GBA Serial # Woes

Slim Gatsby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
96 (97%)
I bought my GBA SP used yeeears ago, used at GameCrazy, with the serial number barcode barely intact. After a few weeks, the sticker pretty much disintegrated (since its RIGHT where your fingers rest when playing).

Now its four years later and GameStop is giving $40 for it towards a NDS Lite -- I've already got one, but I'd love getting $40 off of the GH: On Tour or Pokemon bundle after letting the Zelda and Nintendogs bundles slip through my fingers and later skyrocket in value. Unfortunately, they won't take it back without the serial number.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Maybe some kind of template with online barcode generator? I never use my SP anymore since I have both a DS Lite and GBA Micro, and I plan on getting a better, backlit SP somewhere down the line should I come across one for cheap.

Thanks CAGs!

If you were to do that, it would stick out like a sore thumb. Home printed labels never look right. Plus if you don't have a valid serial number, their system will kick it out. Oh yeah and it's illegal. Some stores have to fill out all kinds of pawn information. Not worth it.

Does it show the serial # elsewhere, say on the box (if you still have it?)

Or- if you could find a really cheap broken GBA SP to borrow the serial sticker from...

Just a couple ideas

Ruahrc

The same thing happen to me as well, the serial number number just vanished within time. I tried trading it to Gamestop during those promotion deals, but they won't accept it without a barcode. So I went to ebay route. Surprisingly, Gameboy Sp nets pretty decent money last Christmas season. I got like $40 for old Nintendo Sp with no backlit.

For what it's worth, I think it's much easier to Ebay it then making your own barcode.

The stores in my area take them regardless of serial # (including my store) and its for all nintendo handhelds as well.

Yeah, some are more lenient to the rules. My friend wanted to trade in his DS but one gamestop wouldn't take it, but another one did.

Don't know how to help you know, but word from the wise: the moment you get any piece of electronic equipment, get some scotch tape and put it over the barcodes IMMEDIATELY after opening (use an exacto knife/razor for a cleaner look). It should literally be the first thing you do with any game system, audio/video equipment, laptop, etc.

This should be done with other sensitive things too. Best Buy Rewardzone cards are another example.

I've yet to come across a barcode sticker on any single item that is resistant to being worn away, and when I worked tech support, it was the bane of my existence when I found out someone couldn't read their's.

Good luck otherwise.

[quote name='Strell']Don't know how to help you know, but word from the wise: the moment you get any piece of electronic equipment, get some scotch tape and put it over the barcodes IMMEDIATELY after opening (use an exacto knife/razor for a cleaner look). It should literally be the first thing you do with any game system, audio/video equipment, laptop, etc.

This should be done with other sensitive things too. Best Buy Rewardzone cards are another example.

I've yet to come across a barcode sticker on any single item that is resistant to being worn away, and when I worked tech support, it was the bane of my existence when I found out someone couldn't read their's.

Good luck otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea. Thank you. Unfortunately my DS's serial number and barcode are already worn off thanks to it being a launch system. Oh well.

Happened to me with my GB Pocket. When I went to get it fixed, they charged me more because the serial # was faded like crazy. They'll give a new sticker during the repair.

[quote name='Strell']Don't know how to help you know, but word from the wise: the moment you get any piece of electronic equipment, get some scotch tape and put it over the barcodes IMMEDIATELY after opening (use an exacto knife/razor for a cleaner look). It should literally be the first thing you do with any game system, audio/video equipment, laptop, etc.

Good luck otherwise.[/quote]

Haha, this happened some time ago, so I've adapted -- I did this the moment I got my DS, with heavy duty transparent packing tape ;)

Thanks!

bread's done
Back