[GBA] Summon Night

nakedsushi

CAGiversary!
I just read today about a little rpg being brought over by Atlus called Summon Night.

Gamespot hands-on: http://www.gamespot.com/gba/rpg/summonnightcraftsm/index.html

I haven't heard anything else about it other than it's going to be out July 25th and the battle system is Tales-like. The screenies reminds me of Tales of Phantasia.

I'm thinking about preordering it just because it's Atlus and I don't want to end up paying $50 or not finding it at all when I get around to playing it.

Any thoughts?

Knew there was a post about this somewhere. Looks like the only review up is from Game Informer, but it's not viewable online yet. Anyone seen any reviews elsewhere?

If the OP's description is fairly accurate, I'd be interesting in picking this one up.

It's pretty Tales-like. I plan on getting it -- tried it out (ROM), and basically you have a bunch of weapons at your disposal, switchable during combat, IIRC. The game flows (in battle) pretty well.

Awesome. Wonder if EB stores will have it today. Have three games to trade in that will get me about $27, I'll just preorder if it hasn't arrived yet.

Speak of the devil, Nintendo Power arrives today and gives it an 8.0. Bad month for games though, rest of the licensed crap got 4.5-6.5.

I picked it up at EBGames (had to pre-order) yesterday and I'm about 2 hours in. I'm loving it so far. Weapon forging is fun. The battle system is what Tales of Phantasia on the GBA should have been. The dialog is typical Atlus humor: "Hammers don't just forge weapons. They forge WOMEN!" It's pretty much a dungeon crawler, which I love, since it means not getting lost in some huge world map.

The only downside is that the music is pretty annoying and band. Reminds me of budget NES titles. i haven't figured out how to turn it off yet =/

I'll probably be picking this up pretty soon. It looks like something I'd like to play, but won't be readily available in the future.

I've been playing it. I'm about 4 hours in. The weapons can break, but their endurance is restored at the end of each battle.

Its a cute little game. Somehow rampant with kiddie lesbians.

[quote name='pete5883']Breakable weapons? Is it OK like in Dark Cloud 2, or bad like in every other game that does it?[/quote]

I haven't played Dark Cloud 2, but it isn't breakable in the sense that weapons were breakable in Riviera. Your weapon has something like health. Some weapons have more health than others. At the beginning of a battle, it's at full health (ie: 70) and as you use it to hti and guard, the health guage goes down. If it goes down to 0 before the end of the battle, it breaks. But if you win the battle, the health gets reset to max again. Luckily, you have 3 weapons you can switch around during a regular battle, so you don't have to wear your weapon down.

The only time this has been a problem for me was in one of the latter craftslord tournament battles where they only let you have 1 weapon. It broke before I could win the tournament.:bomb:

EB's shipment for this got all screwed up when it was delayed, so I'm still waiting for them to get it. Hopefully this week.

[quote name='pete5883']And when a weapon breaks it disappears and you need to replace it with a new weapon?[/quote]

I'm not sure what happens in regular random encounters with monsters, but if your weapon breaks in a tournament, you lose. I think in a regular battle, if your weapon breaks, but you use another weapon and win the battle instead of run away, you keep the weapon shards. You can break the weapon shards down into materials and then make those materials into a new weapon.

Watched a gameplay video and... wow, this actually looks really cool. The game's well animated and the music is surprisingly good considering that the instrumentation is somewhere between the GBC and SNES. I want to see a review first, but I'm definitely a lot more interested in this than I was before.

This is quite a departure from what the rest of the series does though... Summon Night was originally a Strategy RPG.

bread's done
Back