have dr mario...i'm excited to get into it (i really like rampage puzzle attack for gba)[/QUOTE]I donno what that is, but...

if it's a regular game boy version of tetris attack, BAD LUCK!

it runs too slow ruining the gameplay,

further since it's at a different framerate there's a lot of tricks u wouldnt be able to do.

[quote name='PleasantOne']I know... get him the DS and tell him to get a girlfriend that will carry it around in her purse for him ;)

Ash[/QUOTE]

LOL I don't want to carry it for him. My purse is already too heavy from my DS. We decided on a $40 gift budget so the DS is out of question anyway. I thought about giving him my old GBA SP and just buying both Super Puzzle Fighter and Puzzle League for him, but I'm rather attached to my NES GBA SP =(

[quote name='JEKKI']I donno what that is, but...

if it's a regular game boy version of tetris attack, BAD LUCK!

it runs too slow ruining the gameplay,

further since it's at a different framerate there's a lot of tricks u wouldnt be able to do.[/QUOTE]

He's talking about the GBC version. That game runs much smoother.

Interestingly enough, though, it doesn't have as long of a pause after clearing blocks, reducing the amount of combos you can feasibly get.

Still a great f'n game.

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']He's talking about the GBC version. That game runs much smoother.

Interestingly enough, though, it doesn't have as long of a pause after clearing blocks, reducing the amount of combos you can feasibly get.

Still a great f'n game.[/QUOTE]

yea that's the one

about the pause, are you comparing it to tetris attack or to puzzle league?

[quote name='Concealed Identity']yea that's the one

about the pause, are you comparing it to tetris attack or to puzzle league?[/QUOTE]

Comparing it to Tetris Attack or Pokemon Puzzle League on the N64. You would think the slowdown would have been easy to recreate on a weaker system, but it must have just been a different team that didn't understand the subtlety of the pause.

I'm interested to see how Puzzle League turned out. Again, it's probably going to come down to the development team understanding the nuances. Either way, the game will be great of course :)

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']I'm interested to see how Puzzle League turned out. Again, it's probably going to come down to the development team understanding the nuances. Either way, the game will be great of course :)[/QUOTE]

It feels exactly like Tetris Attack to me, so no worries. :)

If you're going to only get Puyo Pop or Super Puzzle Fighter then I would personally go with Puyo Pop since i've had much more fun with the endless puzzle mode than I ever had with Super Puzzle Fighter, Puyo Pop also has a cute little storymode. I have to agree with the majority here and tell you just to choose the Dr Mario/Tetris Attack aka Puzzle League aka Panel de Pon double pack.

I'd go for the new SP over the Micro mainly for the bigger screen, clamshell design, and the ability to play the entire GameBoy library (if he decides to get older games)

We need some Puyo Puyo Love here!

I'm throwing my vote for Puyo Pop, however when playing the game you feel like you've been turned into a 10 year old Japanese school girl....

I have to admit, you picked quite the choice for 2 games to choose from, but if anything, your better off getting the Dr. Mario/Puzzle League cart, as you get 2 games that are well worth it in the pack, also on par with Puyo, and Puzzle Fighter.

I tried out the Micro at the local EB. I found the damn thing to just be too small for my hands. It's great that it's small, but I found it to be irritatingly uncomfortable in comparison to the SP. ALso, I like the SP's larger screen.

[quote name='nakedsushi']I have a gift giving question. I want to get a friend either a Micro or SP for Christmas. He's not much of a gamer, but does like puzzle games and will play Meteos on my DS once in a while. He doesn't want me to get him anything super expensive, so a DS is out of the question, and I feel like it would be a waste of a DS if all he's going to play is Meteos on it. So, two questions:

Should I get him Super Puzzle Fighter (GBA) or Puyo Pop (GBA)? Both he and I have played Super Puzzle Fighter and he likes it. I've played Puyo Pop in it's SNES incarnations and thought it was pretty fun, but never tried the GBA version. Which one has more replay value?

Also, should I get him a Micro or one of the new SPs? I'm leaning towards the micro because it's small and can fit in his pocket, but if I get Puyo Pop, would we still be able to play multiplayer on a single cartridge with him and the micro and me on either the DS or my GBA SP?[/QUOTE]

SPs are way cheaper and even better designed than the lame ass micro, likewise Puzzle Fighter offers up a more replaybale experience.

speaking of Pokemon Puzzle League for N64, does anybody know how to play 2-player on this thing?

i went to the 2-player versus mode to play with somebody, we picked our characters, but the 2nd player was always controlled by the computer. what's going on?

[quote name='Concealed Identity']speaking of Pokemon Puzzle League for N64, does anybody know how to play 2-player on this thing?

i went to the 2-player versus mode to play with somebody, we picked our characters, but the 2nd player was always controlled by the computer. what's going on?[/QUOTE]

did both of you already register new names/profiles in the game?

[quote name='asianxcore']did both of you already register new names/profiles in the game?[/QUOTE]

yeah i had one profile i had been using, the other player registered a new name...we also tried it using the same name and using "guest" for each of the players, but none of this worked

I ended up getting Puzzle League. We haven't played much of Dr. Mario, but the other game, Puzzle League, is strangely addictive in a "omg this is so simple, why are we still playing this?!" kind of way.

bread's done
Back