GBA Micro system $30 new in-store @ Circuit City - YMMV!

waxHead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
Went to Circuit City a few days ago to look for some of the clearance games, and found the last GBA Micro (regular edition - non-anniversary) behind the customer service counter. It rang up as $29.99, which is a great deal for this little hand-held system. YMMV, good luck! :cool:

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure this is the silver GBA Micro with three different faceplates, though most likely all of them are $30.

I keep wanting one of these...but I don't have many GBA games that are yet unplayed, and my DSlite works great. It's just so small, and would be great for the bus...

Must resist tracking one down.....

looks like i got somethin to do at lunch now. i've been waiting for this price point. love gameboy advance games. reminds me of my snes days. i still haven't played my zelda: minish cap yet so this will give me more motivation. i used to love my SP until the R button was acting funky and i traded it in for mario ds.

The micro's screen rocks. It's really clear and bright. I play Fire Emblem on mine and have no problem reading all the text.

I'm really surprised people are still finding these things. I've never seen them in my Circuit Citys.

[quote name='raginasian85']looks like i got somethin to do at lunch now. i've been waiting for this price point. love gameboy advance games. reminds me of my snes days. i still haven't played my zelda: minish cap yet so this will give me more motivation. i used to love my SP until the R button was acting funky and i traded it in for mario ds.[/quote]

I played through Minish Cap on my Micro, fantastic game!

[quote name='daminion']The micro's screen rocks. It's really clear and bright. I play Fire Emblem on mine and have no problem reading all the text.

I'm really surprised people are still finding these things. I've never seen them in my Circuit Citys.[/quote]

great! that's exactly what i was worried about. i wasn't sure if the screen was too small that it would be hard to read text.

[quote name='raginasian85']great! that's exactly what i was worried about. i wasn't sure if the screen was too small that it would be hard to read text.[/quote]
Some ppl here haven't liked the screen due to it's small size, but I've found that it's so bright and clear, text really pops out on it. For $30, I'm sure you could sell/trade it here and at least get your money back if you don't like it.

EDIT:

Obviously I'm a huge fan of this system. I bought two about a year ago for my gf and I from TRU (they were ~$35), and we both love them.

Really great system. I carry mine to work and play it on my lunchbreak alot. The screen is really bright and clear. I've played all the Final Fantasy RPGs on the Micro and I'm playing thru Fire Emblem right now, so reading the text is not an issue at all.

[quote name='daminion']The micro's screen rocks. It's really clear and bright. I play Fire Emblem on mine and have no problem reading all the text.

I'm really surprised people are still finding these things. I've never seen them in my Circuit Citys.[/quote]

Fire Emblem is pure sex on the micro's screen. Definitely one of the games that looks the best on it. I have the anniversary edition and love it.

can't pass this deal. im going to a cc i know that has one but they have the famicom edition though. I wonder how much those are.

I'm just posting to agree with all of the other posters. The Micro is a fantastic system and gets more use than even my Lite these days.

I've had the black with silver faceplate system and the red, pokemon special edition system. I lost my black one, so I was forced to open the special edition one.

I'm currently playing through FFIV right now and you just cannot beat the portableness of this little system. Even if you have jeans on, you can throw it in its little pouch in your pocket and never even know it's there.

In summary, if you can find one of these for $30, I would jump on it. In fact, if I find one, I will most likely grab another one myself for that price, just to have a backup.

Completely agree....the Micro is incredibly fun. I'd love to carry my DS around with me everywhere but it's just not small enough...the Micro definitely is. Perfect for whenever you have a few minutes to kill waiting...

it would be great to have one right now to kill time til lunch to see if can get one...hmmmm, paradox. is that a paradox?

aahhh whatever........motorboat!!! :booty:

none around me... i checked CC at bailey's crossroads and springfield in VA. i hate their customer service, they only had one person and it was taking forever. reminds me why everyone hates CC. i hate it when they don't go and check either.

looks like i'll have to wait for another clearance.

Hell, I bought the anniversary edition Micro for $50 very recently at Wal-Mart, and I feel that even at that price, the Micro has been worth it.

The Micro has a very bright, clear screen that is right on par with the DS Lite's screens in terms of brightness and is also truly portable. That's right, no extra case needed to lug it around! (Although, the cases available for it are obviously small and don't add too much bulk to what you would be carrying)

I give the system a thumbs up and do recommend it!

(FF V and VI just look fantastic ;))

[quote name='raginasian85']none around me... i checked CC at bailey's crossroads and springfield in VA. i hate their customer service, they only had one person and it was taking forever. reminds me why everyone hates CC. i hate it when they don't go and check either.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for saving me a trip but even more so for saving me the aggravation! Both those stores have NOTORIOUSLY bad customer service. I can't figure out how they survive!

They had a TON of these at my Wal-Mart for $30 on black friday and the following week that everyone passed up with no interest. Isn't this a universal price point now to get rid of em?

[quote name='AlphakirA']They had a TON of these at my Wal-Mart for $30 on black friday and the following week that everyone passed up with no interest. Isn't this a universal price point now to get rid of em?[/quote]

wierd, none of mine reduced them...another wally ymmv!

I would say that the Micro's screen is better than the DS Lite's screens. It's incredibly clear.

And like many have already said: Pair the Micro with the first Fire Emblem game and you have God's gift to portable gaming.

[quote name='DCGCPlayer']Thanks for saving me a trip but even more so for saving me the aggravation! Both those stores have NOTORIOUSLY bad customer service. I can't figure out how they survive![/quote]

yea no problem

don't worry i picked up enough aggravation for the both of us! it wasn't a total loss, at least i could pick up my much needed $2 chapstick... bastards.

BTW did you see the slickdeals post about the $300 40gb ps3s in sterling, va? it's a manager's special so i hear that it's store specific.

dam,i dont feel like spending 5 dollars for the metro to see if my local city has any gameboy micros.Ill go see if they have any tomorrow.

[quote name='slickkill77']I have a GBA micro 25th Anv edition that i dont use any more. If someone wants it with a gba game off of my list ill sell it for $25 shipped[/quote]

Is there any difference between this one and the normal black/silver models, other than the anniversary faceplate?

[quote name='GoAztecs']For that price I might have to check my local CC. Thanks OP![/quote]

No problem at all ;) I'm glad so many ppl responded - after the last few threads about the Micro, I almost didn't bother posting this!

[quote name='slickkill77']No just that[/quote]

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Sweet deal, but I do have a concern before I drop 30 bucks on one. The thing is obviously tiny, but will it cramp the shit ouf of my hands? Or is it difficult to hold because of it's size?

it would be awesome if I can find one. Circuit City's Gamer Savings membership is free with any Video Game Hardware Purchase so this would qualify. so it would be like getting 10% off games and asscessories for a year plus a Game Boy Micro for $30!

I love my Micro. Got the silver (w/black faceplate) originally but returned it and got the anniversary edition online. I bought an extra Famicom faceplate for it too in case my current one gets messed up and Nintendo stops selling it, I have a spare. Have been thinking about doing the same thing with the Micro's battery pack too.

IMO it's a really smart design the way they made the faceplate cover the entire front including the screen. That way if you have an accident and scratch the screen it's only the faceplate, easily replaceable for much less money (~$5) than replacing the LCD screen. It's like a built-in Hori screen protector!

Anyways it's a great little unit, the screen is small but very bright and clear- no problems reading text as I played through FF I and II on it. It's not any more uncomfortable on my hands than the DS is either. Battery life is great too, just keeps on going forever. I paid much more than $30 for mine and still think it was worth it.

Ruahrc

P.S. the D-pad and A B buttons are (noticeably) larger than the ones on the DS, despite the tiny size of the system. I read somewhere that these were the biggest D-pad and buttons of any game boy system, ironically on the smallest game boy ever made. Anyways the point is the large buttons also make it pretty easy to play.

P.P.S., sentimentally, the GBMicro is what brought me to CAG. I liked my new Micro so much (and it being my first GBA system ever) I wanted a gamecube-game boy connect cable for my micro. Sadly there was never an official one released, but I was led here by wikipedia where Troz had put up directions for making your own cable. I bought the parts and soldered up myself a GBM-GC cable and joined CAG. Ahh, memories! :)

I have always wanted one of these but thought the price was too high especially considering it's release date being so close to the DS's release. At this price, it's a must buy for me.

Now to find one.... :pray:

Thanks OP.

Never been big on the portables, but there's certainly times when I wish I had one. I've got a decent amount of gba games for my GC player too. Temptation rings...

I love mine too. I got a black with silver face plate one and traded a friend who had a silver with a black face plate. He got a silver on silver scheme and I got a black on black scheme. Both look pretty tight!!

The Circuit City, Target, Bestbuy, and Walmart in Gainesville are sold out and prolly wont stock them anymore. But the Gamestop has them for $50, which is a bit much for a GBM.

bread's done
Back