GB Micro: Too Small?

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!
I've got to pick up some presents for a couple of friends who are ex gamers. One spends alot of time on the road and doesn't always have time to game anymore, the other rides a bus into the city.

Since they both have MP3 players I was thinking maybe the Gameboy Micro might be a good idea....but a couple of questions popped up after that.

Is the screen on this thing TOO small to game on? If I picked up Advance Wars for it,would it be impossible to play? Would it be smarter for me to just grab the Clamshell Advanced? Having a system with a screen that small is cute and fun and all, that is, until its sitting in your drawer like a $80 dollar paperweight.

Are there any decent driving games for this system?? EVen the DS can't seem to get a decent driving game, so I'm wondering if there are any for the GBA.

I'd even up the expenditure and think about DS's, but frankly, they're just too big, heavy, clunky..whatever..and so far the games dont seem to impress me too much.

I dunno.....is the micro too much fad? Are the new GBA's better, while being not all tha tmuch bigger, with the larger screen? Stumped...

PS: I'd up them both to DS's but I'm not sure they'll dig the size....the idea here is to go Small.....I'd have to buy these before the end of the month so the redesign DS, if its not a rumor, is out.

I don't think it is too small. It is actually larger than what I had imagined. The screen is ultra-sharp, and the games look fantastic on it.

I've only seen the micro, never played on it, but it looks too small for even my little girl hands. :) The screen would probably kill my eyes too, way too small. I've heard its hard to read text on it too, but I've never experienced it personally.

Plus the shape, I like the SP/old style shape so much better, but I guess it depends how big your hands are and how you hold it. One thing I think the SP really has going for it is the clamshell design, because if it's in your bag then the screen can't get scratched or anything.

I think the DS would actually be better than the micro, but if you're going for size, then probably not. The GBA has plenty of games in its library already.

I got a sp I don't think I'll be getting a micro. If I were buying a new one I'd probably go with the micro, I don't think it plays original gb games though. All the zelda's ever released are great some good gb color ones. Plus tetris is way better than the tet advanced world version. I love me some tetris.

Now on to the racin gamies! ~GT3 for the gb advanced is a really nice racing game if not THE BEST.~ I play it over and over. Drome racers if you can find it is a nice arcady one too with weapons, real 3dish graphics, and enviornments. Then there is NFS underground 2 solid car customizing/racing game as well. NFS Most wanted I hear is descent. Krazy Racers is a Great! Mario Kart game, maybe better than mario kart due to racer unlockables. Of course big daddy Mario Kart. I own em all cept for most wanted. All are extremely fun racing games. The graphics arent perfect but they are all extremely fun games. Only thing with GB is I find it hard to get good dealies on new or even used games.

There are a ton of gr8t strategy and rpg games. You are a hellava nice friend for getting kewl gift for your friends man! I held out till the SP came out and there are a ton of fun GBA choices.

I had the micro for a day. I returned it becuase the screen was way too small in my opinion. I'd go for a DS...yeah its a little bigger but with the GBA/DS game lineup its hard to beat.

Ok here' another question for you all: WHERE THE HELL DO YOU FIND GAMES!?!?!

I was looking at Gamespot and seeing some of their top-rated games....and the more i saw driving games that looked cool I almost said "Hmmm, I'll get one myself!". But then I actually went looking....EB onlne and Gamestop both have abolustely terrible GBA game selections!

Nothing in stock thats used, and nothing in stock thats new...WTF..??

Where do you buy these games....that top-down Racing Gears Advanced looks like great fun, except for the fact that I can't find it anywhere....??!?

That's because the GBA is dying off, despite deluded people who would say other wise. No major new games on the horizon (ok, other than Mother 3)...its all in the DS now...I would get a DS.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']If anything it's too big to be called the "micro".[/QUOTE]

Agreed. As said before, it was bigger than I expected. As far as the screen/scratches go, the user-changeable covers have the screen protector built in, so if it gets scratched up too bad, just pop on a new cover. I think it comes with 2 or 3 in the box.

I also agree that the DS is the better buy right now, unless you've got a lot of the GB or GBC games that you want to keep playing.

[quote name='magikman']I also agree that the DS is the better buy right now, unless you've got a lot of the GB or GBC games that you want to keep playing.[/QUOTE]
But the micro doesn't play those either. In my mind it's a DSvsSP choice

[quote name='magikman']As far as the screen/scratches go, the user-changeable covers have the screen protector built in, so if it gets scratched up too bad, just pop on a new cover. I think it comes with 2 or 3 in the box.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know about the faceplates having screen protectors, that's sorta cool. I still would recommend a GBA SP or a DS over the GBA micro though.

i have a ds, a clamshell sp and the micro.

the micro is the only system that doesnt cramp my fingers.

ive only played klonoa and ffIV on it so far.

I'm probably going to bag this idea...I didn't realize how freakin difficult it is to find stupid GBA games. Seems like every one thats highly rated online is unavailable for purchase if its more than a year old.....

*sigh*

the size of the GB Micro doesn't really bother me. I thought it would at first, but after playing through 3/4ths of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on it, my worries were put to rest. then again it isn't for everyone, and I have friends that think it's way too small.

I agree with those that have said that the Micro is not "too small." I often preffer to take it with me when I go out and might have to wait somewhere. The sp and the DS seem really bulky in comparison to the Micro. I don't even want to play on the DS anymore since the micro. The ds' screen is just too dim.

As to the availability of games. If it's good then most likely its rare. If it's rare then expect to pay retail, even for used ones. Rarely do I find good deals on hot games. EB games, gamestop, and other places where you can get used carts always want a lot of cash. I once saw a Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for 34.99 cart only at Gamestop.

[quote name='HeadRusch']I've got to pick up some presents for a couple of friends who are ex gamers. One spends alot of time on the road and doesn't always have time to game anymore, the other rides a bus into the city.

Since they both have MP3 players I was thinking maybe the Gameboy Micro might be a good idea....but a couple of questions popped up after that.

Is the screen on this thing TOO small to game on? If I picked up Advance Wars for it,would it be impossible to play? Would it be smarter for me to just grab the Clamshell Advanced? Having a system with a screen that small is cute and fun and all, that is, until its sitting in your drawer like a $80 dollar paperweight.

Are there any decent driving games for this system?? EVen the DS can't seem to get a decent driving game, so I'm wondering if there are any for the GBA.

I'd even up the expenditure and think about DS's, but frankly, they're just too big, heavy, clunky..whatever..and so far the games dont seem to impress me too much.

I dunno.....is the micro too much fad? Are the new GBA's better, while being not all tha tmuch bigger, with the larger screen? Stumped...

PS: I'd up them both to DS's but I'm not sure they'll dig the size....the idea here is to go Small.....I'd have to buy these before the end of the month so the redesign DS, if its not a rumor, is out.[/QUOTE]

I play Advance Wars all the time on my Micro with no issues. I haven't played any RPGs or text-heavy games (unless you count Adv. Wars) on my Micro yet, but I haven't had any trouble with the screen with other games. It is much clearer than the older GBA and even the DS.

The Micro is the best Gameboy yet.

It is what the original GBA should have been. I don't like the SP because of it's square design and it cramps my hands. The original GBA I liked a lot, but the screen was horrible.

For older gba games just go froogle. There are a lot of em and online you can find certain really good games that are really old for a great new game price. But in general due to the GBA being on flash carts which are hard to make and hard to hoard in large used gaming quantities you won't get any good used game deals. I usually end up buying new.

Guys, how many of these GBA games can be played on more than one GBA with just 1 cart? IE: Can advance wars be played 2 player with only 1 copy of the cart? how about some of those highly-reviewed racing games?

bread's done
Back