GBA Hidden Gems/Recommendations

ChernobylCow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Hey guys, I had a GBA SP back in the day but now am interested in more titles to play on my DS lite. I've spent way too much time sifting through Gamerankings so now I want to ask my fellow CAGs.

Currently I have only:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (in the mail from Goozex)
Gunstar Super Heroes (in the mail from Goozex)
Metroid Fusion (wow the story/presentation has really impressed me. I felt the prime games were stale and lacked character).

I am interested in:
Warioland 4
Legend of Zelda: minish cap
Spider-man: Mysterio's Menace
Mario & Luigi: Superstar saga

Anyone have any carts they pop in regularly?

How about some turn-based strategy? Fire Emblem is my favorite series for GBA, and Advance Wars 1&2 are supposed to be pretty good, too (not sure how I never got to them since they're made by the folks who made Fire Emblem, but they're next in my portable games queue).

My husband enjoyed the Castlevania games on GBA. A more obscure title I liked was the import game Kuru Kuru Kururin (rotating stick puzzle game with cute birds).

Astroboy
Drill Dozer
Car Battler Joe
Gardian Heroes Advance
River City Ransom
Castlevania (all 3)

Theres sooo many great GBA games. Those are just the first few I thought of. I have almost 100 GBA games and most of them are great.

I can't really recommend Wario Land 4. I loved Wario Land 2 on the GBC, but this one felt different in a bad way. It might just be me, but I think there are much better carts you can pick up first.

M&L Superstar Saga is a godly game. If you like RPGs, get this one. It's fairly deep and involving for a game aimed at a younger audience and has a really fresh battle system. The game is fairly easy though. You also have to watch out for areas where you could be stuck for hours trying to figure out where to go.

As for games I recommend:

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Pokemon Emerald
All of the Mario Advance Titles
Any of the Advance Wars Games
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - Four Swords Adventure

Pinball of the Dead
Sigma Star Saga
X-Com
Ninja Five-O
Fire Pro Wrestling
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Harvest Moon
Boktai
Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak
Wade Hixton Counter Punch (Punch Out Clone)

[quote name='whiptcracker']Pinball of the Dead
Sigma Star Saga
X-Com
Ninja Five-O
Fire Pro Wrestling
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Harvest Moon
Boktai
Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak
Wade Hixton Counter Punch (Punch Out Clone)[/QUOTE]

I have every one of those except for Hamtaro. :D

I've got Aria of Sorrow for the GBA, and Advance Guardian Heroes. Aria was really good, but I haven't played AGH much.

I wrote this article about GBA gems three years ago. However, it's still very much relevant.

Games mentioned:
Shining Soul II
Rayman 3
Lunar Legend
The King of Fighters EX2: Howling Blood
WarioWare, Inc: Mega Microgame$
Sonic Advance 2
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town

If you like turn-based strategy games, then I would recommend LOTR: The Third Age. A solid but under-appreciated game.

Highly recommended (already mentioned):

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
LoZ: The Minish Cap
Metroid Zero Mission
Golden Sun 1/2
Advance Wars 1/2
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: SS
Tactics Ogre

Thanks, everyone. I encourage folks to keep this thread going. @Rozz, I appreciate the article. I like it when folks have written out reasoning behind their choices. So I have: mario superstar , megaman zero coming in from goozex. I will keep the others in mindwhen thrift shopping. I can't recommend metroid fusion highly enough. Classic gaming.

If you're into weird puzzle games It's Mr Pants (yes that's the actual title) is pretty great. I'd imagine it's impossible to find nowadays seeing as it was pretty hard to find when it came out back in 05. I think I found it at Mervyns. Also you can't go wrong with Hamtaro Ham Ham Olympics. ;)

Golden Sun 1 & 2 are great RPG games for the GBA

Fire Emblem is one of my favorite SRPG series. I have purchased every one that came out and found none to disappoint. There are 2 of these on GBA as well as one on DS, Gamecube, and Wii.

[quote name='Rozz']I wrote this article about GBA gems three years ago. However, it's still very much relevant.

Games mentioned:
Shining Soul II
Rayman 3
Lunar Legend
The King of Fighters EX2: Howling Blood
WarioWare, Inc: Mega Microgame$
Sonic Advance 2
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town[/QUOTE]

I've got a copy of Rayman 3 but only put maybe 10 minutes into it. It didn't grab me right away, but I suppose I should give it more of a chance.

I'll concur with Mario Kart Super Circuit and the Mario Advance games obviously. I need to play more GBA games. But also don't leave out good GB and GBC games. Super Mario Land 2 is a must-have, for example. Great Mario platformer. Of course you'll need a GBA SP or earlier to play that. DS is no good for that. I also like Mole Mania.

Mentioned already, but I'm currently playing Mario vs. Donkey Kong and I'm really enjoying it. Half platformer, half puzzle game and it'll probably keep you interested.

bread's done
Back